Getting rid of a squatter today,,,,

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Well I'm going to have a fun day today! big_smile

A friend of mine has her name on the deed of a house that the main homeowner has defaulted on. As a result she is legally the owner.

She and the original owner have not been to the house in like 5 months. We found out a few days ago someone is living in the house!

So I'm going with her today over there and get them out. They cannot claim to be squatters or try to say they have squatters rights as they have only been there at max 4 months.

You need to squat on a property for 7 years in the state of Florida before you can claim that. So if anyone else has this problem, don't let them say that to you.

Legally they are trespassing and we can just get the cops to arrest them. But I'm going to talk with them first and see if they will go willingly.

I don't think they will be very happy however. hmm

1. katiem2 profile image60
      katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good luck and may everything go smoothly.

WOW desperate times I guess

2. profile image52
      lacielueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am going through the same thing ! We just bought my sisters house and now can't get my neice and her boyfriend out ! They have not paid rent. We had to put oil so the pipes would not freeze . They have until the 16 th to move out and today she said NO ! And for us to take her to court . They won't let us in the house . They are up ther having a party now ! I am so MAD !

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's not really the same thing. You are trying to evict your own niece from a home that until recently I assume was her mothers; I could hazard a guess that it was also the family home. Bill was seeking to help somebody remove an actual squatter, as in a stranger who had decided to make a vacant property their home for a while. To me that sounds like two entirely different scenarious, but then maybe that's just me.

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
          Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Naw me too, I just didn't bother. Too many exclamation points for me.

2. profile image52
          lacielueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This person has not paid any rent . Her mother left her there and moved out , never paid any payments on the home. And we were asked to take over the morgage and we did so . She signed the warranty deed over . Now the daughter has to move out. However she won't . She is not a squater but a trespasser I believe ? What do you think ?

Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It depends on your state. If she has not been there long then she may just be a trespasser. However you mentioned your in a cold state.

Up north you often have to give people more time to get out in the winter. Here in Florida you only have 5 days after your notice. After that a sheriff comes and puts all your stuff on the sidewalk.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...squatter?...wow - it's a sign of the times obviously...when I think of squatters I think of folks who claim land but usually in secluded areas - haven't heard of someone taking over a house

Oh down here in Florida it is actually common right now. There are so many empty houses just sitting for a year or more that it's very tempting.

These big housing developments with empty new houses get lived in all the time. Almost every week there is a story about a whole family getting kicked out of a house. hmm

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WOW!...that's sad...folks are having a hard time with no where to go?...probably lost their homes right?...otherwise I don't see any other reason to move in somewhere illegally.

People who have lost their homes and the long term homeless people.

Let's face it, if your homeless and you pass an empty house each day, it's tempting to start living in it. But this guy is doing it very openly.

3. PaulaHenry1 profile image65
    PaulaHenry1posted 13 years ago

Unfortunatley we are hearing of this more and more. I just dont understand how anyone knowingly "squatting" where they are quite sure it isnt their property has rights. What is the world coming to...

4. White Teeth profile image60
    White Teethposted 13 years ago

Maybe the guy that defaulted decided to rent the house out for a while…

No, she is in contact with her all the time. She did not rent it out to anyone.

1. White Teeth profile image60
        White Teethposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It was just a thought…when I was a kid we had a crooked property manager rent us a house and didn’t bother to inform the owner – just pocketed the money until he got caught. He managed many homes, and one was always “vacant” on the books.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I read recently about this happening. A young woman was arrested for impersonating a landlord and trying to collect a deposit. The house was a mess. The family almost fell into her trap.

Good luck Bill!

5. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

hey doing squats is great for legg development!!! lol aia couldn't resist.

6. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Well we decided to stop by the local police headquarters before going over there.

Because the home is in the process of being taken back from the original owner, they said this would be a civil case, not a criminal one.

They suggested going to the court and filing a order with them. But since my friend has an attorney working on getting her name off the deed we decided it was best to forget about it.

The bank can deal with the squatter once they get it back. big_smile

7. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Fascinating situation - viewed from the outside.  Sad and frustrating on so many levels.

I hope all works out well.  Good luck to your friend!  And kudos to you for helping her out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)