My Ebook Was Approved by Smashwords Premium!! Thanks Sandy Mertens

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)
  1. bgamall profile image68
    bgamallposted 13 years ago

This is a thanks to Sandy Mertens, a Hubpage and Squidoo author, who has properly formatted my ebook so that it is accepted in the Smashwords premium catalog. That means it is available for Apple, Sony, Barnes and Nobles, Kobu, Amazon,etc.

Sandy will make your ebook if you have one that needs to be formatted correctly and if you don't have those skills. She is very capable and thorough and she does charge a fee. smile

1. Sandyspider profile image73
      Sandyspiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That you Gary. Much appreciated.

2. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I don't know if she can format illustration books but let me ask her anyway. What's her Profile URL ?

bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She put a chart into mine. Sandyspider is her handle here.

2. Sandyspider profile image73

It is true that I added a chart in for Gary. Though it can be tricky with the formating. Smashwords encourages as little images and links as possible. They aren't readable in some of the reader formats. And if they do work, depending on where the pages stop in those formats, the image will get cut off from one page to another. According to what I have read.

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've one storybook (illustration) to publish so i guess that needs to be published via other sources if smashwords isn't image friendly. I do have few more projects, i'll get back to you soon.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sky, it's not Smashwords that's not image-friendly, it's the electronic readers that people are using.

Smashwords is simply warning authors that people may not see the images the way they're intended on some readers - not because of the way Smashwords formats them, but because of the way the readers work.

That is what I got out of it. But you do have the image arrange right too. There are several formats on Smashwords which would be beneficial. Where I believe that LuLu is only PDF.

Marisa, you must have ebooks on Smashwords too. Now that I have done one for Gary, I should create my own smile

I don't, yet - I am working on one. 

As for Lulu.com - have you looked at Amazon's CreateSpace instead?

I did a lot of research into both of them, and in the end, I think CreateSpace has the edge.  They have a annoying, mind-numbing formatting advice but Aya Katz says she just ignored all that and formatted it in Word with mirror margins and it worked!   You're right, if it's downloaded as an eBook then it's only .pdf - but the advantage is people can get a printed book.

CreateSpace is one I haven't heard. Thanks.

I realized that after checking the distribution points of smashwords. I think eReaders like kindle, Nook are not suitable for illustration(?), ipad on the other hand is much friendly for illustration books. I need to study how illustration books are selling on digital formats before publishing. smile

2. Sandyspider profile image73

I believe all the formats except readers like Kindle would be OK. So it just wouldn't go for those.  They have a formating process they call the meat grinder. If it isn't formating right on your end, then it could look like hamburger. Each format will have the images and text shown a bit different. I am willing to try it, if you are interested.

I do know a lot of people who publish on LuLu.com In fact,  I have a couple recipes published in a couple ebooks there from someone else who created the ebooks as recipe cookbooks. I just supplied a couple of my recipes to them. But their ebooks have images within the ebooks. I have signed up with LuLu but haven't done anything yet.

Something to look into which one would be better for you. Smashwords or LuLu.

Thanks. I'm going to check if there are other ways to get illustration book for publishing. Its going to be a huge pain due to adobe illustrator's images. Maybe magcloud or storybird can help me publish ? let's see. For other ebook projects i'm going to take help from you. smile

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Congrats! I hope you do well. smile

bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Cagsil.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile

4. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Please, someone tell me.... (because I know virtually nothing about ebooks)....

If a book is downloaded for a book reader, can the purchaser print it out from their computer?

1. skyfire profile image80

There are softwares that extract text/images from pdf and other reader formats and convert into .docx/rtf for printing.

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, are you saying that the Kindle or Nook owner would have to have some separate software in order to print out the file?  Can't PDF files simply be printed out too, without conversion?

My reason for asking has to do with the MS of a dramatic sketch that I want to submit for e-publication.  The people who purchase it would probably want to make hard copies to use in rehearsals. 

I know that the MS could be submitted so as to be made available for purchase in several different formats; but in the investigation I have done so far, it has appeared to me that going the eBook route is the best one at present.

I'm no expert, but I do know manuscripts have to be specially formatted for e-readers so I suspect they wouldn't print out well.  They're not in .pdf format.

It sounds like you need a POD (print on demand) publisher, not an e-publisher.  They will create a book that can be downloaded as a simple .pdf, or printed out as needed.

The two biggest ones, which will let you create your book free (apart from one hard-copy for proof-reading), are Amazon's Createspace or Lulu.com.

Sorry, I have been away. If you want your ebook for an ereader, it can not be in pdf format. ereaders like Kindle will not display images either.

Smashwords, which Gary is on here puts your ebook in a variety of formats from HTML, PDF and eReader format. As long as you upload your text in the right format for them to convert. This is what I had done for Gary here.

All the formats, except the eReader one will show images. So for his first ebook with has a graph within it, it is available in all formats except the one for ereader. Since he has been accepted into the Premium Catalog, his ebook is with some of the major sites like Barns and Nobles.

Hope this clears up some of the questions.

5. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the info, Marisa.  I'll go back and look at those two again.

6. Amelia Blick profile image60
    Amelia Blickposted 13 years ago

It positively warmed the cockles of my heart to see this thread.

Congratulations and well done!!! I hope you do well. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)