Why does Redgage rank HIGHER than Hubpages on Google?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (161 posts)
  1. Brie Hoffman profile image59
    Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

Every time I write a new hub I post it on Redgage as well as SHETOLDME and a few others...  Now when I go and check it later my Redgage posting is in google search but not hubpages...WHY?

Anyone?

1. CYBERSUPE profile image61
      CYBERSUPEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good question Brie, I was wondering the same thing.  I will follow your question to get the answer from someone.

2. Michael Willis profile image68
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have wondered about that also. And yesterday when I checked a hub ranking, it had slipped due to the Google change. What I am curious about is why the SheToldMe link ranked higher than my Hubpage article???  Sounds opposite of what Google is trying to do in my opinion. Same with Redgage.

3. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Since Google has changed things around you may want to post links to real sites that people really go to. Post sites in forums or on blogs that are popular, etc, and not redgage as both Hubpages and redgage were demoted. In order to have link juice you need to post to sites that have not seen this hit. Alexa.com shows redgage tanking bigtime since Google modified the algorithm.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/redgage.com#

1. brandonhart100 profile image76
        brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's hard to believe since I know rank higher for RedGage than HP for many many keywords.  I'm wondering if I should delete all of my RG links.

*now

1. bgamall profile image68

Maybe replace them with quality blog posts elsewhere. Google is going to have static, 1.0 sites at the top of search and I don't think that people will like them, but we will see.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image59
        Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Damn, I hate this.  Why would Hubpages be tanking?

3. Brie Hoffman profile image59

Do you have any suggestions?

Brie, post your hubpages at quality sites on the subject. Build up your backlinks with sites where people besides authors go.

4. oceansnsunsets profile image84
      oceansnsunsetsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Brie, and everyone, I feel silly asking this, but I have to ask.  Am I understanding that you post the same content you put here, on Redgage and Shetoldme?  How does that work as far as getting "copied content" on other sites, even though its all your own content?  I know hubpages will flag your hub with that little red c and a circle, in your account.

Help me out here guys ? Thanks!

1. Michael Willis profile image68

You don't post a duplicate of your hub there. It is a shortened blurb about your hub and a link to go to Hubpages to read the entire story.

1. oceansnsunsets profile image84

OH, well thank you for that Michael.  I read it just as she wrote it, and didn't  know it was just a blurb, that makes more sense to me, thanks.

2. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not precisely word for word content being placed on other sites. Therefore, duplicate does not apply. Most people re-write their articles quite a bit, so as to stay away from duplicate content.

I use RedGage, as a linking place for my hubs. I've written blogs that lead to other hubs.

Ok, thanks for that.   Do you mean google blogs? Same idea, the goal being to direct google traffic to hubpages?

1. Cagsil profile image71
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have two blogs on Blogspot.com, which is Google. I have adsense on one of my blogs and my other blog has amazon on it. wink

5. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed before that sometimes redgage, shetoldme etc stuff indexes quicker, but it usually doesn't last longer above the hub more than a day or two.
      I actually haven't backlinked any hubs at all for the past month so couldn't tell you what is happening now.

I go back and forth on this idea, and backlinking.  I have yet to officially decide how much it is worth doing some duplicating of hub content, vs putting that time and energy into just doing a new hub on another topic.  I tend to lean toward the latter, because I have so much I would love to write about, but its a time thing. 

After hearing what some people make on here, I think I may not be doing something right, because its nothing close to others, and esp not anything like the success stories.  Those just blow my mind...

1. IzzyM profile image87

Oh I didn't duplicate any of the hub content - at least I haven't done for about 8 months or so. what I used to do was write a (fresh) short blurb and post that.
          But I've since discovered that while it helps getting a hub indexed quicker, the backlinks don't last and I've had hubs do well since I stopped, just by hitting the right keywords or low competition phrases or whatever.
          Others sink out of sight, but that happened when I backlinked too.

Thanks Izzy, appreciate you sharing your experiences here.  Learning a lot...  Its weird how things show up when they do, then what happens long term.

Yes, you just write an intro and then link it to your hubpages.  I do it mainly to get onto google search faster, although I have quite a few fans there so who knows!

I won't link to shetoldme or any of those sites. Tweetmeme and Digg seem like they didn't take a hit. Some popular pligg sites may still be ok. But linking to those other sites may actually hurt.

Shetoldme bounced back a little yesterday: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/shetoldme.com#

6. profile image0
      Raghavzxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

cause the post get a" latest / refresh boost " by google and hence they rank higher but eventually they loose there high rank and eventually come down below the original post

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Right now HubPages is not looking good. But it's not a bad idea to remember why Google has implented the change. They're looking to sort the wheat from the chaff. Maybe, right now, that's why some stuff that appears so prominently is featuring in pole positions.

I'm not sure I'm spot on but this is a time of change for the SE and it's natural that what they're aiming to do is expose what they don't want.

I'm looking at it all as though they've dropped everything through a sieve, with holes that are small enough to find the debris. Again, I don't know that I'm right but it makes more sense to shake out what they don't want, in order to find it.

I'm suffering no less than anyone else but I'm not wasting time trawling the 'net and worrying. I honestly don't believe that Google intends to lose all the best stuff in favor of the lower quality content.

There will always be shaky ground, this is what an algo change is all about - change. And if it's not for the better, why go to the bother of developing code that sorts everything for the common good, only to find that the oil rises to the top and muddies the water?

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

This only serves to convince me that Hubpages will rise again, maybe not to their prior heights, but rise nonetheless.

It will likely involve Hubpages satisfying Google that they have retrospectively employed higher quality standards, and carry on those standards in the future.

Google is not going to determine which individual articles are worthy of ranking and then rank them accordingly, I believe that they have manually slapped sites, in order to shock them into doing it themselves.

Lots of deleted content, stronger quality controls, hey presto Hubpages gets its status back subject to plenty of future Google scrutiny.

I doubt that Google are going to happily see two dozen innovative Silicon Valley businesses go bust overnight, especially when they are such big revenue spinners for them. Remember that Google are in the bay area themselves, I suspect that there will be at least a little patriotism employed.

What you are saying is why I am waiting before I consider making any changes to my hubs. I want to see what happens and then make the appropriate changes if needed.
      I feel confident that HP and others will make known what is needed after the dust settles. I have been looking around as mentioned before and at first was unsettled, but am not going to panic and go wild in making changes that may end up doing more harm than good.
      I have a couple of Hubs I have been working on, but will not publish them until I know what is the end result.

Hi Michael, I wonder what kind of changes you are thinking of making to your hubs? 

I am just trying to understand more what is going on.  I agree with some others, that there is a lot of junk out there, and I just don't understand what has caused hubpages to get a low score.  (Other than they are talking about low quality content...but that seems so odd to me..) 

Confused in the Midwest lol

This is why I am waiting until the dust settles to make any changes. I have seen some crappy links move up, but I just can't see them staying there long. I am waiting to see what happens and hopefully HP or those more experienced here on HP will be able to let us know what is needed.
          Who knows, I may not need to make any major changes.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image84

Ryan, you mention Hubpages having higher quality standards, and proving it to Google (or a form of that) and I wonder how Hubpages can encourage higher quality standards?  This is what I seem to "not be getting"  in this whole discussion.  Many people here put out high quality content, those that don't, still don't seem to be putting out junky content especially compared to all the other junk out there.

My biggest question is, content like what?  What is being suggested that isn't quality, does anyone know, like examples?  They want more of ____? or less of _____?  The blanks are what I don't understand there lol.  Thanks for any help Ryan or anyone.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh there is TONNES of junky content on the site, trust me.

Yes there is quality content, lots of quality content, but it needs to be only quality content.

In fact I would be happy for Hubpages to raise the bar high enough for me to flag 50 of my own articles, I would do that, weed it out if they want it enough.

I would like a pre-approval system, your Hubpage is published after review by an editor.

Want to see an example of junk? http://hubpages.com/profile/writers

That hubber has had 10 million views since before accolades were introduced. http://hubpages.com/hub/www_yahoomail_com was 4th on Google for the search term www.yahoomail.com, is still 6th in the UK.

That hubpage alone must get millions of hits. That hubber must be on the way to 100 million views.

For me, that is junk, and the reason that Google and co are wary of their ads being exploited.

I can provide many more examples, but I trust that traffic accolade will be sufficient enough to answer your question smile

1. David 470 profile image81
          David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What in the world! Is he getting that much traffic because of the misleading titles or???

I have never seen a profile like that before...

1. profile image0

He has been around for years, and with traffic like that he wouldn't have gone unnoticed by the team.

Which is my point really, they KNOW what they have to do, and that is to change their strategy from quantity to quality. Simple. And quality includes no duplicate content and a minimum hub length smile

Titles which are just URLs are banned on several other sites, including Xomba.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Funny you should mention that, I found loads of titles/usernames tonight that were urls and flagged a few of them (couldn't flag them all - I'd be there all night.

Just do a hub search to http and see what comes up!

Some have put some content in, but a lot haven't (unless the hub team have cleaned them all up tonight) and they've been up for yonks!

1. profile image0

I have a few with www. .com titles, I actually wrote them to attach myself to the related hubs section of that hubber wink

They did very well, but have all now died, quite rightfully so - because it means the hubs linked to above have been slapped by Google.

Now they should be removed.

So you were part of the problem Ryan? smile At least you fessed up!

You can still have crap but just more of it with a minimum length.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image84

Well, that is rather interesting....I had no idea....  It seems it must be a struggle to not let a site be taken over by those that just want to abuse it and bring it down or trash it in whatever way.  I have seen that happen at other places on the net, and it brings not only the morale down, but its just turns into not that great a site.   Not speaking about anyone in particular there, just sharing what I have observed.  Its got to be frustrating for the sites, because it forces their hand to do either nothing, or go after those that hurt the site for all, over all. 

Just clarifying too, that when you keep saying minimum hub length, you mean not just super short hubs, but rather longer hubs?  What is your definition of a hub that is too short?  (Not a problem for me, i can get wordy lol)

1. profile image0

400 words minimum, maybe even 500 words. I would say 500 is an acceptable length, I tend to write 500-1200. Sure I've got a few below that.

I wouldn't blame the author of that hubpage, I blame something else altogether. But that is hindsight, all I can say is that I suspect that this type of stuff has to be seen as unwelcome on the site from now on.

1. ThomasE profile image69
              ThomasEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What I would do, is reduce author share to 50%. And offer the extra 10% to member moderators. They would be given a category each. Before any article was published in that category it would have to go through the moderator.

I would give the moderator a simple criteria to judge by: is the article good?

3. Pente profile image78
          Penteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So many people (including my wife) type the URL into google instead of the address bar, then click on the top result.

Google keyword shows almost 5 million searches for yahoo and yahoo dot com every month.

1. profile image0

2.7 million exact searches for the term www.yahoomail.com per month wink

I would love to have a hubpage in 4th position for that lol

4. Brie Hoffman profile image59

I didn't know hubs like that existed either....hmmm

3. snakebaby profile image66
      snakebabyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I doubt that Google are going to happily see two dozen innovative Silicon Valley businesses go bust overnight, especially when they are such big revenue spinners for them." - well, but everyone else has google adsense, what's the difference for google when they sink hubpages and raise others?

There are quite a few things HP can do to improve, some are so easy, others may be hard to implement, but this is a wake up call to everyone, a good thing for the long haul. I hope low quality hubs can be eliminated in the end because of this google change. Right now HP is full of junks whether or not you are willing to admit.

1. profile image0

"well, but everyone else has google adsense, what's the difference for google when they sink hubpages and raise others?"

The biggest gainers are stores such as Amazon.com and Sears plus Wikipedia. Good luck finding AdSense ads on those sites wink

2. profile image0

"well, but everyone else has google adsense, what's the difference for google when they sink hubpages and raise others?"

The algorithm has pushed up stores like Amazon and Sears, as well as Wikipedia. Good luck finding AdSense ads on those sites wink

4. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

When I look at results for my hubs I have more or less maintained my rankings. Any changes have been to the good. I still rank well for competitive terms such as "Guide To Google PageRank", "Article Spinning", "Keyword Research Tutorial" and many others. For me HubPages is still looking good.

That said, there is a lot of crap published here and as ryankett suggests tougher editorial controls are much needed if HubPages is to remain a valuable resource for article publishers.

1. profile image0

Are you surfing through a proxy when you conduct those searches?

1. Peter Hoggan profile image69
        Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nope I am using google.com with histoyy switched off. For me all results are in the top 3. Are you seeing something different?

1. profile image0

No I haven't checked your hubs Peter, but plenty of people were seeing one of mine at #1, #2 or #3 dependant on where they were in the US.

Sunforged then surfed through a proxy agent, and found it at #9. The decline in traffic was much more consistant with a #9 ranking than a drop from #1 to #3.

A few hours later and some of the others started seeing it at #9. Something to do with data centre location I guess hmm

5. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

There are so many idiotic things that you can find on Google, why would hubpages be lower in the ranks? In my situation, I usually use my username as a keyword, and let people find all of the sites I belong to, rather than having them search through millions of pages to find me.

But, I do notice that Youtube and Redgage rank higher in the search then my Hubpages. Also, I always get this message that "similar links have been blocked in this search. Do you want to see the blocked links as well?" But, clicking on yes, gives a list of all of my hubs, and links connected to them. Along with every post I have made in the forums, and some of the replies.

I also found some sites that I have not posted on in over 2 years! Along with finding my username linked to other webpages that have nothing to do with any of the sites that I belong to.

Like find Brimancandy on shopping.com. WTF! I'm just glad that those sites are not appearing at the top of the search list. So far so good. I should also mention that the more sites I join with the same username the more they compete with each other in the rankings.

If the new search leads you to some forums with a thimble full of information, that can't be good, and that can't be an improvement.

1. brimancandy profile image78
        brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is true, but it also depends on how you search. I did a little test, and when I did a photo search, a majority of my sites were at the top of the list.
        And, when I did a video search, only my stuff came up, and nothing else.

But, I am not hoping that just anyone will find me. I plan to have a target audience first, and then build a new audience through people that they communicate with. Sort of like how you find friends on facebook. I started there with no friends, and now I have 98, if you add all of my friends and followers from various sites, I have over 500 friends.

I also learned that I made $.23 cents today. When It took me almost a year just to make a dollar, so I'm heading in the right direction. Anything is better than nothing at all.

6. frogdropping profile image77

Well if it makes anyone feel a bit better my traffic is moving back up again. After much messing around it looks to be 10% better than it has been. Might not be much but that's 10% to the positive.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Mine is a bit better too, but I think that's only because its the end of the weekend, it normally picks up about now for me.
      I'm still about 25% down (haven't worked it out exactly).

7. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

OMG I read his www.yahoo.com hub! Did you see the comments? All those poor folk who couldn't access their email accounts left messages.

I was shocked when I read that also. People thought they were commenting to Yahoo. Very misleading Hub. How did it Not get hit with "misleading tags, title, etc" by HP?

1. profile image0

Too valuable to them? I attached myself to the 'related hubs' section and made a good few dollars a week alone by doing that.

You must be right there. I always hate it when I find material like that when searching on the web.
          My biggest gripe with Google has always been Images in search. You list one word or name and it shows 10,000,000 matches. After the first 3-4 lines of pics you find images that have absolutely nothing to do with your search for page upon pages. (Well, maybe one or two mixed in every 10 pages.)
          That is why I always use Yahoo for image search. It is more direct to what I am looking for.

2. Ign Andy profile image56
      Ign Andyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not so sure that was real comments. Some people use comments as strategy to update content.

1. profile image0

The hubber has not been active for years, and would he really facebook share it 512 times?

Go and check out the search term www.yahoomail.com and then come back when you have seen the figure, imagine the hub in 4th place on the Google rankings, and then provide your own estimate of the traffic to that hub wink

I would say 400,000 per month absolute minimum.

Ryan...I typed in the address just as you wrote it and it came up #2 on my Google search.

1. profile image0

Well there you go... a shining example of why the sh*t has hit the fan. Its #6 in the UK, was #4.

Wow, sounds like Google is listing more crap now with this change. Oh well, as far as my searching the web, I still prefer Yahoo. I only use Google sparingly and when I am checking my Hub status.

1. profile image0

What I am trying to say is that this sort of content, typical of a content farm, is precisely why Hubpages has been tarnished with the label "content farm" and precisely why people demanded the change in the first place. I am by no stretch of the imagination blaming Google, my point is rather simply that this Hubpage would not have gone unnoticed by Hubpages and yet they would have allowed it to remain on the basis of the traffic that it won for the site. What I am saying, quite simply, is that this type of strategy needs to change. Not Google, this is the response of Google to the trend, Hubpages needs to erradicate low quality sh*t like this. And they know that a lot of it exists, that is my very point!

And I do agree with you on that! I have been amazed at what I have been seeing while Hub Hopping lately. I do flag it!

Just checked, that hub only have 51 backlinks.
              So how it can perform well, not only for google.com but it also top 5 in many google search.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Hmmm...so MS is still not throwing out accurate results. He's still #2 though, right?

1. profile image0

I would take Market Samurai over most tools Izzy, particularly any free online ones.

I use yahoo site explorer, just for quick look. I think MS number more consistent considering SERP performance.

2. profile image0

The vast majority of backlink tools will show you only a handful of the total number of backlinks, I suggest that you ask which tool IzzyM is using, seeing as she found 8 times more than you.

3. Rosie2010 profile image67
              Rosie2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's 5th here in google.ca

2. IzzyM profile image87

Nope they were real. Some people even left their email addresses.

1. Ign Andy profile image56

In m opinion, there are too many repetitive pattern like people submitting same comment 3 times.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Well makes no odds, this guy is getting millions of hits...ON THIS HUB! It's one of his hot hubs...the other one too was  dating site or something??

2. IzzyM profile image87

Just saw this - desperate people do go back and repeat what they said, especially if they thought they were at a help desk of some sort.

1. profile image0

There are also over 3000 comments, I doubt the hubber would produce that many! So I have to say that no, they are not fake smile

3. David 470 profile image81

Holy crap that hub has a lot of comments! That hub must have gotten millions of views alone...Those people thought they were at yahoo, and left concerns on issues...

I am surprised that guy has been here on hubpages for so long.

I am surprised Yahoo didn't file a complaint!!!

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I did a search on Market Samurai.

Searches - 90,000 per day.
    Potential earnings for #1 spot $9,000

He is at #2 and he has 626 backlinks. All of them are PR0,(same as him) except for one which is a PR1 -

http://www.kv3pathankot.com/impwebsites.html

4th from top, takes you right back to his hub.

Is this hubber a member of the hubteam??

1. profile image0

Lol, I doubt its a member of the hubteam. My accusation isn't that serious.

But it is clear that Hubpages have "let this one slip" so to speak, purely on the basis of a)revenue, b)traffic stats or c) both.

I am simply saying that they need to place their emphasis on quality, as turning a blind eye to it in favour of statistics or revenue is a false economy.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I only mentioned the hub team because this hubber dates back 4 years to the start of the site. Now if he's not hubteam, why has he been allowed to keep a hub up that is clearly misleading, and that is against the rules?

1. profile image0

The traffic and ad revenues, probably.

9. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I love my Market Samurai when it's working well smile

10. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Well, I flagged that hub, but I won't hold my breath. That really is a money-maker for the site sad

11. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I just read his loan consolidation hub. It is ordinary to say the least with a hubscore of 64.Hubpages probably have no reason to take it down though if it is getting that many hits. It seems to be within TOS.

1. profile image0

Yes we know that all of this stuff is within their TOS, but that's the issue isn't it? That the TOS are not strong enough?

We are not talking about that Hubpage though, does that one get lots of hits too?

12. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

There is one is entitled 'Downloading Microsoft Word' but provides no download link, the type of stuff that makes me furious online. Possible misleading title?

There is another entitled 'Leather Photo Album: what is it, where to buy the best and cheapest' which provides no link and doesn't actually give you any idea where they are cheapest.

This one has 4657 comments: http://hubpages.com/hub/www_orkut_com

More than the YahooMail one!

'Southwest airline reservation phone number' should never be a hubpage, and the comments are from people thinking that they are talking to Southwest Airlines.

I have many other accounts to show, but I would prefer not to sit here hammering nails into the coffin of my most important income source smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

It just gets worse.

Did you read those poor folk's comments at what they thought was switchboard.com?

And as you say those travellers at the reservation line...

Hey money is money but this is just SAD!!

13. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Where are all the hubbers who usually post on the forums? How come they are not here to say - hey, come on let's put a stop to this crap now!

1. David 470 profile image81

Wasn't a habee often in the forums?

2. Peter Hoggan profile image69

It will be interesting to see how HubPages respond to this.  I would especially like to hear their comments on the hub under discussion.

1. IzzyM profile image87

I'd love to sit up and wait for more responses, but its almost 5am I need to go to bed.
        I doubt there'll be any response from HP.
        This can't be the first time this has been brought up, although its the first time I've heard about it.

Have you written to them about it?

I have reported what I have thought were spam hubs in the past, nothing happened so I don't bother anymore.

Don't you flag them?

1. IzzyM profile image87

Yeah I did. But the silence has been a bit deafening from others.

1. agvulpes profile image86
          agvulpesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well lizzy 'silent' I may be but I am out there 'flagging'. The same rate that I have been flagging since I started here. I just don't have the time to talk about it on the Forums.
          I read and support most of what you are saying smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

Cheers, agvulpes smile

I know loads of us have spent the weekend flagging, it's just for a time tonight it seemed like hardly anyone was joining in this thread.
            Glad the reinforcements have arrived!
            Now I really can go to bed smile

4. lrohner profile image69
      lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, come on! Let's put a stop to this crap now! smile

Seriously, I've been hubhopping my heart out for the past three weeks. I wish I had been doing it for the past two years, but I haven't.

I've found tons of stuff out there that is two to three years old that is serious, serious crap and a clear violation of TOS. I would bet that back then, their systems weren't as sophisticated and their staff wasn't as large, and that's why a lot of this stuff got through. As Ryan has said several times -- they need to go through and do a really good housecleaning.

And as I said yesterday, when you're hubhopping and you come across really bad garbage hubs, please check the hubber's profile page and other hubs for older hubs that are as bad and then flag appropriately.

I have done that recently and found all hubs by one that were all the same and flagged the profile as well as several of the hubs. I couldn't figure out how they even got published.

14. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Here is an extract from the last hub I reported:

The main advantages of receiving and giving cash are easy loan approval facility and getting short-term loans. In case of the loan approval bank will tries to make decision in short span of time.

It's still online, so why bother wasting time reporting crap if nothing gets done about it?

1. Mutiny92 profile image65
      Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

[ur;]http://hubpages.com/hub/Abut-Hanif[/url]

Looking at the writers, I wonder how many of the pure spammy/low quality articles could be minimized if new hubbers were given a probationary period...

Of course, that wouldn't stop the classic example that Ryan posted, but it might help address $#%@ like the one here.

The drawback is certainly the extra manpower needed to review them.  The benefit is the extra income that could be earned after recovering from Google's Farmer update.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Abut-Hanif

urgh---fat fingers today

1. IzzyM profile image87

I already flagged that one today! Guess that team haven't reached it yet.

2. David 470 profile image81

Why would somebody post something like that?

3. Rosie2010 profile image67
          Rosie2010posted 13 years agoin reply to this

this one says "No longer published"

I can't believe what I'm reading here.  I'm so disappointed at HP.

4. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just checked and this hub is no longer published, so either the author or Hubpages have removed it.

5. Mutiny92 profile image65

wow---kudos to HP for reacting so fast!

I did another report on the hub I mentioned before and it has been taken down as well. Great stuff HP.

2. Peter Hoggan profile image69

Yep, it probably does come down to how much time and resources HP can realistically put into policing spam.

15. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I think all the 'elites on Hubpages should  be given special powers for a while to take down hubs, that would be extra hands for the staff. We need to clean this site up.

A good idea. I imagine it would be relatively easy to implement as far as extra coding is concerned.

I like the idea Izzy.  Typically, the elites are folks who participate and have a vested interest in the success of hubpages.  It seems that it would help both hubpages and the active hubbers to have some sort of a mechanism to more quickly take down poor quality hubs. 

I could see where there needs to be controls or else it could be used inappropriately...an appeal system maybe?

2. tonymac04 profile image71
      tonymac04posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like this idea - the site needs a big clean-up and the elites would be given another meaningful role.

3. profile image0

That wouldn't work, too much conflict, and that would only serve to see elite members delete a few golden gooses or cash cow, thus making the situation even worse smile

I think that would be a rarity.  Or else the elite status would not last very long for that person.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Yeah give them guidelines and direct communication access with staff when in doubt.
          It would be a lot cheaper than employing a new staff member to do it, and new staff would not know the history of HP and what is acceptable and what isn't.

In return, HP could promote their hubs or something.

Maybe the elites don't want that extra responsibility of course?

4. JustMike profile image65
      JustMikeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the person with the yahoomail hub would be considered an elite.

16. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Based on what I've seen tonight, the HP team deserves a Purple Heart, a round of applause and a huge martini. smile

I've seen a few hubs called out here that have been taken down very quickly. Kudos HP Team!

I smell a new Accolade coming!  A purple heart for those hubbers who lived through the Farming Update. 

A big purple heart please!  tongue

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, can't wait to hear the story concerning the hubs, and authors thereof, discussed on this page.  Just found this thread and wish I hadn't.

Maybe it's our fault, I mean, I've never looked at bad hubs to flag them.  It's only since all of this fall out with google has happened that I've even considered it.  Maybe once we start to make a habit of flagging bad hubs HP will step up as well.  After all it must be hard to keep track of bad hubs if no one is flagging them.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think this is the problem, Brie.  Although I don't spend lots of time Hub Hopping, I've always tried to spare some time to scan the latest Hubs.

My effort was meant to catch the bad stuff before it slipped into the masses.  I never felt bad about rating down or flagging hubs because the bad ones hurt the good ones, as we have recently discovered. 

I've had other Hubbers tell me they never rate hubs down or flag them, they just didn't feel right about it.  I'll bet they've changed their views on this now.  smile

I'm sure they do and I am one of them smile  Actually, to tell you the truth, I've never even thought about it because I usually don't have the time to just hub hop...after reading the hubs I follow and writing my own that's about it.  But, due to this current situation and my awareness of the need for it I will definitely be doing it now.

17. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Hey Izzy, some of us have been sleeping after a hard weekend hub hopping! But now awake and ready to spring back into action LOL! Found a really sick hub yesterday written by someone who tried to chop his own bits off! Not at all family friendly!

Any guy that chops off his bits definitely won’t be family friendly anymore.

2. IzzyM profile image87

Missed that one! Glad you caught it smile

1. CMHypno profile image83
        CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It was a bit of a sick puppy hub, written by some guy who reckoned that he had been wrongfully imprisoned for homosexual sex crimes, was abused in prison and then attempted a diy chop job. Harrowing story if true, but the graphic content not really suitable for HP (I had just had my Sunday lunch!)

18. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Surprise surprise - yahoomail is still up.
    What a horrible misleading hub, all those poor folk leaving messages thinking they had found a help-desk while the author and Hubpages laugh all the way to the bank!

Even worse is the sites that have linked to it, no doubt mostly foreign, thinking that they were doing a public service.

This is shameful HP.

Hm... well, I think the moderators might be a little busy at the moment. What with all the hub hopping... and it being the weekend... I flagged 400 hubs yesterday myself over the weekend.

19. Thriller profile image60
    Thrillerposted 13 years ago

Well none of my Hubs tanked and I don't think Google has penalized HP as a whole, only the substandard Hubs, which shouldn't be seen as a penalty to the quality Hubs. As far as RedGage is concerned maybe Google indexes it quicker than HubPages and so it sees the RedGage article as original one and the Hub as copied. Maybe you should post the same article after your Hub has been indexed.

1. profile image0

The only people saying this are those who perhaps had no organic traffic to lose, chances are that if I only had a 10k traffic accolade and a portfolio of 19 hubs I wouldn't be noticing the effects either, as it happens I was getting 2 or 3 10k traffic accolades per day. In fact, I am still getting 1 and half 10k traffic accolades per day. If the traffic isn't there to lose then you won't lose it. A little like not caring if you lose your watch if it cost $20 but being very concerned about the safety of a solid gold rolex when walking down a dark alleyway.

1. Thriller profile image60
        Thrillerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well some people are so dumb that they misjudge quantity for quality. They aren't ware of Hubbers like Misha who with just 21 Hubs rakes in far more than 2or 3 10K "accolades' a day smile And the biggest idiots are those who generalize their condition for everyone.

1. profile image0

Of course I am aware of Misha raking in the accolades.

What I am saying to you is that if you had a portfolio of 718 hubpages you would be feeling the hit too. Sure, most of my Hubpages are unaffected.

But own a chain of 718 stores in the offline world and see 60 of those fail, you are likely to be feeling a hit much harder than a smaller chain of 19 which (through the law of averages) was lucky to escape without casualties.

Trust me, with a 10k accolade after 10 months, you really had nothing to lose. What have you earnt so far? $30? $40? I was earning $80+ a day. If I were earning pennies a day I would probably be boasting that my fortune hadnt been eroded too. As it happens it looks like I will still be earning $40 a day.

Comparing me to you is like comparing chalk and cheese. I would happily watch as you attempt to publicly tell Mark Knowles that his Hubs have zero quality? Go on, it would make me laugh.

The problem with you is that you are bitter about criticism of your Hubs and you feel like taking it out on a forum. And did you notice how self-contradictory you are?

If most of your Hubs were unaffected how did you fall from $80 to $40? Or if I for a moment agree that most were unaffected then only the high traffic ones which got you the max revenue took the hit. That means most of your other 'properties' were low value anyway.

I only have admiration for Hubbers like Misha and Mark Knowles and Chuck irrespective of the number of Hubs they publish 'coz I learn something of value from their writing which is in stark contrast to my impression about some Hubbers who are so full of themselves that they can't realize the value of 19 Hubs or 10K accolades.

1. profile image0

"I only have admiration for Hubbers like Misha and Mark Knowles and Chuck irrespective of the number of Hubs they publish 'coz I learn something of value from their writing"

It is you who is being contradictory. You are saying that only low quality hubs are being hit, and then you have named two hubbers (Misha and Mark Knowles) who have been hit just as hard or possibly harder than me.

So are criticising the quality of my hubs then? To be honest I didn't realise that you were using me as a case study, please feel free to be a little more specific in your criticism.

Please explain how Mark Knowles and Misha have been hit on the basis of their quality hubs being low-quality? I am intriqued, what a great conundrum. I suspect that you won't be able to explain that, other than to admit that I am right in saying that you are wrong.

How about Nelle Hoxie? And Sunforged? Have they lost traffic as a result of poor quality? Shall I run through an entire list of people who have been hit by this change? Would you be prepared to back up your claims with evidence of their poor quality produce?

How about frogdropping? Once you have justified your wild claim I will provide you with more supposive "low quality" hubbers, then perhaps we have a real debate on our hands.

Wow! You should take a moment to understand what you read before blurting out, Mr "Occasional" Genius. I said I like them for their writing, nothing about the traffic their Hubs are generating. And I did say all of them are great hubbers. Plz re-read smile

As far as your case study is concerned I couldn't help it as you were so kind to disclose your figures. And your reply still doesn't clear the contradiction in your $80 to $40 slide reasoning.

1. profile image0

You said:

"I don't think Google has penalized HP as a whole, only the substandard Hubs"

Now, please back this up with evidence, preferably using the portfolios of any established hubber.

Tell me how you think that Me, Sunforged, Nelle Hoxie, Frogropping, Mark Knowles, Misha, or any other established hubber, has been penalized as a result of their substandard hubs.

And, when you back up your claims with examples, we can all compare the Hubpages written by those hubbers with yours - perhaps then you can teach us to create "quality hubs" hmm

I see you just can't fight you own battles so you've involved others. Ha ha. This still doesn't take away the fact that your reps are self-contradictory. And as you had assumed the 19 Hubs only make pennies then how come you agree 21 Hubs rake in the moolah?

BTW I was right about Non-Aligned nations and Google Vs Facebook smile

20. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

On the plus side round here my hubs are total crap and I have only been hit as much as those who publish high wquality hubs.

So it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Mark, c/o Retired GentleFolk Centre And Insane Asylum.

21. TPSicotte profile image75
    TPSicotteposted 13 years ago

Actually Ryan I think your hubs are well written, well organized and informative. Many are on subjects I have an interest in. After two years I hope I have over 700 hubs here and I am making a few dollars in the process. No idea how people can judge quality without actually looking at some hubs. I know after 46 hubs there is no way I can judge spikes or dips in traffic. I just can't really tell yet. There's not  enough data..

1. profile image0

Cheers, appreciate that, although you may be best served to concentrate some of those efforts on building up your own blog or two smile

Many of us wish that a little more of our effort was concentrated in that direction.

1. TPSicotte profile image75
        TPSicotteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip. My plan is to do both. I really started writing hubs just to practice writing content for a website that will later provide me with revenue streams outside the usual affiliate approach. However, I am learning a lot about backlinking, keyword search, and just trying to write decent content. Since I started though it has become a bit of an addiction. I have never been an all my eggs in one basket kind of guy so I don't plan on starting now. Still, the hubpages community has been interesting and helpful so far.

I guess a lot of hubbers will do what you are recommending if traffic really has fallen a lot but it must be hard to diversify once revenue starts to roll in from one source. Kinds like those lab rats with the feeder bar that don't stop once they find the formula that gets them what they want.

22. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

RyanKett, don't feed the troll.

23. frogdropping profile image77

There may a chance my hubs are substandard huh? Damn my grammar school english literature teacher!

What do frog droppings look like? smile

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

<<<< Like that smile

LOL

24. JustMike profile image65
    JustMikeposted 13 years ago

If it's any consolation the traffic seems to be coming back as of yesterday. I hope that's the case for everyone.

1. profile image0

That is normal for a Monday, weekends are always less busy.

What we see today is what we can expect for a Monday from now on, expect next Saturday and Sunday to be much the same as the past two days.

Might be even worse next Monday, they still haven't rolled out to the UK yet.

1. profile image0

It will be a few more weeks I suspect before they make it international.

I really do not understand why they didn't do the testing and stuff in a smaller English speaking country, rather than completely alter the online industry in America overnight.

I suspect that they didn't want to give people the chance to identify content which was about to collapse.

2. Spacey Gracey profile image38
        Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well that's a kicker coz I have had no Monday rebound - still falling at a rate of 100 views a day.

Interesting times, if a little depressing.

1. profile image0

Mine is on the up, but not at a particularly impressive rate, I will have to wait until 8am our time of course to confirm my traffic, but ultimately at very best it will match my pre-slap weekend traffic, probably less than that sad

25. Spacey Gracey profile image38
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Actually now I've thought about it some more, my two biggest traffic winners were nearing the end of their natural life anyway so the end has just been a bit more abrupt than I was expecting.

I would be very happy to hang on to even half of what I was making before, so fingers crossed it stabilizes soon.

I've been waiting to delete my RG links not knowing what would happen with this.  Unfortunately, I think it may be time as they are having the opposite effect that I want from them.

26. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 13 years ago

I am in the process of deleting my links on RedGage. They did little for me in the perspective of SEO even before Google changed their algorithm. I am deleting each link and severing my relationship with RedGage. I don't want the content that I make real money with (HubPages) to be tied to something that could be hurting my rankings in the search engine (RedGage.)

Not ALL backlinks are good ones. Some backlinks have been known to be hurtful... such as link farms like RedGage.

27. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I find that RedGage is hardly worth my while posting at for the search engine results or pittance of an income! I still have hubs at the top of the Google search results!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)