Obama Denies Blame For Gas Prices In Presser

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (48 posts)
  1. lady_love158 profile image59
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

http://biggovernment.com/chorner/2011/0 … eft-lying/

Either Obama is the most uninformed president to ever serve or he actually believes the nonsense he spews or he's a liar... I vote for the latter!

1. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah, so that's why prices in the UK are going up!
      I always thought that it was due to increasing market costs!

lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://hotair.com/archives/2011/03/11/o … us-claims/

His lies are all revealed in the above piece. His policies are hurting our economy and keeping people out of work!

The piece is full of some many contradictions that I don't know where to start.

Why not just pick the most egregious one instead of making a phony excuse.

Ok, at one point the writer says that America has plenty of oil and is therefore not dependent on foreign oil.
              He then goes on to lambaste the president for not realising that your oil is not instantly accessible, that it takes time to exploit and many of the concessions may not even bear any oil!

I don't see where he said that... what he said was figures Obama used did not include supplies where we don't allow drilling and in places where we are allowed to drill regulations make getting drills in operation take too long.

It's the way you read it.

2. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here. Or should I blame Obama for the price of petrol being set in Singapore?
        Without any American involvement we are paying over 5 a gallon.

There are several factors driving up oil prices around the world besides Obama's refusal to expand drilling... one is the printing of money dollars in particular which again is a policy imposed by Obama. Oil is traded in dollars more dollars makes existing dollars worth less hence it takes more dollars to buy a barrel of oil.

2. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Well it sure is a good thing we have all these new TP senators and congresspeople, isn't it?
    They are our saviors! They will put our people back to work!!
    Ha ha ha ha ha

Finally you recognize your saviours!

3. Mighty Mom profile image78

I will recognize them when the jobs materialize.
    Do you happen to have an inside scoop on when that might happen?

Things wont really improve much until we get rid of the dems in the senate and send Obama packing... give us 3 months after that.

4. Doug Hughes profile image61
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

There is such a contradiction in this post.

Is LaLo under the impression that government sets gas prices?

Or is LaLo suggesting that the government should set gas prices?

Or is our prolific poster taking yet another cheap shot at President Obama?,

No No, gas prices are set only by the President!

1. Doug Hughes profile image61
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If Obama did interfere with the market and set prices, do you think LaLo will vote for Obama in 2012?

lol

5. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Oh give me a break! This is ALL the Repubs fault! They kiss OPEC's a$$ and the oil companies!

Ed Markey says they have land they can drill on here...but they don't want to.
    He says rather than give them subsidies--which 100% of Repubs voted yes--they should be FINED for not drilling here, at home.
    He also said that last Congress he and Waxman had a big alternative energy plan all set to go, but it was blocked by Senate Republicans. Wind, solar, etc.
    Of course, Koch has been blocking the wind farm here in Mass for 10 years--of COURSE he owns the Repubs in Congress!! He funds the TP.
    And Obama is big on alternatives..that is part of what he ran on.
    But--it will go nowhere as long as the Koch bro's/OPEC, etc. hold court in the US gvt.

Don't blame Obama---blame the Republican party.

6. lovemychris profile image76

"Things wont really improve much until we get rid of the dems in the senate and send Obama packing... give us 3 months after that."

I think this answers the question why Lady_Love posts so much.
    Same reason they want to bust the unions.
    Same reason they filibustered Obama so much, he had to run this country with his hands tied behind his back.

They are not about Democracy, it is TP rule or nothing.

7. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

"Don't blame Obama---blame the Republican party." I don't blame Obama. I don't think he has much to do with anything accept to BS to masses. Don't look like to me they have any plans to allow any alternatives accept fool me nice. They have too much money invested in oil.

8. Mighty Mom profile image78

I saw an awesome show the other night about Denmark's wind farms. It really blew me away (no pun intended)!
    With this discussion now including alternative energy sources, I thought I'd drop it into the conversation.
    Denmark gets it. They get it right. What the HELL is wrong with America???

See excerpt about HOW Denmark claimed their dominance and/or read the whole article.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … 46,00.html

But technology, like the wind itself, is just one more part of the reason for Denmark's dominance. In the end, it happened because Denmark had the political and public will to decide that it wanted to be a leader ā€” and to follow through. Beginning in 1979, the government began a determined program of subsidies and loan guarantees to build up its nascent wind industry. Copenhagen covered 30% of investment costs, and guaranteed loans for large turbine exporters such as Vestas. It also mandated that utilities purchase wind energy at a preferential price ā€” thus guaranteeing investors a customer base. Energy taxes were channeled into research centers, where engineers crafted designs that would eventually produce cutting-edge giants like Vestas' 3-megawatt (MW) V90 turbine. (Read TIME's "Heroes of the Environment 2008.)

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic … z1GLLYVQuk

1. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Renewable energy was what really excited me about Obama!!
      It is SO overdue.
      And I could scream that the a-holes blocked everything leading in that direction.......a-holes! Serving big oil...period.
      "Who killed the electric car"--that movie says it all.
      I get the sense that in Europe, the people in gvt really care about their citizens. Here-way too many of our gvt employee's only care about their bank accounts.

It is a tragedy to me what happened here with the psy-ops gang.
      We had a real chance to be a leader in the renewable energy industry.
      Instead, we are stuck with rising prices--for nothing! I wouldn't mind paying more for wind, or solar...I would do it gladly!!--but instead we have the continued polluting of the Earth, water, air and atmosphere, all to benefit Koch and Exxon Mobil, and those public servants who make it happen for them. And our prices will sky-rocket for more of the same.
      It is a tragedy.

Although---I do see a growing renewable industry sprouting up on its own....underground, but growing.
      And I loved the fact that Michelle Obama planted a garden at the WH, and the idea of growing gardens on building-tops--in New York City!

Everything positive always gets squashed by the psy-op gang. May they burn in pollution-hell, amen.

9. John Holden profile image61
    John Holdenposted 13 years ago

The problem we have in the UK is that renewables = wind.
    We have wind farms springing up in all the most unlikely and unsuitable places, almost as if the industry was courting bad press!

We are a small island, nowhere is more than  about 70 miles from the sea!
    The sea is constantly moving, even on the stillest, quietest day.
    How do we utilise this constant source of energy?
    We build wind farms in it!

10. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

http://i54.tinypic.com/b51phx.gif

Just sayin'

ā€œLast yearā€¦our oil production reached its highest level in 7 years.ā€ This is pure spin. President Obama is deliberately trying to take credit for actions unrelated to his policies. The increased level of production is due to the actions of previous administrations and production in the Dakotas where most drilling is occurring on private land. By contrast, the Energy Information Administration projects that there will be a decline in production of 220,000 barrels of domestic oil per day in 2011, and in 2012 America will produce 150 million fewer barrels in the Gulf of Mexico, all because of President Obamaā€™s policies to discourage or ban domestic drilling. In addition, President Obamaā€™s drilling moratorium (and subsequent refusal to issue drilling permits) has forced at least 7 rigs to leave the Gulf and sign contracts in other countries, taking much needed jobs and revenue with them. Remember when Presidents held press conferences to clarify issues? "
      Oil prices are set in the futures pit not in what's happened in the past. Prices are rising because speculators are betting the supplies will be lower and no doubt they will be...   in part because of Obama's policies....

1. Doug Hughes profile image61
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

SPIN???? Spin??? You call the chart SPIN??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you read, LaLo?  For eight years under Bush, domestic production fell steadily. The turnaround coincides EXACTLY with Obama's arrival  in DC.

Where were the Bush policies for eight years? I know LaLo can't see past her hate of President Obama, but if you aren't completely blind, read the chart! (Kudos to kerryg for posting facts, a trick LaLo hasn't learned.)

Back when Bush was pres, Pelosi held a protest with the other Democrats....when Bush was trying to drill in the waters, or something--can't remember, but Pelosi and the rest had a big banner stating: "Give up the Land Mr. President" (paraphrase)

Bush (or somebody)--Congress?? was BLOCKING the use of land for drilling here, that had ALREADY been given to the oil companies.

Markey said the same thing the other day....he said instead of giving them billions in subsidies, companies should be fined for not drilling here.

I don't know what's going on, but it's clear that the oil companies are into shenanigans.

2. lady_love158 profile image59

And you haven't learned to READ! User Obama since before the gulf oil spill when there were 55 rigs operating in the gulf there are now 25! The interior finally issued the permit for one rig that had been approved prior to the spill. Every where you look this administration is blocking new drilling and new mining operations!
          As I said oil prices are set in the futures pit!

"Every where you look this administration is blocking new drilling and new mining operations!"--

I thought they just got a new one in the Gulf??...owned by BP, no less!

But, Senator Obama RAN on Green energy....his platform is alternatives.
            It's one of the reasons I voted for him. So--I'm GLAD President Obama is doing this.Especially mining.Do you have any idea how damaging that is?
            And any and all jobs lost to that industry can be converted to the new Green and Clean Industry.
            It won't happen overnight....but-
            It's not brain surgery, and it's NOT radical. It's common sense and about time.
            The United States military sure thinks so.

Only problem is the HUGE profit-making and domineering of those oil conglomerates,and those they pay in Congress (tea-party*cough*).

Green jobs? Look how that's worked out in Spain. But you're right Obama ran on that and even said energy prices would gave to sky rocket... in other words that's his policy that's what he wants and for the left to deny this for Obama to deny this is simply lying! Oh and when and if green energy comes it will be at a profit for someone and the money to support it will come from you and me and the government not the market will decide what's best!

1. kerryg profile image83
                kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, you really believe that oil prices are so low because of the market? The US government gives tens of billions of dollars in taxpayer-funded subsidies every year to oil companies. Many argue that the true figure is hundreds of billions of dollars, given that most infrastructure and agricultural spending for the last 70 years has benefited oil companies directly or indirectly. Why is that okay, but subsidies to green energy companies are somehow horrible government interference?

1. profile image0
                  PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Perception, my dear.

I watched about an hour of Fox News this morning and it's fascinating to watch the spin they are putting on the nuclear reactor failures in Japan. 

LaLo has been exposed to the spin that "subsidies are bad" but only with regard to industries that run counter to the entrenched power industries such as oil and agriculture.  Those subsidies are never mentioned by the conservative media when decrying taxpayer funds bolstering private industry.

You need the double speak of the right in the UK who subsidise state run enterprises but invest in privately owned business!

So inste that saidad of addressing the issue that Obama's policies are causing oil prices to rise you attack me for a position I don't even hold on subsidies? Of course its better if the government stays out of the market all together that said cheaper oil is better for Americans and the American economy especially now when its still fragile.

Cheaper energy is better for Americans. It's a pretty key difference.

Given that the price of oil is going to rise and keep on rising as more and more of the easy-to-get-to oil disappears, I regard Obama's increased investment in green energy (which is still just a small percentage of the money we continue to fork over to oil companies) as a very wise and prudent investment in the future. If we don't invest in renewables now, when the price of oil is still relatively cheap and our economy still relatively flexible and resilient, it will cost much more to develop in the future and we could end up with a crisis that makes the Great Depression look like an minor accounting mistake.

http://www.futurescenarios.org/content/view/31/51/

2. CHRIS57 profile image61
                CHRIS57posted 13 years agoin reply to this

LaLo, worked myself through this forum thread. What are you up to? Blame Obama for nights getting longer during winter time? Blame Obama for not taxing gasoline?
                Your posts and article links are full of wrongs and contradictions. You must be a Rep with a masterplan to mislead the Dems of how clueless Reps are?

Sorry, but with due respect, i canĀ“t take this serious. It is fun laughing tough.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image58
                  Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are making the absurd claim that long winter nights are not Obama's fault?  Do you have a source for this or do you just make stuff up?  mad

1. wavegirl22 profile image49
                    wavegirl22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

He makes it up  . .now can you put your helmut back on?

Obviously you can't rake it seriously if you could you might actually pointed out a wrong in one of the sources I posted perhaps even supplied a slice to support your view... ah but you didn't you just made a general statement and attacked me... but that is how the left defends their foolish views... nothing new.

11. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

Actually (and you CAN Google this) we reached peak oil in 2004, meaning yes they can still pump oil, but have to drill deeper which costs them more so we get to pay more.  Not a big mystery as some would think.

12. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

As sure s night follows day the Republicans will not be able to reduce oil prices

13. BillyDRitchie profile image60
    BillyDRitchieposted 13 years ago

I'm wondering why nobody gets the logic that says even if we were able to produce a car that runs on water and gets 200 mpg, we still have millions of combustion engines on our roads that are going to have to be fueled for another two or three decades, which means the demand for oil is not going away any time soon.  It isn't an overnight switcheroo.

Mr. President, your words about alternative fuels are good ones, but the first step in reducing our dependence on foreign oil is to drill here at home until such a solution can be perfected and marketed.

Or does that make too much sense?

That makes perfect sense! That is the role of government to make sure we can tap our natural resources safely. Doing so enhances our liberty by relying less on foreign sources and by generating prosperity here at home.

2. kerryg profile image83

Balance is the key. If we throw all our focus onto keeping oil costs low with domestic production, we'll achieve very little because we simply don't have enough easily recoverable oil to lower prices significantly, let alone become energy independent. If, for example, we opened up the entire Federal Outer Continental Shelf to offshore drilling today, it would just barely be coming online in 2020 and would reduce prices in 2030 by about 3 cents per gallon.

Our biggest oil reserves are in shale oil, which has an average EROEI of about 3 (compared to 15 for crude oil), making it less efficient than some renewables.

At the same time, throwing all our political will and taxpayer money into opening up ever more inefficient and environmentally destructive oil fields will delay investment in alternatives such as solar, wind, and geothermal, for which we have genuinely outstanding resources, and lead to increasingly more serious damage to our economy as the price of oil continues to rise. Now is the time to invest in renewables, not 20 years from now when we have a crisis on our hands.

14. lovemychris profile image76

Or when Carter suggested it in the 70's, and Reagan took the solar panels OFF the white house!!
    "We pledge allegiance to OPEC".

That goes without saying. Reagan was an idiot. roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)