New Restrictions on Air Travel

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (24 posts)
  1. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

The latest restriction to Air Travel: Passengers must be in their seats one hour prior to landing...no getting up. And Nothing in the Passengers lap. No getting up ahead of time to grab your jacket or carry-on. (As I understand it)

Just thinking that: What about someone who really has to go bad during that one hours time? I imagine the Airlines will have to cut down on drinks in flight to accommodate this...and what about folks natural body functions being slightly out-of-whack  while travelling...you know "jet-lag" can mess with your body's internals. Let's see...an hour to hold it...plus wait for the exiting traffic to clear to make it to the nearest restroom...uuggh!  (This could get messy!)

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

so how is this enhancing air safety again...?

manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good Question...hmm ?

2. Lily Rose profile image85
      Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, it's at each pilot's discretion if they want to do that - that's what I heard reported, anyway...

manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A radio station down here in Houston had an audio where the pilot took that one step further...and said no electronic devices of any kind be turned on during that time...as well. Maybe...this was an isolated incident? Any ways...are we headed for just sitting in our chairs looking straight ahead and staying quiet...as air restrictions get tougher and tougher? If that's the case...some of my ol' teachers would have made great air stewardesses then...should this be the way we are headed. lol

3. Tottie profile image60
      Tottieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the idea of not leaving one's seat for an hour before landing is stupid.  I hope everyone on the first flight with this new rule pees where they sit!  It is outrageous!

I travel a lot - and am due to go from Australia to China in February - with one or two stop overs.  Believe me, I avoid going to the loo on a plane, but with long flights and plenty of inflight food and drink (I drink quite a bit of water as flying can be dehydrating), I need to go to the loo sometimes or I will wet my pants.

I am surprised how stupid many travelers are.  I'm happy to be "patted down" or have a full body xray.  I take care in what I pack in my hand luggage.  I had about 18 flights in 2009 and am happy for increased security - but some suggestions are stupid.  Better checking of people, and luggage, and being smarter about people on so called "watch lists" would be better.
      Clearly the man who is alleged to have caused the problem on Christmas day should have been noticed by all airlines and security operations.

2. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

It makes no sense. If your on a 4 hour flight and someone wants to blow it up they will just do it soon after it's in the air. So the rule is meaningless.

Also try telling a 6 yr. old they have to hold it until they land. I see lots of accidents happening.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

But if it cuts down on people jumping up to get their luggage the moment the fasten seatbelts sign goes on, it will be worth it smile

4. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

do they check stuff like babies' diapers? i bet they could hide sticks of dynamite in there... neutral

1. Chloe Comfort profile image60
      Chloe Comfortposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't go giving them any ideas! Just imagine if they did start checking - I'd hate to have that job big_smile

And those poor elderly people who need to wear those "Depends" under their clothes  - are they going to be checked too?

5. fishtiger58 profile image68
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

I think I will just skip flying anywhere and drive. I can stop and go when I feel like it.

6. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

It's not going to make us any safer.  It's another example of an incompetent bureaucracy confusing activity with action. But if they don't do something, someone will think they did nothing and fire somebody, so they do this instead, thus preserving lots of jobs for a bit longer until the next unpreventable bomb goes off and some people do lose their jobs, only to be replaced by others who will be equally unable to prevent anything an extremist with a bomb is determined enough and does his homework enough to get to go off. It is a sad testimony to the titanic stupidity of government.

7. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

i luv flying. it's just taking off and landing that i can't stand. wink

seriously though when you're up over those clouds you think 'wow, i am seeing what gods must see if there are gods', which is kind of a neat feeling.

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of them thinking as they gaze down at the little airplane silhouetted against the puffy white, "Go, my child, light the fuse and destroy the infidels," while perhaps another thinks, "I'll welcome my children home when that bomb goes off, and the non-believers, well, off to Hell a bit earlier than planned."

2. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have only flown two times and I have to agree with you about how beatuiful it is , but the employees at airports are so rude and I was pulled aside and searched both times, it seemes like such a hastle to me I would rather just drive , but everyone should experience that kind of beauty at least once in their lives.

8. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
    AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years ago

You'd all be much safer if they made it illegal to drive without winter tires on your car.

9. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 14 years ago

We are flying back home to Florida from San Diego in a couple of days - can't wait to see what happens...

10. Frugal Fanny profile image60
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

In addition to that, if anyone wants to fly into the US now, they have to get patted down.

11. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Full-body scanners are looking like they are the best bet for airline security.

1. Lily Rose profile image85
      Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree.

12. EdgeSavvy profile image61
    EdgeSavvyposted 13 years ago

They must be crazy... I really want to see how the can make children stay calm and no movements for an hour.. common, they cant stay still for 10 minutes!!

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You raised a 14 month old dead thread, to post that response? roll

WOW! hmm

1. EdgeSavvy profile image61
        EdgeSavvyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes. someone needs to be bring things to life again!
        hubpages is getting "dead" too!

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)