What would be the weakness of Evangelical Christians today?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (75 posts)
  1. Van Lal Hmangaih profile image69
    Van Lal Hmangaihposted 13 years ago

When you look various churches today, what can we say about the weakness of Christians and churches? What are the issues that we are facing in the church today? If we see their weakness, how can we help and develop to be more effective and relevant for people surround us?

1. kess profile image59
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

blind leaders and blind followers.....

Blindness is their only error....

Van Lal Hmangaihposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kess,  in what areas, blind leaders and blind followers are blinded? Can you clarify your arguments?

1. kess profile image59

Find the scribes and pharisees and you find the christians

Know the blindness of the scribes and pharisees and you know the blindness of the christians.

They both build a foundation of a false word of god...thus thier foundation itself is ignorance or blindness.

Kess, thank you for your answers... Is there anything that you want to say about the openness of the christian? Or you do not see any openness of Christian?

1. kess profile image59

All a christian need to do is to forsake their word of god so that they may find the true word of God...

In that they would free themselves from their blindness and hypocrisy.

But I tell you truly as long as a christian remain a christian his blindness will remain.

I see,,... kess, can you share me about your belief? If i am not offended to you. I love to hear from your own experience how you come to know Jesus or how you become a christian? Or the reason you don't want to be a christian?

1. kess profile image59

WHY DO YOU ASK THESE QUESTIONS?

Are you going to write a book, or sermon, or just boast among the brethren about the great work that god has done through you in this forum.

If that is the case then moast assuredly I tell you will speak falsely of me just as christian speak falsely about Christ, whom they call Jesus. and this is inevitable because they never knew him just as you can never know me....as long as you remain christian.

Any man whose identity is within a religious circle be it christian ,jew, muaslim etc, or a proffession as doctor, lawyer etc.., That one is in error and do not yet know the Christ nor himself.

For the Father does not make followers, for followers do not know what the father is about... but the Father only has Son...These sons know exactly the Father business and there isno heirachy among the Father nor the Sons...

So Just as the father is So I am and Just as the Christ is so I am.

So therefore whosoever seek after the second coming of the Christ and do not find it as themselves are still under the influence of the antichrist which has already dominated this entire world...and christianity as the chief henchman.

Kess , thank you for your comment. The reason is that i want to know the weakness of Christianity as i am a believer of Christ. So that we can learn from our weakness to be more like Christ in action, life and ministry.
                       Tell me more about your views on Christians, i am pleasure to read your comments

2. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

clinging to superstition eg that disease is caused by sin/demons is not exactly helpful.  Neither is attacking evolution with twisted lies. 

And christians from different denominations are at odds with one another & argue that their interpretation of bible/doctrine is only true one

Being hyper-judgmental and treating their belief as fact is also highly irritating

Baileybear, thank you for your contribution! what else that you would like to say about Christianity today?

1. profile image0

I think childhood indoctrination is wrong.  Also christians do not take enough personal responsibility - every thing bad is blamed on humans or the devil.

I don't see how people living in a time when they didn't have flush toilets can be relevant today.

Baileybear, the point you mention " every thing bad is blamed on humans or the devil" is true. Some times, when good things happen to us, we just believe that it's from the Lord, but when bad things happen to us, we say that it's from Satan,. In fact, some are inflicted to us by Satan but not all.. Sometimes, because of our own wrong choice, we encounter problems and hardship in life. In such issue, than we don't want to take responsibility.  I find that prayers, seeking God's will and asking his discernment for every decision that we make is so critical because God know the best for us and but if we ignore to seek his will in our life, it is easy to make a wrong choice due to our limited understanding... thank you for comment..

1. getitrite profile image71
              getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You just turned around and did exactly what Baileybear said Christians do.

You just took some of the blame for bad things off of Satan, and placed it squarely on man...but totally excused your God.

Are you completely unconscious of how insane your religion is?

If the masses of deluded people could start to think critically, instead of listening to absurd assertions like yours, this fraudulent belief would be finished.

1. profile image0
                just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey getitrite. This is just a good man, trying to find insight. I don't think he wanted to argue the point of religion. Your comments might be perceived as ludicrous.

Then I gave him all the insight he should need.  His whole belief system is a fraud.  Should I lie to this "good man?"

But religion is the problem. Organized religion is a scam that should be done away with.  This should resolve all his questions.

Being angry makes you say some absurd things sometimes.  Why don't you just say that you are angry with me.

1. profile image0

I'm not angry with you. I was simply pointing out that your posts were so off base to what he is trying to accomplish that you are wasting your time, and not coming from a position you might want to remember later. That's all.

2. profile image0

Getitrite's comments aren't ludicrous to me.  He hasn't sugar-coated his comments, that's all.

2. profile image0

yet, God murdered more people than satan in the bible & inflicted all humans with illness, death and suffering for the first human's first mistake - eating a piece of fruit - what kind of parent is that to punish way out of proportion to the crime? 

The God in the OT is no better than Hitler.  How can you say you love him?

1. profile image0

I've said this before, but I'll post it again for you benefit. By the atheists on this site's count, they say God has slain thirty two million since the count started. In the last hundred years atheistic regimes have slaughtered over one hundred seventy million. Perhaps, you could enlighten me as to which is the more deadly philosophy. If you won't open your eyes to the horrors of the world we live in, why on earth do you harp about the distant past?

1. simeonvisser profile image69
                  simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Strictly speaking, you'd need to adjust the calculations for the number of people on the planet. When there are less people around, the total death count will of course be lower. However, that does not mean God was any less brutal.

1. profile image0

Please continue to wear your blinders. It's worked out well so far. That is not the intent of the message of the Old Testament. That was a bloody world. If you doubt the Bible, read the history book you trust. That was the God for that world. The New Testament shows a view of what the world could be. If we'd work together. Whether we believe in a God or not, the lessons contained are  invaluable.

2. profile image0

are you making excuses for your god?  you're comparing apples with oranges.  What makes you think your god hasn't gone on to kill more?  Especially if he/she/its the same yesterday, today, forever

1. profile image0

Inasmuch as you have no concept of my  concept God, we cannot argue the point. But, I do understand where you are coming from. Really I do. Transfer the blame from the shoulders of who it should really sit on. Go look in the mirror. Imagine 7 billion others doing the same. You might catch a glimpse of the magnitudeof the true problem.

3. getitrite profile image71

It's amazing that, with the phenomenal advances in science, people can still be persuaded to believe in the nonsense taught by churches. 

The weakness of the church is that more people are waking up to the BS, and understanding that they have been outright lied to as a method to control them and their wallets.

getitrite, thank you for your comment.. Actually, as much as i am loved by Jesus, you are also loved by Him. Oneday, i pray that you would realize who loves you more than you love yourself.. It is Jesus who die for me and you !
        If you have more complains about Christianity, please do it more and i want to listen more from you!

Based upon reality, you have nothing but a superstitious myth backing your statement up, making it, in essence a lie...this is a weakness--the inability to tell the truth.

No offense, but you really need to present some proof of these nonsensical statements you make.  No one, to my knowledge, has died for me, and this is outright misrepresenting my life story.

No you don't.  It goes in one ear, and flies out the other.

2. profile image0
        zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sience progress may be phenomenal, most people are still mentally at a methaphysical stage.
        Just look around and read the papers (or the forums).
        How many of us would know how a pressure cooker really works ?
        A lot of people still think that a kilo of lead should be heavier than a kilo of cotton and given the same volume, lead  should fall faster...
        So god is here to save his children...

Sounds hopeless.

1. profile image0
            zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry. I didn't mean that.
            I was just caricaturizing to illustrate the point of view.
            For a lot of us, the only hope is god.
            For some others, hope is in human species, solidarity and cooperation among humans.
            Education and enlightening knowledge, in order to gain independence from superstition, blind violence, ethnocentrism and sectarism, so we can raise our children in peace.

4. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The biggest problem I see is the people who are uncharitable. If we all consistantly devoted a little time each week or even month to the building up of our communities, and donated a little money to the less fortunate, then Christianity would show proof to the rest of the unbelieving world of the blessings which the holy life has to offer.

Onusonus, thank you for that thoughtful concern about charity. Do you mean that Christians are not engaging enough to social concern like injustice in society, charity to the poor and so on,.... I find also in this way, we, the church need to be waken by the Holy Spirit... I appreciate for your comment.

1. profile image0
          Onusonusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not so much social injustices, but rather when I go to church I tend see too many members who just don't have the ability to get off their butts and do the things that they are supposed to in order to build up the kingdom of God on earth.
          You have congregations full of people who love the lord, they come to church every Sunday, and for the most part they raise good families. But God want's more from them. It is a undeniable fact that the world is seet up so people have to be charitable in order for everyone to survive. There are destitute people out there and we need to seek them out, and pull them out of the mire.

5. Beelzedad profile image59
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Morals, ethics, the capacity for rational thought.

Other than covering up morally and ethically bankrupt clergy buggering boys behind the pulpit all the while chastising and spitting venom at homosexuals?

Don't pray. Take action. Do something about it. Immediately. smile

well thought and good suggestion, it is not only enough to pray for them, we have to do our part... i agree that. However, beyond what we can do in their lives, God's intervention only change them... We do our part and God will do his part... thanks for your comment

1. Beelzedad profile image59

But, you haven't done a thing, nothing at all but cover it up and pretend it didn't happen. What action have you or anyone else taken against these hypocritical atrocities? What part have you done? smile

6. Pandoras Box profile image59
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Update your entire story to something more believable. Most people just aren't that stupid anymore.

Honestly I believe it is hopeless for religion. In a couple more generations christianity will have become completely irrelevant.

Switch to buddhism or paganism or witchcraft. All of these are more believable and will of course last a bit longer.

Pandoras , there is always hope for those who have personal relationship with Jesus.. I wish one day you will realize how much Jesus loves you! Thank you for your comment

7. pylos26 profile image70
      pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sinful greed?

2. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

I don't go to any church, but I can tell you why I don't.

Holier than thou. Do as I say, not as I do.

Everyone, except this particular congregation is bound for hell. Christian, or otherwise.

We've got some insight on the meaning of  uninterpretable text.

We are going to be 'raptured'. Sorry, the rest of you will simply have to deal with the aftermath.

These concepts push people away. I didn't step away from the faith but organized religion, in the manner our religion has evolved, pushes an agenda I can't agree with.

Hi Just_curious, thank you for your interaction about my questions.  If i am not mistaken your words, do you mean by saying this " Holier than thou. Do as I say, not as I do", the church leaders or the church do not practice what they are saying. Or they feel themselves that they are better than any one else in this world?

How do you think about the nearness of rapture? If i am not mistaken, seems that you are waiting the immediate rapture that will come for the people of God to be with our Savior? Can you more clarify your believe on this issues. I am expecting to read more of your comments... thank you for your thoughts.... God bless...

1. profile image0

The perception many have, myself included, is that a large percentage of Christians pay lip service to their Creator. They do not attempt to incorporate the teachings of Christ in their every day life. This does not reflect well. And yes, at times it does come off quite strongly that some Christians might believe themselves to be better than others.

As far as the Rapture? Who knows. Jesus said that even the Son of Man did not know the time. Christians have anticipated the imminent return for over two thousand years. I think it might be past the time to realize no one knows when that time will come. To be honest, if there is going to be a Rapture, and that concept is open for conjecture; I doubt many of us have led a life worthy of the honor.

I have faith in Christ. Not much faith left in man's ability to understand the meaning of His message.

Well, that's pretty true, no objection to some points, However, i think there are also thousands who sacrificially give their lives for the Lord and His ministry . In lip service Christianity, i think we should take serious on our identity as Christians to be salt and light. It is true that we should leave lip service and practice in personal life..
            How do you think what would be the reasons that many Christians can't practice what they say? Or do not practice what they believe? What would be the reasons and what are your suggestions to help them?

1. profile image0

I don't know. The log in my own eye keeps me pretty busy. But, I think we forget sometimes that Christ, when preaching to the people, simply told them to look into their own hearts. No one else's. If we simply focused on trying to be better, as individuals, our example would be seen as a gift to the world; which might cause more people to understand the miracle of Christ. And want to know more.

3. stilljustwonderin profile image60
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

Just curious pretty much summed it up for me too.

It seems people can see the wrongs of others, but not their own.
    No one is perfect, and we are not going to be while we are here.

Stilljustwonderin, thank you for your pretty much curious on my question. You know i think in this way. As persons, it is very difficult to know our weakness by ourselves unless others tell us. That is my belief. The reason why i ask this question is that i would like to know how people see our Christianity? From that, we can learn what is our weakness, strong points and will find ways to progress in our journey of faith.
      I think you will see some weakness in our Christianity. If you are a christian, you may also share with us what is your experience in the church and ministry?  If you are not a christian, how do you see about Christianity? Anyway, thank you for your contribution

1. stilljustwonderin profile image60
        stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi.  I am a Christian.  As with just curious, I got tired of sitting in church hearing that if you weren't of that denomination you were going to hell.  I believe God looks at our hearts and not what denomination we claim to be.
        No one is perfect.  I'm not perfect.  I also felt like the preacher should stop trying to not offend and speak the truth.  Ya know, step on my toes!    My toes never got stepped on so I felt that something was missing.

1. Beelzedad profile image59

That's odd. I would suspect that believers would welcome such threats of eternal damnation considering they make those threats all the time.

I suppose a dose of their own medicine is the only thing believers understand. smile

4. Tony L Smith profile image52
    Tony L Smithposted 13 years ago

I think the church, or at least organized religion has put our creator in a box they they can understand. They have made Him like unto themselves.
    Therfore God has had to go outside of the box to accomplish a lot of His advancements. I am so glad He is not limited to organized church.

Tony L Smith, that is pretty and awesome comment! Some times, yea, we limit God by our own understanding..  Can you give some of your thoughts about how to give God out from the box?

5. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

The biggest problem I see is that many know the Word but few know His voice.  Paul wrote about some coming in word but that he came in power. 

The Holy Ghost has been pushed aside by so many, yet there are many who still follow the Holy Ghost. 

Many are still immmature in Christ while others are mature.  They want to remain carnal in their thinking and in their lives while holding onto God.   

Too many talk badly about organization instead of trying to fix it.  God is not a God of organizations but He is a God of people.  This doesn't make organization bad.  God is also a God of order.

1. profile image58
      Hell N0posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The very word evangelical is sinonimous with false doctrine, in my opinion.

ahaha... good! Can we clarify the reason why you say it is " synoninous with false doctrine" ?

1. profile image58

Read my hubs buddy.  I don't mention them all but every major christian church doctrine is either totally or partially unscriptural.

2. kess profile image59

See what I mean with this post?

Their word of god is ineffective and without power.
      Nevertheless they persist with it anyway and cast the blame else where and as you can see with another false doctrine which makes their word of god separate from the Holy Spirit.

But without those falacies christianity cannot be.... so they must continue with the statue quo....

forever learning and never knowing...

3. Van Lal Hmangaih profile image69

well comment i guess...Kess.. in which denomination you belong to? Your opinion is good to keep in mind for better understanding how people see about Christianity

1. kess profile image59

come on man open your eyes

Kess, go a head, i am listening ... i love to read your comments .. i really do.

2. profile image0

Not to appear unkind, but I think when kess describes himself as the i am earlier, he was implying where he believes himself to stand in the pecking order.

It is good that we come up with different perspective and that is important to better understanding ...

6. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

One more thing I think needs to be added.  It is hard to get anyone to agree on almost everything.  Everyone wants to go their own way it sems anymore instead of going the Way that is ordained of God.

1. profile image58

It's knowing what is ordained of God Dent.  And you obviously don't know.

2. profile image0

even christians can't agree, so must be pretty hard to figure out what the right 'way' is

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It really isn't that hard.  Follow after Jesus.  He knows the Way because He paved the Way and is the Way.

Your version of Jesus, or one of the other 30,000 versions?
          That's not very simple to me.

7. graceomalley profile image82
    graceomalleyposted 13 years ago

I am a Christian and would like to answer the question.

Main shortcomings of the traditional church:
    1) Pastors are like celebrities. Personally troubled, immature, charismatic, larger than life personalities with alot of family problems and substance abuse issues. (This may be just the US, if you are in another part of the world maybe this is different.)
    2) Churches are very control focused and enforce conformity.
    3) Churches and parachurch ministries use high pressure tactics to fund raise, and the poor are a disproportionate target.
    4) The church population is little different from the general population in terms of moral behavior and troubled relationships. Children of church leaders tend to be more troubled than average, not healthier than average. The divorce rate is the same in and out of the church. Considering that Jesus spoke so strongly against divorce, why aren't His followers at least a few percentage points above those who make no claim to follow Him?

One has to wonder how serious these people are about Jesus.

1. profile image0

my observations also.  Does this put you off being a christian?

8. Tony L Smith profile image52
    Tony L Smithposted 13 years ago

First, let me say that I also have limited myself to my understanding of the kingdom of God. I have also put God in a box so to speak. I have been and still am part of an organized group of believers who meet.
    To get God out of the box, I would have to agree with Sirdent's comment. Many know the Word but don't know His voice. To get out of the box you have to obey His voice. Our actions speak louder than our words. His voice will always cause us to take up our cross, die to our own opinions and bear fruit.
    And no, you can't please everybody, so just please the one who loves everbody.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)