Amazon Ad and News Capsule Killing Spree

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (25 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Well, folks. For those who missed it, here it is:

"Yes.  We ran several tests and Hubs that used Amazon were the most likely to see a decrease in traffic, followed by the news capsule."  --Paul Edmondson
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/70082#post1526822
    I, for one, will be busy today. smile

1. profile image58
      rieomposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just went and moved my capsule around but I have three items of Amazon on each hub.  I also have about six items on another hub.   From what I understand from reading this thread, that perhaps I need to clear out more items?

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I'm right there with you, I've decreased my number of capsules - both ebay and Amazon - AND most of them only have 1 product. (ps. I haven't really gotten to my Nelle hubs yet, so don't bother looking at them, but the other mini-Nelles have been given dramatic remakes.)

Now more anti-inflamatories for my arthritic wrists - eyedrops for my tired eyes and I'm off to hack off more capsules and products.

3. leahlefler profile image96
    leahleflerposted 13 years ago

I appreciate the recap - I somehow missed the information on the news capsules. I have several of those, so it is time to hack them from the articles!

4. KeithTax profile image73
    KeithTaxposted 13 years ago

At least we no longer need to worry about losing our Amazon affiliates due to state sales tax laws. The real point everyone needs to consider is blogs and personal websites. High quality websites like Lifehacker and Zen Habits are doing fine. HP is one cog in the wheel, not the entire wheel. You can pick up web hosting for a small fee and if you self host, servers with small business software, etc run under $10,000 professionally installed. I swapped out my office server for under three grand in the last 10 days with another three grand for professional install, set-up, and professional software. This is a business, folks, if you attempt to make money. Every business has its challenges.

5. toknowinfo profile image71
    toknowinfoposted 13 years ago

I know that HP wants the Amazon ads to be in proportion to number of words in our hubs. But are you saying that any Amazon ads will decrease our traffic?

paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You will have to take that up with Mr. Edmondson.
      My Amazon ads don’t result in sales; so for me, getting rid of the critters is the smart thing to do.

6. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

@Nelle:  Please let us know how your alternate-personality accounts change in the SERPS/views as Google sees your updates.  This will be fascinating!

7. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 13 years ago

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... I just checked....edited 639 hubs last night and didn't know about that...
    Here we go again.  :::cries:::

1. profile image0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There should be one place where this information is posted by HP staff. Some comes out in the blog others in topics.

It was the blog that suggested 1 product per keyword search in a capsule - which is different from 1 product for every 50 words.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  I haven't a clue what to do, what not to do.

However the main culprit is Google.  They changed the rules, and didn't say what the rules were.

I don't mean about link cheating - I mean "what is quality content".

Taking an Amazon advert off, or removing a news feed doesn't seem to add much to the idea of quality to me.

It's all a bit random.

1. wilderness profile image93
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hasn't google long said that they were going after copied material?

News capsules always contain a bit of copied stuff from the news, and Amazon capsules generally do the same.  Perhaps google is picking these things up as "copied" and dinging us as a result.  At least that's the way I read it.

8. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

There are a couple of my hubs that are not aimed at selling on Amazon that have sold items consistently. One is a book review and the other is about Fred Astaire. I will probably remove some from my other hubs. I think I'll keep Amazon on the entertainment hubs, they seem to get sales.

9. paradigmsearch profile image60

Plowing along…

Those news capsules that I had previously added just for the sake of ongoing fresh content were easy to delete. However, in some cases the capsules are providing real value to the reader. Deletions of those were making me cringe. So I’ve settled for reducing the number of entries to just two and removing the word “news”.

10. kerryg profile image84
    kerrygposted 13 years ago

Does anybody know if RSS capsules are affected, or just News? I hardly ever use News capsules, but I have a lot of RSS, most displaying tag feeds from here on HubPages.

11. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Suggestion to HP staff: would it be possible to create a "delete all news capsules in hubs on this account" button, to go on one's My Account page?

I don't exactly relish the thought of individually deleting news capsules for 150 hubs - so I can imagine how the people with 500 or more hubs must feel!

12. WoodsmensPost profile image63
    WoodsmensPostposted 13 years ago

OMG , I have been in the process of deleting all the summary text in the link capsules and only keeping the link. Google sees this as duplicate also. Now the NEWS capsules too .....alls I can say is OMG so that means RSS and Link capsules are bunk too just delete delete and watch the $ 00.00 what a fun time .

13. Edweirdo profile image84
    Edweirdoposted 13 years ago

Perhaps we should not be going off half-cocked and following "tips" that are based purely on speculation!

No one (including HP staff) knows for sure what is and is not relevant in the new Google algo, so isn't it a bit hasty to make wholesale changes to all of our hubs based on what little info we have?

I, for one, have seen a disastrous drop in traffic, and more so in Adsense - today I have made $0.00. I haven't seen a number like that since the first week I joined HubPages.

I have given up on adding anything new here, and the few changes I have made were to a handful of existing hubs to see if those changes make a difference before I go through and edit all of them.

Granted I only have about 100 hubs, but it seems like a huge waste of time and energy to make changes that may actually end up hurting more than helping in the long run (or that may be totally irrelevant once the dust settles).

Everything is in such chaos right now - between the algo change, the new Ad program, the change in ad layouts and the new content rules, I feel like I'm trying to rake leaves during a tornado! I think I'll wait until the wind dies down and then look towards cleaning up the mess...

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree that we shouldn't follow speculation. If HP knew the cause and the remedy, they would have told us. And so one day when they do, then the whole process may have to be done in reverse.

Same here.

14. Sally's Trove profile image79
    Sally's Troveposted 13 years ago

This is crazy.

For as long as I've been writing on HP, it's been suggested that news capsules are good for a Hub because they constantly change the Hub's contents (Google likes/liked content change/updates).

RSS capsules were suggested as good because they can do the same, or if they are RSS capsules linking internally to HP, then there is value in that internal linking.

As for Amazon capsules being some kind of scraped content, then this sounds the death knell for any affiliate program where content from the the selling site is reproduced elsewhere. (What about eBay capsules?)

I get the sense that there's some grasping at straws, and I'm not making any major changes, despite the fact that ALL google traffic to my Hubs has hit rock bottom.

However, I have taken this opportunity to go through all my Hubs that use news and Amazon capsules to re-evaluate whether they are adding value to a Hub.

In some cases, they aren't. At the time I published a Hub (as long as three years ago), those capsules enhanced the Hub. But as time has gone by, some Amazon products disappeared, or news RSS search terms stopped returning appropriate news items.

I have a small number of Hubs, and I have a headache with this. My heart goes out to those of you who are trying to bring your hundreds of Hubs into line with HP suggestions.

15. mcbean profile image67
    mcbeanposted 13 years ago

I have always subscribed to the minimalist theory of amazon capsule placement.
    I have a single product per capsule and a matching text block specific to that product. I just checked a handful of mine and they seem to average 75 - 100 words per product. I did this because it is what worked for me in terms of conversion. For once I am glad I don't have to go through all of them and make changes.
    I know some have had great success with large numbers of amazon product listed but my usual hub has only three products and it works for me.
    Hopefully some people will notice a positive change after editing their hubs.

16. paradigmsearch profile image60

I tend to agree with all the posts here. Mr. Edmondson made his conclusions after running tests. So since my Amazon ads were making zero sales anyway, they are out of here! smile As to the news capsules I am deleting or shortening them on a case-by-case basis; quality (not algo) being the controlling factor; I don't see me having to go back no matter what the next google popcorn surprise is. Also, I’ve already discovered one news capsule that I’m sure was a major leak for me.

paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Follow-up! Sure enough! I’ve gotten a click on that formerly clickless hub that had that news capsule.

Plus, I’m becoming more convinced that Google has the same opinion of 8 news links as they do of 8 amazon links; whatever that opinion is…smile

17. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Some of my hubs get their traffic from other search engines more than Google, how do I know that if I tweak them to suit the new 'criteria' and I will not lose the traffic from the other search engines?

I do n't expect an exact answer to that really, it is just a question I am asking myself.

I feel sorry for anyone with lots of Amazon based Hubs, after reading the posts of the last few days. People are still going to Amazon from my hubs but no sales, so it seems a waste of time.

My traffic and Adsense is now erratic more often than not, well for  the last couple of weeks, not sure it is just the Google changes.

I have always tried to make my pages look attractive, but they were planned around the old style ads. layout. Chrome has a feature where you can look at a 'thumbnail version of the page' before visiting it. I have always thought that therefore the appearance of a page could either encourage a visit or deter it.

18. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Google knows what an RSS feed is, and the train of thought that they can be used as 'automatic fresh content' is a stale theory from the dawn of RSS.  I rarely use them, RSS is for my readers, not my sites.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)