Christian Sunday School Bible Study

Jump to Last Post 51-60 of 60 discussions (142 posts)
  1. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 13 years ago

I fear the too many people that are spirtually dead for the bible said something to the effect you honor me with your lips but you're filled with dead men bones.

1. profile image0
      just_curiousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I think that's good. If I understand you correctly. That sounds as if he was speaking to those within the faith who were lost, not condemning the nonbelievers. I don't suppose you remember where that scripture might be? I don't remember it and would like to read it for better understanding.

SpanStarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're correct  about how the passage went.  I don't know the passage but I'll leave now and see if I can find it and come back if I find it and post here.

2. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

Hey, that's ok.I have a concordance.I can find it easily.

3. SpanStar profile image61

Ok Just_Curious,

Here's what I found:

Matthew 23:27
    Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suggest that Ya read that whole chapter, while remembering it is the prelude to the next chapter;   

which we all know all too well ,   and yet seem to mis the point of issue.

2. profile image0

Sounds dangerously like many religious leaders today.

4. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

SpanStar wrote:
    Ok Just_Curious,

Here's what I found:

Matthew 23:27
    Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness
    = = = = = = 
    Jerami wrote ...
    I suggest that Ya read that whole chapter, while remembering it is the prelude to the next chapter;   

which we all know all too well ,   and yet seem to mis the point of issue.
    ==================================

When we clear our mind of preconceived ideas  and read Matthew 23 and 24 as if it were one chapter  and pay attention to those things that Jesus said that the Pharasees were going to do (C. 23)and those things that he said was going to happen to his disciples. (C.24) 

24:34  Whereore I send unto you prophets and wisemen and scribes and some of them ye shall kill and crucify, and some of them ye shall scourge in your synogues and persicute rom city to city.
      24:9  Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted ...

True indeed for these things did happen and as God said the world hated him so those that take up their cross and follow him they will be hated to.

This always looses everyones attentin when I say this ...

Everything that is mentioned in Matthew 23 and 24 DID happen exactly as Jesus said that it would.

How much worse could it ever get for a believer in Jesus Christ than it did in the first century?

They were hunting them down, and doing all kinds of things to them including impeling them, covering them with pitch and burning them as barden lights ( or Christ sakes)

"THEY"   lived through a tribulation such as would never be again.
           This I think is the most misunderstood part of the bible.

OK    Maybe we should change the subject

5. SpanStar profile image61

You're right Jerima,

It would seem though that the truth in this world is the most dangerous thing to express.

Well feel free to address what ever topic you like.

6. Jerami profile image58

SpanStar wrote
      It would seem though that the truth in this world is the most dangerous thing to express.

- = - = - = -
      We could discuss why that is.

Why do we tell ourselves that we know the truth and there is no need to understand it more than we already do?
      Why do we only want to build upon that which we already know.

Think of it as a one room house out on the prarie.
    We want to keep building it, We want it to be a mansion!
    but we want it to always be a one room mansion..

Jerami,

Interesting view towards truth.  I believe the single most important factor with respect to truth and a word called Control.

Sadly people want to be in control and I guess we cab go back as far as Adam & Eve.  The truth will not allow us to stay in control because lies and selfishness are enemies to the truth.

If we say someone is not a reliable or responsible person knowing full well it isn't true one may not like it but it's no big deal on the other hand if we know someone is a thief and we say they're thief we can expect a violent reaction.

The truth is what Jesus up on the cross.  To tell the church leaders they are hipocrities is a truth they were not going to stand for.

I believe today because we have become so much for educationed then those in the past we not believe the truth is based on our perception of things.  We create a production graph and depending how we look at the graph that determines the truth.

So, so many things come to mind when reading your lst post.

Evrything you said is true.
          Do you believe that the priesthood has improved that much sense that fateful day almost 2000 years go.
          Even then, they didn't realize how hypocritical they really was.

And today few people realize how much of our foundationl beliefs are still being afected by those founding fathers, who were affected by those pharisees standing in the shadows while Jesus died upon the cross.

7. SpanStar profile image61

Jerami,

Thank you for your confirmation.

You know I believe the priesthood understands the bible better then it has ever been understood by men but I believe our faith and I mean  lot of people's faith is very weak and I include myself in that because these people in the past understood the bible less but they were will to go to death over it.  We as believers are controlled by the state, special interest groups and so it's hard to tell the church today from the rest of the world.  We can't celebrate Christ in public unless it's on private property.  Yet we can preach to the world that the bible tells us we are all sinners and on our way to hell, but tell tell people today hell is all man's destination and they'll be on the floor laughing uncontrollably or we are just dismissed completely.

the priesthood can preach but who's really listening and is the priesthood setting the sample kind of examples as did Jesus?

Again there are so many things come to mind.

And it is past my bed time.  I will say in closing for the night that Religion seems to be much more shallow than a faith in God diserves.

On the bright side;  This also was part of the over all plan.
        And we will all understand it ...soon.

1. profile image0

what do you mean when you say part of the overall plan?

2. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or, in many cases, offended by the lack of respect from those who preach. smile

8. SpanStar profile image61

This is true.

What was predicted does seem to be coming true.

Rest Well

1. profile image0

Hi Spanstar. I got your email, replied and then deleted it before I realized it failed. I don't know anything about Jerami. Hopefully, he's on vacation, or sabbatical from this crazy place. I hope he's alright.

Thanks for your concern.

A mighty breeze has blown through my life.   
          But; all is  as  well as it is supposed to be; ..  I think?

I will call it an unintentional sabbatical. (from this crazy place)   Funny you said that. 

I think it was needed. 

Will have to be focusing on other things; not as much time to spend on here but will be checking in as often as possible.

9. SpanStar profile image61

Thank you Just_Curous for your help and welcome back Jerami.

10. Jerami profile image58

Does anyone know when the first mention of a "Rapture" is mentioned?

And when was it supposed to happen acording to that chapter and verse?

I am aware of Daniel 12:1

Is that the only time the "Rapture" is mentioned in the old testament.

Thanks Spamstar  didn't see this earlier.

Life has been busy
       Don't seem to have much time for computer lately.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)