Not liking this new format

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 15 years ago

well at the risk of being 'booed",I have to say that I am uncomfortable with this new format so much that i find it difficult to participate or write a new hub. I've logged in for the past week and just can't warm up to this. The older one felt warmer,if that makes any sense.
    Tonight I manged to read a little and make some comments on hubs but it doesn't feel right.
    Hopefully I'll adjust.hmm

1. Whitney05 profile image81
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry about getting booed, I've posted a number of complaints about the new design.

I do agree the other design was a little warmer. I still think adding a boarder all the way around and making the center white, would give the site more color. Kind of like the askmen.com website (and others, that's just the first I could think of).

I'll say that I haven't been straying too far into other people's hubs, reading, much less the requests or forums (the forums are confusing, and it's SOO much easier just to click the sections on the side versus see all the topics in the middle that I don't want to read). I've been in an out just answering comments, and spending little time reading bc the whole site really looks blank to me, and it hurts my eyes. I did make a few hubs this week, but I haven't spent too much time otherwise.

2. profile image0
      UNLOVED ROHITposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think this change in hubpage is fine it is kind a new taste and more attractive also fast i think

2. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

You will and change is good.. I understand as I felt the same way , it just takes some getting used too.smile

1. my-success-guru profile image57
      my-success-guruposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hey thanks AEvans I better check out the user name with the virus it sounds familar.

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You joined it and became a fan earlier that is why I kept e-mailing you ..smile

Hopefully that's not why my system just crashed when I was trying to get back to you. Did youthink we should post this warning to the people in this forum?

If I unjoin now do you think I'll be alright?

How did you find out about this?

I noticted you are one of the top Hubbers in this forum. What would I have to do to get on the list- post 100 times per day LOL

Ok thanks and what was that naughty Hub you were mentioning earlier???

Hey I was just thinking- we should have these talks in my Hub. That would really increase my comments. Then we could take it over to your Hub. LOL I'm kinda kidding but could we do this???

Considering I work normally 10-12 hours a day , I was surprised and scared that tells me I talk to much..lololololo smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
                  Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

And what would be the point?  I've been wondering why you keep popping into threads to make short comments that generally don't contribute to the discussion - now I think I understand.

While posting in the forums may get you noticed by the Hubbers who hang around here, that's a fairly small number of people.  And being ranked as a "top forum poster" doesn't really do anything for you, apart from perhaps make you feel good. What's going to matter is the quality and visibility of your Hubs, so you would be much better advised to concentrate on them.

1. agvulpes profile image86
                    agvulpesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

"ouch" That smarts!

You will be fine, just get off of it...
              It is in our forum and we had a hug discussion last night.
              I had the same similiar forum, but removed it as we only need one discussion. smile

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
                Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, technically, I removed it. wink

1. AEvans profile image71

Yes you did, I see the verbage..big_smile
                  Maddie removed it at my request, thank you Maddie!!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
                    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm just teasing.

To speak to the original question: Yes, we were prepared for some users preferring the old format, but we believe that the redesign as a hole is an improvement both in aesthetics and in functionality--we've already seen a jump in traffic and expect increased earnings as well.

Think about it like a new haircut or pair of glasses; it takes some getting used to, but once you get used to it, it will start to look and feel natural again, until you forget how it was before!

Go to the forum that talks about PKoson I believe it is in the hubber hangout!! It is there already but it certainly is a great thought. I hope you removed yourself from the fan list.smile

2. my-success-guru profile image57

Thanks for the heads up on that. Your all right don't let anyone tell you different! I know it's actually differently but I just dont think it sounds as well.

and another typeo! Man I hope I didn't just have a typeo when I'm trying to fix your which should have been you're. I guess who cares. I just want to look like I passed third grade, LOL

1. Pest profile image77
          Pestposted 15 years agoin reply to this

dont sweat all the small stuff...i spend minutes, even tens of minutes perfecting my Hubs.  I relax int the forums and comment section ...

3. Pest profile image77
    Pestposted 15 years ago

Meh, it is okay.  I still type shitty and make little sense so nothing has really changed at all for me.

4. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 15 years ago

On second thoughts, I guess I too would be more comfortable with the earlier format.

smile

5. Gerg profile image77
    Gergposted 15 years ago

Just wanted to add my two cents - I think the new format is a vast improvement to the old.  More intuitive and easy on the eye to me.  I know a lot of people are struggling with the new Facebook format as well - I don't have much of an opinion on that one, but I do think there's a definite tendency to not like change - good or bad!

'K.  I'm done!

6. Anna Marie Bowman profile image73
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 15 years ago

I am on the fence about the new format.  I like aspects of it, but I agree, it felt warmer before.  It was more colorful.  Maybe it's that big band of gray at the top.  I don't know.  There are some features and functions I miss, like the ability to see all your posts, organized, seeing if anyone posted replies, instead of having to search through them.

7. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 15 years ago

I think on balance it is a huge improvement.  The catagories navigation certainly gives much more visibility to hubs which would otherwise be 'lost'.  Generally the ability to navigate around Tags and Catagories adds a new level of functionality to the site.

The 'latest forum post' visibility is really good too - I wouldn't normally tend to enter say the Hubbers Hangout but this facility draws you in.

It is too early to comment on earnings but my CTR is definately  higher.  Unfortunately the 'new' clicks seem to be relatively low value but it still looks very promising.

Well done HubPages Team!

8. Shil1978 profile image88
    Shil1978posted 15 years ago

Initially, I didn't like the new look either, but I find that I am warming up to the new look. Now, I think its definitely better. I think its way more stylish and cool to look at now. They've maintained many of the features of the old HubPages, so all in all, a job well done HubPages Team smile

1. Paraglider profile image88
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with that. The look is cleaner and more navigable. Besides which, every public 'utility' has to reinvent itself every few years to keep up with changes in technology and new user expectations.

2. JamaGenee profile image79
      JamaGeneeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  It took a bit of getting used to, but all in all, it IS better.  The old format would seem strange now. Good job, Team! cool

9. lawretta profile image62
    lawrettaposted 15 years ago

hi guys, just wishing you a happy Easter celebration.

10. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 15 years ago

OK I did it! I just posted a new hub on this new format.
    I'm going blind with this new "tiny" fonts!
    I almost hit delete on a few of my hubs when I was checking my stats!
    Talk about anger!

OK I'm fine now......hmm

11. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

I liked the earlier format, but I didn't want to be the first one to say so. Now that the ice is broken, I guess I can 'come out' as the inflexible stick-in-the-mud I truly am.

Maybe it's just my imagination but it seems like my Adsense revenue is down since the change too. yikes

12. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

"I liked the earlier format, but I didn't want to be the first one to say so. Now that the ice is broken, I guess I can 'come out' as the inflexible stick-in-the-mud I truly am."
    Just concerning these new forums which is about all I do, I notice I don't post much any more. I liked it better when people stayed in their own neighborhoods.
    There don't seem to now be much of a coherence of affinities.

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It is easiest to notice in the forums. I never posted a lot in the forums, but now I have trouble even browsing them because as you say, it's not really organized very coherently.

I have trouble searching by person too in the hubs. I don't always go right to a hub when I get an alert because I'm working, and I used to be able to find authors easier at a more convenient time. Now I search an author's name and all kinds of weird stuff comes up. I still manage but I miss the other way.

1. Whitney05 profile image81
        Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I just use the side section and go to the sections that I want to read. I can't stand how new posts are now in the middle. It's confusing somewhat.

13. marcofratelli profile image79
    marcofratelliposted 15 years ago

I was a bit overwhelmed by the change initially. But I think HubPages needed it to move forward. I don't know much about it technically, but I can "just tell" that the structure is now more suited to expansion - more hubbers and hubs. Even posting in the forums seems to happen faster.

14. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

Yar, here's my two cents.

While I think everything should be criticized, I personally think the new format was a great improvement.

And as far as listening to all of us....

What if people who complained they now had to use a key instead of a hand crank on a car won over?

We'd have no change.

And change, my friends, is a nice spice.

Sincerely,

G|M

15. Trekkiemelissa profile image65
    Trekkiemelissaposted 15 years ago

I didn't want to be the first one to say this, but I did like the other design better.  I understand change, but the text is not the best for my eyes even with increasing the zoom.  Navigation seemed better before.  I liked seeing what the last post title on the forums for each section of the forums, and now we have to go into each section to see what the latest post is.

16. charanjeet kaur profile image59
    charanjeet kaurposted 15 years ago

what if this was our first format would we like another one i guess no. Life is always best the way it was, i had my own inhibitions to this new format. The day it changed i thought there was an error and HP team will fix it soon. lol the dream seems to stay on, hang in there, will have to give it time to feel good again...

17. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

"  I liked seeing what the last post title on the forums for each section of the forums, and now we have to go into each section to see what the latest post is."
    Seems seldom it is anyone can leave well enough alone.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)