(D) Gavin Newsum for Prez 2020?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

After Obama's 2nd term the Democrats will have to come up with a new candidate for president.
    I've got my eye on Gavin Newsum.
    Former mayor of San Francisco, recently elected Lieutenant Governor of California.
    He's got age on his side -- he'll be 44 this year.
    He's got looks and charm.
    He's very articulate.
    And he's got great "fairness" ideas. As you may recall, he legalized gay marriage in SF (makes sense!).
    I saw him on Bill Maher's show the other night talking about women's rights and the US in comparison with other countries (we don't stack up that well -- not unlike our healthcare system).

Anyway, what do you think of Newsum?
    Rising star?
    Will his Achilles' heels trip him up?

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you're gonna push Newsom, at least get his name spelled right! :-)

2. junkseller profile image79
      junksellerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For me, having an affair excludes him from Presidential material (or really much of any material at all). Especially if he wants to run on a moral platform, such as gay marriage and women's rights.

2. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

He's the one that Savage calls "Two-some Newsum"?

He sounds good to me!
    More young and progressive the better.

These repressive OLD fogies have got to go!!

Retire already....stop brining your old dead ideas to this ever-young country!

In case no one noticed, people are sick of the old paradigm.
    We are revolting and turning over a new leaf.

Progressive is the only way to go.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If Savage doesn't like him, he's probably ok.

3. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"Anyway, what do you think of Newsum?
    Rising star?" That's Newsom kiddo. I have heard him on the radio a number of times.
    I like him. But he could never be president. He don't belong to the club.
    Interested in the 'I see in colors' remark. Would you see Newsom as any particular color, it that was you?

4. Mighty Mom profile image78

Two-some Newsum. Haven't heard that one, but don't doubt it. I mean, it rhymes, for goodness sake!

Newsum is cut from the Kennedy cloth in many respects. Including his propensity for ladies. He had an affair with the wife of one of his aides (or something like that) and his marriage broke up. He then had several girlfriends.
    He's now remarried as of 2008 and he and his wife have a daughter,born in 2009 (no, she was not pregnant when they got married).
    Oh yes, and his wife is an actress AND has an MBA! Yowzah!

The womanizing is definitely a symptom of alcoholism and Newsum has gone through rehab. He would not be the first alcoholic president(not by a long shot).

I really like his ideas. He DOES break the old paradigm!!

5. Mighty Mom profile image78

Nope, I'm not the one who thinks in colors. But that's an interesting thought. What color are various people?
    I have a former boss who sees people's "auras." He will not work with people with certain aura colors...

Anyway, Newsum does have some pretty good creds. His father manages the Getty Trust. He is descended from King Richard II of France. He has business experience in addition to political.

But before I swallow the koolaid, I have to make sure he's not John Edwards Junior, know what I mean....?

6. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Hmmmm...let's see.  You ream the Repbulicans for their past and present transgressions, yet you are promoting a candidate that has down the same things.  Hypocrisy is one of the first words that comes to mind.
    Maybe Charlie Sheen can be his running mate! smile

7. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

He's got a few spots on his record but I could see him being groomed for a presidential run. He was on Bill Maher recently and he just seemed like a presidential candidate. He stayed serious but not cold (on a show where vulgarity and crude jokes are common), and he came off like an expert on every topic they discussed.

8. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

Ron Paul 2012.

9. Mighty Mom profile image78

Evan, you get points for consistency, that's for sure!
    But what about AFTER 2012? We're talking 8 years out from 2012.
    Can't still be Ron Paul smile

I don't ream Republicans for their past and present transgressions unless they are being hypocritical about said transgressions or holding themselves up as scions of morality and get caught with their pants down...

I am not thrilled with Newsum's past actions as I know they make him vulnerable to attack. But these days multiple marriages are not automatic cause for dismissal (look at John McCain). But knowing what I know about alcoholism, I see the cause/effect in Newsum. If he's got the drinking licked, his behavior should calm down....
    Then again, he could be a lifelong womanizer like the Kennedys.
    Doesn't make him any less brilliant on the issues.

There -- I didn't vilify a single Republican! And hopefully have clarified my position. I am many things, but not hypocritical smile.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
      Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

8 years from now? Unless Paul wins two elections in a row, I'll still be here demanding him.

10. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"If Savage doesn't like him, he's probably ok." Can you believe that Savage was once a SF North Beach Beatnic?

11. Mighty Mom profile image78

*doh*
    I will spell Mr. Newsom's name correctly.
    X100

Thanks, Ralph!

12. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I'm terribly confused about the math here.

Okay, assuming a second term is realistic, the election (for a second term) would take place in 2012, yes? the term would run 2013-2016, yes?

So, why this? :

Are you assuming that a Republican will win in 2016? Or that Obama will issue a presidential decree that will allow three terms?  Maybe he will decree that second terms last eight years instead of four, as first terms do?  Or some other interesting scenario?

13. Mighty Mom profile image78

lol at myself! Yeah, my math skills are pretty sketch. Blame it on my liberal arts education... lol

Ok --
    Scenario #1: Obama wins a second term. 2012-2015.
    America will need a new Democrat candidate in 2016.
    In my head, I was thinking that Newsom (note correct spelling) could do one of two things:
    1. He could run for Diane Feinstein's CA Senate seat in 2012. That reelection would be in 2018 and he could run for a second term but 1/2 way through run for POTUS.
    2. He could stay in CA state government. Much depends on Jerry Brown's stomach for punishment. He may do one term (ends 2013) or he may do two (ends 2017). If he does 2 terms then Newsom wouldn't be running for Governor till 2018.
    Unless he wants to pull at Sarah Palin, leaving the governorship after 1/2 a term is not cool (although for some reason leaving Congress after a partial term is not looked upon as negatively).

Then again, Newsom could run in 2016... who knows.

As for Ron Paul, my math there was based on making Evan's dream come true and RP winning in 2012. And getting a second term to be finished in 2019. Under that scenario my math for Newsom running in 2020 makes sense...

So sorry for the confusion.
    MM

1. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't think they have invented the math yet that could get Ron Paul elected. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)