Well, it's fun time. Here they are. The GOP Pick.

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (43 posts)
  1. OLYHOOCH profile image59
    OLYHOOCHposted 13 years ago
    1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Looks like President Obama will get a second term.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Doug.
        I'd say Obama is on a home run.

1. AnnCee profile image68
          AnnCeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good heavens, I need new glasses.   When I saw your post I thought it read,
          "I'd say Obama is a moron."

Like his Director of National Intelligence you know?

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"Looks like President Obama will get a second term." Guaranteed.

Nothing is guaranteed. But I note that the teabaggers who are rabid in their opposition to President Obama personally are not FOR anyone or FOR any clear policy. Being against will not be enough - the opposition will have to declare specifically what they are FOR and how they will acomplish it.

I'm for plenty. 

Fiscal responsibility at the federal level, limited federal government, and much less interference by the federal government in the markets.  I'm for freedom.

The stench of fascism is getting to be a bit rich in Washington these days.  Control control control.   They don't even tell business what the control will look like either.  Their reform bill says, "Oh, we'll know wrongdoing when we see it and we'll figure out how to hurt you once we've figured out what you've done."  Nice.

Still don't have a candidate though.

You read off those talking points just fine. "Fiscal responsibility & limited government". Who could be against that? Til you find out that public school teachers will take a pay cut to pay for tax cuts for the rich. We are all seeing what's in the small print of the new teabagger contract on America.

Who could be against that??

http://www.obamablog08.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/obama-smile.jpg

2. profile image48
            ShortStoryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"pay cut" is disingenuous, and the use of childish insults is inappropriate.

3. profile image48
    ShortStoryposted 13 years ago

You guys are hilarious!

4. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

A motley crew, for sure!

So, Doug says hhe GOP will have to stop being the party of "NO" for this election. Not necessarily...
    If sentiment against Obama is high enough, they could take it in the same way Obama took it in 2008. Back then it was "ABB" (Anyone But BUSH lol) and McCain couldn't distance himself enough from Bush (among other liabilities who shall remain nameless).
    In 2012 it could end up as "ABO" (Anyone But Obama).
    But it's highly unlikely.

Meanwhile, it will be fun watching the GOP figure out who they are and what they stand for. If they even can smile.

Teabaggers vs. Rinos.
    Ladies and gentlemen, place your bets!!!

5. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

i agree, its hard to see the GOP being able to comunicate who they are and what theyre about when all they know is who theyre not and what theyre against,... being the oposition only gets you so far,...

personaly,... i want Mr christy of newjersy,... like a GOP version of clinton,... love watching the man work a news conference,...

although you only need to be able to speak in full sentances and not drop the muslim or terror turd into the conversation every 10 words to be better than the curent crop of GOP hopefulls.

i say this a certified repub.

6. Mighty Mom profile image77

Maybe the GOP hopefuls should draw straws....

7. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I'm interested in Huntsman and Daniels, or maybe even Cain. Rubio for VP. I like Huckabee, but he's too socially conservative for me. The TP will probably never support Huntsman or Daniels because they're too socially moderate. But that's what I want!

8. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

At this point in time- government has become a complete farce, as a whole.

Yes, America broke away from the British many years ago, however, it has never failed to break the stranglehold on the banking system adopted.

Many people want to continue to point the finger in each direction, except at the main problem to begin with. The simple fact that Politics, Religion and the Wealthy(the absurd ones), control 99% of the wealth of the world is utter ridiculous.

America has been suffering since it's inception, because the Economy isn't being approached in the proper manner. This fundamental flaw in government action is the cause for many other issues. Aside for the lack of equal rights and equality in life, it is the underlying problem.

Equal rights is still a problem today. Equality appears to be thought of entitlements, which people fail to realize the federal government shouldn't be providing any entitlements whatsoever.

Any and all entitlements should be coming from the States themselves. The Federal Government should only have one job- to protect the citizenry from domestic and foreign threats.

It's unfortunate that they are failing to do both. The underlying problem is a foreign threat, developed by the more advance societies, before America became a nation.

So, if you're serious about a Candidate- ask them the hard questions, never mind about the distraction they sell you.

9. Mighty Mom profile image77

Hello Ms. Habee!
    Hope your presence here with us means you're feeling good!
    Nice to see you.
    Moderates Rule!!!

10. profile image48
    ShortStoryposted 13 years ago

A little ridiculous to moan about America "suffering since its inception" considering it has become the wealthiest, most powerful country in the history of the planet.

To look at America today and claim there is no equality is almost as ridiculous.

People just love the doom and gloom crap. It makes them feel important that 'they' get it and can share their 'wisdom' and 'insight' with the ignorant masses.

Sheeeeeesh......

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

roll

1. profile image48

But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess...

You're right. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. And, they have the right to say what that opinion is. To be mocked by you, because you fail to read through my post completely. Isn't my fault and neither was the flippant post you made.

The "ignorant" masses? Was it your implication that I was ignorant. I don't care if you insult me. You have nothing to gain, because if you read my words carefully, then you might actually learn something.

There was nothing in my post that was not true.

There is NO equal right in this country. Women are still battling to maintain their rights, which shouldn't be a damn problem. Yet it is.

As for "Equality" - so few people even understand the concept, much less know what it is.

As for the pathetic nature of government and it's handling of the Economy since the inception of America, there is nothing I said that was untrue. The government isn't approaching the Economy properly, so it can be handled much easier. It creates more BS and layers it over with more restrictions, regulations and unenforceable laws.

It's not me, who needs to wake up or get informed. It is others.

1. profile image48

I have not insulted, nor intended to insult, anyone. I merely pointed out that it is ridiculous to bemoan the "suffering" of the US economy (apparently for the entire history of our nation) when we have indisputably grown to become the most powerful, wealthy, and influential naiton the Earth has ever known.

I also pointed out how utterly ridiculous it is to claim there "is no equality in the US." Even a simple child viewing the US, the world, and history could tell at a glance how silly that statement is.

I reiterate that everyone is entitled to their OPINION, no matter how delusional. It seems to me that those who feel everyone else has much to learn from them rather than vice versa are not only slaves to self-destructive arrogance, but bound to fill their bowl with nothing but the poisoned fruit of self-deception. When the 'problem' is everyone else - the problem is really YOU.

Wealthy? 100 Trillion DEBT is wealthy? I've never heard anything more ridiculously absurd in my life. YOU are funny.
              Equality? Goes to show you lack understanding the word. So I'll leave it there. I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
              Thank you for showing everyone you are. Much appreciated. Now, I'll no longer have to use much effort.
              Self deception? You really are clueless. WOW! roll
              Really? WOW!

Let me ask you just one question- How does the Government handle the Economy? Do you know? Please tell me IF you know.

1. profile image48

Wealthy. Some people don't understand wealth, so it may be easier to understand 'by far the largest economy of any naiton in the world.'

It does indeed seem some people don't understand equality. See my previous comments about the love of doom and gloom and the dangers of unrestained, delusional egotism.

It's buying power is not wealth. lol The largest Economy in world has built a house upon the sand and you fail to see that. Ironic.
                  No ego here. It's called paying attention to the things that matter, unlike you, who likes to continue on with the "status quo" in America. Thus, all you are good for is passing along distortion and misinformation. Good for you, at least you are trying to be useful. Make yourself proud. roll

11. Hugh Williamson profile image77
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

The Repubs seem hell bent on self destruction, as shown in the latest Gov. Walker debacle.

Candidates: There are the unelectables, led by Newt and Sarah.

There are the unknowns, like Haley Barbour. Haley who?

There fringe candidates who probably couldn't carry one state - Bolton

If the economy is bust, Romney would have a good shot. But there is that Massachusetts RomneyCare law which will haunt him.

The two most viable right now seem to be Gov. "I won't run" Christie (he'll run) and waiting in the weeds is Jeb Bush.

I look for Romney or Christie but right now, Obama would be bulletproof.

My thoughts. Waddaya think?

1. profile image48

obama is anything but bulletproof. It would take a lot of mistakes for any viable candidate to lose to him in a general election, conditions being what they are today.

1. Hugh Williamson profile image77
        Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's a lot of time betw. now and the election, but Ob is anything but vulnerable in the latest Fox poll. Yeah, I know, "Fox" but the poll looks quite legit.

And if they shaded it at all, it wouldn't be for Obama, for sure.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05 … ts-evenly/

1. profile image48

Economy is a mess, foreign policy is a national shame, obamacare headed for recall, dissection, or judicial invalidation...not looking very bulletproof.

Too soon to make predictions since no one knows what will happen betw now and the election. There may be a 3rd party candidate which would change everything.

You need a Republican nominee before you can begin to predict how well their candidate will do. The election will probably be decided like most elections are - independents will swing the election, not Dems or Reps.

1. profile image48

"no one knows what will happen betw now and the election"

That's the real crux of the matter.

Any third party candidate who could really make a statistical dent would probably clinch it for obama.

I'd like Romney in a general election if he could make it through the primaries and  talk his way around Masshealth.

Agreed. I think Romney would run the strongest.

Of course, as an independent, I don't have a say.

1. profile image48

There's still time to get off that fence. You can always change back after the primaries.

2. Cagsil profile image70

Hey Short,

It might be good if you knew what you were talking about to begin with. Romney isn't on the hook for MassHealth.

MassHealth was a socialized healthcare program for the poor.

It is not the newly designed Health Connector Law that is forcing everyone to get insurance.

MassHealth was already in place before Romney ever ran for office.

1. profile image48

The 'Health Connector' is the service that puts consumers in contact with health care providers as part of the larger health coverage law. The program that Romney IS on the hook for was essentially an expansion of MassHealth with the inclusion of mandatory coverage, etc. You are splitting the wrong hair, picking the wrong nit, and parsing the wrong words.

12. Mighty Mom profile image77

Masshealth is actually Romney's strongest point!!!

1. profile image48

To whom?

2. Cagsil profile image70

Actually, Short detailed it more than I did in my post. Romney instituted the Law requirement for everyone must have insurance.

He expanded the MassHealth program, changed some rules and create the Health Connector Network of insurance companies.

He didn't actually start MassHealth.

And, it isn't his strength. It will bite him.

13. Mighty Mom profile image77

So every Republican in America is steadfastly against "Obamacare" and thus will reject a candidate who implemented a successful public healthcare plan in his state.
    Either that or they'll reject him because he's too plastic looking.
    My, my, aren't we deep thinkers???!!! lol

Hey Mighty Mom, trust me, I live in this pathetic state, where your precious must buy healthcare exists.

And it isn't pretty. You would not believe the BS attached. Not to mention, it's bankrupting the State itself. hmm

I wouldn't call it a success by any stretch of the imagination.

2. profile image48

"successful"? Hardly.

14. Mighty Mom profile image77

Used to be all the cutting-edge health care ideas started in California. We're the ones who started managed care back in the 1980s.
    So I'm quite surprised we have not managed to implement a plan like you have in Mass. What aspects of it are problemmatic, Cags?
    (and any other MA-based hubbers (LMC).

15. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

It's limited expensive care. hmm That's all that matters.

The plans and what are covered are ridiculous. My mother is part of it, because her work upped the requirement to get insurance through work from 20 hours to 30 hours. My mother is 63 years old and been working at the same place for 30 years.

When the Health care law went into effect, the business aspect increased the mandatory hour requirement to get it. That means, if anyone didn't increase their hours, then they lost coverage by the business. Thus, were instantly forced to buy insurance from somewhere, because for every month you don't have it, you get fined on your taxes the following year.

My mother has just enough insurance to cover her doctor's visits, her blood work and her prescriptions which is about $100 in copays a month. hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)