Quitting smoking, day one early morning...

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (27 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

So thats only a few hours by my math (however long I have been awake). Got me some really stale gum from last time! I didn't know if it was even likely to be rancid or what lol but its OK was just stale. I might have more in the flat but I will probably want to buy some more anyway. I keep fixating on how well or not well I am doing and even feeling proud feels like another way to fixate. Maybe I should go argue about who has the cooler God on a religious forum lol (by the way, mines the coolest, she wears shades cool)

Well anyway I thought I would share here. If over the next week you see me in a thread arguing who has the cooler God, or whatever, don't be fooled, I am just seeing if arguing over god helps cravings. Could be a use for religion in this world yet wink tongue

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah - It doesn't help.

Bitch time for me was 3 months in - get past that and you are home clear.

2. profile image0
    zampanoposted 13 years ago

Go jogging.
    Enjoy your new breathing capacity that will grow each day (if you're still young).
    And that pleasure is the most effective medicine to remain a non smoker.
    Congratulations.

kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think counting the money saved might be more enjoyable lol (its why we are quitting, to damned expensive). The other thing I am trying to keep in mind is the fact that I want a child, and I want to raise her/him in a smoke free home. I imagine growing up with smokers made a huge impact on my smoking. So many of my role models were smokers. With the next week off I hope I can make it past my usual 7 days before smoking again. I hear that it takes 28 days to break a habit, I have that as my first main goal.

1. profile image0
        zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those are certainly the best reasons in the world. And noble reasons too.
        I deeply wish you can keep up to that vow.
        And that when your child grows up to be a dynamic infant, you'll be able to run with him without coughing of shortbreath.
        Sincerelly

3. Kidgas profile image64
    Kidgasposted 13 years ago

Best of luck to you.  Just take it one moment at a time.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Well...good luck. I was never a serious smoker so I don't know how hard it is. We will be rooting for you smile

5. DanielCook profile image60
    DanielCookposted 13 years ago

Hi Kirsten, well done for making the decision to quit. I found the most useful way to stop was by changing my habits and routines completely.  Every day I used to get in from work, make a cup of tea and have a cigarette - in order to break this routine I would have a glass of juice and read my book after work to start with.  I found that it took a while before I could drink hot drinks and not think about smoking.  If you have any set routines for smoking try and break them down one by one.

Good luck!

6. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Congratulations on your decision to quit! 

Try not to think about it, but when the urge comes don't try to wait it out.  Get up and do something!!  Like, get a glass of water.  Walk around the kitchen table.  Eat a few crackers.  Pick up the cat.  Then, when the urge is gone, go back to what you were doing - after a pat on the back for surviving. smile

7. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

OK, from all you ex smokers, what did you do when angry with family like a spouse?

Am at a loss at the moment, had the smallest ever tiff with the old ball and chain, over him distracting me from something I was writing and now I am in tears, can't seem to stop. Was in good spirits earlier but now I just want to curl up and sleep or something.

Mood swings are normal for a while. Curl up and go to sleep. smile

You know what I needed?

New piece of gum!

Bloody hell, its crazy how quick I went from river of tears to fine again with one little piece of gum!

Yup - I know. I was a miserable bastard for 9 months. sad

Back to my usual, lovable self now of course. smile

Stick with it - it is worth it - really - I feel great now.

That long?! yikes

Glad to hear you are feeling great, I just want my wallet to feel great, n heavy! lol

It really is a money motivation for me. I have this upcoming week off for the schools half term holiday so I have been answering and asking questions with that site web answers that does revenue sharing. Playing here and probably will go offline to tweak some images and maybe create some for my online store. Funny how many little things there are online geared toward making money that are as easy to obsess with as a video game. Too bad backlinking isn't as fun, if it were my hubs would be at risk of doing even better in searches lol

1. Rafini profile image83
              Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The length of time is different for everyone.  I was fine after the first 3 days with not even a craving after 30.  (after a pack a day for 25 years habit)

As for emotions - do your best to ignore whatever will set you off, and laugh at it instead.  (as in - yeah, I know, the nicotine really wants me to be pissed off right now, but...I DON'T have time for it!! lol)  In other words, beat down your anger with a Sarcasm stick. smile

8. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I never touched ciggy in my life, so this may not work for you. Try playing video games to get your anger out. Plants vs Zombies, Angry birds or some hard FPS game will do just fine to get your anger out.

Don't have any video games but I do have some great art programs, fractal generators mostly that are easy to obsess over as much as any video game I ever played or worse, that I can actually use online to potentially make money (check out my zazzle art hubs to see my fractal work if you want). If I had a video game console in the house nothing would ever get done lol

Just had a fresh piece of gum and went from tears to OK again. Man its amazing what the gum can do for ya, wasn't sure if I was going to need it or not. Was down to about 2 smokes a day, and smoked non-nicotine honey-rose ginseng cigarettes for ages now but even that little bit of nicotine has enough of an effect that the gum now is making a bigger difference then I expected.

9. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Cool. One more fractal lover here. wink

I am a big fractilist! I see fractals everywhere! I just wish they would do UF for macs, and that they would do a newer version of apophysis-j, that buggar is a pain the the *ss! I now get my parameters set in apo then take the flame into oxidizer to render as I have yet to have a two hour render create a black image and apo was doing that all the time (like the gamma or exposure was not enough even tho it looked more then enough in the preview). I try oxidizer as it has different fractal types but its too slow and the control is not as effortless as apo-j. I got my husband doing a kaleidoscope program for me in flash when he has the time. So that I could take any image and make a slice of it into a kaleidoscope image of similar size/quality to the original, also with the ability to drag the image around the pie slice cut-out so that I can find many cool kaleidoscopes from one image. There is a fun free one online but the images come back REALLY small. I don't know if there would be a market for this when he has it done and of course it would need more tweaks to make it commercial so for now it will be a mac version to run in flash smile

10. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I gave up about 4 weeks before you Mark.

I still occasionally go out and beat up some drunk for a Smoke smile

Apparently you must wear shorts when you give up seriously, as the urge to continue to smoke has been found to be in our jeans...
    I checked every pocket, nook and granny... but nothing!
    I'm sick of getting older and loosing good urges like that! sad

11. Gemsong profile image62
    Gemsongposted 13 years ago

I quit exactly one year ago on March 1st and even wrote a couple hubs on my experience. Sugar free jolly rangers were and are my friends.

12. Jule Romans profile image95
    Jule Romansposted 13 years ago

Gemsong---My quit date is March 1 this year! :-) I am reading a book called "The easy way to stop smoking" by Allen Carr. Ironically, I found the book while hub-hopping. Someone had written a review of it, so I checked it out and bought it.  I am really nervous about quitting. I have smoked my whole adult life.  I don't know what I will do without cigarettes. My husband smokes, too. I am not going to make him go outside to smoke, or change his habits. I always hated that in ex-smokers.

13. CARIBQUEEN profile image64
    CARIBQUEENposted 13 years ago

We are with you all the way - just hang in there.  Don't give up! You will win the battle. It is admirable that you want to raise your children in a smoke-free environment. Hats off to you!

14. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 13 years ago

congrats - good luck...if you think u can u will

15. Scarlet Henderson profile image60
    Scarlet Hendersonposted 13 years ago

Me and my dude both quit this past summer, so it's been about 7 months or so. Neither of us has relapsed. He had to use nicotine patches for about 1 month. The worst part for me was the act of smoking the cig, so I got some wooden popsicle sticks and chewed on those for a few days and also chewed Big Red gum. The cinnamon taste cuts the cravings. Do I still want one? Yeah, occasionally, but it's rare I even think about smoking now. It just got to be too expensive and too much trouble since smokers are now treated like scourges of society LOL. Think about the money you'll save for motivation. It's a lot! Good luck. You can do it!

16. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Good Luck---If I can do it, anybody can!

17. runescapeprivate profile image61
    runescapeprivateposted 13 years ago

Quitting. Sucks. Good luck to you, just keep at it and don't give in.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)