Judge Blocks Obama's Moratorium on Deep-Water Oil Drilling

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (74 posts)
  1. profile image0
    woolman60posted 13 years ago

A federal judge in New Orleans issued an injunction against a
    six-month moratorium on new deep-water oil and gas drilling
    projects that was imposed by the Obama administration after
    an explosion on a drilling rig led to a vast oil spill in the
    Gulf of Mexico, the Associated Press reported.

I am sure some of you will blame Obama for this, well guess what, it is not his fault, find someone else to blame.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who? You mean he didn't do it?

1. profile image0
        woolman60posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The courts over ruled the President and are allowing them to continue to drill.

1. profile image60
          logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank god someone has half a brain!

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
            Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Half a brain?  Gotta be a conservative judge!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
              Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Better than none.

1. MissusSmith profile image60
                MissusSmithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Of course, the fact the Judge was appointed by Reagan, and holds a sizeable interest in Haliburton had absolutely nothing to do with it. We all know the political innocence to Louisiana -- that banana republic attached just below Mississippi.

Folks, as a resident of the Gulf, I can assure you; there are more things at stake here than you can possibly imagine -- nor can Glenn Beck by the sounds of it.

2. tobey100 profile image60
            tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.  'Bout time someone used some common sense.  You don't kill all your chickens 'cause one took a dump in your yard.

2. Sab Oh profile image55
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

At least one judge has some sense!

And perhaps many dollars now too!  LOL!

1. Sab Oh profile image55

What do you mean?

You expect me to answer your questions when you ignore mine?  LOLOLOL!  Troll on!

Please stop insulting me.

Are you starting to mist up?  Do watch out for the goats!

1. habee profile image92
                  habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought you said "ghosts"!

2. kerryg profile image83
            kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The judge who overturned the moratorium owns substantial amounts of stock in a variety of companies involved in offshore oil drilling, including Transocean, Halliburton, BlackRock, and JP Morgan Chase. (The latter two are two of BP's largest private shareholders.)

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/06/22/jud … portfolio/

1. leeberttea profile image56
              leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Another perfect example of how power (and money) corrupts. Tood bad you can't see the same in the Obama administration.

1. kerryg profile image83

As I've said elsewhere, Obama's flip-flop on offshore oil drilling has been one of the major disappointments of his presidency so far, for me, and I have been consistently critical of his actions in relation to offshore drilling ever since. The moratorium is one of the few things I think he's done right, given the obvious inability of the oil companies to deal with disaster when disaster strikes (as it will again - blowout preventers have a 28% fail rate), so I'm not pleased to see it overturned by a judge with vested financial interest in the continuation of drilling.

I'm not prepared to judge whether or not Obama has a financial interest in the Brazil deal - I need to do more research first. I wouldn't be surprised, but at the present time I think it is more likely that it is just a cynical attempt to push the social and environmental consequences of the US's addiction to cheap oil onto someone else, as we've done in Nigeria for decades.

The world would be much better served if he were pushing conservation and alternative energy sources instead of more oil resources to exploit, but I don't think he has the guts to do it. Asking the American people to sacrifice anything is political suicide.

http://community.livejournal.com/ontd_p … 77765.html

"a judge with vested financial interest in the continuation of drilling. "

Thousands and thousands of workers, and the nation as a whole, have a vested interest

Yes but the money interests of government trups that of the people and Obama is going to lead us into what benefits he and his friends no matter what!

True, but thousands and thousands of workers, and the nation as a whole, also have a vested interest in a clean, living Gulf.

We can keep supporting drilling knowing that it's only a matter of time before there's another major disaster, or we can start moving people from dirty, polluting industries that destroy ecosystems, livelihoods, and lives, to clean industries that save them. I think it's long past time.

2. profile image56
              C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good luck finding a Judge who doesn't. What would be interesting is if he, "dumped" then "purchased" at just the right time!LOL

3. jman00001 profile image63
              jman00001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Guys, lets get it straight - the judge did NOT have substantial investments in Exxon and Halliburton. Your definition of “substantial” is silly. You do not directly fight and override the president of USA for money when the money amount is less than $15,000 for exxon and similar amount for his other oil stocks?  Anyone who thinks say even $50,000 is a worthwhile amount to fight with our current executive branch over the #1 issue in the world today has no business voting or even chewing gum and walking at the same time for that matter. 

The technical issues and risks of what happened and how to better prevent have been assessed weeks ago. The MMS has already issued new NTL’s to enhance safety and reduce risk. The actual risk of this happening is far less than a shuttle disaster or airplane crash. In this case in took a huge effort by certain people to break and override normal safety protocol and tests plus a big case of bad luck to make this terrible spill happen. Personally being in the oil and gas industry I’m ashamed of the response by many both within and outside this industry.  As far as the government response. Well guess what  the ”Coast Guard” and other agencies are supposed to “guard the coast”! The hundreds of millions in oil and gas company taxes pay for that backup which in this case was insanely delayed by politics and bureaucracy bungling . Most of the oil hitting the beaches of Louisiana to Florida COULD have been stopped ,but Obama delayed allowing the set up of using a large group of skimmers to remove the oil-and-water mix and near the shore, booms block oil from reaching beaches.

When are you liberals going to get it that the government does not do a good job of helping people or businesses. They are good at doing politics which usually hurts us.

You are personally involved in the oil business, from Texas, and do not agree with liberals or the president's methods.  I am shocked!

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

To relieve the pressure? or based on other factors that have to do with better ways to monitor and control problems?

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Is it true that Obama's ties to the unions is why the US won't let ships from other nations help us? I know several nations have offered.

You got it. More 'leadership' from the corrupt Chicago pol.

2. profile image56

The laws passed in the 20's did address some "union concerns" The language of the law is based in security. Look up the "Jones Act" or Maritime Law 1920's. Oh and tape your eyelids open...its kinda boring!

3. kerryg profile image83

The Jones Act doesn't apply to emergency situations, and foreign ships are already helping in the Gulf. So far, none of them have required waivers to operate.

http://www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com … 31/660195/

1. profile image56

"The Jones Act doesn't apply to emergency situations"

Not true. Read your own link.... Read the legislation itself.

Foriegn vessels can perform emergency response for oil spills. If they are designated oil spill response vessels and they meet the requirements of 46 USC § 55113. In some cases, such as the Dutch, who offered their services 3 days after the spill. The admin didn't approve until the 12th of June. Why? Concerns about the "Jones Act".  Now I mention the Dutch because they have a system of skimming that has been proven effective. They also DON"T use that nasty dispersent. 
        Now, much of the "assets" offered by foriegn countries already exist here and are not needed. Think of it, how many ships do you want running around dragging boom and waste oil.

4. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

Wow...I remember a time when righties hated judges "butting their nose in"....Activist,wasn't that the term?

Just like anything else, it's politics over principles.....yawn, it's getting SOOOOO predictable.

1. ru blog profile image59
      ru blogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is funny, because of Obama's six month moratorium a company such as Petrobras, (a brazilian, nationalized oil company,) greatly benefits.  As some may remember, Obama dropped 2 billion tax payer dollars to them as a loan.  Which is also funny because George Soros, the major player in getting Obama elected, had just dropped 900 million in the company to become its majority stock holder.  This is corruption at the highest level.

Another f.y.i., Obama banned deepwater drilling as some sort of "safety," measure.  However, Petrobras is drilling yet deeper than what we do in the Gulf.  One would think he (Obama,) as a major financial player in Petrobras, and "concerned environmentalist," would urge Brazil to adhere to the same principals.  But no way is he going to dip into Soros' pocket book. 

Obama is beholden to Soros.  This is why G.M.C was deemed to big to fail. Because Soros owns General Electric, which in turn owns GMC.  Thus the stimulus, in effect, is merely a payoff from Obama, by the people, for Soros.   Good stuff huh.  Make everyone feel warm and cozy?

5. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Obama's moratorium is another sign of either his incompetence or chicanery, I can't figure out which.  Having a traffic accident doesn't mean you ban driving on roads for six months. It's just dumb.  On the other hand banning drilling satisfies a lot of his lefty supporters especially ones with deep pockets like Soros who have a vested interest and banning further drilling is in line with his green agenda. It's weird that it doesn't seem to strike Obama as a dictatorial thing to do.  Hail to the demi-God!

1. kerryg profile image83

You're at least the second conservative around here I've seen comparing the spill to a car crash. What is it, somebody's favorite talking point? It's a ridiculous comparison. Car crashes do not typically cause tens of billions worth of damage to people's lives and livelihoods across 5+ states, let alone result in 5-20 years of cleanup or potentially permanent damage to local ecosystems.

Cars also don't typically fail at the rate oil infrastructure does. Blowout preventers fail up to 28% of the time. If 28% of cars crashed, you might see driving get banned temporarily until people figured out what the problem was!

" If 28% of cars crashed, you might see driving get banned temporarily "

NO you wouldn't, especially if all but a few of those crashes were fender-benders.

6. leeberttea profile image56
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

The more we learn about Obama's ties the more we can see how corrupt this government is! He is going to shove his energy bill down the throats of Americans.

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

At least you can see this guy' ties? - you didn't see them in the last few governments - were you blind and now can see?

Interesting how you are able to know what I saw in past governments. Is that a special power of the left?

7. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

I like how the judges called them out on the lie about the commission supporting the moratorium, lol amazing the lies the left tries to pass off.

8. TMMason profile image61

ru...

You sound like Beck.

9. TMMason profile image61

FOX News just reported that Salazar and Obama are moving forward ASAP with another moritorium on deep water oil in the gulf.

They will keep pushing it like the health-care bill. They just don't care that we said no...

10. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

It's scary thinking what life would be like without petroleum.  I'd be on a farm or a fishing hut or a ranch someplace hunched over a fire trying to keep warm while eking out a living from farming or fishing or herding.  And probably somebody like kerryg will be complaining that I was killing too many trees for firewood.

1. profile image56

thats right, you should be burning dung!LOL NO, WAIT A MINUTE, BURNING IS BAD!

We can't change the past, but we can change the future.

Oil is a finite resource. The sooner we switch to a renewable one, the less likely we are to end up shivering over a fire in some tumbledown hut all over again. tongue

http://www.futurescenarios.org/

1. profile image56

"Oil is a finite resource."

Again, not exactly right. Oil is an organic material created by nature over time. The oil we use today was created a long time ago. Oil is still being created today. Its quantity in terms of availability is not known which does make it a little on the risky side. It is not however finite.

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

hmm, just the fact that there is one of this scale that is still not under control is one too many.

12. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

One point people seem to forget is: WE DON'T OWN THE GULF. Even if we suspend drilling indefinitely. China, Cuba, Vietnam, Brazil and more will continue to drill in the Gulf. The same applies to the north atlantic and elsewhere. Off shore drilling will continue regarless of a US ban.

13. profile image56
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

the whole point of the ban was to get the Companies in American waters to move. Once gone, what's the point of coming back. Especially, if AFTER the ban there are even more painfull regulations. IT'S STUPID and will only HURT America's economy.

14. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Judge who lifted deepwater drilling ban had ties to big oil

http://digitaljournal.com/article/293819

15. sir slave profile image61
    sir slaveposted 13 years ago

What a Corrupto-thon Louisiana is!  they want their pristine shoreline AND their huge oil profits!!  2010 proved to many of them thet having both will be tricky! Here in Northern California we have a pristine coastline that we will never let any of you greedy F**** get at!! it is too much of an asset to small business owners to let a big operateor in who could possibly F*** it up for everyone like with the gulf coast!

16. sir slave profile image61

Holy overreaction batman!! the moretorium was on 1 percent of the off shore rigs in the gulf!  like 33 of the deepest ones. there are however over 3500 wells out there.

17. Stump Parrish profile image61
    Stump Parrishposted 13 years ago

Just a drive by comment, coming in to this late. It is good to see America steadfastly united against itself. Some things will never change.

18. sir slave profile image61

your damn right were united against ourselves!!
    with out two halfs of the political process you end up with either nazi or communists. keep the debate alive!!  so we can stay that way too!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)