Unnecessary Angst over Duplicate Content

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I notice several disgruntled Hubbers on Eric's new Hub, saying they're leaving HubPages because of the duplicate content flags.

They seem to be misunderstanding what the dup content flag is all about - either they think they're being penalized, or that the flag means they have to delete the Hub.

I know HubPages prefers original content, but it's a pity if good writers are being driven away from HubPages because they happen to have republished a few of their old articles here. 

I have several "dup content" articles on HP - written in my first few weeks here, before I understood why that wasn't a good idea. I know they won't earn as much as my original Hubs - not because of anything HubPages does, but because Google penalizes duplicate articles (which is why HP wants to warn you). I just haven't had the time and energy to rewrite them.  It doesn't mean I need to delete them, and some of them are earning a few cents here and there.

I assume the angst is caused by the effect it has on Hubscore, and I sometimes wonder if having a Hubscore is a good idea at all - all it seems to do is divert people's attention away from attracting paying traffic to achieving a high score, which doesn't really have much to do with that.

2. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

All a person needs to do, is a bit of a rejig, and if it's enough, it'll remove the flag.

It'll be of great benefit for the purposes of SEO for a person to do this.

Relache had a hub of original content republished, without permission, at a lot of other sites. She figured the effort to contact all those sites and have the material taken down would have been greater than doing a rewrite of her article. If I remember correctly, the result was an almost immediate influx of fresh Search Engine traffic.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, Darkside.  Ultimately, the dup content flag is there to help us, but people seem to be treating it as some kind of accusation.

2. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's true and due to some other internet timing (the release of a DVD that went with the hub topic), it was a massive spike in new traffic and some nice scratch to go with it.

HubPages is really clear about what the duplicate content flag means, and it gets re-explained frequently.  My own feelings are that if people are so upset over the duplicate content flag that they want to stop using HubPages, I think they should be free to do so.  It's sort of "you can lead a human to comprehension but you can't make them think."

1. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sitting here laughing long and loud like Jabba the Hutt over that quote. big_smile

1. relache profile image73

Glad you like, sir.  My fingers just typed it and then I sorta had a moment like that myself.

2. Eric Graudins profile image61
        Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just to clarify: I'm not having a hissy fit and removing my content because of the duplicate content flag. It's for other reasons. :-)

But It's interesting to note that you get flagged for duplicate content if your work appears on one or two other sites, yet the HubPages help file says it applies if your work appears on a "Large Number" of other sites.

cheers, Eric G.

I think they've tightened things up since they posted that information.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Eric, I wasn't referring to you when I used the word "disgruntled" - I was referring to the two or three other Hubbers who sounded upset in the comments to your "departure" Hub.  Although what I was trying to say in my own comments, was that your Hub read exactly like a hissy fit, and made it sound as though the dup content and overly promotional flags were your primary reasons for going.

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 14 years ago

You can have duplicate text in hubs, and you can have links in hubs.  You just can't have duplicate text AND links on the same hub.  Without this rule, armies of self proclaimed SEO experts would be cutting and pasting article after article (that they may or may not have written) to HubPages with links to sites they are trying to promote.

I'm sure we turn off some good community members and some new users that might turn into solid contributors with this policy.  It's unfortunate, but we feel the benefit of more search engine love and less spam far outweigh the costs.

We are also are very clear about this rule, and provide automatic warnings on the hub as soon as it has been tested (which is typically within an hour or two of being published), but before it is reviewed by our moderation team.

1. SiddSingh profile image60
      SiddSinghposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did not understand this point completely. Can someone help, please?

You can't have duplicate text AND outbound links in the same hub.

1. SiddSingh profile image60
          SiddSinghposted 14 years agoin reply to this

(At the risk of sounding stupid) Is it okay to have duplicate text in one hub, and links in the other?

Yes. Provided the links in the hub you're talking about is original and not duplicate content.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

I think the policy is completely logical and legitimate. I have a couple of hubs noted as duplicate-- ( dups previously written by me) but that is fine since they are very low in visitation.

I have a choice of what to do about that.

I DO like to know if someone is copying without permission.

5. lakeerieartists profile image64
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

I just read this and am glad because I didn't understand what the duplicate meant.  Now I can fix that.  smile

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm usually pretty good at both comprehension and thinking (I think, anyway), but in my few instances of getting the "duplicate" warning I did think it was essentially encouragement to either change the material or else remove it.  (It was stuff I'd written and, maybe, had on a blog or something like that.)

I had one not long ago that I wrote just for HubPages, and that one showed up as a duplicate.  I thought it was because I had written a similar title/similar material thing elsewhere (but each one I'd written "just from my head", rather than "re-working" the first one).  Since then, I've learned that it could have meant someone had taken the thing and posted it elsewhere.  In the meantime, the second one I'd written is deleted.

7. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

My problem with duplicate content is that in all cases it has happened to me it has been some other site ripping off my work and then not responding to my emails or posts asking for it to be removed. I do not see why I should rewrite my original, which I may be proud of as it is, nor do I see why Google should penalise me because someone else stole my work! Someone suggested mailing the offending site and threatening them with being reported to Google so I did this and they ignored it!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So...did you follow through and report them to Google? It is not difficult...

1. Bard of Ely profile image79
        Bard of Elyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, not yet because I am sure I read that you have to send your complaint via the mail or by fax but not by email. Either way it is more difficult for me seeing as I have no printer and the post office or the nearest fax machine means a trip into town that takes about an hour in all. I don't see why I should have to do all that because someone else stole my work!

1. relache profile image73

I first file a DMCA with the site, then with the internet host of the site and then Google.  So far, escalating to filing one with the host has worked, as they often are advertisers with Google and have rules about plagiarism of their own for their clients. 

Of course, for me to have to snail mail Google costs a fraction of what it would cost to do so from the Canary Islands so that's always been a still-easy third step...

8. tcampanaro profile image57
    tcampanaroposted 14 years ago

So from what I'm reading, an article I've previously written and posted elsewhere can also be posted here? If so, do I just ignore the Duplicate flag on my article?

1. VioletSun profile image76
      VioletSunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that seems to be what is being suggested.

9. tcampanaro profile image57
    tcampanaroposted 14 years ago

Thanks Violet

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)