Stumbleupon has stopped letting me add my Hubpages links

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (40 posts)
  1. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

I was getting quite a bit of traffic from Stumbleupon, but the last while I notice it hasn't been accepting my submissions from Hubpages.  They say that it's to prevent people from abusing the sytem and just promoting one site all the time.  Does anybody know of a way around this?

1. Edwin Clark profile image63
      Edwin Clarkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Probably no way around it, once stumbelupon system spots a hubpage url it'll get rejected.

Try writing articles on ezine.com, they provide great search results because they have strict editorial guidelines. Than stumbleupon that article once it has been approved.

But bear in mind social bookmark sites such as stumbleupon frown on accounts who soley bookmark their own content. So mix it up by bookmarking other sites that interest you and sprinkle in a few of your own.

2. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you'd bothered to read the StumbleUpon site TOS, you'd know that you aren't supposed to be submitting your own writing to that type of social bookmarking web site.

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

why should any of us read TOS when your always around to insert a link to the TOS for us wink

If an entire domain like hubpages is banned as the result of a small portion of the members actions then the fault would lay on SU for having foolish terms, as obviously we cannot police each other.

self stumble and digg and reddit all you want...just be sure to spread your stumbles and diggs around so that there isnt an unnatural frequency of stumbles/diggs to only a couple of domains.

the following is common advice found on the web about SU promotion of blogs - just switch it around to promote a hub

1) Do not stumble your own blog. (ok, i thnk this horse is beat to death).
        2) Create a hubpage or squidoo lens (see where I’m going with this)
        3) Create a link to your page through said hubpage or squidoo lens.
        4) Stumble the hubpage or squidoo lens! smile

I suggest the same, but use a blogspot blog, quick summary of your hub - link to hub with anchored text, submit to topblog lists and hit all teh social bookmarking sites

hell, ive done this for over a year, rarely if ever stumble or digg anything but my own pages (luckily i have so many it would be hard to tell that) and even made the cardinal mistake of naming my profile name teh same as many of my sites! Pretty obvious self promotion, no ban hammer yet

3. my-success-guru profile image56
      my-success-guruposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't know a way around this but I do know that some social networks try to limit people too much. Why not let people promote themselves more? I think some social networks are really missing the (BIG PICTURE.) I think the reason, they don't want too much traffic going away from their own site is because they fear it will take away from their business and maybe give their competition an edge. But if you really look at the BIG PICTURE the opposite is true. If they dared to let people promote themselves more people would be so thrilled they would tell everyone which would create a lot more traffic for them and for people like us. Then everyone would win!!!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There was originally a big difference between the intent of social networking sites (which are primarily for people to share information about themselves) and social bookmarking sites.

Social bookmarking sites were originally intended as a way of filtering out all the junk on the internet. Instead of browsing around Google and having to filter out the rubbish yourself, you could go to Digg or Stumbleupon and see only the really good stuff.

What then happened was that would-be internet marketers started Digging or Stumbling their own stuff regardless of quality.  It's no wonder the sites reacted - if they became clogged with junk, their whole raison d'etre was at risk. 

However, it seems to me that most sites have become resigned to the fact that they're not presenting the cream of the internet any more, and in fact most of them are not much better than a community of internet marketers engaging in mutual masturbation (you Digg my stuff, I'll Digg yours).  Which doesn't result in much paying traffic anyway.

2. cindyvine profile image69

Thanks Edwin, will try that!

3. WeddingConsultant profile image65
    WeddingConsultantposted 15 years ago

Cindy, I'd be quite upset if you got hubpages banned from stumbleupon due to self promotion.

As Edwin said, self promotion is "frowned upon"...but more specifically it's directly against their terms of service.

The best way to "get around it" is to not self-submit your hubs. Period. Get someone else to do it because your quality is good.

Okay..I'm done ranting.

1. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's likely a user infringement, and only affecting her account.

Others have mentioned it in the past that it's happened to them.

If HubPages could get a complete ban from StumbleUpon it would have happened long before Cindy joined the site.

4. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

I submit some of my hubs to stumbleupon, but I have submitted 700-odd pages, and only 11 of them are my hubs.

It's really annoying for all the hubpages lot if someone is cack-handed with a social website, as it can get hubpages banned for all of us.

5. aidenofthetower profile image67
    aidenofthetowerposted 15 years ago

Like some have said self-promotion isn't really what the social bookmarking sites had in mind. None of them want you to do it and if you do it too much you can get a site banned and even be kicked off yourself. It is best to learn to bookmark content from a variety of sites. Also, only pick your absolute best to bookmark and not just anything that you happen to have written. We all know that not everything we write is the best thing we have ever written...take that into account.

It is a better idea to bookmark other people's writing. If you are bookmarking a site that you write for, getting traffic to that site is good for you as well!

6. SiddSingh profile image59
    SiddSinghposted 15 years ago

Bookmarking a site on StumbleUpon/Reddit/Mixx/Digg etc is sort of a pat on the back. You would never pat your own back, would you?

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It depends on the site - Digg encourages you to submit your own stuff - SU discourages it. Either way you are wasting your time if what you are submitting does not appeal to their users and you are not active on the site.

1. Bard of Ely profile image80
        Bard of Elyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with what Mark has posted here!

1. imadork profile image71
          imadorkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Bard of Ely when he agreed with Mark when he explained the Digg vs SU thing!

7. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 15 years ago

Digg banned me back in 2007 for submitting one of my own sites.

1. accofranco profile image77
      accofrancoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have not submitted any of my hubs on any bookmarking sites,please how is it done? Do you just log on unto the sites and then submit your hub url?Help me to know plz?

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Digg banned all Helium.com users several times for self-promotion but I believe they may have changed their policies?

8. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 15 years ago

You shouldn't just join a social site to promote your own works. You just annoy people on there and get banned if you do that, and there is a risk of the whole of hubpages getting banned too.

If you want to, join one, get to learn how it works, make some contacts, then, cautiously, submit what you think is your best bit of writing.

9. sabrebIade profile image79
    sabrebIadeposted 15 years ago

One thing that might confuse a lot of newcomers is that on your " Hub Traffic Statistics" page, when you click " How do I get more traffic?" it says:

"Here are a couple ways to get traffic moving to your Hubs. You can send links out to the Internet community through:

Blogs or Website (yours and others you can access.)
    Friends via email.
    Favorite online discussions forums and chat rooms
    Social bookmarking sites, like Digg, reddit, and StumbleUpon."

That last line may confuse a lot of people on just what is allowed and isn't.

10. BristolBoy profile image62
    BristolBoyposted 15 years ago

I have had the same problem as Cindy myself.  This happened when I was first using this system, and I believe I got banned for excessive stumbling of my works.  For a period I was unable to submit any new hubs that hadn't already been submitted.  However, I have recently noticed when trying to stumble someone elses hub that I can now do this once again.  I believe that this is probably due to the fact that I have stumbled a lot of other sites recently (eg BBC, CNN etc).  As such I think it is possible to be able to unlimit your account (is that the right word) so that you can submit works from hubpages.  However, it does take a lot of work.  However, I agree fully with the reasons for StumbleUpon doing it and from now on I am not submitting my own pages to any social bookmarking sites other than Tagfoot. 

If the article is any good it will hopefully be submitted by other people to social bookmarking sites.  This was the case with my Top 10 most expensive cities  hub which was, and continues to be, submitted by other people to a large number of other sites such as Delicious etc.

11. Silver Rose profile image64
    Silver Roseposted 15 years ago

It doesn't matter anyway. Social traffic does not click any ads. It's the search engines that count.

Yes but social bookmarking provides backlinks and traffic that can contribute to better search ranking, so yes...the direct traffic is pretty much worthless, but considering the ease of submission, its worth it.

Multiple accounts will help you to shamelessly self promote without risk of a ban, they dont seem to block multiple users from the same IP, you can also write a blog about a hub, and then bookmark the blog entry instead of the hub, or in conjunction with the hub

12. cindyvine profile image69

Thanks for all the advice and tips. I'd only submitted about 5 articles and some other stuff, webpages I saw and liked as well.  I think it might have just been a glitch as now it works.  I seriously don't think Hubpages will be banned because I submitted 5 of my links to them.  Also, I like the social traffic and really don't care if people click on the ads or not as I'm not with adsense or any others of them.  I'm still not sure of how the search engines work, so that probably doesn't bother me too much either.  I've had some people join Hubpages because of the social traffic.  Another one contacted me this morning.  Now, isn't that a good thing?

13. Silver Rose profile image64
    Silver Roseposted 15 years ago

Hi sunforged. Wouldn't it be easier to promote your hub by commenting on related blogs to build backlinks rather than go for the social bookmarking stuff?

I admit it's a thrill to see a sudden surge of traffic from social bookmarking, but haven't noticed it getting me any more traffic from search engines. If you have limited time, then the commenting strategy may work better than using the time on bookmarking.

I may be completely wrong of course and talking rubbish. Does anyone else have an opinion/evidence to prove or disprove either point?

well, call it a combination of quality and method...just contributing your article to any bookmarking site, will only lead to traffic at first when its on the first page for its topic, or recently submitted, for it to be sustainable people have to continue to thumbs up it, digg it etc.

This can be done artificially with multiple accounts from varied IPs(if your into taht sort of thing) or it can happen the way its suppose to, by simply writing something that people would care to share and recommend.

I have articles that as a result of other people voting/digging etc. have maintained good visibility in digg, when on searches for the right keywords ...the first page of google displays 1 direct link to the article, 1 topblog link to the article,and one digg page to the article, this has resulted in approx 300 visits a day for almost 6 months now. with only about 30-40 coming directly from digg, but the high ranking can be contributed to taht constant traffic, the steady stream of comments and that authority link

14. cindyvine profile image69

Ahhhh, so much information to get my head around.  I think I'm too old for this and must just accept that I'm technologically challenged

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

It's not really your fault, Cindy.  Go anywhere on the net and you'll see people telling you to promote your work, then mentioning all these sites. They don't explain that most of these places prohibit self-promotion, so to get away with it, you have to hide your own posts amongst a lot of other stuff.

When I was on Helium, it used to bug me that Helium were ruthless in applying their own rules (and banning members at the drop of a hat for breaking them), while blithely recommending people to break the rules on other sites.

15. cindyvine profile image69

True, I was only doing what it said on Hubpages how to get traffic.  But now I feel mad guilty as people are saying I could get Hubpages banned as a site!  Honest, only submitted 5 hubpages links.

16. cindyvine profile image69

So you're saying I shouldn't have submitted links to 5 of my articles, even though I have written a lot more than that and have also submitted recipes and other news items I found interesting on the net?

17. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

and what is the relevance? The thread was claiming self promotion was against TOS on hubs, then you post a snippet of the TOS that doesnt cover that issue?

But since it does point out that SU claims usage rights and the ability to profit off your submissions (which shouldnt be your content anyway-so why should they profit from others works that isnt submitted by the creator?)- why oh why do all you TOS junkies so gladly follow teh rules that are of no benefit to you, are so unbalanced when the penalty for breaking them is non existent

18. cindyvine profile image69

Well according to that, I did no wrong.  Anyway, it turns out it was a temporary glitch with the program anyway, so all those who feel I have done something bad and that I am single-handedly going to cause Hubpages to be banned from Stumbleupon, you are wrong.  Self-promoting articles about abuse and mammograms which I think as many people as possible need to be made aware of, I don't think is wrong.  I didn't self-promote to try and make more money.  I don't make any money at all from Hubpages, as I don't have adsense or that Kontera thingie.

19. sunstreeks profile image81
    sunstreeksposted 15 years ago

I can almost guarantee that Hubpages being banned anywhere is not the result of one Hubber posting a small handful of links.

Getting banned is the result of many, many submissions that violate TOS. There are 200k+ members at hubpages.. Your 5 submissions Cindyvine, I am certain pale in comparison to the self submissions in total by other members.  No need to try and defend yourself. It's not solely your fault. I'll take blame for a handful of submissions of my own content as well.

SU is hardly worth getting upset about. Junk traffic with little conversion. There are much better methods to promoting your hubpages.

20. cindyvine profile image69

Thanks Sunstreaks, because the earlier comments people made, really made me feel bad as if I had done something wrong.  For me Hubpages is supposed to be fun and I did start to feel as if I was being personally attacked and made to feel stupid as I hadn't read the sign -up agreement properly.  Oh well, think I'm just feeling ultra-sensitive today as that time of the month is looming.  Will take a break from Hubpages today.

1. Edwin Clark profile image63
      Edwin Clarkposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you've done anything wrong. I don't think people are attacking you either, but I can understand how you can feel that way.

Lots of people submit their own content to social bookmarkers and one of the hubbers brought up the fact that different social bookmarking sites have different TOS, so it's easy to get confused on what you can submit and can't.

Personally I submit other people's content that I truly enjoy and I sprinkle in a few of my own once in awhile. Just don't go nuts.

That's it. I don't really see any harm in that and so far social bookmarking sites haven't called the cops on me. smile

21. gamergirl profile image84

sunforged - I'm going to ask you once, and only once, to stop attempting to find ways to rile people up with your every post.

The section of SU's ToS which I quoted is in DIRECT relation and meaning to this thread.  THAT is the relevance.

Good day.

1. sunstreeks profile image81
      sunstreeksposted 15 years agoin reply to this

LMAO!

In regard to this thread, Sunforged has been spot on in everything he has said.

22. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

See i would contend that that pointing to some crap legalese is more likely to rile people up, than actually taking the time to show solutions and workarounds. ALso posting snippets of TOS that you either do not understand or didnt even bother to read, can be an annoying stutter in the flow of an otherwise helpful conversation.

And no the snippets you chose to post are completely irrelevant, perhaps you selected it because it said "your content" and restrictions, you read it as "your content is restricted"?

once again your snippet is irrelevant - how very helpful

but truly my intention was not to rile you up, but rather to assist people in using social bookmarking to its full advantage, i found your statement to be unhelpful and wrong so I had to point that out as it could cause confusion in the minds of people who are in the process of learning new things and simply asking a question.

23. gamergirl profile image84

I posted the snippet of SU's ToS because relache stated that SU's ToS forbids you to stumble your own content.  The snippet was a response directly to commentary in the thread.

I selected it because it is the portion of the ToS which speaks directly about user submissions of their own content.  It IS relevant to the concerns that were presented, thank you.

If you'll notice, nowhere in my posting in this thread have I stated that the snippet I posted proves you're not permitted to stumble your own works.  Stumbleupon's Terms of Service specifically leave a wide open field, and crap legalese or not, judging by the very snippet I posted, it appears that our opinion of social bookmarking tools may be similar.

I'd appreciate if you'd tone back the knee-jerk reaction which causes you to come off flippant and rude, though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)