Newbies - Fan mail: Don't do this

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (60 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

This morning I had Fan mail that started out with

hey your hubs are nice. I enjoyed reading them. I am new to hubpages please help me grow

and then listed5 of their hubs.

That's going to be instantly denied and deleted by me and probably everyone else here unless they are also a clueless newbie.

It's so blatant I'm not even going to look at your hubs. 

Don't do this.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree 100%.  I also, and don't tell anyone, only approve fan mail that 'suits' what I want to show on my profile page.  So if it says "you are brilliantly funny" then that's OK.  But if it says "I read your hub and it was interesting" then I don't bother with it.

It's all part of sales and image really.  Bit harsh I suppose.

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hard-nosed capitalist!

lol - fair point.  btw - I kept yours...

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
            Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The check's in the mail, right?

Wow. I can't believe I wrote that. Very gushing, and I rarely ever bother following anyone let alone writing them fan mail.

Apparently I have a strong appreciation for nonsense! wink I think it was your cat hub which got me.

Yes, not quite gushing enough.  The "quite intelligent" remark irritates me every time I see it, but I've left it on there.

Quite intelligent. Suppose I should be flattered.

On the subject of the thread - I just had the same fan mail that Pcunix got!  The fanner's not having a great morning.

2. WoodsmensPost profile image62
      WoodsmensPostposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which type of fan club are you trying to draw and is it only your fans who make you money?

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you have no clue what we are talking about..

1. WoodsmensPost profile image62

Ok clueless..... I hope this unruly fan didn't click on any ads of yours. Did you send a letter to Google?

I can't help but wonder if your evident anger is caused by your activities being similar?

Would you like to explain what is behind this?

3. barbergirl28 profile image83
      barbergirl28posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have never gotten this.. than again maybe it is because I am considered a newbie myself. And hopefully by posting this forum, whoever is doing it, gets the message loud and clear!

4. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hate that and them asking or even telling me to become their fan.

DENIED.

Here's a recent one:

Hi! I already follow you, it would be really nice if you please follow me back and help me grow like you. Thank You :-)

DENIED.

5. Lily Rose profile image85
      Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know who you're talking about - he did the same to me.  I went to his profile and saw that those 5 hubs were ALL of his hubs.  While looking, I noticed that he wrote (or should I say published!) a hub about how to make money with Google AdSense...

....so, I perused that hub and then left a nice comment letting him know that what he did in his fan mail to me is not cool and that I don't know why he's asking for help from other hubbers when he's already got it figured out if he's writing hubs about Google AdSense! 

Of course, as I expected, he deleted my comment, but I know I got through to him because he then emailed me (via HP) to say that in reading the advice of the best hubbers, his understanding was that you were supposed to do what he did with the fan mail and links - whatever!  DELETE!

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

This is the reason I have the following written in bold on my profile:

Please note that any fan mail or comments you leave for me that request mutual reciprocation will be deleted, as I consider this very rude and bad etiquette.

I like that.  I just stole it smile

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll be emailing you a DMCA shortly. big_smile tongue LoL

Hah. I ran it through a spinner.

Oddly, it came out just the same, though.  Oh well.

1. WryLilt profile image88
            WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What, there's no synonym for mutual? tongue

Yeah, it suggested "bilateral" the first time, and "requited" the second.  Too fancy-pants for me, so I just stole it outright.

3. wormdo profile image61
    wormdoposted 13 years ago

Yeah, that's incredibly rude. Kind of spoils the compliment they start off with.

Well, I would image the "compliment" is nothing of the sort, because they likely didn't read a single hub!

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

huh? When did you start writing Hubs? lol

Just a couple of days ago.  I thought it might be a good idea after being here almost 9 months and writing nothing, so over the weekend I dashed off 284 hubs.

I'll do another one today, though I have to say I'm really worn out.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol

4. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I simply add them all!

5. Pandoras Box profile image61
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

79!!! Holy Toledo! I guess they expect people to actually write stuff. Huh. Better break out the old spinner.

6. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

Just changed my mind about this! No sooner that I posted that I add them all than I had one of the spammy "help me grow" mails with a list of 5 hubs! Well, that got denied promptly! I don't mind fanmail that doesn't say much but I don't want spam!

Same person, I bet..

7. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 13 years ago

Most of the stuff about community in Hubpages is also good SEO. Fanning, commenting, questions etc, etc, etc. It all ties the site together internally and makes it more appealing to Google.

You might get proprietorial about what appears on your profile page but it all helps the greater good- in other words we all make a little more money.

Emails like this are a very minor irritation. And you can do anything you like with them.

Or send them yourself.

I think you misunderstand.

It's not as much about it appearing - its the implication of reciprocal favors that annoys us.

1. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There really is no obligation. Truly. It's not like your sister's husband asked to borrow the lawn mower. Reciprocal favours are for people who matter to you.

It's not a matter of obligation.

It's a matter of them having the cheek to ask!

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I get emails all the time that say something like, "I see you're an English teacher, and you write great hubs. Would you mind reading all my hubs and correcting all my mistakes?"

Um, yeah, I would mind! I don't mind helping someone out, but that's just too much. The emails I get that say, "I really admire your writing skills. If you get a chance, would you take a look at ONE of my hubs and provide some feedback?" are more inline with what I'm willing to do. After all, there are only so many hours in a day. If I did what everyone asked me to do, I'd have absolutely no time to write my own hubs or to write articles for pay. Hope you guys don't think I'm a b**ch! lol

1. barbergirl28 profile image83
      barbergirl28posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Darn and I was just about to ask if you could go read all my hubs and correct my mistakes... lol... Although I can definately see how that would be irritating! smile

2. JustMike profile image67
      JustMikeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

dont get upset at them for that habee just let them know that your normal rate for that is 10 dollars a hub in your paypal account and find out when they would like you to start.

9. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

In any identity here I never reciprocate without looking at a sample and then only follow if I like the stuff.  I also follow people because I like their stuff, never just because.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...but what if i like bears......i did check to see whether or not there was any bamboo....

1. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bear lovers are just followed by default smile

10. WoodsmensPost profile image62
    WoodsmensPostposted 13 years ago

I was replying because it seems every couple of weeks you come up with an unruly fan. I think you just draw a funny crowd.  Never mind. Hope your dey is wonderful.

People tend to follow people with high hubber scores and a good number of existing followers. I suspect that they wrongly assume that if we follow them back, that would increase their scores.

That's why we draw "funny" people.

Oh Thanks.... Do you mean funny haha or funny funny ""? I didn't realize following people increased hubber score Thanks Pcunix!!

I said WRONGLY assume.

11. arthurchappell profile image46
    arthurchappellposted 13 years ago

Worth checking out a page for anyone writing a short patronizing pithy line like 'love your hubs' as you may find they've sent it to fifty other Hubbers too, as they mainly hope everyone will then be their hub friend and support their karma / ads in turn. They probably spent about 5 seconds on your hub and never read so much as the title.

1. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly - I don't even look at anyone who fanmails me - unless they leave a message on one of my hubs

12. WoodsmensPost profile image62
    WoodsmensPostposted 13 years ago

Hey barbergirl28 I'm gonna follow you because you have some interesting titles for your hubs that I want to read further.
    What a strange thread.

That is often the way I find people. They say something interesting in a forum post, so I check them out.

13. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I check out profiles of people who follow me or far less frequently fan me.  Most of the time that's all I do. It's enough to form an opinion.  A few times I look deeper at a hub or two.  And on very rare occasions I might decide that I could read future hubs of theirs and I will follow.

That's it.

That's my ploy to win the popular hubber of the year award.

In my defence I will say that those few I follow - I occasionally read their hubs, sometimes comment, and I always check the daily email.

14. Amanda Severn profile image93
    Amanda Severnposted 13 years ago

I just got fanned by the guy with the list of 5 hubs which he'd like me to read. Like Bard of Ely, I generally just accept unsolicited fanmail. It doesn't mean that I will be reciprocating any time soon. On this occassion, however, I'm following the crowd, and deleting the fanmail. It's just a bit too cheeky to expect people to check out your hubs without being part of the community first.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

However, you've managed to give link juice to the SPAM provided in the fanmail you receive. It's not a good practice.

No follow links don't meet the criteria to be considered "link juice".
        However you are correct about declining SPAM

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Internal based links still provide juice. wink

15. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm quite insulted. What, I'm not good enough to have the five hubber send me fan mail? Everyone else seems to be getting it but me!

I think you should demand that he or she do so at once. You are quite right, it is a snub and is possibly actionable.

16. dianebowling profile image60
    dianebowlingposted 13 years ago

No one has sent me any fan mail (except for the "welcome to Hubpages). I'm feeling left out.
    (This is in no way a plea for attention)
    big_smile big_smile big_smile

Two weeks.. It will come.

17. DIYweddingplanner profile image76
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

Diane,  I'll write you some fan mail and then you can write me some fan mail so we won't feel so left out, OK?  Bard, here it was I thought you just liked me...Dang!

And I also have been snubbed by the masked spammer...where, oh where, did I go wrong???

18. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 13 years ago

I just got fan mail with five links in it.  I guess this little guy is getting around.  I didn't approve it, but did not delete it.  I guess I will delete and send a polite private note on etiquette  here.

1. Lily Rose profile image85
      Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but once you do that he has your direct email address!  That's why I left a comment on one of his hubs.

1. 2besure profile image80
        2besureposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, boy!

19. profile image0
    Martyv25posted 13 years ago

I got some fan mail like this some time ago now, I accepted it at the time as I was and still am pretty new to this. The more and more I read hubs though the more the image of that dairy product keeps appearing with the same copy and pasted message they posted to me. I'm sure you know who I mean right.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)