Life on Mars?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

Hey guys,

Just wanted to pose a question...

NASA's not only found salt, and water, and snow, but now methane. Which while methane in and of it's self doesn't mean there's life somewhere, the only two distinct possibilities for its existence are geological or biological.

What are your thoughts on life on Mars?

Personally..I'd love to hope we'd find it, 'cause the Drake Equation tells me its not a question that life is out there elsewhere...but then again, who knows?

Sincerely,
    G|M

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it is possible in the future. Methane may make it possible to grow crops.  And because the planets in time come closer and closer to the sun, then it see it (not in our lifetime but many lifetimes after us) that Mars will be in the right position to support life.

I think the closer it comes to the sun the more likely it will be for water to become vapor, to create it's own atmosphere, and the right conditions for life.

2. Quilligrapher profile image74
      Quilligrapherposted 14 years agoin reply to this

G|M, here are two quotes from Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space (New York: Random House, 1994),

“Earthlife is the only life in the solar system

But as nearly as we can tell, so far at least, there is no other life in this system, not one microbe. There's only Earthlife.

In that case, on behalf of Earthlife, I urge that, with full knowledge of our limitations, we vastly increase our knowledge of the Solar System and then begin to settle other worlds.”

Ibid., 376-377.

“Colonization of space is the next step in evolution

When we first venture to a near-Earth asteroid, we will have entered a habitat that may engage our species forever. The first voyage of men and women to Mars is the key step in transforming us into a multiplanet species. These events are as momentous as the colonization of the land by our amphibian ancestors and the descent from the trees by our primate ancestors.”

Ibid., 403.

Q.

3. usmanali81 profile image60
      usmanali81posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its good to spend on these expensive projects for finding life on MARS BUT its much better to spend this hard earned tax payers money on projects to save the lives of thousands of innocent brothers and sisters of the WORLD.

GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm down with your idea, but I think society has enough to go around. It's not that I don't want to help the world, it's more like most people are apathetic to an Nth degree.

We've plenty of time and people to work on both, you know. smile

Money? Not even in the equation, for it's a figment of our economy.

G|M

1. usmanali81 profile image60
          usmanali81posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What about the Credit Crunch going on now a days, its definitly related to money shortage, its directly or indirectly related to-

dont give money to poor,
          make them slaves,
          accumulate wealth,
          spend this accumulation on WAR, NASA PROJECTS for escaping to Mars after initiating WWIII in the globe,
          accumulate GOLD,

You know the wealth of 10 richest of the world is more than the budget of 3rd world countries. If only these 10 people start giving ZAKAT(Islamic Charity per year) the whole financial problems of the world can solve immediatly.

4. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe this universe and not only Mars is fully alive, its just different from us so we cannot comprehend it. smile

1. packerpack profile image59
        packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I support that! It is quite possible that not only Earth but the whole universe is already full of life. Life is everywhere just like we have here on Earth but the only difference is that people from other planets and solar system etc always travel in dimension greater then 3 i.e. they always travel in time or in higher dimension and hence see cannot see them. Since we are not able to comprehend or understand them (the reason I have explained in my Hub "Super Natural Powers") so it appears to us that they do not exist at all and are in lookout for the same

1. mohitmisra profile image61
          mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your explanation coincides with the top scientists of our times.smile

2. Edwin Clark profile image61
    Edwin Clarkposted 14 years ago

I think there has to be something else out there. "It" may not look like us but there are just so many planets out there that it would be illogical to think otherwise.

We're always in search of intelligent life elsewhere while I think we should continue searching for it here. smile

1. profile image0

I agree though the idea that we are just the beginning and the presence of life begins on this planet could change everything. smile

Oh, thats opening up so much a can of worms, right? The Vatican recently stated that just because there's life elsewhere in the Universe it doesn't mean Jesus and God doesn't exist. Wonder why they decided to say that now? wink

1. profile image0

cuz they crazy!  hahahhaha, no seriously... whether we are the beginning or the end of "life" really doesn't mean that Jesus or God don't exist. 

However, believing shouldn't keep their minds locked in the dark, after all Jesus is the light that shown on the world.  LOL-

Sorry to go there in the science forum, just made a note about your comment.  Give um a break, there is so much to life that change can only be expected. big_smile

3. GeneriqueMedia profile image60

Its all good, I lead you into it. Crucify me for it. wink

But you're right--religion is a faith based ideology and regardless if Marvin the Martian lands here or not, Jesus still has his book and his history. smile

4. skydiver profile image59
    skydiverposted 14 years ago

I think there is more to Mars than meets the eye.... Nougat and caramel.

Sounds tasty. wink

But seriously...it had oceans, precipitation, etc., etc. I would be more surprised if we never find a fossil.

5. GeneriqueMedia profile image60

Thanks for the thoughts, Q. smile I love Mr. Sagan. However, as I mentioned...NASA has been coming closer and closer to saying "There's life on mars!" We've just yet to actually find it. But its a distinct possibility that if it isn't there now, it may have been in the distant past.

And I'm still not convinced we didn't find it in 1997. wink Too many holes in their logic, and while NASA came out and said "Ooops, no, it wasn't a microbe.." they are known as Never A Straight Answer. wink So when they give me one, I'm shocked.

G|M

6. Rockwell Fitness profile image58
    Rockwell Fitnessposted 14 years ago

The British TV series "Life on Mars" was much better than the USA version.

Just figured I would change the tone of the thread.

7. GeneriqueMedia profile image60

I dunno, I think it depends on who is watching either/or. Culture clash and all that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)