Have you figured out life?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Hubbers,

I'm a little tired of so many thread with regards to politics and religion, and I'm going to vent a little heated frustration.

My frustration is with people's inability to know or understand Life, especially their own. I once had a poll on a hub I published, then deleted the hub, however, the poll ask people if they understood their own life and what it truly means to understand their own life.

Many people, roughly 80% said that they understood their life, all aspects, while 14% said that they were not sure, while 6% were completely confused by the questions.

Am I claiming to understand my life own life? Yes. Does it have anything to do with your life? Yes, it does, because of the foundation is the same and cannot be denied.

The foundation each and every person should have is integrity. If you disagree? I'm saddened to see you cannot see truth.

Integrity is goodness and the implementation of it into your life is only done so by you. No one can do it for you.

When you truly understand Integrity and apply it to your life, accept it as part of who you are, then you recognize honesty and truth, instantly.

If you fail to hold yourself to the highest form of integrity, then you should by all accounts be honest by holding yourself accountable. Yes, that means YOU punish yourself. You are to be your own authority, and someone else shouldn't have to do it for you. If someone has to do it for you, then you are irresponsible.

If you hold yourself to integrity, all else falls into place.

Your thoughts?

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil

I can see, you are searching for a mathematical answer to The Truth of Reality ... Let me tell you ... there is none ... because, there are no books, maintained on the subject ... but there are several Books, which State the subject ... Truth.

Therefore, what you do with the Teachings, is your personal business.

The Hub Pages, however, allow us Hubbers to express our opinions and beliefs ... and being a democrat ... you should develop the capacity to listen to the other's point of view about a subject ... and as a human, try help, the other ... if you can.

Yes, I am fortunate, in having understood, the Purpose of life ... and thats about all the figuring, I reckon, is important in life.

3. kess profile image59
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes Living with integrity before one own eyes is the way to go...

But to what purpose and what standard..??

For you would find that when you create your own standard, you find you  inevitably break them anyway.

So Your standard must be inclusive of all other standards...
      which should be inclusive of those who are willing to walk without any integrity at all.

So in the end you would find that two would walk this Life and both appears to operate by the same set of rules which is inclusive of all...

Except that one walks with a purpose for this Life...
      And the other walk with a  purpose apart from this Life...

Both do what is right in his own eyes but only one walk with integrity.

4. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Caqs:
      Your question is much too vague.

If someone ased me "if I'd figured out life," my response would be what'd'ya mean "figured out life?"

So, I'm gonna ask that of you.

Ya gotta be more specific...or if ya mean figured out the definition of life, yeh,  my dictionary tells me that life is: "The property or quality that distinguishes living organisms from dead organisms and inanimate matter, manifested in functions such as metabolism, growth, reproduction, and response to stimuli or adaptation to the environment originating from within the organism."

I can understand that.

Now yer talking about life as it relates to "integrity" which is only a tiny facet of subject matter to consider and there are several connotations of the definition.

It boils down this: I don't understand your question and what you are really trying to get at.

Can ya understand my confusion?

the title of this "thread" is much to complex and as YOU approach it,much to vague.

I have many, many thoughts about the subject life and none are absolute.

Qwark

Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cute Qwark! tongue

The aspect of Life I am talking about is living life. How to maintain honesty with self? It helps in understanding other questions one might have also.

One only needs to look to one's character, which really isn't taught much to kids nowadays. It's about understanding self, inside and outside, in actions taken and at time when no action is taken.

That's all. wink

1. qwark profile image60
          qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cags:
          Jeez...ok, then why didn't ya just ask if ya know how to live life?
          Do you understand "Self?"
          I could get philosophically, very complex in trying to answer "have I Figured Out Life?"
          Got'cha!
          My answer is yes of course I maintain honesty with myself and with everyone else. smile:
          Qwark

5. KartikeyaC profile image60
      KartikeyaCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah.. Integrity should help... But who is gonna formula the guidelines of integriy in such a way, that they are not made a mess of....

This must be the case, and someone could have come up with a similar case of integrity somewhere initially.. Some rules could have been formulated.. Down  the line they get messed up..

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

So what is integrity? An integrity for thieves may to never steal from their own.
    How can one expect everyone to derive the same conclusions in the experience of life
    such that we all come to an optimum understanding of our lives.

Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Another poor example. You're distorting integrity.

3. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Hi, Cagsil.  "Figuring out life" seemed like such a big subject for a quick forum stop on a Sunday afternoon.  smile 

Although there is much in life that I've yet to figure out, I'm pretty certain I'm figured out my own.  Any time I'm ever run into the question about what my favorite word is, I always reply, "integrity" (not just for its meaning, but even for it's strong sound  smile ).  Somewhere in my old Hubs there's one I wrote on integrity (June 2008).  I think most people value integrity, and a good percentage of them remain very committed to acting with it.

Having "moral" integrity doesn't guarantee you won't ever make mistakes.  It just means you usually don't have anything to feel guilty about when you've made them.  Guilt aside, people feel good about themselves when they remain true to honorable principles.  I'm not entirely sure having integrity is always the answer to all problems, or is always the way to have "all of one's life figured out" - but it's definitely a good foundation.

knowonlyourself, there's a definition for the word, "integrity".   If someone is a thief he doesn't have integrity.  He may have a "code of thief-honor" (or whatever it would more appropriately be named), but the definition of "integrity" isn't one of those things that's fluid and according to individual interpretation.  The values and principles people use as a guide to aiming to have integrity often differ, but things like stealing fall way outside of the definition of "integrity".   hmm  A thief may know what integrity is and choose not to bother having any, or he may not know anything about integrity at all.  Either way, though, he doesn't have it - no matter how he tries to rationalize his loyalty to a fellow-thief, and call it, "integrity"..

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/integrity

4. knolyourself profile image59

From wikipedia: "Integrity is a concept of consistency of actions, values, methods, measures, principles, expectations, and outcomes. If we cannot even agree on the definition of integrity,
    how can we all be expected to abide by it.

By understanding one word in your definition- Integrity. Actions. smile

5. superwags profile image66
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

I was over-joyed to see that we can move a forum away from religion and politics for once. I assumed a lighter topic; the football results, holiday ideas.... No, the meaning of life!

I tend to think I have the broad theme of my life sorted out, though I'm in a bit of limbo at moment work-wise. A kind of "do as you would be done to" approach seems to work for me.

6. knolyourself profile image59

Integrity is to promote the action of abortion, because the health of the overall planetary survival is in danger of over-exploitation. Integrity is to prevent abortion at all costs, because to
    take the life of these innocents is genocide.

roll

7. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I think life is about more then just integrity, or any other virtue you can name. I think life is about learning and growing, developing and being challenged. I am still alive so and so there will always be something new to learn, a deeper understanding to be achieved, mistakes to be made, good deeds to do, choices to be made, so long as you are alive you have lessons to learn, IMO. As such I don't think anyone can say that they have 'figured out life' just yet and I doubt anyone who claims to have. This is because I seriously doubt it is possible for that person to stay just as they are emotionally and intellectually speaking for the rest of their life, without ever gaining deeper understandings and new understandings. I am reminded of Douglas Adams writing that if anyone should ever figure out what the universe was all about it would have to be destroyed and made more complex, that it cannot be understood without destroying it to be replaced with something even stranger. Thats just my thoughts big_smile

8. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image35
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 13 years ago

someone who does not have integrity serves equally to the person who does-they are two-sides of the same coin. Dr. Mike

9. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"Have you figured out life?"

Yes I have. smile

“The universe does not care.”

Using that as one’s premise, one can come up with all sorts of useful conclusions.

If you are real, real good; I might share them with you. smile

10. Alexander Pease profile image60
    Alexander Peaseposted 13 years ago

Yes I have, to answer shortly.

But to expand on that:

I have learned to adopt the believe that life is complex. You make your life what it is, this is evident if it is remembered that all people choose their own decisions. Everyone is personally responsible for their own life, because it is their decisions that guide them.

Furthermore, because of this responsibility, people must understand that they are not responsible for the way another persons life turns out. Although, it would do well to remember that the choices you make effect everyone around you.

This is due to the law of perception, as I would coin it. Because everyone's life path has uniquely affected them, it is nearly impossible for any two people to perceive things exactly the same, (it think that this ties into Einsteins theory of relativity, correct me if I'm wrong?) So, due to this law, people have their own perceptions on just about everything.

An example to make this more understandable:

'Person A' has just killed 'Person C'. 'Person B' perceives it as an evil act, because they perceive murder as wrong. However, 'Person A' feels that it was a justifiable act because 'Person C' was sleeping with their wife, 'Person B'. Alas, perception. Then, there are the police, whose perception tells them that they must uphold the laws, so they see 'Person A's' act as a crime, and 'Person A' goes to jail.

To tie this all together, in the grand scheme of things, 'Person A' chose his fate when he murdered 'Person C'. It was this action that led him to be put in jail. Hence, we control our life because we control our actions. Those actions shape the world around us and determine future events.

11. profile image56
    Furhatposted 12 years ago

You must realise that life isnt as complex as it may seem. Life is beautiful, life is birth, life is a blessing and the main paths you have to choose in your life are going to involve good/bad, love/evil. Nothing can make one happy unless they are happy inside and you cannot be happy inside unless you know who you are and beleive that there are better things to come for eternity.
    I was a very confused person till recently. One day everything just started to make sense and now i feel like i see the truth and logic in everything. Learn from your life, put the puzzles together and see the truth. The evidence is everywhere.
    Peace & love to you all.

12. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Interesting replies.

13. Spirit Whisperer profile image73
    Spirit Whispererposted 12 years ago

Who dreams your dreams at night? Who dreams your waking day? Why  ask the question, have YOU figured out life, to people who have yet to figure out who they are? Surely the question "Who am I?" is the only worthwhile question to ask.

14. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Personally I'm glad I don't know who I am.

15. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

"Integrity is goodness and the implementation of it into your life is only done so by you." But what is goodness?

You don't know the difference between good and bad? I don't find that too surprising. hmm

16. rafken profile image78
    rafkenposted 12 years ago

What is life? Humans are like every other creature. The purpose of life is to evolve. Make sure our off spring are just that little better than us [at least a little]. Our own lives as individuals does not have a purpose,on its own. It is the combination of generations that will in the end have a purpose. What is that purpose and will we see it in our lifetime? Who knows? We must just continue to live in blissful ignorance of the big picture and just do our part in the evolution of mankind.

Nice answer. smile
      Actually, YOU assign what your individual purpose is. Or did you not know you were supposed to?
      "In The End"? Generations will have purpose, long before the end ever comes.
      Not true. But, I do appreciate you posting. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)