Is heaven a real place or a state of being?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    nazishnasimposted 14 years ago

Hello Everyone,
               I joined hubpages a few days back and already loving the place. I found a topic under discussion at a website and wrote created a hub on it:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Is-heaven-a-rea … e-of-being

However, after posting it I thought that I would really like to hear views of my fellow hubbers on the topic. So, here's the question, "Is heaven a real place or a state of being?"

1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Neither. It is a figment of your imagination.

1. profile image0
        nazishnasimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

By 'figment of imagination', are you coming from an agnostic view, an atheist view or some other view?

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A real place wich requires a different state of being.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 14 years ago

""Is heaven a real place or a state of being?""
    What does 'state of being' mean?

1. profile image0

I fully agree with 'hubby7' : "My sense is that heaven is a state of being. As is said in the New Testament: "The Kingdom of Heaven is within." I tend to think that it is within all of us. We are just not aware of it. It lies dormant in most of us, untapped, and untouched."

'State of being' would mean a place that doesnot exist physically but lies within us. "The kingdom of heaven is within us; that is where the kingdom of hell is too"- Bible.

3. Shil1978 profile image85
    Shil1978posted 14 years ago

There's only one way to find that out (for sure), and for that, you'd have to wait - as we all have to wait. In the meantime, one can keep guessing.

4. Raven King profile image59
    Raven Kingposted 14 years ago

Most certainly heaven is a real place. I think the dead people get to live in the after life and some of them garden, go on vacation. Sometimes the departed ones visit in our dreams.

1. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's pretty close to my perception of heaven, but it's "only" the place we hang out in between the end of one life and the beginning of the next.

1. Raven King profile image59
        Raven Kingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aha! I was wondering if hell or heaven could be temporary till a possible reincarnation.

1. JamaGenee profile image78
          JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just call wherever we go after our present bodies die "the In Between Place".  Where our souls change planes, if you don't mind the intentional pun. (I couldn't resist!)

Or you could call it "Summer Land".
            I like the plane reference. big_smile

2. Shil1978 profile image85
      Shil1978posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I find it hard to believe that heaven can be a physical place!!

5. AEvans profile image74
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I believe there is a heaven and it is something glorious and beautiful when we leave, matter of fact I know there is and will leave it at that.smile

6. hubby7 profile image63
    hubby7posted 14 years ago

My sense is that heaven is a state of being. As is said in the New Testament: "The Kingdom of Heaven is within." I tend to think that it is within all of us. We are just not aware of it. It lies dormant in most of us, untapped, and untouched.

hubby7

7. worldscope profile image60
    worldscopeposted 14 years ago

I believe " a state of being" is by definition a place - of some sort. In addition, if I believe or assume that "a state of being" exists, then logically i can conclude that "a state of being" is a real place. Hence i think it is more important to ask whether heaven is real or not or enquire the definition of "heaven" or the definition of "state of being".

8. profile image0
    TheSandmanposted 14 years ago

Heavenis t high 2 ft away from your side and all around you

9. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

From an agnostic point of view.I have written my views on my hubs before if you care to look.Thanks for the sensible reply, I am not used to that on the religious forums!

1. profile image0

You shouldn't thank me for the reply. Any mature individual would have said the same thing. Nobody should stand to judge another person's religious views; be it a hardcore religious fanatic or an atheist. Everybody's religion is there own business.

10. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

Someone once said that when we die we all go to the same place in afterlife, this place being called Heaven. But many of us actually can't stand this place, being in essence a haven of peace and beauty, and of loving, and so they decide to depart to another place where they can gather and fulfill their own nature. There they can do nasty things to themselves and each other thus creating a place called Hell.

Well, this is certainly not what I believe, but the idea just stuck in my head somehow.

1. profile image0

I don't know if what you quoted was meant to be a joke but it really made me laugh and I must say that it was quite interesting to read.

11. SparklingJewel profile image68
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

Heaven and hell are other dimensions. Out of this "real" level of time and space, yet can be interpenetrating with them, or not (but still "recognize" them). They are energetic planes of other vibratory dimensions. Other planes of consciousness that any soul of a person can sense if they learn to be or already are "attuned" or "sensitive" to it/them.

12. RKHenry profile image62
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

You know, I'm pretty much a non-believer.  But I do believe in Ghosts and spirits, so if their was a heaven, why would they still be hanging around here?

Some people say that we the living are holding the departed ones here when we miss them and the grieving process.

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good question.They are supposedly not ready to go back to the light-God -home.
      Confused they linger around after death as ghosts.This often happens to someone who dies in an accident or murder,suddenly.

They are attached to something or someone and cannot let go.

A strange story.A good friend of mine died suddenly due to a heart attack.His relatives came from all over India to pay their respects.There was this young boy age four who was talking to someone in the hall.When he was asked who he is talking to he said the name "Anil uncle" and that Anil was sitting in the chair.
      No one else could see Anil. smile

13. Lou Purplefairy profile image60
    Lou Purplefairyposted 14 years ago

i'm of the belief that we create our own reality by our positive or negative thought patterns, therefore, the concept of heaven and hell will exist in whatever form you create them to be.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)