Is this "depression" as bad as the others we have had in the past?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 13 years ago

In this time of economic struggle, I have heard many people say we are only going to lose more and that it is going to be harder than any other depression we have ever had... is this true or people just finding a way to describe their economic woes?

2. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

The west has been in recession since the early 1970's - the periods that economists and the media claim as any kind of "not being in depression" are just short spikes of apparent recovery.

There is a major flaw in world economics in its basic premise that the base quantity of all the economies will always continue to expand - patent bull@@it that nobody seems willing to address.  This thinking arose in the dawn of modern economics with colonisation - where the base 'quantity' or sum total did expand.  Colonisation is largely over - except for the American model of colonisation by franchise and 'global' companies.

It is time economists shed their super rich riders and tell it like it is and start planning for balanced economics where gobal corporations become unworkeable and local industry and business becomes the norm again.

The most simple and obvious example is the bacon in your superstore that grew in one country, got processed in another, packaged in another and sold in another. Versus the bacon in my local market that grows within earshot, is processed less than 1 kilometer up the road and is sold in my next door market.  No vast quantities of fuel to drive it, train it, fly it, no overdose of suspicious chemicals to make it last long enough to get half way around the world, no corporation putting all the small players out of the game by underpricing until they have control of the whole market.  Same goes for everything you buy and consume.

1. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting...I didn't know you could grow bacon. Why stop at buying local? Let's just ignore law order and property rights and live off the land as hunters and gatherers!

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Didn't know that you could grow bacon" lol

1. Alexander Pease profile image60
          Alexander Peaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I sit here, laughing at the wording. I think to myself, "where can I get some of this bacon seed?"

I just can't stop laughing. Seriously.

1. John Holden profile image61
            John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Erm, where to get bacon seed, now let me think, erm, wouldn't be out of a boar would it?

Ohh... *frowny face* ... that's umm... Anyways, depressions in the economy are bad, and it doesn't look like the US is doing anything to solve their debts. In fact, they are trying to keep Japan's economy stable because they invested money over there, (Toyota, Honda, etc.)

So, unless a genie comes along and came magically erases the trillions of dollars in deficits, I think that the US will be in this depression for a long time. But, hey, it is all matter of supply and demand, and the supply is dropping like a rock...

3. JeniferD profile image59
    JeniferDposted 13 years ago

I have to say it is worse than ever; the governments have a very twisted set of priorities and their first priority is POWER. The U.S. government says we're broke, but, continue to print money to fund an illegal war we cannot afford, they continue to cut funding to programs designed to keep our elderly and disabled taken care of, and off the streets, but, somehow manage to shit a few million to send to foreign countries under the guise of 'foreign aid'.

When a government's priorities mean outside nations' welfare takes precedence over their own countrymen, it's time to get rid of them.

Remember, politicians are like diapers; they must be changed often and for the same reasons.

4. tritrain profile image69
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

I thought we were calling this "The Great Recession".  No?

That is what analysts are saying so that the general public aren't scared into withdrawing their stocks and cashing out.

It all actuality, the entire world is in a depression. Global markets are dropping and there isn't anything anyone can do about it. But, if the general public knew about this then consumer spending would decline and then the US and world economy would be in big trouble.

To answer your question Phoebe, yes. The "great" depression of the thirties has an impact but, mostly on the US. This depression, recession, (whatever you want to call it), is having an impact on the world. Our connectivity is slowly killing us, due to the fact that not all economies are created equal.

5. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

The Great Depression was the first recession that the government stepped in to try to fix. It lasted for 2 decades.

This Depression (no, it's not a recession - all the words mean the same thing. They used to be called "panics") the government is trying to solve everything once again.

But this time, the Fed has been keeping interest rates at 0% for well over 2 years now, and there are no signs of the rates increasing.

In so doing, the money supply has more than Quintupled in under 10 years.

Things are going to go horrible.

6. CHRIS57 profile image62
    CHRIS57posted 13 years ago

I think the word "depression" originated from pressing into a flat surface and creating a dent. Now - going from the higher level of a flat road into the dent, that is what is referred to as going into a depression.
    The little picture makes one assumption, the assumption of always being a way out of of the dent, out of depression. Is that so?
    I donĀ“t think so. What if there is no dent but the whole economic road is permanently deformed (lets say by other emerging economic heavyweights like China or India). Then of course the dent, the depression pit cannot be filled with monetary means to ease the way out of the depression.
    Signs are strong that things will not recover. So this is no depression, no bump in the economic road, it is a permanent situation and better adjust to it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)