The Ability to "Give" Articles

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (37 posts)
  1. GeneriqueMedia profile image59
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Hey all,

I have an idea..I'm not sure how relevant or useful it would be to most people, but what if somehow we are given the ability to allow another hubber to take responsibility and ownership of another hubber's article?

The reason I ask this is that I've asked several people to pitch me ideas for a Hub in my personal life. I tell them that I think they can do this stuff, too, but if they just want to see how it works and how well its successful on my end I'd be happy to write one with them and put it on my account.

I promise, then, that if I do make a profit off of their article I'll be able to figure out how much that one page had made me and I would be more than willing to split it 50/50.

I know, sounds like WAAAY too much effort and all that jazz. But do you think its a sound idea?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you want to make web pages and be able to sell them, you'll do better over at Squidoo, where that's possible.

GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the suggestions you two.

I understand where you're coming from...my intent, here, however is to grow the HubPages community in an effort to legitimize it.

Maybe, though, this is a perverse way of going about it.

G|M

1. SweetiePie profile image81
          SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Whatever you and other hubbers decide to do about buying and selling articles is your business, but I disagree with your point about how your effort will legitimize Hubpages.  There are many legitimate and great writers on this website, and they do not necessarily have to sell hubs to reach that status.  Some were even published authors and journalists before joining Hubpages, and that is about as legitimate as a writer can get.

Thanks again for your responses.

I mean no harm here. Ask yourselves though...ever heard of HubPages on television, or the radio? Has it made such an impact that its spoken by news reporters?

My point is..its not yet a cultural icon. You can watch the news and hear things going on MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

My aim is to only help improve, become a productive member of this community. Sorry to cause any upset if I have.

G|M

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
              Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hey man, I like the way you're thinking and we could always stand to benefit by becoming more well known to the general public. I agree with SweetiePie and think that there are already a lot of really great writers contributing to the HubPages community, but I would love to have even more join the fun.

Selling Hubs could be a little tricky to figure out, but I always thought that it would be pretty sweet to be able to have multiple Hubbers contribute and publish one Hub together, which each of the contributors splitting the earned revenue. This would allow Hubbers to contribute what they do the best (research, adding videos/images, promote), while still being able to earn from it.

I would think that it would be pretty fun, too? What do all of you think?

1. Shirley Anderson profile image72
                Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I love the idea of a joint effort (rather than anyone being able to edit), I think that would be incredibly interesting.  How on earth would you orchestrate it and have it come out cohesively?  You probably have an idea, don't you, Hup?

2. GeneriqueMedia profile image59

Well, here's how I'm looking at it: I'm providing people with my time and my knowledge of HubPages. I have an appointment in a few days to sit down with someone and try to teach them to use this, and show them how to do it. I don't think, though, in all honesty, the guy is going to call me. He's a bit flakie.

I want to thank sunstreeks for her 1099 input, too. wink

But my point here, is I'm not trying to "sell" a Hub. I'm trying to create a real-life foundation with people I think could help this site out with their talent and skill and I'm trying to make it easiest on them to understand how to do it. If they don't think it can be done, I offer to help them write an article under my account and show them periodically how the "score" and "traffic" is growing.

Just think of it...as one big giant Linux installfest. For HubPages.

Sincerely,

G|M

3. profile image0
                pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That could be very cool.

One thing I've wished (from time to time) is for the ability to set up 'communities' within the HP community at large. For instance, I know a handful of us write professionally for the internet at other sites and others write for print media, and from time to time people have expressed an interest in having a place to share tips and knowledge related to all that.

Right now each separate person can write about writing under their own name, but it would be cool to have a 'writing' shared hub, or a 'real estate' one, or whatever, so that different people could share their expertise without one person having to take all the responsibility for the effort. (Plus, members could share the revenue.) I think some shared series of hubs along a theme could generate substantial traffic.

I could be wrong though. big_smile

I'm wrong a LOT! lol!

Ah hah, thats another great idea! The trick is, though, getting all this meta information into a good context. We can split and divide HubPage hairs all day, but if it grows too complex its only going to do harm.

G|M

1. profile image0

I don't think it would be anymore complex than a forum is. You post a theme, people join (or not), and then write (or not).

Gather.com does something like this and it works out pretty well, but I don't like it as well over there.

All my buddies are here. smile

2. Shirley Anderson profile image72

I don't think anybody was upset, no worries!  smile

1. AEvans profile image71
                AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Generique,
                You are on to a great idea , it will only take some time to come up with a well prepared plan. smile

2. sunstreeks profile image81
    sunstreeksposted 15 years ago

Just remember that even if your splitting the earnings 50/50 with someone, on a 1099 its gonna show that you are responsible for paying taxes on the whole amount..

The ability to "give" hubs would be the start of "selling" hubs.

3. GeneriqueMedia profile image59

Ah, and so my comment isn't misconstrued..

I'm not implying HubPages isn't "legitimate" now. However, I'm pouring over all the articles and hubbers I can and try to leave good, relevant, useful feedback.

Wikipedia allows ANYONE to edit an article and improve it. With us, we're a group of writers, who depend on each other to help improve our work. We're only as weak as our worst content.

I'd like to see this site become a useful, fun, and entertaining web portal.

So..there ya have it.

G|M

1. sunstreeks profile image81
      sunstreeksposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It's not already?

1. Shirley Anderson profile image72

Get outta my head Sunstreeks, that was my first thought, too.  smile

Sorry, GM but it was.

4. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

Hubpages has been recognized by several online news articles as an up and coming website.  It may not have the name of wikipedia as of yet, but the major flaw with that site is it can be and is edited willy nilly, whereas many good writers can share their craft here on Hubpages.  I think Hubpages doing a very good promoting itself though in my opinion.

I highly agree sweetiepie. And I know its been recognized online. But again, not in the daily context of all-(country name here) lingo.

I'm not trying to state that HubPages is deficient at all, and like you pointed out, Wikipedia has had trouble proving its reliability because of being able to edit "willy nilly." This is WHY I like HubPages more. I can engage people, hopefully help them, and in turn at times those I help help me.

I love HubPages, I thank the founders and team that keeps it running, and I just want to be here to help it grow.

Sincerely,

G|M

5. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 15 years ago

I think it could work as even if we're not in the same country, we have theinternet and email and can work together over that.

(Thanks for your nice input AE!)

cindy,

You are oh so correct. If a bunch of people across the globe could create Linux, firefox, apache, and so many other things we use every day....ultimately, we have the ability to contact each other no matter where we are.

We just need, as AE [and Shirley, Hup] has pointed out, to lay a foundation for this sort of thing.

And I've nowhere to start, but I'm sure someone here does. wink

Sincerely,

G|M

1. profile image0

Yeah, I just think it would be so helpful to have a pool of people to ask for advice in specific areas. Probably there are websites like that and I just don't know about them.

For example, I recently learned that I am grotesquely undercharging for my web content (the stuff I write for others). But I don't really know if I'm undercharging and could get more, or if I'm undercharging because if I don't I won't get work at all. It would nice to get a sense of what the going rate is, how other people approach writing for $$$$ and so forth.

The internet is very community-oriented in some ways, but in other ways it is kind of isolating.

Isolating, I think, from information overload. Or the perception there of. If we all work to communicate with each other, be on the look out for things that will benefit someone (even if it doesn't outright benefit us!) we can learn to connect each other in a relevant way to the right people.

Not that I'm saying thats easy. But I'm learning to organize those I've come in contact with here in my G-Mail address book to try and achieve this.

G|M

2. Shirley Anderson profile image72

If you typically get the sum you mentioned in one of your hubs, you are grossly undercharging.  You are an excellent writer Pam, you deserve a decent return on your time and talent.

6. GeneriqueMedia profile image59

Ah, and while I'm at it. (Sorry everyone, I know I post a lot..)

Here's an idea: Hubber Project Groups.

You can add a bunch of members to a group, and (if possible?) then allow them to edit certain content. We could apply bans, or what not, to deter from one rogue member defacing the content or purpose of the Project.

Its easy to make a group project Hub. Like...I dunno, HubNuggets? wink

G|M

7. GeneriqueMedia profile image59

Ah, and I just realized I basically said what pgrundy said.

Meant no harm, I was just swimming with the flow of my thoughts. I could care less if anyone ever takes any persons idea...in my mind, its the solution that works the best (and not always the first) that is the one we should pay attention to.

Many people were trying to invent the light bulb but Edison was the first to pull it off. The same thing can be equally well said by the telephone.

My point is...if we continually try to go "no! its my idea!" than we're not allowing each other as a community to work in a happy fashion.

So congrats to pgrundy, and thanks for getting me onto that track.

Sincerely,

G|M

8. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

We seem to be talking about two different things.  The first one - setting up a Hub for someone so they can see how it works - would be easy.

You can have more than one account on HubPages, so all you need to do is set up a new account for that person, create the Hub (either in collaboration or on their behalf), and use your own Adsense and affiliate ID's on the account. If they decide to take it over later, they could simply change the ID's to their own. 

The idea of a collaborative Hub sounds interesting but would surely be a big departure from what HubPages currently is.  And I can imagine it would be a nightmare trying to "split" Adsense earnings between the collaborators.

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I dont see why it would be a nightmare..the current system seems kind of complex...60% to writer 40% to hubs.UNLESS that writer was directly referred than 10% to that referrer and 30% to hubs, unless that viewer came to hub in question from a URL tracker than its 9% or 12% etc.

The people who program these type of algorithms/adservers could easily come up with a formula that split impressions proportionally among contributors..it just seems hard for us writer types

There would have to be a content review or partnership arrangement or we would just have a bunch of opportunists trying to piggyback on successful collabohubs

9. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

I think the earnings part would indeed be a nightmare. I was just kind of responding to Ryan's thoughts and I suppose I drifted off.

big_smile

Thanks for those points, Marisa.

And I'm with pgrundy...just going with the flow of thoughts, as I said earlier.

By making a thread for every "idea," I think we're limiting ourselves. I'm only following the progression of this idea.

And I agree, with both of you, it would be hard as all get out to split revenue...but the Rolling Stones got it figured out, why can't we? smile

G|M

10. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

Good point. It IS an info overload. I don't spend nearly enough time organizing my address book and staying in contact with people who know stuff. That's good advice. Thanks.

Don't mention it, glad I could help. smile

This is why I've written several e-mails to different people through HubPages, then opening up a friendly discussion and keeping their e-mail addresses. Hup jumped in, and Shirley knows he's a good person to ask for these types of ideas.

If we took the time, where needed and relevant, to direct people towards different threads and Hubs, etc., we are only strengthening our community. I think, anyway. I could be wrong.

Sincerely,

G|M

11. GeneriqueMedia profile image59

Yep, agreed sunforged!

Or maybe we could just donate it to the HubPages slush fund or something. I think you're onto something, though.

G|M

12. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

GM, if the objective of this is purely to share information and tips between us writers, then we have forums to do that - why do we need these complicated Hubs you're suggesting?

Because its far different than getting someone to join this community. In many of my hubs, which many around me have seen, I've openly invited people to join and I told them not only would I help them, there's also an awesome community here to as well.

I'm merely trying to connect with real people I personally know and assist them into joining us, if I think they have a shot at helping our community by creating good content.

I could be wrong on some of these people, sure.

But if I write an article with someone, show them it can be done, and they come back to me later saying "Hey, I took your advice and joined.."

I think it may be useful to be able to give another Hubber a Hub that they largely were instrumental in creating. I can write words, paste things together, etc. But their ideas, their drive to get me to their house and show them how to do it...ultimately, that is what created the Hub..not me.

Sincerely,

G|M

2. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not really complicated:

Sell a hub - Squidoo has the option already- if it brings exposure, more writers, more readers etc. why not?

Group hub - first off was suggested, by Ryan Hupfer not GMedia.. and seconded by many,a forum is primarily of interest to hubmembers,a collabohub could be a meeting of the minds and be of interest to all of the internet, but a proverbial carrot on a stick will make most of the minds more likely to participate

Thanks for pointing this stuff out. And I'll never claim my "suggestion" makes me awesome.. In fact, I thank pgrundy for getting me on that thought line.

Like I said earlier, its never about who suggested what first. Its simply who makes it happen and successful first.

And I think you're right with the carrot stick..but how many Hubbers have made a living off of this?

I'm not asking to prod, I really don't know.

Thanks for your continued and useful knowledge, sunforged.

G|M

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)