Should the GOP cut programs that make money for the taxpayer?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Doug Hughes profile image59
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

I make a mortgage payment to the US government,  the USDA, to be exact. The government will make $108,000 over the life of the loan. It's a self-help project for low income first-time homeowners. It's a win-win-win. The homeowner gets in with sweat equity. The project creates jobs for the construction industry. The government takes in more than they spend over the life of the loan.

Naturally, it's at the top of the list of programs to eliminate for teabaggers because it helps people who aren't rich. Like the bailout of GM, which will net the taxpayer hundreds of millions in profit while saving millions of jobs, shouldn't this be on the 'SAVE' list, rather than the 'KILL' list if it makes money?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am seldom happy with the concept of government "making money".  It always seems to be another ploy to cut out private business by massive subsidies, once more taking from the "haves" and giving to the "have nots".  And no, I do not refer to your personal situation; merely to that particular function the government has taken upon itself.

I am not familiar with USDA mortgages and will probably make some wrong assumptions but:

1.  Unless you are paying market rates of interest (probably not?) the government must borrow the money to make the loan and may well not make a profit on it.

2.  Banks seldom go for "sweat equity" for good reason - far too many defaults.  While you may well be successful in building your home the overall rate of failure for such projects is too high for business - why in the world would government be more successful?  They can't do anything else right!

3.  I assume little to no down payment - again, banks have found that to be a total failure.  It is one of the major causes of the mortgage business collapse.  Without subsidies government will find the same thing.

4.  If indeed the project is self sustaining, creating jobs for construction industry, the same thing can be done (and done better) by private business which creates tax income that wasn't there before.

Overall, the government has no business in trying to make money by running a business.  Including the mortgage business.

Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The program has been around for 40 years. There is a foreclosure rate, from memory, 4.5%. It's no money down but we worked! All the painting and any work which didn't require special expertise. Forty thousand homes have been built under the program, all in areas classed rural. The program is designed for people of modest income who might never accumulate the down payment. In other words, we would not have gotten into decent housing because we would never have 15 to 20% down payment.

I can introduce you to a hundred families who will tell you it works.

The same folks who want to convince you the government can't do anything right, confronted with a program that works on every level, will then tell you the government must abadon that success so the narrative of government failure is intact.

See, I told you I would make wrong assumptions.  The last (only) house I've had built I did all the painting, all the landscaping, poured the sidewalk, built the front concrete and brick stoop and more.  I did not consider it as sweat equity; I thought you meant framing, sheetrocking, installing flooring and cabinetry, etc.  Everything but perhaps electrical, plumbing and HVAC work.

There is a local program here whereupon folks agree to help build several houses, whereupon they get their own built (with their own help).  Only a small handful of professional are used.  I believe it is successful, but it is VERY limited; only a handful have been completed.

I don't understand how you can say the USDA program works on every level, though; does the government actually make money (verified by competent and honest auditors) or is it another subsidy?  Most government programs work; we have roads and airports, we have beautiful national monuments and parks, and NASA made it to the moon.  None of these, however, make money.  They all cost money, and I strongly suspect that this mortgage program does as well.

Government can and has accomplished many great things.  It is just that private business can nearly always do the job as well and at far less cost.

1. John Holden profile image61
            John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then why doesn't it?
            And why is the bottom line all ways in $$$$$?
            Why not in improved living conditions or improved employment, improved health or improved environment?

Simple: the OP was about the government making $$$$$.  Not about improved employment, health or environment.  That is therefore the thrust of my comments.

So why not answer the first point?
                Why doesn't it?

For the most part it does.  You, however, choose points that are not in the realm of business at all and expect business to accomplish it anyway. 

While the American health system can produce perhaps the best health care in the world, it can't do so for everyone without massive govt. subsidies.  That is not the work of private business.  Just as an example.

On the other hand, ask nearly any vet using the Veterans health care what they think about it.  Or anyone that works in it.  It's pitiful compared to the privately run hospitals.

No, it is you that expect business to accomplish things that aren't in the realm of business. It is not in the realm of business to provide social housing, it is the realm of government.

2. lady_love158 profile image59
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol! Yeah sure it "makes" money! The only way the government makes money is to print it! SHUT IT DOWN!

Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LaLo - you need to see an orthopedist about that knee-jerk reaction.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

You assume these people are not brain dead.

3. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Eric Cantor said "we all need to tighten the belt, make do with less."

Unless of course, you are Rush Limbaugh.
    It's too much for poor ole Rush to have 57 million dollars instead of 59.

You, on the other hand...you poor seniors, disabled kids, poor single moms, middle class worker, union member, YOU will do with less. And YOU will take it and shut up.

4. Doug Hughes profile image59
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

Did you know that the US Postal Service generated a surplus for DECADES?

They have also generated large deficits for decades.  It worked fairly well until private business began to compete with them, whereupon they found they couldn't charge the premium rates for plum work and use those rates to subsidize the more difficult and lower paying work.  Whereupon they went into deficity and subsidized mode.

Nevertheless, the postal service is, outside of those few income producing sectors, a good govt. service.  It just doesn't produce any income.

2. lady_love158 profile image59
      lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol! Sure because it was a monopoly! Now it's an obsolete dinosaur that should be cut loose let fedex and UPS provide mail service!

5. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

No thank you!
    I don't want to have to pay $3.00 for one stamp.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)