Creative brainstormers needed: Need a name for my non-profit

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 13 years ago

Hey hubbers. I'd like your input. I am starting a non profit to help families stay in their homes (families affected by job loss, economy, disability...)

I originally came up with GROW ministries, but found there are already quite a few GROW ministries around. I want something catchy that can be easily found and remembered on the web.

I will be using YouTube with a paypal donate button and do videos of families helped. Idea is that you can make a difference by donating one dollar.

Any ideas for a name anyone? And any other advice is also appreciated. I owned and operated a small business for 14 years so I have experience but this will be my first non-profit.

Thanks y'all!!

1. ProCW profile image80
      ProCWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

iHeartaHome

H♥ME (Home is where the heart is, right?)

AHH (A helping home)

ADH (A dollar helps)

1. Dorsi profile image88
        Dorsiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love them all!!!!

1. ProCW profile image80

smile Glad! smile

1. ProCW profile image80

Now then, shall we discuss my fee? smile hehe... KIDDING! smile Best wishes and good luck with it, Dorsi!

1. Dorsi profile image88

Thank you ProCW....and that will only COST YOU a dollar!!! lol!!

1. ProCW profile image80

smile When I have a spare one, you've got it! smile

2. Dorsi profile image88

I really really like A DOLLAR HELPS

The domain name is gone though - it's one of those parked pages at Go Daddy offering me a chance to negotiate for the name..

hmm....

wonder if I should register the .net address (which is available) although I really think the .com is much better

Decisions, decisions

(BTW CW....I am going to give you mucho credit for helping me!!!
          I might even waive that dollar fee!!

Thank you thank you my friend!!

1. ProCW profile image80

smile if there is no content on the .com, the .net would be just fine. however, usually non-profits tend to go with a .org ... smile

you're welcome and i don't require credit for anything, dorsi. i saw the you needed a hand, and i offered it. you thanked me - 'nuff said! smile

i saw the thing you said about adding ministries to it... so if you did adhm.org - that may work... haven't check it out though...

good luck!

anytime that i can help, just ask! smile

1. Dorsi profile image88

Dang....adollarhelps.org is taken too.

Darn it

2. darkside profile image64
            darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As a non-profit organization I'd be looking at the .org domain name.

1. Dorsi profile image88

I think I'll go ahead and buy that one if it's available.
              You are right!

2. Dorsi profile image88

OK I bought it too:

dollarsofhope.org

Why does the org matter? I know alot of agencies use it by why?

I'm going to try the hosting and site building through Big Daddy. I used wordpress on my last site. It was pretty good but I'm wondering how the Big Daddy website builder will plan out.

1. darkside profile image64
                darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Originally the three original domain names that were available to the public (.gov, .edu, and .mil weren't, and still aren't) were .com, .net, .org.

The .com meant "commercial". So typically for business. .net was for "network" and tended to be what the ISPs gravitated towards. And .org stood for "organization." Non-profit organizations often went for that top level domain.

You don't HAVE to go for the .org, but if the .com is gone you can just grab the .org and it looks as if it's what you would have wanted in the first place anyway.

1. Dorsi profile image88

I have both the com and the org so thats good. I'm real happy about that.

Plus I picked up adollarhelps.org, quite by accident (long story, lol) I'll set that up as a redirect to the main site.

And thanks for the org tutorial. I got it now!

2. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

HomeSave?

Mainspring?

FamilyFriend or FamilyFriends?

HomeLight?  PorchLight?  StairLight?

1. Dorsi profile image88

oohhh love the home light one.....let me go research that one Lisa..and thanks!!!

homelight.com taken...

decisions decisions....

although I could always add "ministries" to the end of any of these and get the domain..but I am trying to make it easy to remember.

3. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

D.A.D  (DONATE A DOLLAR)

1. Dorsi profile image88

ohhh like that!!!

Thanks!

1. Dorsi profile image88

Donate a Dollar domain gone. Could use something similar though...
        hmmm....

great brainstorming here for me fellow hubbers. This is great!

4. Diane Inside profile image73
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

If it was something I would remember easily I guess I'd probably be able to remember something like:

adollarsavesahome.com

1. Dorsi profile image88

That ones not taken...hmm...

and   adollarhelpsahome is not taken

5. ProCW profile image80
    ProCWposted 13 years ago

got one, Dorsi... just looked and it's quite neat sounding, and could even be searched for... who knows? smile

adhmin.org (like admin, but with an h)

i like it! smile

1. Dorsi profile image88

I like it but i think people will type it wrong when searching...hmmm....

1. ProCW profile image80

well, i think they'd (more than likely) be searching for the full name and what you offer on the site. however, if an administrator happens by because of the "adhmin", who knows... you may get some random donations? smile just a thought.

1. Dorsi profile image88

And a good thought at that!

6. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Bootstrap Dollars.

1. Dorsi profile image88

Good one. Brings to mind that old saying picking ourselves up by our bootstraps.

7. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Dollar Difference
    Hope Dollars
    FriendCare

1. Dorsi profile image88

Like um, especially the dollar difference and the hope dollars...off to search the domains on those...

1. Dorsi profile image88

hope dollars gone

dollars of hope not....hmmmm

strong contenders

dollars of hope
        a dollar helps
        adhmin
        homelight
        the dollar difference
        dad

1. Diane Inside profile image73
          Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey just wanted to say good luck which ever one you choose it is a worthy cause, especially in todays economy.

1. Dorsi profile image88

Thanks Diane inside!

8. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

If you really want to do charity work I dont think a domain name matter much, unless you look forward to make money for yourself at some point of time in future from that site. e.g. monster.com is a job site!

Anyway, Good Luck and Best Wishes smile

1. Dorsi profile image88

Thanks Sun Seven. I figure since I'm just starting from scratch here is my opportunity to get the most coverage as possible - including a search easy name.

9. cre8tive profile image81
    cre8tiveposted 13 years ago

How about something that you can tag a strap line onto

Like the website being

A Dollar a Day

with the Strap line

Keeps trouble at bay

1. Dorsi profile image88

Like it!

Karanda) I like that too - and it's available!

10. Karanda profile image80
    Karandaposted 13 years ago

stayathome.org is available.

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That one seems pretty awesome!

Dorsi, have you had a chance to research running a non-profit?

11. ProCW profile image80
    ProCWposted 13 years ago

I like the "Dad" one... by Diane

based on "DaD"

Donate a Dollar and Help a Home

DaDaHaD

12. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Or should that be DaDaHaH? - That's pretty awesome too.

1. ProCW profile image80

uh huh! smile oops!

13. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 13 years ago

A fellow hubber that has a consulting group is helping me plus a grant writer from our church and my pastor that helped start a non profit learning center here in Hayward Ca.

His hub is here: http://hubpages.com/hub/So-you-want-to- … ganization

He's a new hubber but a good guy with great resources.

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cool.  That's good!  Plus, your experience in business will be invaluable.  I've been trying to guess on my own whether it is a smoother move to go from a not-for-profit to a for-profit enterprise or the reverse (since I have more experience with non-profits).  I do think your move has a higher likelihood of success, and with the mentoring network you have, you should do very well!  It's a great and worthy cause.

2. ProCW profile image80

Sounds like a plan! smile

14. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

dollarandchange or dollar4change - adollar4change.com is available.

buckhouse

dollarsforquarters or dollars4quarters (quarters meaning the home, not the money)- dollars4quarters is available.

15. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 13 years ago

DRUM ROLL....DECISION HAS BEEN MADE..

IT'S

Dollars of Hope

Thanks EVERYBODY FOR YOUR AWESOME BRAINSTORMING!!

I chose this name because it goes along with the dollar providing hope to families (key thing) plus the domain was available - easy to remember - working on a logo now. Found one that will cost me $10 of a house made out of dollar bills!!

Just bought the domain name/hosting and working on the site.

www.dollarsofhope.com

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)