R.I.P Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (81 posts)
  1. R-J-T profile image61
    R-J-Tposted 13 years ago

http://www.sistrix.com/blog/985-google- … ality.html

After seeing this on another thread I have decided to post it here as I think it deserves its own thread, sorry if it has already got its own thread.

Anyway after looking at the results after the google change from the link above things do not look good at all, with a lot of sites takeing massive hits, especially hubpages.

What is everyones thoughts on this? Do you agree this could be the end of hubpages?

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wait and see.

That is reporting the effects thus far, we don't know what that 'index' is going to be saying in 3 days, 3 months or 6 months time.

Trust me, I have been screwing a lot, but don't write off the site yet. The algorithm is supposed to have altered 18% of search results.

That leaves 82% untouched when the algorithm settles. I think its a bit unfair to label Hubpages as dead just 48 hours since an algorithm change, you are talking about 6 years of building on this site, I doubt that the staff or owners are willing to write off their business in 48 hours and as such neither should we.

I suspect that they will be talking to Google directly in order to obtain advice, and waiting - like us - to see how things settle. Some topics may even benefit from the change, we just don't know yet.

To label Hubpages as dead in 48 hours is a bit extreme though, don't you think? I doubt that Google would have an interest in seeing content farms die, seeing as many of the major gainers are not involved in their AdSense scheme whilst all of these content farms are.

I still made some decent Amazon sales yesterday, I still have uneffected pages, I will give it a good few weeks before deciding what stays on the site and what goes.

2. Andrew0208 profile image57
      Andrew0208posted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Naked Poster, may be we should reassign the RIP back to you. Did you ever read the report you posted, even sistrix domain noted their own part of the story. It's a good check from Google and the affected sites are expected to ensure a provision of quality content to search results. Good head way.

1. R-J-T profile image61
        R-J-Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes thanks

3. oceansnsunsets profile image85
      oceansnsunsetsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I admittedly feel out of the loop here, as I have been crazy busy and not following this whole thing with google.  Even clicking that link, while I see that negative percentage there, can anyone share what they know about who or how they criticize content on the net? 

I don't blame them for wanting to work with high quality content, as i am sure that is very very important to the advertisers that pay to advertise with google adsense.  However, I don't understand how they make their rankings, and if Hubpages isn't among the best in higher quality content, why not, and when did things change?  Maybe I am that naive that I am not aware of other sites that have such incredible content, that is so much better than hubpages? 

Curious anyone's thoughts on this, and any answers are welcome, thanks!

2. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I take that as 'rise in progress'.  tongue

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Since no one know exactly what is going to be permanent or not it is far too early to sound the death knell.

4. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

the only way is up- HP has too much money invested to lose out- they are probably arranging an appointment with Mr Google as we speak

5. R-J-T profile image61
    R-J-Tposted 13 years ago

I agree it may be to early but it does look as if google has targeted specific sites and it seems as if they include hubpages in that category.

6. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Why would it be the end?

If this IS a real punishment, all they need to do is clean the place up.  That could take less than a month.

After that,  if they aren't making enough money because the crap was mostly responsible, then yeah, they die - maybe. Or maybe not.

1. profile image0

I doubt that Hubpages will ever die.

Say they were to shrink by 18%, hypothetically, round that to 20%. After the algorithm settles.

And assume that they were just about profitable. They need to maintain that profit. Their revenues shrink by 20%.

The solution may well be to propose a reduction in revenue sharing to 50%; that makes that 20% back. Some may take their content, most will see how it goes.

Sure hubbers will be upset with this, but that doesn't neccessarily result in a loss of revenue, if the new advertising stuff can cover the shortfall.

Alternatively, Hubpages may find that the new ad model (as per the TOS update) covers their losses.

I'm sure that their intention was to increase revenues for us and them, but for me the new advertising structure could well be a means to a sustainable business even if it doesn't stay in the top 50.

Of course I would hate to see a 50% rev share, and would prefer any such move to be temporary subject to their new arrangements becoming profitable, but I would much sooner see that than no Hubpages at all.

Hubpages isn't going anywhere, it just needs to change its gameplan from growth to consolidation. Breaking even in 5 years is actually very impressive for an ambitious and pioneering online model.

1. David 470 profile image81
        David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The only optimistic way I can look at this is this....

Even if hubpages does lose a lot of ranking positions, perhaps if a enough other sites are taken out of the picture (Ones that were not established very well) it will compensate, and hubpages will eventually attain traffic just like it used to - and maybe even better.

I would personally hate for the impressions to be 50%, but they may have to do it to fix the problem.

2. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryan whatever revenue share model HP comes up with, depends on traffic and generally that means Google Traffic. Unless that comes back, and hubs start moving up the Search Engines, who will be clicking on those ads?

1. profile image0

It was just hypothetical, based on Googles statement that 18% of searches will be affected.

Of course, what I fail to point out is that those 18% are likely to be those that content farms had affected most in the first place, so the result is likely to be far greater than a simple 18% loss of traffic.

I guess that we just have to see where the algorithm settles, but I am not looking forward to this being rolled out in the UK as pre-change 13% of my traffic was from the UK.... I guess that around 25% of my traffic is UK now... so it could, potentially, get much worse. If that is the case, and I am trying to remain optimistic, I may not have any choice but to start the slow process of transferring all of my now low-traffic hubs to private domains.

But, I will be giving it a few weeks, see what happens in the US, and then determine whether or not I can take the same globally.

7. ThomasE profile image69
    ThomasEposted 13 years ago

I am pretty sure we can now say this was intentional on the part of google... so... hubpages staff will probably go to google, find out what the problem was, and adjust the site accordingly.

I have backed up my articles, just in case I am wrong... but... seriously, if you think hubpages is going down without a fight you are mad.

8. R-J-T profile image61
    R-J-Tposted 13 years ago

I guess Im worried a little as this is the first big change from google in the serps that I have been part of, and I have heard many horror stories from the MayDay update.

9. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I think that the management of HP is now looking at data as Mr Edmondson stated (as quoted in this site) -  (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 … 47136.html)  Some of those who have been here in the Internet business for quite sometime said that we need ample time to really say what is the effect of the new G algorithm, or maybe after two weeks that site will update their data and analysis.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting article.  I feel moved to comment on this extract...

"Google search engineer Amit Singhal said in an interview that the company added numerous "signals," or factors it would incorporate into its algorithm. Among those signals are "how users interact with" a site.

It also used feedback from hundreds of people it regularly hires to evaluate changes. These "human raters" were asked to look at search results and decide whether they would give their credit card number to a site or follow its medical advice, Mr. Singhal said."

How users interact?  No room for literature, humour, politics or though provoking comment.  No - credit card or medical advice.  Were they the best examples the brilliant Google could come up with? What a super web they are building - a shop basically.

Utter crap. IMO.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How user interact? one could be the time it take them to look at a page?

10. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 13 years ago

All we can do is, wait and see if the changes are positive or not.  Patience my darlings, patience!

11. simeonvisser profile image70
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

There is nothing wrong with the way HubPages is run: many people can write articles and earn some money along the way. But there needs to  be more emphasis on quality and I expect any measurements and actions by HubPages to be in that area.

12. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

RJT, MayDay was nothing compared to Florida 2003. And this is nothing compared to those to. I've lived through them and survived them all.

Florida went after every thin and not so thin affiliate site regardless of it's location. And it was on November 16, 2003 so it destroyed the fourth quarter for many of us. Nothing worked on November 17. My traffic went from over 100,000 uniques a day to ZERO.

This is a very targeted realignment of the SERPs, aimed at shared sites and content farms. So if you're not playing in this space, you're probably really happy about it as an affiliate or website owner.

If your idea of diversification was HP, Squidoo, SheToldMe, and Snipsly, you might not be feeling too good right now.

1. ThomasE profile image69
      ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dunno... it is a huge opportunity... all those websites trashed, there must be huge room for the enterprising right now.

1. profile image0

Thomas E. now you're thinking like an entrepreneur!

2. R-J-T profile image61

No, I do have my own websites but I planed on earning a certain amount per month on Hubpages first then useing that to invest into my websites to make it has high quiality as possible.

3. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had the opposite experience:

2003-11-15   $14.83
      2003-11-16   $13.00
      2003-11-17   $36.29
      2003-11-18   $26.24
      2003-11-19   $32.14

I didn't even know anything had happened until I read about it much later.  I'm sure there are people not even noticing this, too.

1. profile image0

LOL you have the most ready access to your stats of anyone I've ever seen. I would have to dig that that level of detail, out of a distant file folder.

Quite frankly, my income levels from online marketing were a bit higher than that. About $15,000 a month at that time. So I noticed A LOT.

But I keep bouncing back. I've just decided after a decade of being beaten up by Google every few years that affiliate marketing and its ebbs and flows is quite exhausting and not really sustainable in any one format.

That's why I'm moving back into traditional content and marketing at the local level. Where I started in my 20s. What's old is new I guess.

1. Don Simkovich profile image61
          Don Simkovichposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is helpful to know ... so helping local businesses market online, and like you said in another thread, running a tourist site for Cape Cod? Btw, I have wonderful memories of going to Cape Cod for vacation as a kid.

I've got an idea for a business in So Cal site that I'm planning on pursuing.

2. Pcunix profile image89

Yeah, I keep all my stuff handy in text files..  because it seems I always want to know something..

I never got into affiliate marketing. Well, I do a little - maybe $100 a month or so. 

How long had you been accustomed to that income?

1. profile image0

Pcunix I had a great year and a half until Florida. I thought I was going to be a millionaire. The money was sooooo easy. I mean I don't do badly now. The internet and I are good friends.

But the roller coaster in affiliate marketing is never-ending. Quite frankly, I'm worried about ryankett's heart-health after that past few days. (He posted he's a chain smoker somewhere.) This shake up was pretty minimal if your diversified. He's going to have to take up meditation and yoga, if he wants to continue, I think.  I have ice water in my veins when it comes to business and it gets to me sometimes.

1. Pcunix profile image89

I have had my nose ground in the dirt so many times that I barely flinch any more smile

Ryan is young.  He'll learn (or he won't last).

13. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 13 years ago

This is what hubpages can possibly do to make sure Google is on better terms with us.

(1) Articles less than 375 words or so will automatically not be accepted. I have seen some people that have a hub with just a picture and 10 words!

(2) Ensure people are not spamming hubpages purely for promotional purposes with irrelevant content.

(3) Ensure that duplicate content is not posted on this site.

(4) Review articles for publication. (Like infobarrel maybe?)

1. Andrew0208 profile image57

This is truly a good head way for many affected sites. It is NEVER THEIR END. This thread title is liken to evil. God forbid!

1. R-J-T profile image61

Maybe I shouldnt have titled the thread in the way I did and Im sorry for that. I usually stay out of the forums as it takes time away from trying to grow my business and maybe thats what I should stick to doing.

Thanks..

1. Andrew0208 profile image57

If you're sincerely sorry, you could also ask the moderators to bury/delete it. Watch what you post on the Internet as it could be quite offensive to many, even to you if you're addressed RIP with your living name.

2. profile image0

I sense that it needs to go further, and that means removing stuff which has already been published which does not meet with those criteria.

Squidoo had to do a lot of deleting when they got their slap. Of course, there may not even be a way back for content farms, this looks like it could just be a "your not welcome" message from Google which they may not have any intention of reversing.

I am now on my 8th article on a new sales blog smile

1. Pcunix profile image89

Google is as revenue driven as anyone.  Fix the problem, welcome back, at least for the Big Dogs.

14. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Reports of Hubpages' death are preliminary and ridiculous.  The site is half creative and half information so there is a whole range of readers that Hubpages can offer to advertisers.  I think the staff has to find a better way to profile the Hubpage reader so that it can offer targeted segments to appropriate advertisers.  In addition, the staff will continue to clean up the site so that it is more viable to Google.  This won't kill Hubpages, it will make it better.

1. profile image0

I agree, nothing but a hiccup in a great story, a big hiccup but still just a hiccup nonetheless.

I can sense the positives already, not only for the reader experience but also for the writer experience.

Shut the doors, this site already has a whole host of great writers, be very careful who we let in. If they don't add anything to our crowd then they aren't coming in.

This place has long been considered a means of a quick and easy backlink, that needs to stop for a start.

1. profile image49
        Mark Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh shut those doors, why bother nobody wants in. The blue arrows are in freefall and the staff are nowhere to be seen. The farm has had it's final plough.

1. sunforged profile image69
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Staff have made a comment.

Most of the "discussion" that has taken place in these forums concerning this update have been naive babblings.

The only professional move at this time would be to watch ranking performance in a methodical manner and wait to see how things pan out.

Historically, the initial algo changes are NOT telling of the final results.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

FK, I rarely agree with you on politics, but here I do agree. smile It takes time and adjustment to figure out the best way forward. Google wants relevant content. I think it will end up moving the site forward in a better direction.  Although my traffic is still down, it is slowly rising, and one of my hubs that was bumped yesterday moved back to p1, even if only on the bottom. At least it moved up and not down further.

15. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I just found a site that gives the 10 biggest winners too, and it includes ehow with a rise of 19.7%.

Don't know if I can link it here - its a .pdf
    http://seoclarity.net/seoClarity%20Insi … -24-11.pdf

1. profile image0

I can't believe that eHow and Yahoo Answers on that list! Wikipedia were slapped a little a while back so they have regained their authority.

Probably well deserved for Etsy, I like that site.

Yahoo answers IS SPAM CITY. That site used to be decent years ago, but now it is nearly complete spam.

I though eHow was a pretty legit site with quality content? I have seen some good content on there, but I guess I have not been to it enough. Many people seem to dislike eHow from what I have seen.

1. lrohner profile image68
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most people jumping on the "we hate eHow" bandwagon have probably never even read any of their stuff. Most journalists hate eHow/Demand and think it's a sweatshop that's ripping off writers. So of course the journalists targeted it in most of the articles you read and everyone is just following along.

I'm not saying they don't have bad content on there, but for the most part, it's factually accurate, well researched and answers the title precisely. That's a helluva lot more than I can say for most of the other sites on the lists floating around here.

16. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

It surprises me that Squidoo was not included in the big gainers or big losers category.  I wonder if that is a result of their previous "adjustment".

17. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Just to continue moaning for a moment.

One of my favourite hubs, I'm not going to bother advertising it because I have lost all heart at the moment in this game, is 1,000 words of reasonably crafted satirical humour - in my opinion.  It has positive feedback and generally well accepted.

Page 1 Google UK, Now Page 3 Google.COM.

On page 1 Google.com is a Yahoo Answer related to the subject which is someone posing a stupid question in a non entertaining fashion and being 'answered' in an equally unamusing and non informative manner.  Maybe 200 words tops for the whole lot.

Garbage in my opinion.  My article could almost be called an article, and indeed with a bit of luck it might be suitable for an amusing piece in say a local newspaper or student rag or something.  Whatever - it is real writing.

But I'm on page 3 below this tripe. This is a shame because my experience here, and results, up till now have been brilliant and I had hopes of higher things.

1. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark you give up too easily. Keep writing, keeping working and wait to see how things pan out before you do anything hasty

Thanks Hypno, I wasn't thinking of topping myself!  I think the ride for me has been great up till now and this is my first big knockback. 

I'm OK.  Really.

Glad that you are OK - have a hot cup of tea with lots of sugar in it! In a couple of days your hub may well be back to where it was or better?

Thanks.  One thing I will say is that despite the last couple of days - there are still the same great bunch of friendly helpful people on here.

Yes, the great community on HubPages is something that we need to remember - one of the things that makes this still a wonderful site

2. profile image0

I've been putting wiskey in my tea, the past few days.

Single or double malt? I prefer a good drop of brandy in my coffee, but after the last few days of stats may go back to hitting the gin bottle! LOL smile

18. AlanSwenson profile image67
    AlanSwensonposted 13 years ago

Well my traffic dropped 30% but is already back up halfway from there to where it was and where it was was at the highest it's ever been so I'm not worried.

19. R-J-T profile image61
    R-J-Tposted 13 years ago

I hope everyone realizes by R.I.P Hubpages it stood for REALLY INCREDIBLE PLATFORM Hupages. Know that that is cleared up im off to watch the rugby.

Thanks

1. webismine profile image58
      webismineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Worth appreciating if you had explained in your OP what RIP meant to you.. LOL!!

20. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

RIP is so far from the truth...

The fact is I still am getting a good amount of views. It may be harder to get ranked at the top, but we will see in due time how bad we got it. Who knows this might end up being a good thing, although it doesn't look like it. These are my two worst days by far, since about 3-4 months ago.

My traffic levels have gone back 3 months as well. I feel like I went back in time by 3 months. sad

21. profile image49
    Mark Writerposted 13 years ago

R.I.P is Ryan in Pain because his earnings have dropped. Do we have to read thread upon thread about this big girl.

1. profile image56
      Footballersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We can all pull out the sockpuppets when we don't dare use our real names to criticise somebody "Mark".

I know, I know... Of course, you don't have any other logins, you are seeing those blue arrows across your entire portfolio of zero.

1. profile image49

Footballers it's pathetic short hubs like yours that are dragging this site down.

1. profile image56

Grow some balls and reveal youself, until you do that I suggest that you stop being so critical of others. Takes a hard man to hide behind an avatar doesn't it? Unlike those "big girls" who use their real names.

22. profile image49
    Mark Writerposted 13 years ago

It takes balls to tell a footballer he can't write, that's a bit ironic lol.

1. profile image56

The only irony that I have seen is a coward hiding behind a sock puppet to criticise other hubbers and the site, especially cowardly when the victim has a forum ban and can be contacted directly via email wink

1. profile image49

What victim?

1. profile image56

"R.I.P is Ryan in Pain because his earnings have dropped. Do we have to read thread upon thread about this big girl."

Why don't you tell him who you are? That way, he can simply avoid you for eternity, or perhaps serve up a retort or two. Or does that make you afraid? Of what he may say?

1. profile image49

What has it got to do wih you. go kick a ball.

1. profile image56

Actually, it has EVERYTHING to do with me, are you that slow?

1. profile image49

Ok what has it to do with you?

1. profile image56

You already know, and if you don't then you really must have an IQ of below 70.

1. profile image49

No do tell me, what has it got to do with you?

23. R-J-T profile image61
    R-J-Tposted 13 years ago

Can I close this thread now? If yes How?

I think that you have to email the staff and request it.  Been a bit of a Pandora's box thread then?

2. weblog profile image58
      weblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Send the request by email: team [at] hubpages [dot] com

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)