Featured Guest Chef Roti n Rice - Savory Steamed Glutinous Rice Recipe

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. AtHomeWithRebecka profile image59
    AtHomeWithRebeckaposted 13 years ago

This is a very momentous day...Today I'm featuring one of my favorite food bloggers on my new Hub Page...Biren!!

Biren writes, Roti n Rice and is a dynamic chef and food photographer! Her food blog is very special to me as she inspires me with her with words and her passion for cooking. I truly admire her way around the kitchen!

I'm also kicking off my new At Home with Rebecka-Hug Page Featured Guest Post and Food Blog Directory. I'm happy to share that Biren is my "first" Featured Guest on my New Hub Pages.

Every two weeks my Hub Page will feature a fellow food blogger biography, recipe and photos. Some of the featured guests have been around the food blogging world for a long time and others have just begun their journey.

I hope to create a resource, in a new venue, for food enthusiasts; a place to find fantastic food bloggers who frequently get missed in the vast world of food blogging.

Let me introduce you to my friend Biren. Once you see her in action you'll be hooked on her blog just like I am! Welcome Biren!!..

Hi! I am Biren of Roti n Rice and I am deeply honored to be the first featured guest here in At Home with Rebecka. Many thanks to my gracious host Rebecka for inviting me to share with you a little bit about myself and my blog. My base is the Twin Cities, Minnesota with its diverse city culture and just a stone�s throw away from the rich farmlands of the surrounding region.

At Roti n Rice, I blog about my passion for cooking and memories made in the kitchen. From here, I spend time rediscovering old family recipes and dreaming up new ones. My family is my greatest food inspiration and it is a joy to share with my children the foods of my childhood and to help them broaden their palates. That is why I will only cook foods the family enjoys because food is most delicious and tasty when shared.

The other thread of inspiration for my food comes from my Malaysian heritage. Growing up, home cooking was an eclectic mix of Chinese, Malay, and Indian cuisines. These cultures infuse my cooking with the spices of the East, rich flavors from centuries of culinary excellence. After moving to the States, I started baking and incorporating more western cuisines into my daily repertoire. Today, my cooking reflects a little of the culture that I live in which is a melting pot of cuisines.

I invite you to join me on my culinary adventures at my blog...
    And now, let me share this recipe with you...

Source: Roti n RiceSavory Steamed Glutinous Rice

Lo Mai Fun as this dish is known in Malaysia, is a popular breakfast street food. Steamed in large trays and topped with chopped peanuts, dried shrimps, sliced green onions, and chilies, it is considered the simple cousin of the dim sum favorite, Lo Mai Kai (Steamed Glutinous Rice with Chicken) made in individual bowls. This dish can certainly be made vegetarian by omitting the dried shrimps.

Here is what you will need to put it together.

2 cups glutinous rice, soaked for at least 4 hours or overnight

1 tsp sesame oil

½ tsp five spiced powder

1 tsp salt

1¼ cups water

Toppings

¼ cup toasted peanuts, chopped

¼ cup dried shrimps

1 onion or 6 shallots, finely sliced

5 to 6 green onions, finely sliced

2 red Anaheim chilies, seeded and sliced

¼ cup canola oil

Rinse and drain dried shrimps. Soak in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain and give shrimps a rough chop.

Heat oil in a medium sized pan. Fry onions or shallots until brown and crispy. Remove with a slotted spatula. Add chopped dried shrimps and fry till crispy. Again remove with slotted spatula. Set aside.

Place a metal rack in the center of wok. Fill with about 1½ inches of water. Bring to a boil.

Rinse and drain soaked glutinous rice. Transfer rice to a heatproof dish. Add sesame oil, five spice powder, salt and water. Transfer dish to wok, place a dome lid on, and steam for 15 minutes. Remove lid, fluff rice with fork. Cover and steam for another 5 minutes. Remove from wok and allow to cool for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle peanuts, cooked onions and dried shrimps, green onions and chilies onto rice.

Serve immediately. Time to dig in!

I hope you enjoyed the post and recipe.

Yours Truly,

Biren

AtHomeWithRebeckaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Susana S profile image91
        Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Self promotion is not allowed in the forums........

1. Pearldiver profile image67
          Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is all self promotion ... but I could almost taste those photos! smile

2. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

Yes - shameless self-promotion,  very tasty promotion too !

3. AtHomeWithRebecka profile image59
    AtHomeWithRebeckaposted 13 years ago

Guess I'm still learning what self promotion is exactly...I'm new to hub pages so I apologize if I stepped out of bounds! 

Should I assume that people reading the forum post will go back to my hub page and view the photos?  A recipe isn't the same without the photo...we eat with our eyes!  Also, it helps when making a new dish to see the finished product. 

Sorry, to break protocol...will delete the comment!

4. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Don't delete your post... it's like having nothing to say when you know you should be talking!
    What you do need to do is to go to the learning center below and follow the lessons... you will find it excellent.
    Waste of time putting a recipe on a forum... put them into a new hub.
    And 'Self Promotion' is only able to be done once you have published your hubs.  You ask us to peruse it for improvement, in the Extreme Makeover forum. In that way you can post a link and you will gain valuable advice from others. Good Luck.

AtHomeWithRebeckaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pearldiver,  I'll spend some much needed time in the learning center and Extreme Makeover Forum before adding any new content. 

I appreciate your advice and candor!

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are most welcome smile
        Many here Do NOT Appreciate those traits sad
        So I appreciate your compliment.
        It's all a learning curb... but a good one smile

I like what you are trying to do.. but you may have to make some adjustments.
        What's in your fridge?
        I think you may get visitors! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)