IDEA: Reward / Penalty model for hub flagging?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. kschang profile image87
    kschangposted 13 years ago

Right now flagging is a purely voluntary activity that relies on the altruism of members.

What if we make it reward / penalty based instead?

If you flag properly (i.e. HP staff agrees), you are allowed to flag more, and get a temporary hubscore boost

If you did NOT flag properly (i.e. HP staff disagrees), you are allowed to flag LESS, and you take a temporary hubscore hit

Your flagging history is only visible to you (and HP staff) so you can adjust your flagging patterns.

Comments?

(thanks to Yahoo! Answers and hubber pcunix for inspiration)

1. Pagelift profile image61
      Pageliftposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I kind of really like this idea; something similar passed through my head as well.

Sometimes I ask myself if I'm flagging articles for the right reason, and based off of this system, I know what has been flagged as inappropriate in the past, so I can continue to help better the community.

Great suggestion, keep pushing this. I'd like to see it become a reality in the future.

2. simeonvisser profile image68
    simeonvisserposted 13 years ago

If you did not flag properly, it could also be that HubPages TOS was not clear enough or that you misunderstood it, not necessarily out of ill will.

Accolades could be introduced to reward people. I think that will prove to be a greater incentive than a small yes / no in your account settings.

kschangposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto, but then without feedback from HP you wouldn't know whether the flag is right or wrong. So you're basically doing things at random. Eh? smile

3. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 13 years ago

There already exists an Accolade that is given for this,

"Great HubPages Citizen: contributes to the community by helping our new users in the Forums, voting and/or flagging inappropriate content for our moderators."

I think getting Hubscore boosts for flagging is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard, and would create all manner of abuses.

What else would you recommend as a reward? 

Did I miss something? Is there some practical significance to hubscore other than the 75 / nofollow threshold? My idea was a temporary boost, maybe 5-10 points for 48-72 hours.

4. MyWebs profile image78
    MyWebsposted 13 years ago

"Your flagging history is only visible to you (and HP staff) so you can adjust your flagging patterns."

I think making your flagging history available is a great idea so we all know where we are getting it right, and wrong. Maybe a simple "Agree" or "Disagree" would show up beside each flagged item once staff makes their decision. Maybe an optional note they could also add to further communicate if they feel the need.

Tying it directly to hub score is a bad idea. Maybe a separate Flag score possibly. Really I'd much rather know where I was doing good than have another score.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  The only method we have now is to go back and check and I flag far too many for that to work.

It would be nice to have feedback on how we're doing.

5. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I don't think too many Hubbers (most of whom already flag when they see fit), are all that interested in getting all into a "tattletale"/"brownie points"/"score" kind of mentality, especially on something like flagging (which, after all, isn't why most people come to a site like this, and is only part of what most think is "doing something a extra on the side".  Besides, most people (or at least a whole lot of them) will tell you they plain, old, don't care about HubScores.

6. Adroit Alien profile image65
    Adroit Alienposted 13 years ago

Those who are looking to boost their hubscore will most likely consist of new users or spammers.

I can see it now. The Hubpage staff gets hit with a mountain of flags that they have to sort through. Now have become human versions of akismet. I see it as a huge waste of manpower.

Flagging is like a 9-1-1 call. Lets not turn in into babysitting for the staff.

edit: shouldn't this be posted in the suggestion forum?

Want to see if any one else think about what should be reward / punishment model itself.

Newbies would be limited in the amount of flags they can make. So the spam is self-limiting. And if they spam enough their quota would be reduced.

(As an example, in Yahoo Answers, newbies start at level 1, can only post X questions and answers every 24 hours, and asking questions cost points, which they have limited amount of. Only when they participated and gotten some "best answers" will they get enough points to ask more questions)

1. Adroit Alien profile image65
        Adroit Alienposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think there's a need for a new system.

After getting above 75, there really isn't any incentives to go higher.

As someone mentioned earlier, there's already a reward for this (accolade).

Your system will create a higher demand for newbies and spammers to flag while hubbers with 75+ score see no real incentive.

If anything, it will deter 75+ hubbers from flagging since they have everything to lose and nothing to gain. Example: an 80 hubber is practically the same as a 75 hubber. While a 70 hubber only needs 5 points to get dofollow backlinks.

In the meantime, newbies and spammers will flag and likely false-flag until their quota is reached. Even if their quota is 1 per day. That may mean 100 false-flags the staff have to sort if 100 spammers want that 5 points.

Your system can be easily gamed. This is not saying the current system is perfect. Just better.

You did not propose any new rewards / punishment, but then you argue that based on the EXISTING reward/punishment, the idea is not workable. Thus, you're not helping at all.

I'm not the only one...

You asked for comments.

Personally, if I were to introduce a change, I would just punish false-flaggers. The current system doesn't do that and that is a potential exploit. I would keep the reward the same(accolade).

Punishing false-flaggers will reduce abuse. Example: Vendetta flagging.

You are putting words in my mouth. I didn't say the current system is not "workable." I said it isn't "perfect." It is working fine.

Please don't misquote me again.

1. relache profile image71
              relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't seem to understand how the flagging system works based on the comments you just made.  When site users flag a Hub it merely brings that Hub to the attention of the admin team.  A lot of flags makes it rise to the top of their action list faster.  If a Hub gets unpublished, it's because the moderators have found it in some way to be in violation of the site terms of use.  Vendetta flagging as an action can't exist because if there's nothing genuinely wrong with the Hub being flagged then no action is taken against it.

I take back "vendetta flagging".

No actions may be taken but mods still have to sort through the top flags wasting time for false-flags. It is possible to create multiple accounts, mask ip's and game the system. It may even be done from ignorance by people not familiar with the TOS.

Based on the comment I made, the point was not to reward flagging.

People still sort through spam even if no action is taken. It doesn't matter if hubpages use a "popular vote" style system. Each vote(flag) is still counted and if they decide no action is taken, then in my opinion, that's time is wasted.

Your argument was basically NOT to reward flagging because... false-flagging (flagged hub deserved no action) is a waste of moderator's time.

But flagging is NOT false-flagging. That would be a strawman. 

And wouldn't a reward / punishment model punish those false-flagging the wrong hubs, while encouraging more people to flag the truly substandard hubs?

1. If you bothered to read, I told Relache that I took it back.
                    2. I never said flagging is false-flagging. THAT is a strawman. Again, READ.
                    3. I've already explained why your system is inferior to the current system.
                    4. I was never for a reward/punishment system. Just punishment(unless you consider accolades rewards. I don't)
                    5. This is your thread. Not mine. Your idea stinks.

7. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

What's that smell?  lol

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

burning flesh...

Sunburn, actually. AA and I are joshing each other.

8. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

So what about ppl who never flag? Will their score go slowly down because they don't participate in that?

I am not into a site that scores me on the basis of flagging the work of other writers. I participate but, I think it will cause argument and fire between the users and I do believe it can be gamed. As long as ppl stick to the rules the way they are, it should be good enough.

9. Vala Faye profile image61
    Vala Fayeposted 13 years ago

How about the most helpful people get extra media exposure on who they are as writers?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)