Is my English that bad? :/

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I have slowly been building up a portfolio on InfoBarrel, part of my strategy to diversify across revenue sharing sites (whilst my own websites establish themselves).

I get a fair few rejections from InfoBarrel, most of them are fair enough - stuff like inserting a link inappropriately. But my latest one takes the biscuit, the reason for denial was:

"Unfortunately, we cannot accept this article as it uses English awkwardly and in many cases it uses words outside of their natural context. Please have somebody who's native language is English review and edit this article to ensure the proper use of English before resubmitting."

Anybody whose native language is English wish to peruse and edit my submission for me? Oh wait, I am a native English speaker hmm In fact, the American website owners are borrowing my language. In fairness I rushed the article, there were a couple of small grammatical errors, as there usually is with my revenue sharing stuff. Here is the unedited first paragraph:

"The proceeds of crime act is an act of UK parliament which came into effect in 2002, it provides a foundation from which courts can recovery assets gained through the proceeds of illegal activities such as drug dealing or widescale fraud. A prosecuting lawyer can request to have a criminals assets seized during their trial, often this results in drug smugglers or money launderers losing their homes and having their bank accounts wiped out. Perhaps the most famous case in the UK in which the Proceeds of Crime Act has been implemented is that of John Darwin who faked his own death for a £250,000 insurance payout. Darwin subsequently fled to Panama with his wife with even his own children having been duped into believing that he was dead."

I am no Wordsworth, but if you can all confirm that I write like a 14 year old Indonesian English student I will happily quit this game forever and resort to posting copyrighted images to Flixya or using nothing but Ezine articles to populate blogs!

Their loss is Hubpages game of course, I don't waste content tongue I have just published it on Hubpages, I didn't bother proofreading, so feel free to come and criticise or point me into the direction of a TEFL tutor lol

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know a great place where you can publish excerptz like that.

Oops, I mean excerpts.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is too true Darkside, too true. And don't you worry sunshine, I have a long long word document full of content waiting to be uploaded to that fantastic revenue sharing site.

At least, it will be fantastic when Google gets around to crawling the sitemap lol

1. David 470 profile image82
          David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It does NOT look like Indonesian trying to learn english at all. I have seen people write horrible. This is profession, it just looks like you added one or two letters somewhere that were not needed.  I do that a sometimes, not because of English problems, but "typos."

For example, how it says recovery and not recover.

I wrote about 5 articles on infobarrel, and have not had any problems yet. Infobarrel seems way inferior to hubpages though..

2. rmcrayne profile image92
      rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

whose big_smile

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That was the one I was going to mention.  It's rather hilarious in the context where it is being used, isn't it? lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

3. Jeff Berndt profile image75
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is this a copy-and-paste?

"Please have somebody who's native language is English review and edit this article to ensure the proper use of English before resubmitting."

Really? They don't know the difference between who's and whose, and they're giving you grief about your grammar?

Looks like they could use a copy editor...

4. Hubman007 profile image60
      Hubman007posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The site is a joke these days. I have had many articles constantly rejected for similar random reasons. I have now given up trying to publish there as its too frustrating.

Its their loss at the end of the day as the site isnt a patch on hubpages!

2. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

Hi Ryan--I looked over your paragraph, and although it's only 5:30 a.m. here and I'm only on my second cup of coffee, I tried to do what I could.  big_smile

I'm not an English expert, teacher, anything, lol, so you can take this as you wish! 

Corrections are in parentheses:

"The proceeds of crime act is an act of UK parliament which came into effect in 2002, (AND)it provides a foundation from which courts can recovery(RECOVER) assets gained through the proceeds of illegal activities such as drug dealing or widescale(WIDE SCALE) fraud. A prosecuting lawyer can request to have a criminals(CRIMINAL’S) assets seized during their trial, (AND)often this results in drug smugglers or money launderers losing their homes and having their bank accounts wiped out. Perhaps the most famous case in the UK in which the Proceeds of Crime Act has been implemented is that of John Darwin who faked his own death for a £250,000 insurance payout. Darwin subsequently fleed(FLED) to Panama with his wife with even his own children having been duped into believing that he was dead."

Also, it's possible they think a couple of the sentences are too long? I'm not sure about that, though, since I tend to do that myself, lol.

This feels funny--I haven't done this before, but I wanted to give it a shot, to try to help a little bit... smile

1. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have got most of the glitches here I would say - the only other thing is that the The proceeds of crime act should be The Proceeds of Crime Act as it is a title.

The reason the article might have triggered some auto pilot grammar assessment would especially be things like
      which courts can recovery assets gained through the proceeds of illegal activities
      This is a very typical mistake from second language speakers.

The innapropriate word use might be things like 'widescale' which is an oddly mixed compound word.  It would normally be widespread or largescale.

I would say that it is in need of editing but to refuse it would is a little anal.

2. Alejendro profile image60
      Alejendroposted 13 years agoin reply to this

English is not my Native Language, but anyway here is my attempt.

"The proceeds of crime act (Proceeds of Crime Act?) is an act of UK (P?)parliament which came into effect in(from?) 2002, (and?)it provides a foundation from which courts can recovery(recover?) assets gained through the proceeds of illegal activities(,?) such as drug dealing or widescale(wide scale?) fraud. A prosecuting lawyer can request to have a criminals(‘s?) assets seized during their trial,(.?) often this results in drug smugglers or money launderers losing their homes and having their bank accounts wiped out. Perhaps the most famous case in the UK in which the Proceeds of Crime Act has been implemented is that of John Darwin who faked his own death for a £250,000 insurance payout. Darwin subsequently fled to Panama with his wife with even his own children having been duped into believing that he was dead."

3. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

Hi
    the only slight error I found was the word recovery instead of recover.

Re the content- a request for POCA (Proceeds of Crime Application) is made by the prosecution AFTER  a defendant is found guilty or indeed pleads guilty before a trial. At that point a timetable is often set- the prosecution will outline how much they see the profit as being, the defence will reply with the amount of known assets and the judge will then determine what has to be repaid. (all at pre arranged dates)
    It is an excellent way to get money back and there are targets for the police and cps to achieve poca savings!

1. profile image0

I have reworded my final paragraph to clarify my point there, I am aware that an application has to be submitted to the court for confiscation but I was making reference to the idea that assumption of innocence until proof of guilt is the way that most of our legal system works. The burdeon is now on the criminal to prove that his money is legal, rather than that of the prosecution to prove his guilt.

If somebody is convicted of a fraud, which he benefited from to the tune of £100,000.... the police can apply to have ALL of his assets siezed, which the criminal then has to seek to prove was not gained illegally.

4. profile image0

Lol, but it isn't THAT bad is it? I would accept, "your article has been rejected for grammatical errors", but it's not SO bad that it makes me look like a non-native user of the English language? Right? hmm

Widescale, by the way, is in my English dictionary - it's not my fault that Americans butchered our language lol

I'm sure that I wouldn't need to capitalise (or is that capitaliZe?) the word criminals either. But I too wrote this in the middle of the night, so I will take it all on the chin smile

1. TamCor profile image82
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh no, Ryan!  About criminal--I was just suggesting to add an apostrophe...that's all.  I put all the corrections in capital letters just to make them stand out more, sorry!!!  big_smile

And no, I don't think it's bad enough to be considered non-native English, wow.

Sorry about the "butcherization" of widescale... lol

5. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

There is zilch wrong with it! I was working with university students who could not string a sentence together!
    Chill out its their loss....silly so and so's

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Me thinks perhaps the American site Infobarrel doesn't have their computers comprehend English english Ryan, of the 'top of the mornin', oh, ey wot? variety.

They would prolly be unsympathetic of my Aussie English too I thinks mate, coz they'd not get the bloody gist of a come on sheila, she's all bonza, and most unfortunately not give an English or Aussie or an American bloke (or sheila) a fair go, unless he or she uses American English with all the correct and proper grammar lol

1. TamCor profile image82
      TamCorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Huh, WHAT????   

lol lol lol

2. profile image0

lol

On a serious note, I get far more British traffic than most on here, about 13% last time I checked.... so I fill an area of the market for Hubpages which InfoBarrel doesn't seem to want to compete in.

(The market for semi-literate British people, clearly).

1. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ha ha, non English speaker. that's hilarious!!  lol  well, sorry, you probably don't find it funny. But the whole idea is kinda funny to me, to tell an English guy he doesn't speak English. HAHA.  At least it wasn't an article near and dear to your heart that you had slaved over for hours?

7. profile image0

Lol, in conclusion, I can't write lol

I don't need a critique of my English, only confirmation that it isn't too bad for a mere revenue sharing site.

If I were attempting to write for a broadsheet that would be a different story, but they simply aren't going to get a thousand Sufidreamer's for a paltry few dollars a day in AdSense revenue.

I hope that Hubpages never heads into the direction of advanced literary critique, whereas a couple of grammatical mistakes can see a Hubpage unpublished.

Hell, if I were to attempt to write every article like it was intended for publication by Harper Collins I would be broke and probably be publishing two Hubpages a week!

I am still going to shoot for 100 articles on there, but they look to be way above their station! Reality check needed me finks. They aren't the New York Times. If only they new what they are missing.

Now, wot ova adsenz sites can i write on coz i want to make millions of bucks?!!!???!!?? smile lol hmm smile

8. TamCor profile image82
    TamCorposted 13 years ago

Lol, in conclusion, I can't write lol

I don't need a critique of my English, only confirmation that it isn't too bad for a mere revenue sharing site.

Okay, like I said, maybe it's just too dang early in the morning, and my brain isn't firing on all cylinders yet...

I thought that was what you wanted Ryan--sorry to offend.

Obviously, you CAN write, or you wouldn't be doing so well on HP, as it's obvious you are.  big_smile

1. profile image0

Oh that wasn't a dig or anything, I accepted and expected people to put me right, I don't worry about the small things on revenue sharing sites.

I just find it amusing that InfoBarrel are the only revenue sharing site to hold standards akin to a national newspaper, I read much worse in my local rag every day.

Every time I pick up a particular British tabloid paper I see photos captioned with somebodies name, only to find that they have posted a picture of an entirely different person - particularly in the sports section!

9. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Ryan - nothing wrong with your English, better the most I would say. If we are going to nit pick I would say that their statement of your use of the language being awkward was itself a bit awkward.

1. profile image0

Ironically they approved another article around the same time which was probably worse than this one.

They clearly identified that the title was one which is likely to have a very high cpc.

I will see how I get on there, all I can really ask is consistant standards - although anything which they reject is going to be used by rival sites so like I said, their loss!

I would never reject legible English content if it passed copyscape, wasn't spammy or against AdSense TOS, and was unique content. And neither would any other revenue sharing site I suspect.

Revenue sharing sites, as we all know, are effectively bottom feeders.... they don't get the pick of the bunch, any literate person should be seen as an asset in my opinion.

Goodness knows what they say when a genuine non-native writer posts something which has been put through a crap translation tool. If it were a post about asbestos conditions or credit cards no doubt they would be rubbing their hands with glee and accepting it hmm

1. kirstenblog profile image77
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Things that make you go, hmmmmm.

10. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I work as an editor on another site that's stricter than InfoBarrel (they pay upfront plus RevShare,) and I wouldn't have sent that article back based on what I saw.

Sloppy writing? Sure. But at least the errors were minor and fixable, and the piece had some decent content. If I had been the editor on that piece, I would have just fixed the errors and sent you a note.

Heck, you should see the amount of articles I reject each month from ESL writers from India, Bangladesh, Nigeria and Thailand, not to mention the spammers from the US who submit stuff like this:

"I like peanut butter sandwiches because peanut butter sandwiches have a lot of peanut butter on the sandwich so that peanut butter sandwiches are good to eat."

Heck, your writing was 100000000 times better than a lot of the articles that are put in front of me. I would bet it was either a new editor, a cranky editor or one who had reviewed several of your articles in a row seeing the same type of mistakes in each.

1. profile image0

What site do you work for lrohner? Any room for a little one?

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You've probably heard it mentioned before -- BrightHub. I think WryLilt writes there and I know RMCrayne just got accepted. They pay $10 upfront for a 450-word piece plus RevShare for the life of the article.

I gotta run babysit the monsters - um, I mean grandbabies. Drop me a note if you want more info.

1. David 470 profile image82
          David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to check that site out. It may not be passive income like hubpages, but the thought of upfront payments along with some passive income sounds good.

How strict are they precisely? I was afraid infobarrel was going to reject my articles, but they did not yet.

I would like to write some fitness niche stuff on that site maybe...

11. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

@Ryankett. Ryan, I can see a lot of errors, but they all strike me as made while someone's brain is ahead of his pen. In other words, there are run on sentences, nouns used as adjectives, etc. Sorry, don't have time to edit it. You just need to proof your stuff, even if it's a rush job. It's not worth the rejection and the accompanying loss of credibility.

1. profile image0

I can't see how that loses me credibility in any way, shape, or form.

12. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Well i'm not a native english speaker/writer so my english is likely to be garbled in many places and even i got my article denied once by infobarrel. I do managed to get my other articles approved on infobarrel later.

I'm glad that squidoo and hubpages are not that strict on publishing criteria. I don't know why content networks create such strict guidelines and then end up with templates which ultimately gets dinged by google. (Referring to ehow and about.com). I'm all for grammatical improvements but too much grammar policing is useless because it ends up with some recognizable template of content farm. If you read comments on hubs/lenses then you can see that even people from native-english lands make so many grammatical mistakes.

In my opinion, those who read too much into your writing are not going to buy any stuff from you or they don't even care for the message that you want to convey. Those who care too much about typo/grammar are going to buy stuff directly from amazon or online shop. I don't write hubs/lenses for those who take shots on my grammar. I write hubs because i prefer to solve problems with/without grammatical mistakes. Feel free to attack folks big_smile.

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Suffice it to say that I totally and completely disagree with you.

Articles with an overabundance of typos, misspellings that are clearly not typos, bad grammar, incorrect punctuation and mangled sentence structure clearly show me that whoever wrote it didn't give a hoot about my reading experience. In turn, I could give a hoot about their writing. It only takes a few minutes to run something through a spelling and grammar checker. If a writer can't be bothered to take the time, I can't be bothered reading their work.

And for the most part, these are the same people who make sure their appearance is acceptable before venturing out in public, that their homes are neat and clean before entertaining guests and that their breath doesn't stink when they're going out on a date. They get online and it's like all pride just gets shot to hell. Sigh...

13. profile image0
    Neville Walkposted 13 years ago

I recently submitted a piece of work to an online grammar checker.  This site concluded that my work contained several "offensive" words, which resulted in the low score I received.  The offending words included, "bring, because, thing, loved, well, it and old." It also added that my use of the term "lady" was sexist, and suggested the use of the term "woman" instead.  Yet, my use of "gentleman" was acceptable, with no suggestion for using "man". I failed to see their point.  I then decided to submit something, written purposely badly, using what passes for English on the streets of England today.  It started, "This is a play, wot I wrote, about a cool dude, innit."  I received a very favourable score and positive feedback for this piece. I concluded that my use of language must be stuck in the past and that it pays to write as someone who uses English as a second language.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ Neville. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I think I've been through similar with Demand Studios.

14. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

"...a criminals assets" A sad  criminals assets? You must be kidding, it's a crime, you are not English, you are hiding your identity, shame on you. http://www.pic4ever.com/images/112.gif What a criminals assets yea a hiding big_smile ???

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)