Can anybody describe the difference between spoken english in US /UK

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (36 posts)
  1. sumitparihar profile image40
    sumitpariharposted 13 years ago

I just wanted to know that what ascent is prefered,or best suited.

1. NateSean profile image65
      NateSeanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think most people prefer the accent you are currently speaking with.

Most of my UK friends get annoyed when people try to imitate their accent. Not sure if this is what you're going for.

1. sumitparihar profile image40
        sumitpariharposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes , my question was related with the spoken english.

2. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no best accent - even at the source of the modern English language the accent is still just one accent of English.  If you are Indian you should have an Indian English accent, Australian  should be Oz English and so on . .   the only important thing is your pronunciation.

Be your natural accent and be proud of it.

1. SiddSingh profile image59
        SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This.

3. superwags profile image66
      superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you should just write in whatever you've been taught; which if you're Indian and english educated, is likely to be British English. I don't think there's too much to worry about.

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

What accent is your writing in ? big_smile

4. TLMinut profile image58
      TLMinutposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Preferred or best suited for what? If you live in the UK, you'll probably be learning and using that. If you live in the US...who knows? There are so many accents here that it doesn't really matter. If you're talking about answering phones from India for your work, it depends on who your customers generally are.

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

We have one of each in my household and it's a constant source of entertainment for us both.  I'm from Texas and he's from the UK.  We'll soon be married 4 years.  He enjoys my accent and I enjoy his.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

KCC that sounds like us.

Hubby speaks with an American accent ,and me Kiwi ( or sometimes an American friend will say I sound British or maybe Australian)

The funniest thing though is occassionally if hubby is grumpy he wll snap at me to speak American (usually Im bein a smartypants)...but that just cracks me up even more lol

Accents are neat I think.

3. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

It is almost impossible to perfectly imitate another accent other than your own. Your slip will show more than you had bargained for and you will only end up embarrassing yourself and the listener.

It is best to stick with your natural accent but avoid Indianisms that always seem to show up when Indians speak.  Do this and you are fine

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

accents aren't as important or preferred when communicating.

paying attention to visual clues, gestures, and frequency(speed) of speaking are more important factors.
    never make fun of another accent..it's an opportunity to learn something wink

5. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

One is correct and the other is American.

lol  lol

Well bless yer heart honey!

Somewhere in between is purrrrrfect smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was of course making a jocular comment or as you might say "blowing smoke up your ass".

lol well I havent said that yet lol

But never say never I say. Too funny

2. thirdmillenium profile image61
      thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Intelligently funny

3. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark!  All those posts I've read (and sometimes replied to) and I never realized that you were from the wrong side of the tracks.  Bloody!  I will have to reconsider my respect for you now! lol

Ah bother.  I had tried to cover it.  Internet safety and all that.  I was hoping to be an international man (or woman) of mystery but that's all gone to pot now as they say in..........

1. wilderness profile image95

Well, for the time being I will assume you are female and French (all french girls are cute).  Or Irish.  Or Swedish.  Anything but one of those bloody British!  Just because they have a big clock they think they are important and better roll  but they can't even talk right.

BUT - I will be watching you!

Lol to that.

Monsieur.

x

lol

2. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HEY!! WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM???

I'm not British anyway, I'm Scottish smile

No problem - my wife is Scottish as well - I like Scots even if the men wear dresses. smile

All in fun, Izzy, all in fun.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Yeah? Your wife is Scottish? wow I didn't know that! WTG!!

Well, of Scotch descent, anyway.  She's rather proud of it, while I'm just another mongrel and have no idea where my ancient roots are.  British, maybe big_smile.  There used to be a scottish festival where we lived and we had a lot of fun there each year.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Tsk! "scotch" is a whisky. She may be of Scottish descent. I am Scottish, not Scotch. Ach...don't ask me the difference, it's all just words!!
                    I'd be interested in knowing about the festival all the same. If it wasn't the start of the Glasgow fair fortnight (2nd week in July) it had to be Hogmanay! Or is there another?

6. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

In North Carolina they used to have Highland Games every year, somewhere in the mountains, I think, but I forget which town or city.  They probably still do, but I haven't checked into it in a while.

7. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 13 years ago

I left the UK for Germany 24 years ago. When I speak English nowadays, nobody can tell where I'm from. When I speak German, everybody can tell I'm British. Wish it were the other way around.

1. TLMinut profile image58
      TLMinutposted 13 years agoin reply to this

tongue Sad how that works, isn't it?
      Still, the way you wrote it made me laugh! lol lol

2. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That reminds me of my mom.  She lived most of her life in Mississippi until we moved to Virginia.  She lived there for 40 years, but everyone there still thought she sounded "different" even after the 40 years (those two are distinctively different Southern accents).  Now she has moved back to MS, and there everyone thinks she sounds like she's from Virginia!

8. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

I remember a Great Britain man asking me is they wanted them to "knock me up " in the morning!
    that almost caused a fist to the face..wink

here's a little fun quiz on British terms...

http://www.sporcle.com/games/theox/BritishWords

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)