Ever get banned on purpose?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Rising Caren profile image80
    Rising Carenposted 13 years ago

Has anyone ever gotted banned (from the forums, not the whole site) on purpose?

I swear I spend so much time reading the forums, I almost want to get myself banned so I can do something else! There should totally be a self-ban button tongue (that was a joke, not a real suggestion)

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There have been self bans by members here.  I am considering one myself.  lol

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this
      1. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh geez, I needed a laugh.. 

I've thought about it, but figured it wasn't worth it, that's one reason why I have a few forums filtered.. now I don't even see the titles. big_smile

2. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those were the good old days, Mark. And that was a classic! smile

2. Rising Caren profile image80
    Rising Carenposted 13 years ago

I woke up at 11 and soon after came on the forums

It is now 2:51pm and I'm still on the forums (ok and checking email and google reader and watching tv. Forum checking isn't my only vice).

However I haven't done anything worthwhile yet.
    If only I could have an old fashioned teacher right next to me to slap me with a ruler for not doing something worthwhile!

3. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 13 years ago

A ban won't stop you from reading, it will only stop you from posting. And with 24 posts (even in 10 days) it's not what I'd call an addiction.

But you do have 9 hubs in 10 days, which is good.

You'll just have to exert some self control.

And perhaps aim at spending no more than 20% of the time you have available to spend at HubPages in the forum. If you're using the other 80% for writing, editing and publishing hubs then you're doing well.

1. Rising Caren profile image80
      Rising Carenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I did say I spent a lot of time reading. I never said I spent too much time posting. It's amazing how much a person can read without replying to anything.

But aww sad a ban won't stop reading? Guess that won't fix my problem.

1. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As Yoda once said: "Control, control, you must learn control."

2. camlo profile image84
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could use Edweirdo's plug-in to turn off all of the Forums - of course, you'd have to resist turning them back on again.
        Have to go now ... I really shouldn't be here ...

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Usually, I only pop on here from time to time through a day, so I don't worry about how much time I'm on here.  Last week, though - that's something else!  I've been on a big binge (apparently) because a) all that stuff that was going on last Thursday was pretty interested to read, b) it's been horribly, bitter, cold and windy, here; so I've kind of shut down on doing things anyway; and c) I have a bunch of things in the making, and I'm incubating another bunch things in my "shut-down" time.  Every so often I just have to go into "shut-down" for a few days if time permits.  The good thing is, though, that watching the forums for a few days can give a person lots of ideas about things to write in the future.

In any case, when I get into one of these "horrible" binges they're self-limited because projects show up, weekends come, the weather gets better, etc. etc.  Behind the "forum scene", I've been getting a bunch of Hubs that I'm actually kind of enthusiastic about written/partially written.  My stretch of goof-off time has done me good.  Strangely, the more energetic I get, the more I post AND get other stuff done - so I don't feel guilty or self-conscious about more time on here than usual.  smile  (All that aside, it was pretty hard to get away from reading what was going on last Thursday with the Google thing.  It's been much the same all week.  60 degrees coming up this weekend, though!  I'll be among the missing for quite some time.  smile  )

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Ever get banned on purpose?

Actually, I've made statements that I knew beforehand would lead to myself getting banned. However, it felt good to get it off my chest. lol

However, there have been some members who have implemented self-bans, so they could leave or stay away from the forums. If you have no ability to post to the forums, then most often than not, you'll not even read them. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)