What colour(s) are your living room walls?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (26 posts)
  1. prairieprincess profile image92
    prairieprincessposted 13 years ago

And what colour would you like to paint them, if any? Mine are white right now, but I am dreaming about purple wall(s). I know it's bold, but I know I can make it work!

1. profile image0
      L a d y f a c eposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Purple! I love it. Love purple. I want to do my spare room in plums and greys, with some sort of bright accent.

My living room walls are this golden-sandy-beige-y color they were when we bought the house. When I get around to painting I would like to go with Glidden's Cranberry Zing. Had it before in my apartment, goes amazingly well with white trim and black accents. Oooo love it!

prairieprincessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ladyface, that is so awesome! I think purple is so elegant, and just has such a wow factor! And I want to do white trim, too .... that's what makes it look so crisp!

2. imatellmuva profile image76
      imatellmuvaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I became a homeowner I decided to go with all colors that appealed to me. As a renter, my options were white, off white, antique white, eggshell...you get the picture.
      The walls in my living room are painted with brick, taupe and tan. Yes! And it's work'n chile'! The room is further accented with vibrant colors, of reds, yellow, green, orange, blue, purple and more. I know this sounds like an awful lot of colors, but the combination of colors are complimented from, artwork, wall and tabletop, a patio rug under my coffee table, decorative pillows, chairs. I even have (4) strings of colorful party lights cascading down a wall (in the corner). I obviously think it's okay to explore multiple color choices, and purple is awesome.
      I was asked to makeover a bedroom that was re-painted purple. Once I added accents to the room, that purple POPPED!!

2. camlo profile image86
    camloposted 13 years ago

In once moved into a rented flat that had carpeting with a pattern and colour that would only match old rose, so that's what colour I painted the walls. Apart from it being a funny colour for a boy to have in his flat (a comment a lot of people made that became quite annoying), it really got on my nerves after about a month. I painted it white and damn the carpet.

In this flat, I painted all my sitting room walls in a safran yellow during the nineties, aiming for the 'ethnic look', which I had seen in an Esprit book on interiors. It was so oppressive, everything was changed back to white within weeks.

So, I just stick to white nowadays.

I know, a lot of people go for white just because they get scared off by the weird colour choices of the previous owners.

3. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

White and light minty green

sounds nice and cool!

4. Jo Deslaurier profile image68
    Jo Deslaurierposted 13 years ago

A taupey cream. I'd love to paint them blue but it would clash with the furniture I currently own. Love your purple walls idea! Will you use a gray or dark primer to make it a real jewel tone purple or are you going for a lighter purple?

Ooooh, great idea! I didn't realize that you needed to do the dark primer to get the jewel effect, which is exactly what I want! Thanks so much!

5. Christene profile image61
    Christeneposted 13 years ago

Ours are a muted purple.

(710B-4 Quiet Refuge by Behr)

6. Art 4 Life profile image60
    Art 4 Lifeposted 13 years ago

mine are a mossy green...I live in the Ozarks, surrounded by forest, so it seems to just flow to the outside...

7. Poohgranma profile image79
    Poohgranmaposted 13 years ago

Nicotine taupe .....lol not funny, I know.

1. camlo profile image86
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So were my walls, but I've just painted them back to white. Finished painting the last of my rooms half an hour ago and have a cigarette in a paint splattered hand, although I promised myself not to smoke in here once everything is finished. Maybe I'll start on that resolution tomorrow ... but probably not. smile

8. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

My walls are color blocked - dark pink, dark celery, and parchment yellow.  Big blocks of different sizes on a warm white wall.  The blocks make great frames for hanging pictures and treasures.  If I ever get to put pics on flickr, I'll upload them here.

That's such a cool idea!

9. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

My living room is two-toned.
    Two of the walls are a buttery yellow.
    The wall behind the fireplace (accent wall) is a gold/olive green color.

I can't say what color I want to paint them because they will get painted when we get new furniture. Since we don't have that yet, I can't predict what color(s) walls will complement it!

10. atlantapainters profile image58
    atlantapaintersposted 13 years ago

Mine are cream color. The room gets not much light, so wanted to lighten it up a bit, yet not to have a hospital-like feel of white walls.
    I'd say, if you do get enough light, then purple would work. Although I'd still keep it two-color room: walls that get a lot of light would be purple, other walls - something matching, but lighter.

Painters, thanks. I've been debating this in my mind: how much purple do I dare? I think I want more than just an accent wall, but not quite all purple .... I was thinking kind of a pinky purple for one of my dining room walls (they're connected).

11. lindacee profile image86
    lindaceeposted 13 years ago

Cafe au lait with a rich cranberry accent wall. Not a bad color scheme for a rental. Luckily my neutral furniture works with it!

12. pink flavour profile image61
    pink flavourposted 13 years ago

When choosing the colours for a room there are some things you must have in mind like the destination of the room and the size of it .For example in the case of a living room , where you spend a bigger amount of time (then in the bedroom for example where you just sleep )you should choose colours that won't affect your state of mind in a bad way (red will make you nervous , dark colours will depress you). However if these colours are not used for a whole wall , but just in small amounts they can do exactly the opposite . They will bring the room a fresh breath . Talking about the size of the room you shouldn't use dark colours if it is too small (it will look smaller) . But can use them only for a wall that you want to be the central point . For this you can use a pattern too (like stripes or dots). The stripes are tricky too. Use them vertically on a longer wall so that it will look smaller or use them horizontally on a taller wall .

13. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

maroon

1. adrienne2 profile image66
      adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just moved into my new place just 2 weeks ago the living room walls are white.  But I am thinking Periwinkle with trimming it in champagne gold would look really cool.  What do you guys think?  The living and dining areas are so nice and spacious, with hardwood floors.

14. FloBe profile image66
    FloBeposted 13 years ago

When we moved into our place all the walls were a tan color. A couple of years ago we painted our living room two different shades of green. We were careful to match the tone with the other color so it wouldn't clash and we love it.

15. guy1973 profile image55
    guy1973posted 13 years ago

my living room is white, it reflects lights and looks bright and clean

16. profile image49
    Magleposted 13 years ago

It is white all over the house...

But we have alot of colourful interior instead. (and some wall stickers)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)