In-N-Out - Has anyone ever eaten at one of these?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (35 posts)
  1. philzgrill profile image63
    philzgrillposted 13 years ago

This hamburger chain started in So. California, Baldwin Park and stretches across CA, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona.  They've been around 62 years and has some of the best food you can eat.  All fresh, no freezers and no microwaves.  You will only find these in the western U.S.  Try one if you are every travelling through, they have around 240 restaurants - you won't be disappointed I promise!  They have a secret menu that can't be found, you just have to know what to say, like "Double Double, grilled onions 'Animal Style' or '4x4' (4 hamburgers with 4 slices of cheese) or 'Protein-style' (no bun).  There's many more but those are a few.

2. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

Actually, the "secret menu" is published on their website.

I'm all about the extra crisp fries myself...

philzgrillposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the correction on the "secret menu". I guess I was referring to the menu at the restaurant.  I've heard of extra crispy fries.  They also have the lighter version of fries, less cooked.  Not sure what they would taste like.

3. eatlikenoone profile image60
    eatlikenooneposted 13 years ago

I have eaten there before. To me they are just ok. The fries are better than most places.

4. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Nope, never had one, and most likely will not unless the chain comes to Australia.

Kangaroo, my sister lives in Sydney, she loves it there. When i visit her, is there any burger joints there that i should visit?

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Phil,

We have the usual chains here, Miccy D's, Burger King, etc, but the best burgers always come from our local, family run, 'takeway' shops. SO when your in Sydney next, wander down to your sisters local hamburger joint and savor their fare. Otherwise the restaurant chain 'Hogs Breath Cafe' makes an absolute mean burger and fries.

thanks Kangaroo!  My sister just moved to your country last year from New Zealand.  I did eat at Hog's Breath in Auckland and also Wellington if my memory serves me correctly!  I haven't been to Australia but would love to travel there some day.  I will be there within a year or 2 to visit her.  Thanks again.

5. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Yes, it is one of the best burgers you will ever eat.  Get a Double Double animal style.  Just do an extra 20 of cardio in the gym the next day.smile

6. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

In N Out is a great burger chain, it doesn't have that chemical taste.

7. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

Awesome!  In N Out has a secret lingo?  I wonder what I've been missing-animal style and crispy fries?  Guess it's time for an In N Out run.
    Be right back!

good luck, the best one is the double double animal style.  see winsome's article on secret menu, he covered it better than I did on my hub.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I ate there many years ago while spending time in So. Cal.
    I don't remember how it tasted.. winsome wrote this a while ago comparing it with 5 Guys.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Five-Burgers-vs … ut-Burgers

thanks for that.  Winsome did a great job on the in-n-out company.  I was able to learn some things over and above what i've been researching.

2. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like Five guys Fries better, but In N Out Burgers can't be beat.  You get free peanuts at FGs though.  It's impossible to get both at once, because both restaurants are on opposite sides of the country for me right now.sad

9. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I had my first animal style In-n-Out burger last year. It was terrific. I really wish they'd add a few more of these restaurants around the country.

10. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

mmm, a double double.
    i miss California...

11. MarkAse profile image59
    MarkAseposted 13 years ago

I love In-N-Out, but yeah the menu isn't so secret anymore!

One point to make, before people start ripping the chain as not as good as advertised....compare it to what you get at other fast food places, a combo meal at McDonald's is at least 40% more expensive.....given price and quality, nothing comes close in fast food.

12. lindacee profile image86
    lindaceeposted 13 years ago

#2, no onions. The fries are the absolute best. Would get an Arnold Palmer from the fountain (1/2 iced tea, 1/2 pink lemonade.) "My" In-N-Out was right off the 5 and Palomar Airport Road in Carlsbad, CA. God, I miss In-N-Out! Nothing even remotely close here in South America. sad

13. clicketyclacker profile image60
    clicketyclackerposted 13 years ago

no. no one has ever, ever eaten at one of those. EVER.

not sure I follow you on this one.  Do you mean no one from your family has eaten there?

14. profile image0
    cookingdivaposted 13 years ago

I am in california and In and Out is my favorite food place to eat out. I do not eat at most fast food joint but In-and-out is different. I loved the fresh fries, nice customer services and secret menu that even vegetarian would like.

15. Hestia DeVoto profile image61
    Hestia DeVotoposted 13 years ago

I used to go camping with an ex of mine at a hot spring near Calistoga.  Nice place and delicious vegetarian food.

However, after several days of veggie food, on the way home we ALWAYS stopped and got In-N-Out... hahaha!

16. mulva profile image61
    mulvaposted 13 years ago

They are awesome, but I have heard that Five Guys is pretty good as well.

17. profile image52
    jjswanson67posted 13 years ago

In&out............"Thats what a hamburger is all about" Remenber that comercial? Says it all!!

18. SaffronBlossom profile image79
    SaffronBlossomposted 13 years ago

I think I'm in the minority here, but I think In-N-Out Burger is overrated--it's good, but it's not as magical as everyone says.

19. gypsumgirl profile image70
    gypsumgirlposted 13 years ago

In-n-Out has one of my favorite burgers.  Absolutely delicious!  Can't beat the shakes either.  Right up there with Steak-n-Shake.  Yum!!

20. DaNoblest profile image60
    DaNoblestposted 13 years ago

Great burgers and Shakes too. Best fast food restaurant out here. It is one of the first places my sister from Hawaii goes when she comes to visit. I always see them well staffed and full of customers no matter what time it is.

21. LVBurgerBlog profile image60
    LVBurgerBlogposted 13 years ago

In-n-Out is a regional chain in Southern California, Arizona, and Southern Nevada. They are a family-owned business that has tight control on their restaurants. They have a very limited menu; they do burgers and only burgers (well, fries and shakes too). But what they do, they do very well. In-n-Out is generally highly regarded and loved by their loyal customers.

LVBurgerblog
      i just ate there tonight with my family.  it was great!  I can't think of a better burger, except homemade.  I usually order the double-double, grilled onions, animal style!  Delicious.

22. DaveysRecipeRead profile image60
    DaveysRecipeReadposted 13 years ago

Walter, Donnie and just about everybody who saw " The Big Lebowski". Excluding The Dude.

23. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

I used to work at a In n Out and I loved the food! I used to get there at 4:30am and open the place. On my 21st birthday my boss gave me a bottle of vodka and a note that said, "Don't be late to work tomorrow!"

24. sharing the sky profile image69
    sharing the skyposted 13 years ago

Living in California you'd probably raise some eyebrows if you said you never had In-N-Out burger (being vegetarian/vegan notwithstanding). The chain restaurant locations aren't as ubiquitous as Starbucks but accessible enough for the masses and those traveling through the State to experience and enjoy.

I've had In-N-Out before and growing up with it I think people positively regard it because it's been around for years, it sticks to good basics (along with that fun, "secret" menu)and there's some local loyalty to it--something that Californians can call their own with pride.

I love in-n-out!  I really only eat at this fast food restaurant.  I don't eat at any other (maybe taco bell on occasion)!

25. realmca profile image57
    realmcaposted 13 years ago

The facts that they use fresh food and keep their prices low keeps us going back for more.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)