Okay, Lets get things in perspective.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)
  1. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

There has been a whole boat load of hysteria flying around the last few days, and to be honest I have stay out of it because I have seen all this before, and surprisingly enough Google is pretty good at weeding out the diamonds from the crap.

Even though the update is only a few days in to affect there have been wild accusations of a failing Hubpages, writers being made destitute, etc etc, and yes, some legit writers may have been hit hard by this.

However I would like you all to take a Quick glance at this comparison to last years traffic, and maybe take a little solice that even from only ONE data range, the traffic drop we have seen is actually not at all that unsual. COnsidering the Google ranking algorithm has probably been reset to some degree we will naturally be seeing some weird ranking changes, but for the google spider to crawl and rerank trillions of websites, we should probably give it the benefit of the doubt for a day or two.

http://www.thisisfreelance.com/falsenightmare.png

2. thisisoli profile image72

One important thing I would to point out here is that the entire year seems to be a day or two behind in terms of traffic, therefore I am expecting to see an actual rise in traffic beginnign today, taking me back to previous levels (based on traffic comparisson alone).  Only time will tell if that will pan out, but I am already seeing a little boost in traffic today smile

I think what I am trying to say is that even witht he ranking algorythm changes, what I am actually seeing here is a fairly normal month of February with very little change in seasonal traffic.

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Please can I ask what that graph shows as Quantcast figures show a huge drop?  Like a cliff.

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you comparing the quantcast figures from this year and last year?

This is my Hubpages traffic, a comparisson between this year and last year for the last 30 days.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh I see, thanks.

I'm comparing Hubpage traffic to three days ago.  It fell off a cliff.

I'm also comparing it to Squidoo.  They didn't.

4. ThomasE profile image68
    ThomasEposted 13 years ago

http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

It has been updated for today.

5. thisisoli profile image72

Would you say that the drop in traffic could represent a lot of the lower quality content on the site getting dropped?

1. ThomasE profile image68
      ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes.

And a lot of it could represent a holiday weekend in america. It is the biggest drop in US traffic in hubpages history, though, two times larger than 25 december.

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

With all due respect, my google.com traffic at Hubpages is trashed across most hubs. While my overall search engine trend looks somewhat okay for HubPages, it is just about all from non google.com (ie google.co.uk, goole.fr etc.). When these roll-out, I don't know what to expect for HubPages.

I've got a large portfolio of seasonally diverse hubs, and usually don't get hit during school vacation weeks. This is very different than that past two years.

That's my non-paniced, non-hysterical perspective. I've been reducing my exposure at HubPages for several months now, so working on my own websites today, is really what I've been doing for several months.

My hubs will remain in place and I'll see what the full algo roll-out looks like over the next few months, before I write any new hubs.

7. Mike Rogers profile image61
    Mike Rogersposted 13 years ago

I can only reference what I observe, and my Google traffic and Google SERPs have been hit hard. Very hard.

Mike

8. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 13 years ago

I haven't logged on here forever, but did after noticing a drop in traffic over the last few days. My views according to HP's statistics page are around 1300, as opposed to 2500 to 3000, most days.

I'm now making $3-$5 a day as opposed to $15-$20 a day through adsense alone. My click values are very low values, too.

I haven't made sales on Amazon for two days (unusual for me).

All I can say is: eeeek! I have been way too busy over the last year to keep writing because my classes are so writing intensive. Nevertheless, my income continued to grow and during the holidays, I was greatly rewarded for the work I put in years prior. This income will be greatly missed, although it always seemed to good to be true, anyways! smile Hopefully this resolves itself so I don't have to get a part-time job!

9. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Oli, I can't compare to last year (I wasn't here), but if my blue graph looked like yours I would be tickled pink.

Instead it fell (correlating to your figures) to around 700 3 days ago, bounced up to 800 and dropped back to 700 yesterday.  Extrapolating from now till the end of the day I expect today to be 700, and Sunday/Monday are usually my best days.

I am running at very nearly the same traffic I had in September, when I had half the number of hubs and those were all less than 4 months old, many with no SEO.  My best hub has gone from 50+ google.com hits/day to around 10 for the last 3 days (something I haven't seen since 2 days after publishing it).  You may not be seeing this kind of drop, but many of us are.

No, there is no reason to panic but if this continues for more than a few more days there is certainly room for great concern.

10. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

I'm still getting decent google traffic, but it is, indeed, diminished. After taking a few days to wait and see, my older, more popular articles are doing all right.

Everything I wrote in the last six months seems to have dropped off the face of the earth, though.  I'm worried about the ability for newer stuff to ever get a foothold for itself.  For my own edification I'm going to write more over the next few weeks than I normally would to see how it fairs compared to similar topics I wrote this time last year.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)