Petition for Hubpages to give Edweirdo a job!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (29 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Or, if they are too skint to do so, take a license out on software or something!

Edweirdo already has the best duplicate content checker (apparently, I haven't tried it, I will when Hubpages fills up my PayPal account), and a forum filter which has prevented people from leaving the site.

Ed, can we have a keyword density filter next? That would be fantastic. And how about a program which identifies stuff written in non-English or heavily spun?

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In fact, do you want to build an entire site? lol

2. Edweirdo profile image85
      Edweirdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryan, you've made my day with your kind words big_smile

I'm currently working on an update to the Forum Filter to make it compliant with the upcoming release of Firefox 4. Maybe when that's done I'll look into some other add-ons...

As for getting a job with HubPages, after I met Paul Edmondson at HubCamp in NYC we had some discussions about that very thing! I was very excited by the offer, and I spent some time on the phone with HQ talking about it.

Turns out the timing didn't quite work out - they had just hired two new engineers and weren't ready to bring in a third at the time...

You have his business card from your visit to HQ, right? Perhaps an email to let him know that the community is of a similar mind might be helpful wink

1. profile image0

I have probably been bombarding them with too much stuff for them to take notice of anything else that I say for a few weeks, maybe I will name drop you at the July London hubcamp wink

I did actually mention you in my extremely brief visit to the Hubpages HQ, and I believe that a couple of the staff have used your forum filter.

Right, here's the deal, I'll namedrop you at London hubcamp (hey, I can pretend that I know you REALLY well), and then if they give you a job, you can get me in on a four week Internship (preferably in summer), I'll be a teaboy or something, that gives me an excuse to see San Fran again (and hell, Vegas on the way back).

I wouldn't be able to leave my pug for more than four weeks, sad I know, but I wouldn't feel the slightest bit of guilt leaving her for a month lol

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Okay, I'll agree, even though I don't use any of those things you mentioned. But, Edweirdo has been extremely helpful to others. wink

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Edweirdo is my hero. big_smile

Long live Edweirdo!

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4336174_177.jpg

I'll sign ~~

4. WoodsmensPost profile image63
    WoodsmensPostposted 13 years ago

Well of course he gets my voter lick, he helped me take down one dirt bag who copied my content. The site was down for more than 10 days loosing tons of traffic until the dirt bag moved his site to another host.

Lucky for him he took my content down ASAP on the new host because the tracking code was hot on his arse.

5. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

A great idea, however search engines no longer use keyword density as a metric so that might be a waste of Edweirdo's valuable time.

1. profile image0

I was referring more to the tackling of keyword spammers, site wide to raise the quality bar and shift a whole load of junk wink

Most of us have very few problems with resisting the urge to keyword spam.

I can think of one particularly prolific hubber that I would remove for use of low quality article spinners, but last time I mentioned that on the forum I recieved a ban, so *zipped*.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
        Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok I get you now, in light of recent changes it might be a good idea to weed out the keyword stuffers and spinners who are using HP to further thier goals without providing any value to the reader.

+1

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Perhaps Edweirdo doesn't want to work for HP. But I do think he's wonderful and awesome.

1. profile image0

Maybe he doesn't, that is true. But they could commission him smile

1. wilderness profile image93
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If he doesn't, don't you know any big burly types with crowbars?  We could always take up a collection... big_smile

1. profile image0

That is true, he has no choice! Let's bundle him into a car, force him to write all this stuff, and then dump him in the middle of nowhere!

Only, as we will be extremely grateful kidnappers, we can dump him just outside of Vegas with $1000 in his pocket after having a wip round?

1. wilderness profile image93

I vote for the second option.  Who knows - a little carrot and we might get even more goodies from him!

7. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Please consider this Hubpage the:

"Petition for Hubpages to OFFER Edweirdo a job!"

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Ryan did you ask Edweirdo, if he'd mind being the subject of a topic like this? I mean perhaps he has other things on his plate or would just prefer to run his own life. (Yes I have started topics singing Edweirdo's praises - after he did something wonderful - not requesting it.)

That said. If Edweirdo enters into a formal relationship with HP, he loses some of his independence. I would prefer that he continue on as he has - and that hubbers support him by sending donations.

I also don't think that we should be implying that there is anything wrong with the competency level of the HP software engineers. This site is pretty spiffy and I've learned a great deal by watching their work.

They don't always respond to the issues that I think are important. But it is their site.

1. profile image0

I think that sometimes I am taken a little bit too seriously, and that if everybody could see my cheeky grin whilst writing these threads on my day off I probably wouldn't be.

This was just my way of acknowledging how much Edweirdo has offered the community, it wasn't necessarily meant literally.

I would hope that he is not offended by that, and neither do I know him, and neither has he ever told me that he either: a) wants a job, or b) needs a job. And if anybody else is taking this thread seriously then perhaps those two points need to be placed firmly on record.

Neither have I suggested that there is anything wrong with Hubpages software engineers, neither do I even understand what a software engineer actually does. Although I would be fully within my rights to be critical of the site if I wanted to be.

By the way, some of the hubpages team have actually used Edweirdos forum filter.

In other words, this is a light hearted thread, just like my insistance that he should be kidnapped and dumped outside of Vegas with $1200 should not be taken seriously. Should I produce a disclaimer for the original post? I don't want to be banned for kidnapping threats.

1. Edweirdo profile image85
        Edweirdoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just as an FYI to you and anyone else on the forums - please feel free to write nice things about me as often as you wish, I won't take offense wink

2. wilderness profile image93

I started to post and thought about the implication to the engineers.  Like you, I think they've done a great job and don't think anyone means to imply any different.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

+ absolutely. it's all fun.

9. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I want them to employ me as a forum mod, $25 an hour plus benefits would do nicely :p

1. profile image0

Remote or office based? Because that would probably go much further in Austin than it would be in San Fran wink

Petition to give thisisoli a job? I'd be happy to start that, but I'm not sure whether having ThisIsFreelance would be a conflict of interest? tongue

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too smile

3. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I want to be a grammar/spelling/usage editor on HP when I grow up! lol

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

I’m with ryankett on this one. In fact, I’ve already contacted Dog in Hawaii. He said he will take care of everything. No charge.

11. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Get that petition going, Ryan. I'll sign. Edweirdo is the best!!!

12. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I tried his site and it was great

13. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

He'd get my vote for a job.

Maybe Honorable Elite Edwierdo for a title, as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)