Have you ever googled your hubpages penn name?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Brie Hoffman profile image59
    Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

I just did and found a bunch of places that have my articles...they all give me credit but I never knew that they existed before.  Are these considered backlinks?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A backlink is a link between any page and any other page. So yes.

If they have copied and pasted your entire article then you can ask them to take it down.

Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, they did but they put my name on it so I think it benefits me...right?

1. weblog profile image57
          weblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think if they've copied completely, then it's not helpful even if it's linked to the source.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
          Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't benefit you if your article shows up as duplicate content where duplicate content is frowned on or prohibited.   It also doesn't help you with getting viewers to your Hub.

3. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you familiar with the concept of plagiarism?  If not, you may want to read up on it, as it's less beneficial than you think.

But they gave me credit, my name is on it so that isn't plagiarism.

1. relache profile image72
              relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course if you don't mind someone stealing your work and profiting from that, you can just ignore my advice.

2. Pcunix profile image89
              Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, but if they copied your article without your permission, it is copyright infringement.  Linking back to you doesn't change that.

Ok, thanks

2. profile image56
    TajSinghposted 13 years ago

Hi Brie! It can be considered as a "backlink to your hub" if it has a live click-able link which points to your hub. If they didn't place a link to your hub, if you want to, you can ask the site owner to place a link to your hub or you can also ask them to take down the page.

If your original article had a link to let's say your blog, and they copied the whole article including the links, then we can say that the page is a "backlink to your blog". If they stripped the links and only copied the text, you can ask the site owner to include the links or take down the page.

It's nice that they republished your article. It's beneficial to you since your name is mentioned as the author. It would be more beneficial if it serves as a backlink. However they should have asked you first as it is stated in the Copyright Infringement guidelines of Hubpages here: http://hubpages.com/help/copyright_infringement

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I'v done it before, but when I saw this thread I just thought I'd google my name again.   Most of the time I pretty much "get" what I run into - whether it's "legitimate" or not.

This time I ran into a really weird thing.  Maybe someone else knows how this kind of thing works, or what has gone on?

I got a cooking dot com site when I Googled my name (as if something I've written is on it).  There I found a ton of links to my HubPages articles, but also profile.  REALLY - I never have anything to do with "anything cooking".   :rolleyes".   THEN, I found they added other links to a page on Amazon, but first they used my name in the link (like, "Lisa HW blah blah blah") (These links have nothing to do with anything I've written at all.)  (The Amazon page IS a page with cooking stuff being sold on it.)

I'm not too thrilled with what I found.   mad   Anyway, might anyone know what someone was doing with that?  Trying to get me in trouble, by any chance I wonder?  If nothing else, they're trying to sell Amazon stuff...

1. Lisa HW profile image61

And now I'm REALLY irked.  I looked at the search page again and saw that something about a handwriting analysis for Lisa HW come up.  I clicked, and there's a fake handwriting thing, with personality traits described!!!   mad

Oh - I just went back and looked again.  It's actually a .org site!   I've NEVER given a handwriting sample.  I never use handwriting (except for my own grocery lists or to sign birthday cards).

1. ThomasE profile image68
        ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hm. if it contains amazon.com links, complain to amazon.com asking them why their affiliates are stealing your work?

Thomas, the weird thing is they didn't steal my articles.  They included link after link to my different HubPages pages, including my profile - only the links aren't real.  They're working links that go to Amazon pages with products on them.

I just looked more closely...  What they did was make a link with something like, "Lisa HW on HubPages".  Then they stole a few words from my profile, and added their own stuff.  They did it with some Hub titles or similar things too. 

I do think Amazon may need to get an e.mail.   hmm

I just looked at it even more closely.  They have "tons" of things with my name in them, and it looks like what follows under the link is a bunch of spun stuff.   I copied the whole page, but I don't want to put it here because I don't know if it would look like I'm "promoting" the names of my Hubs in the forums.  Anyway, here's the one with my profile as a link (only to the Amazon page):

Lisa HW On HubPages

Residing in New England we write upon the freelance as well as stipulate basement In the prior hold up we worked in the corporate sourroundings during the tall tech

-----------

The first four words are what I've had on my profile until very recently.  The rest of it is spun-looking stuff.

4. wheelinallover profile image75
    wheelinalloverposted 13 years ago

When I saw this I decided to try it. My nick was at the top of the page and it lead to Hub Pages but to an article I didn't write. I had to push the newest button to get to my articles. My ezine article didn't show up.

5. Brie Hoffman profile image59

I had to look through several pages and the articles were on pages 1, 2 and I think 3.  So you have to go past the first couple of entries when you do it.  Thanks for all the advice...I will look at these articles again and see if I really want them to stay up.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

that's interesting. I just searched mine and found a blogger page with a similar title to my hub, with no article, only a video about the topic. Underneath there are comments posted with my name, twice, with a link to my hub. Underneath 'searches' on the page is my name. The name of the blogger page is a Chinese restaurant.. the link to the hub comes to my page, but the link with my name goes to his page.. I think he will get a message from me!

this person is using people's names to post comments! I didn't post any comments on this page.

It's quite an eye opener isn't it!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well, I've done it before and found some interesting things, but this is the first time I've ever seen a page about Chinese restaurants in Tuscon with a video about the Louvre and comments posted with my name with two hyperlinks back to the same page and a link to my hub! I guess people will try anything.

Warning:  This post is obviously a rant/vent.  I just had to post it, though. 

The blog I found looks like an otherwise perfectly normal one about cooking.   Everything looks perfectly normal (and even professional) about it, and there's the list of all kinds of cooking-related subjects.  It's that the the "links" (which aren't links to me or my stuff at all) with my name on the them is huge.

There's not just "links" (which really go to Amazon) to HubPages or my Hubs.  It's - like - every ridiculous thing I have online - Yahoo answers, blogs I have or haven't done much with, sites that have my name somewhere (but mostly Hubs).  That list of "links" associated with my name makes the otherwise decent blog look stupid.  I actually wondered if some virus may be involved.

There's another thread on here about how JC Penney was being found in searches about unrelated stuff...   This made me think of that - only, unlike them, I haven't hired anyone to do anything "funny" with search engines.  Having my name show up at that site if someone were to search for it (and I can't even imagine anyone would ever be searching for it anyway  roll) looks like I'm the one who has done something questionable with the Amazon program.  That's the thing that irks/concerns me most. 

The "blurbs" under the links with my name are obviously a matter of spun words, some of which were probably taken from my real pages.  The rest is spun nonsense.  I did note a couple of places (separate from the links) with the word, "Bangalore" (shocking!!  roll)

Of course, I don't know a lot about this kind of thing; but I'm thinking "taking" any URL that includes a HubPages.com in it makes HubPages look as "iffy" as this could make me look.

I wrote to the HP team, Amazon, etc. and sent this e.mail to the "blog person":

EMAIL:

"I don't really understand why my name and titles, and whatever else that relates to me, has shown up so substantially on your blog, which is supposedly dealing with cooking. 

As you may or may not realize, each link that's supposed to go my writing or profile instead goes to an Amazon page that's selling stuff.  I suspect there's a strong possibility that if either Amazon or Google discovered this virus (or whatever "gliche" there may be in some feed, or something); you would lose your Amazon affiliate account if you have one.

Because it is my responsibility to monitor anything "questionable" associated with my HubPages (and other) accounts, I'll handle inquiries on my end of things.  I thought it would be fair to mention this to you, in case some virus has made its way to your computer or this blog."

It looks to me like the long row of stuff associated with my name is on at least two of their pages, because there's - like - 20 such entries on one page and another 20 or so on another.    This particular site is on the second page after searching.

Of course, I don't want to post a link because I don't want to send it traffic.  I made copies of this thing, thinking about how I'd post it for all to see  (which, of course, would just be exercising my urge to try to shame someone who doesn't have any shame anyway - or else someone who could possibly, I suppose, be the victim of a virus or something similar).

I thought about removing the identifying information, just to show people (for some reason) the kind of stuff that can go on; but then I realized posting pictures or copied words from the site would amount to my doing copyright infringement.   hmm

It isn't even really the thing, itself, that irks me; because I'm used to a lot of foolishness.  Some of it isn't just "foolishness", though.   I mean..   for all I know, someone could search my name (maybe even someone who's opinion of me, as a writer, mattered "work-wise"); see this baloney on this blog I have nothing to do with, and think I set up the blog and did the whole "baloney thing" as a way of trying to sell stuff on Amazon.

A lot of this stuff I've always been able to mostly overlook.  If someone takes words or a name out of your profile and turns them into their own user name (or something like that), it's kind of irksome, but you can't even really be sure that's what they did (although in a some cases, let's face it, it's kind of obvious  lol )  This, though...   this one has the potential of making me look bad, and even possibly causing one problem or another for me. 

I'm not thrilled (but, by the way, there have been quite a few things recently that have happened like this, so it isn't this one, thread, that "got me going".  If I weren't already in a "got-going" mood, I probably wouldn't haven't searched my name at the suggestion of it.   hmm

I don't really want to, or like to, be "all negative" on here; but - I don't know... - sometimes a person needs to do some venting.

7. Brie Hoffman profile image59

OK, there were 2 articles that just references 2 articles but did not re-post the entire article but one had the entire article with amazon ads.  It did have my name but it did not refer back to the hub-pages article, so I just wrote to the website author and asked them to take it down.

One problem can be that people with things like blogs, and in some other countries, pretty much post whatever they want.  That person is using your work to try to make Amazon sales.   There's someone in another country who has an article of mine on his blog, and he says, "I found this article on....." and makes no effort to pretend he wrote it.    He doesn't have Google ads on the article, but he's trying to sell the product (and I'm guessing, earn from doing that in ways whoever earns whatever in his country).

It irks me, because the article can be found in search engines.  This guy isn't bound by things that govern US Internet writers, though; and since he doesn't have Google ads, there's no threat of losing an Ad Sense account either.  So this clown gets to just use my article to sell stuff from his site, and there's not much anyone can do about it.  It really irks me that these people can be so blatant; but there's a point where I can't be bothered trying to further "follow up" or hope to get anything done about it.  (I sure would like to slap the heck out of this kid, though - just because he has the gall.  lol)

Yeah, there is only so much I can worry about.

8. dandan594 profile image59
    dandan594posted 13 years ago

I Googled my name and got 24,600 results ..... Wow I have been busy.

9. wheelinallover profile image75
    wheelinalloverposted 13 years ago

I remembered from last night and tried a google search again. I now have one link that leads to one of my articles. I haven't found any links that lead anywhere other than hub pages, one does lead to an article I didn't write.

10. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I just Googled mine and there are 36,000 associated references listed. Google said about that. lol

Time to start clickin', Cagsil.   lol    Second thought:  Don't.  You never know how soon into it you'll find someone that aggravates the heck out of you.   smile

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Lisa, I've done that before, clicking on links to see where they go. It's odd the way Google search engine works as well as many other types of search engines.

However, I no intention on tracking down any of the links. Many of them are caused by myself, either through Twitter, RSS feeds and Shared by others on their own sites. I've a few articles that people have asked if they could share with others from their own site and I've checked on those. Those only have the title of my hub and a link, with a suggestion for reading. smile

11. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Less than 24 hours from the time I sent Amazon an e.mail (quite a bit less), I received an reply from Amazon, and it was satisfying to me that it wasn't just the usual, automated, kind of e.mail businesses send out to let people know their e.mails were received.  The e.mail they sent back made it clear that my complaint "registered", and it said they sent the info to whoever handles such things.  As a lot of others on here may already know, they included links to indicate whether the reply "did it" or not.  Clicking the "yes, did it" link gets you to a "thanks", and that's the end of it. 

It was a satisfying way to be able to put an end to that "state of irked-ness" that I had after seeing questionable stuff associated with my name.  I like a company that helps people to not feel helpless.  What they do or don't do from here isn't my business.  At least I have my "electronic paper trail" to deal with any of the potential problems I was envisioning/imagining.

1. ThomasE profile image68
      ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, it is scary. Even as a relative newbie, I have had my words stolen... but to have your name attached to something that you didn't even write... that is really weird.

12. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Take it VERY Seriously Lisa...

Effectively Your Identity had been stolen!

There is No Mistake made by some 'nice' blogger who may have unwittingly got your stuff!!!
    They have basically diverted a percentage of your links to their own sites Intentionally!! I have had to do some of this 'recovery' work also after finding that both my hub traffic to those 'hijacked' hubs and all of my Amazon traffic had virtually disappeared!

Amazon are well aware of this problem but neglect to close down the ability of the thieves to act on the stolen IDs. I found that Indonesia was a place that many of them came from.  You Collect their IP Addresses and provide Amazon with it in AN ASSERTIVE Report to them... and they then will act. Go Check your traffic and Amazon sales records from those diverted URLs.. I think you may then see the intent of your Nice Blogger who probably runs 100 + sites with your 'Rich Content!'

The Big Question is: How are they able to Steal from this site.. huh?
    IDs, hubs, the lot!

Kick Their Damn Butts!

13. Don Simkovich profile image60
    Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

I've Googled my Hubpages pen name ... and up came a warrant for my arrest!

(Kidding)

14. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

One of the hits I got led to what I assume is an article directory. It had lists of articles from articlebase, about.com, HubPages, brighthub, and article basement.  All of the articles had one word in common.  The titles were linked to their original articles, and they were all correctly attributed.  They did not include the entire article, but just a brief blurb for each, and the only way to get to the articles was through the linked titles.  I assumed this was an okay backlink, but I admit I have so much to learn that I'm not sure.  Any comments, anyone?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)