What are numbers? are they absolutes or abstracts?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (71 posts)
  1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

Some people think that zero is nothing. I know for a fact that zero represents "cannot count".  Because we create units and assign numbers to them.  that is why zero=infinity.

Numbers are abstracts that allow us to measure whatever it is we like to measure. Zero is just a beginning of measurement or a direction of value.  You go to zero, you diminish in measurable value. You towards infinity, you diminish measurable value.

But numbers are abstract tools to measure whatever we want. we can count heads, or hairs, assign values like one head or million hairs. and count them in 1s or 1 million, two million etc all the while counting the same things.

Do you agree or disagree?

1. bestisland profile image58
      bestislandposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can you have zero zeros?

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree.
      Numbers are absolutes.
      It's only when people try to "crunch" the numbers that the situation gets iffy.  lol

3. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that numbers are abstracts - handy tools for measurement - but numbers only make sense when the units are agreed by users. Here's a great program on the difficulty involved in measuring and defining units - in this case "one degree" of temperature. I'm sure you'd enjoy it Cecilia if you had time to watch it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … ne_Degree/

This thread reminded me of another documentary I saw fairly recently where several top mathematicians proposed that numbers do not go on forever and that you cannot always add one. It was pretty mind boggling, but the basic idea was the number 1 represents the whole, therefore numbers can only represent fractions of the whole, which makes numbers finite, rather than infinite.

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

How many elephants in your sink, Cecila?

ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What was the temperature yesterday. That's right zero. Oh that's right celcius or fahrenheit? need to clarify what unit of measurement.

3. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Cecilia dent believe in integers. She says famous mathematicians don't either.

She will expand on this, I'm sure.

Point of reference: this all came about when Cecilia got terribly confused in another thread and didn't realize we were actually talking about logic zero and logic one. Ever reliable, she grabbed that and swam hard to prove  that nothing can be zero, but can only approach it. 

I've been laughing ever since.

That's like saying I don't believe in colors. smile

i however know what colors are. They are the illusion of my optic nerves. You however think that even if you are blind the color yellow still exists. If you are a fly, yellow is still a reality.

and you are laughing just like a two year old would laugh when I say, "you're a bag of mostly water." of course its funny to you.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where did you ever get that idea, Cecilia?  Trying to put words in my mouth?  Search around: you'll find me pointing out that yellow exists as a range of wavelengths over and over again.

Zero does not equal infinity.

Zero is an integer. Logical zero (which is what started you on this nonsense) is a representation of false.

Zero, the biography of a dangerous idea chapter 6.  chapter title : Infinity's Twin,
          the infinite nature of zero. -charles siefe

"Zero and infinity are two sides of the same coin, equal and opposite, yin and yang"

reviews: A stunning chronicle of denial, heresy, and grudging acceptance of zero and its companion concepts, infinity and void."
          -US news and world report.

Opposite.

OPPOSITE.

Not 0 =infinity.

Sheesh..

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Zero is nothing.

One is something.

And zero is the opposite of infinity.

Edit: Have a nice day. smile

really, then why is zero=infinity? because you are not counting absolutes, you are counting units of measurement.

zero=infinity because you both can't count them. after the whole number 1 fragment to fractions, it heads towards zero but never really gets there.

zero apples, 10 oranges. zero oranges, 2 apples. there is always a qualifier of what is being measured. in truth, zero represents starting point of measurement. not an actual value.

What does a logical zero count?

nothing. it doesn't count anything.  It however determines the position where measurement begins.

A logical zero determines position?

I'm still laughing. A little louder just now.

a beginning of measurement. yes.

it is a position of the number line that identifies value.

But if you count, scalp to one inch of hair. you start with scalp as zero. But when you are measuring density of scalp. does that make scalp zero still? no. zero is the beginning of measuring. But zero itself means nothing to count. not nonexistent.

2. ceciliabeltran profile image64

How many inches are your rainbow hair? then measure that in centimeters. then measure that in millimeters. Notice that the numbers are changing but the length of your hair has not grown?

numbers are units of measurements. they are abstracts.

What does logical zero measure?

This is where you went off the deep end in that other thread.

For those who were not there, I used a NAND gate as an example of a decision making mechanism and mentioned that its inputs and outputs are zero or one.

This sent Cecilia into a rant about zero not existing. She even read a book that says it doesn't exist, so therefore I was absolutely wrong about decision making.

This is why I am still laughing.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you go to my profile page and click the link at the top, one of my associates will discuss this with you.

well you can discuss it with oxford prof, kaplan. because he wrote a book explaining zero as a direction in his best-selling paperback the history of zero.  I cannot believe you guys don't understand what I mean that zero is a beginning,  a starting point of measurement.

zero degrees celsius in not the same as fahrenheit. the numbers are different but the heat presence is the same. it all depends where you start measuring.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

And I can’t believe you didn’t go to my profile page… smile

I did. your associates and oxford can discuss it.

*** POOF ***

oh, let me go through it, after I chew my milkfish and carrot.

I did look and was pleased to see mandelbrot sets...did not find the zero hub though, send me a private email with the link.

It’s been known to make people’s heads explode so be careful.

In fact, I’ve just reread it…

2. Beelzedad profile image58
            Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

____*____*____*____
                  -1       0     +1

Notice that it doesn't go:

____*_____*____
                   -1      +1

smile

notice how you're the only one who is not getting the argument. lol

Yeah. He's the only one Cecilia.

How many elephants?

What is a logical zero?

what is the temperature? zero degrees are you frozen solid?

5. superwags profile image65
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

I'd question whether infinity can exist. It doesn't make sense in terms of representing a number. I guess it's down to interpretation, we need it for calculations obviously. It is an interesting concept. It certainly is't an absolute.

The largest finite number s Graham's number. But there isn't enough space in the universe to write it down. We know that the last digit is a seven.

it is just a way of saying "cannot be counted". in truth zero has no opposite.

but people here think that zero and infinity are opposites. they are  not. they are equal, because both cannot be measured, cannot be counted. my daughter gets this. and she's 6.

Well, that does it then.  If a six year old believes it, it must be true.

no she figured it out. by thinking about it. luckily her abstract reasoning is the 95th percentile as measured by standardized tests.

I have her beat.  I score above that by far.  99+ on all measures except spatial reasoning (I can't fold up little boxes in my mind).

So I guess that's that, right?  I'm smarter so I win.  Standardized tests say so.

well, it doesn't seem that way since you cannot get the concept that numbers are measuring units. but WE assign the units.

For instance your hair, and the heads in your house.
              I can count in hair, or in heads.
              in ones or in tens. It all depends on where I start counting or what I'm counting.

So your premise of losing wallet is not zero, it's negative wallet. because you are measuring wallet that used to exist. clear? not clear. maybe you should retake those standardized tests. they improve in time you know. how long has it been?

2. skyfire profile image80
          skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. superwags profile image65
        superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Zero can be measured. You just have to have defined a scale against which to measure it. It doesn't need an opposite.

It is essential to mathematics and quantifiable by mathematics and is therefore a number.

A number is a unit of measurement. And zero is the beginning of measurement. It does necessarily mean there is nothing there.

the confusion here is a true zero can ever be achieved. it is a direction of counting in the number line.

1. superwags profile image65

Again, it depends upon the scale; it is a number between -1 and 1. What temperature does water freeze at (to the nearest whole)? Zero doesn't have to be the start of a measurement.

True zero can't be achieved in terms of physics inside of the universe. That's what universe is; maths, effectively. Is that what you mean?

If I have one donut I eat that donut. How many donuts do I have. Absolutely zero. Am I close?

Yep, you're bang on.

until you start measuring the donuts in molecules. that's when the number changes.

see, it depends on what you start measuring.

That isn't how we measure donuts.

Once the number has been assigned to a concept then it becomes absolute. It doesn't mean that zero doesn't exist, it does, look at the temperature scales that you just mentioned; both have zero intergers.

2. ceciliabeltran profile image64

really? did you check your teeth? You could have 1/100th of a donut.

Trust me I got it all.

lol you licked your fingers and everything?

Everyday I learn something here. Today it is Graham's number (pesky arrows...). smile

Graham's number...that is new. (beelzedad, is still giving me elementary arguments....glad to know YOU CAN ACTUALLY LEARN SOMETHING NEW IN FORUMS)

1. Beelzedad profile image58
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Considering that your understanding of the subject matter does not appear to have achieved elementary levels as yet, the response was fitting and easily refuted your assertions. smile

In the Education and Science Forum, yes. smile

As to certain other well-known forums… lol

2. superwags profile image65

Graham's number is so large that if you could write a sigle digit of it on an atom, then there wouldn't be enough atoms in the universe to fit it on.

Isn't science baffling and wonderful?!

the amount of things the human mind can conceive is indeed wonderful, and that extends outside of things we can prove.

human imagination is truly a wonderful thing.

You ought to know..

yes, live vicariously through me. Because your wiring makes it impossible for you. I'm really sorry but it is true.

My wiring certainly is different than yours. I have to agree with that.

However, unlike you, I actually understand mathematicss, science and logic.  I don't read books and misunderstand them so badly that I make ridiculous statements as you have here.

mathematiccssssss...?

like the non-ridiculous statements you made about proving no gods exists because  sentience needs a storage of memory, but only if sentience is not measured or defined. yes absolutely your wiring is different.

The ridiculous statements that none of you can refute without magic..

6. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Eh ? Zero is not an infinite number.

Zero is absence of quantifiable whereas infinite numbers are things which are not quantifiable. You don't count zero stars in the sky but you do attempt to count few starts out of infinity(which is again assumption that there are infinite to begin with).

quantifiable is the correct term.

you assign what is being measured. zero is not descriptive of a thing. or an existence. it is descriptive of a position in the measurement of things.

zero is when no "thing" can be measured. thing being an X which you can assign.

zero is an abstract.

7. fatfist profile image65
    fatfistposted 13 years ago

Last Sunday Service, my Pastor told me that he was going to show me a "zero"-dimensional Black Hole, of "infinite"-density.

I freaked out...so I immediately called the police and had him arrested for attempted indecent exposure. I hope that jail-time will teach him to choose his words wisely.

8. Apepperson profile image60
    Apeppersonposted 13 years ago

I had a theory about numbers after I barely passed Algebra I. After passing Algebra II with a steep grading curve and flunking Trig, my theory was proven to be a fact.

Numbers are Evil! Pure Evil!

lol you had bad teachers and you probably missed one class and the rest unravelled. Math understanding is based on a heirarchy of knowledge. if you missed a class, then the picture will be confusing.

good teachers have been known to make mathematicians out of artist types.

9. ceciliabeltran profile image64
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

Hey, look the dictionary has all the definitions, including mine!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/zero

10. Susana S profile image94
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

On another point, when talking about zero it's well worth looking at the history of zero: http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/about/zero.jsp

I think zero is a function, not an absolute.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)