eHow Changes

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (30 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

eHow is going to be using Facebook Login as the ONLY method of logging into the site, removing eHow member profiles and removing the forums.

I personally don't use eHow but what are your opinion on these changes? To me it sounds like they're making the site even worse! (Never mind the fact I can't write there because I'm in Australia!)

1. nell79 profile image78
      nell79posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wrote for eHow until they made the change-over to Demand Studios. I didn't like the change and so I didn't activate the new account they gave me with them.

I like that everything else stayed the same for the content (small amount that it was) I already had there. I liked that I still had a profile there too.

I think you're right. It is a worse change. It certainly hasn't benefited me in any way.

1. iamalegend profile image61
        iamalegendposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why did they do that. ehow is a excellent site composed of many good writers. They are going to destroy that community. Rebuilding a community is not an easy process

I'm not sure why, but I don't like it.

2. jordy3738 profile image59
          jordy3738posted 13 years agoin reply to this

iamalegend, I disagree with you. ehow is polluting the Internet with mediocre content.

Sorry if I have offended anyone, but it is the truth.

Example: How to Do Brain Surgery

1) Get a scalpel
          2) Cut an incision
          3) Fix the part of the brain that is not working right
          4) Stitch up the incision

How many articles do you need on how to tie your shoes?

Well lets see...
          How to tie shoes with blue laces.
          How to tie shoes with red laces.
          How to tie shoes with short laces.

Bla, bal bla

It's pathetic that Google allows them to continue
          to dominate the top of the SERPS.

1. bgamall profile image68
            bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ehow was one of the Demand Studio sites not hit by the algorithm. trails.com and the answers one were hit.

1. jordy3738 profile image59
              jordy3738posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I read a great post at seobook.com that actually said eHow is getting better results since the recent algorithm changes.

It's not great that eHow missed getting sand boxed, but it's an excellent post by Arron Wall.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope other writing sites don't follow this trend.  What about those of us who don't do Facebook on principle?

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

It's only for the people like Nell who wrote for eHow before the change to DS-only content. And the new change is only for them to access their accounts -- nothing more, nothing less. The site, and access to it by the general public, remains the same.

This is a program they no longer support anyway, outside of paying out revenue to the people who wrote those articles.

That's true. I don't see it being worse for the readers. Just us writers who didn't make the change-over. And I'm not overly upset about it. Just disappointed as I'll lose some backlinks there. I'll get over it.

3. katiem2 profile image59
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

I have a wee bit of work over at ehow, got bored with it quickly and haven't been back for oh over a year...

Thanks for the heads up!

Sounds like me! Though I wish I'd done more as my articles there are finally making money sad

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

This is just an intuitive prediction, but I believe ehow will have gone down in flames within 5 years.

I could be wrong.

It could be less. smile

I could be wrong as well, but I have to disagree. I find them in the top google rankings when doing research on various things and most of what I find is relevant to what I'm looking for.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What goes around comes around. Ehow has been busily collecting enemies for years…

lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Five years is a lifetime on the Internet, so anything is possible. But with Demand Media enjoying annual revenues of over $200 million, and the company just gone public (as of yesterday I believe), I'd tend to say they're sticking around for the long-term. smile

5. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I got the email too, facebook login only, and they are removing teh forums, destroying the community? Looks like it is going to die a slow death.

6. Singular Investor profile image70
    Singular Investorposted 13 years ago

Don't forget Matt Cutts from Google just posted on the fact that Google will be taking a very close at 'content farms' - i.e. they will be slapping them - and lots of people think EHow are one of the sites that Google will be slapping, so they may find themselves in the not too distant future demoted to page 200 of Google rather than turning up on page 1

1. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nowhere google explicitly mentioned about demand studios. I don't know if these are competitor tactics or something else to target demand studios. It's actually very funny considering how DS works and maintains quality over many farms which are just garbage.

If demand studio is content farm then what about 'EZA' or 'Infobarrel' or Hubpages' and wait, 'squidoo' ? All are content farms maintained by humans, isn't it ? Some content is likely to be low quality on almost every network but that doesn't mean it'll be trashed just because rumor say so.

1. Singular Investor profile image70
        Singular Investorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In the articles I have read eHow and EZA seem to be lumped into the 'content farm' category whereas hubpages and infobarrel seem to be accepted as being of a higher quality. I know very little  about eHow so I am just reporting what is being said in the press. It could be of course that G wants to create its own content site. Just what they willl actually do is anybody's guess and of course they are being sufficiently vague and will certainly not mention any sites by name as that could lead to lawsuits.

1. lrohner profile image69

Of course many articles mention eHow/Demand Studios -- it's by far the largest company out there of its type. I would kindly request that you show me one reliable publication that has cited HubPages and/or InfoBarrel as being a "higher quality" content farm.

7. Sunnyglitter profile image83
    Sunnyglitterposted 13 years ago

I keep hearing about this, but I have yet to receive an email from EHow.  I hope it doesn't have any impact on my earnings.  My earnings there are at a record high this month.

They say it won't and that we'll still have access to the article pages that they're setting up--much like it already is set up at eHow.

8. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Google already has wiki content site - knol. All type of abuse is going on using knol and it hardly appears in their own results. Besides if they create content network and showed their own results at front page then it'll taken as monopoly and  many countries from EU and other continents will ban google. The next change is going to be small and not big with slaps, in my opinion. Sites with lots of duplicate and garbage/syndicated content will be slapped.

1. lrohner profile image69

I totally agree with you, skyfire.

9. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I doubt Google will be banned from any country, there is too much money to be made from it.  Besides do you know who some of the people are behind Google nowadays, it is pretty well protected!

1. skyfire profile image78
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Microsoft and apple are known for cases related to monopoly and privacy. Just because google is strong in terms of money doesn't mean they can't be banned - MS used to be like that. But when it comes to privacy/monopoly - public wins the case always.

Whatever happened with that whole China/Google debacle? I really haven't heard much news about it in a long time.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good question! smile

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

There is/was a website that is/was blatantly stealing all of ehow’s content. My guess is that the new algo now deals with that. Thus the bump for ehow.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)