Amazon whats up with it?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

How long does the tracker last after someone clicks an Amazon ad?

Are your sales down? and not just because of the google algo change

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The answer to your first question... Amazon made a change months ago that leaves the tracking cookie only while the person is in their site. So that means if they click on an Amazon ad in your hub, they need to order in that session for you to get paid. If they end the browser session and go back to Amazon to order later, you don't get credit for it. Even if they do it within minutes.

But that doesn't explain why your sales have dropped suddenly now. The answer to your second question was explained well by ryankett in his prior post.

1. bgamall profile image68
        bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How convenient that they make this change and just afterwards the algo puts Amazon at the top of most search.

This is just a money play. Big gets bigger in everything else, so why not in search. Greed is greed.

My opinion is that Google wants to make their search results work best for the person doing the search. That is the only way they will keep people coming back to do more searches. Any company in business for profit with focus on this. 

If you are experiencing Amazon coming out on top for unrelated searches, my question is.. are you searching for products?  If so, then of course Amazon will come out on top a lot of the time.

If you were actually searching for other things that are not sold by Amazon at competitive prices, then can you give me a few examples (post here) of searches you have done. I'm curious to research this.

Considering it is after the holidays, if you look at the max chart you will see that Amazon benefited by the algorithm change. http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/amazon.com# What bothers me is that you don't get a better search. If you get a business with no content, only a store, how is that better?

I agree with you that if you get a business with no content then this is useless. But Google is trying to reduce those results in searches.

Problem is that they can't stop it if someone puts in a search query that is not lengthy enough. If you use just one or two words and it's a product of some kind, then Amazon may very well benefit from those searches. Amazon is full of product reviews, so that pushes them up for searches that contain only a product name. Hence the positive report for Amazon that you referenced.

It's important for people using Google to know how to be more specific with their search arguments. Here's an example of what I mean...

If you search for "humidifiers" Amazon was number two in the list when I tried it just now. But if you search for "How do humidifiers work" then you get a lot of helpful articles with descriptions of different types. I didn't find Amazon within the first few pages of search results that I checked.  See my point?

But you have to look for product reviews. No product reviews or content on the first page: http://www.amazon.com/

If you didn't know amazon you wouldn't even know they have product reviews.

And another thing, their cookies are terrible. And I don't mean chocolate chip!

Adding the word "reviews" to a google query will more than likely include Amazon. Google knows they have reviews. Are you saying you get the Amazon home page in the search results?  I never saw that.

As for the cookies, I am getting more and more confused over this. I thought they go away when the session is terminated. But see my prior post and that of lrohner in this thread. I think lrohner has a better understanding of the Amazon cookie rules. Chocolate chips are sounding pretty good right now.

Lol about the cookies. Yes, you do rarely go to the front page on Amazon, my bad. You usually do go to a page that has product reviews. But Amazon was built by affiliates, and this does seem like a betrayal although I think the cookies last 24 hours.

That is a joke IMO.

2. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where did did get that idea? The Operating Agreement has not changed, and still reflects the 24-hour cookie.

Subject to the exclusions set forth below, a “Qualifying Purchase” occurs when (a) a customer clicks through a Special Link on your site to the Amazon Site; (b) during a single Session that customer either (i) adds a Product to his or her shopping cart and places the order for that Product no later than 89 days following the customer’s initial click-through, (ii) purchases a Product via our 1-Click feature, or (iii) streams or downloads a Product from the Amazon Site if the Product is a Digital Product; and (c) the Product is shipped to or streamed or downloaded by, and paid for by, the customer.

A “Session” begins when a customer clicks through a Special Link on your site to the Amazon Site and ends upon the first to occur of the following: (x) 24 hours elapses from the customer’s initial click-through; (y) the customer places an order for a Product that is not a Digital Product; or (z) the customer follows a link to the Amazon Site that is formatted with an Associate’s tag that is not assigned to you.

You may very well be right and I may be wrong. But your quote from the Agreement left out the text that follows. They go one to list all the exclusions. 

One of the exclusions states that any product added to a customer’s Shopping Cart after expiration of the applicable Session is excluded from payment.

My understanding is that if the browser window is closed the session is terminated. Does that mean that the session expired?  Or does it continue for the full 24 hours. I guess you may be right. It's up for interpretation.

1. AlanSwenson profile image67
            AlanSwensonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The session is 24hrs from the last time someone clicked your link, so if the click it and then 10hrs later click you link again the 24hrs starts over.  Or if they click your link and 10hrs later click someone else's your cookie is gone and theirs is in place for 24 hrs.  Of course if you manually clear all cookies they disappear but how many people do that?

2. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 13 years ago

My purchasing rate is way down: it used to be around 4% and now it is around 1%. I'm not sure what is up with that - I'm getting as many clicks, but fewer purchases.

Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exact same..

I'm not sure if my Illinois thing took effect.. But I have not sold a thing since I got the email..

Thanks for the responses, all were helpful.

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I certainly don't know why, but my Amazon is doing well.  I have already sold considerably more items (for more commission) than last month, and the conversion rate is nearly 9% which is very good for me.

Having said that, my Amazon sales are, and have always been, low.  It could just be an anomaly and disappear tomorrow.  I hope not as it's producing about 1/3 of my income, but it could be.

1. CMHypno profile image83
          CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My conversion rate has gone way down to about 1.5%. Have made some sales this month, but nothing like February which was a very good month

2. Mikeydoes profile image43

Well this is more or less what I want to read.

I am hoping I am just on a dry spell..

3. Lily Rose profile image86
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I believe the tracker is 24 hours...

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

The reason that your conversions have fallen really is simple. The Algorithm has only been rolled out in the US, thus you have only lost US traffic so far. The only traffic which buys from Amazon.com is US traffic, and therefore the vast majority of your clickers are probably from other countries.

5. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 13 years ago

I actually managed to make 5 sales on Amazon this month.  I am not sure what is going on, but I am grateful for the sales.

6. Rosie2010 profile image68
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

Yes, my amazon sales this month is way down.  I don't sell a lot on amazon but last month I earned $13.56 and this month to date is 52 cents, and the month is almost over. sad

7. sid_candid profile image58
    sid_candidposted 13 years ago

The situation is real bad for me. Forget about sales I did not have an amazon click for last 10 days.

I've been getting clicks like crazy....

FINALLY GOT 4 sales, nothing huge, but maybe $5-$10 revenue. I was getting sales nearly every day last month. smile Uplifting.

Still need to figure out my Illinois residency(aka Amazon revenue stream shut down). I do have a back up plan, which is Mark Knowles, but right now I am working on getting a new residency.

1. WoodsmensPost profile image63
        WoodsmensPostposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope you get that Illnois thing figured out quick Mikeydoes, I know you were doing well in the past from reading posts. This month I am at 3 sales hopefully I make the $10 payout by the end of the month. I am not sure but I think March tends to be a slow month. People said February but I saw no decrease for that month

I looked at the link Mark was giving you, personally I would stay away from that kind of offer only as a last resort, even then I wouldn't take the offer, only because then it would be 3rd party so TOS could get sticky if you read Amazon, Adsense, and Hubpages do you really want another site involved? Just a thought. Keep the faith, I'll be watching for some good news on your new residency for amazon assoc.

Thank you very much.

I have been in Florida for a long time, so I am pretty sure I will get my residency here. I've been here all but 2-3 weeks this year so far wink

We'll see thanks again for the advice.

8. PaulaHenry1 profile image65
    PaulaHenry1posted 13 years ago

I am very sad to report that I have 1 sale for the month. This is a great drop from previous months. I am very discouraged. Google clicks are severely dropped as well. sad

Things are turning around. Just keep trucking I say. It only takes 1 shopping spree to get a nice chunk of money wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)