Women feel old at 29, men at 58

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (84 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

"You are as old as you feel", goes an old saying. A study now says women consider themselves old at 29, half the age of men who feel old only at 58.

A quarter of women say they feel old as soon as they spot their first grey hair. Men, however, tend to think the same only when they can no longer perform in the bedroom, according to the Daily Mail.

The study by Avalon Funeral Plans found 10 percent of women say they feel old when they think their once-youthful skin has started to sag. A further 50 percent say they feel youthful until their "assets" start to droop - often caused by childbirth and breast feeding.

Two-thirds of men feel old only when they could no longer perform in the bedroom. Around 22 percent admitted it was when they thought music had become too loud in bars.

what are your views on this survey?

1. tsmog profile image86
      tsmogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting. ngureco makes a good observation saying "on average, women live longer than men." This gives me cause to wonder maybe they deal with feeling old much sooner.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A good observation on your part. I read recently that young teenage females in France are using anti-wrinkle creams, etc.

I think many women tend to take better care of themselves than the average male. And now the older worker (male and female) has to deal with age discrimination, so it is becoming more popular for women to do what they can to look younger. I think this also depends on location and socioeconomic factors.

1. tsmog profile image86
          tsmogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is a secret to aging rebekahelle , , ,shhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anyone , , , give this some thought. Pretend you were born on July 1st 1970 and a friends baby was born July 1st 2010. On July 1st 2011 you will be 41 and from July 1st 2010 through July 1st 2011 you lived 1/41 of a lifetime. However the baby lived one year and a whole lifetime in that same year. So, who has "aged" more? I know doesn't make sense or as we age the year of life experienced becomes shorter relational to a lifetime or time goes by faster. Remember the baby experienced a whole lifetime. Just a thought process , , ,

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

At 51, I am not there yet tongue

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am an avid Daily Mail reader but don't recall the survey. I could write spiels on this subject but prefer not to.

Will only say that I am approaching my 42nd birthday and have considered myself old for a long time...

Remember: there are lies, there are damned lies...and then there are statistics... smile

4. tigerman55 profile image60
      tigerman55posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am now 70 but I feel much younger and do more work than what many people younger than me cannot do. I definately think that your as old as you feel.

5. Radical Rog profile image72
      Radical Rogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I disagree with the statement, you're as old as you feel. You're as old as the person your feeling.

6. H.C Porter profile image80
      H.C Porterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is funny!
      I think it may be true... I feel old (but it happened after my second child was born...although I am trying to convince myself and the world that 30 is the new 20)...
      I think that men don’t really feel old until they lose their stamina in the bedroom because other than that...I haven’t met one that has actually grown up? Maybe if they did... they would feel older and relieve some of our stress...so in return allowing us to feel younger? Maybe?
      smile

7. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol interesting survey..

2. dingdondingdon profile image60
    dingdondingdonposted 13 years ago

The Daily Mail is a useless rag, but the statistics themselves sound true to life. It's sad, women are told they're washed out and worthless once they hit about 25 or 26.

pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmmm

2. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this statement up to the comma.  Then I disagree. 

If you are willing to give up your sense of self-worth in your mid-twenties, that's your choice, no one is forcing you to feel that way. 

I still don't feel old and I'm over 40.  Must be my purple hair keeping me young...

3. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 13 years ago

This is all about one's state of mind.

On average, women live longer than men.

ya thats true

2. simeonvisser profile image69
      simeonvisserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So they live longer and they feel old for most of their life (from age 29 on)?

1. stclairjack profile image77
        stclairjackposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yea,..... sounds depressing to me

4. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

I am old enough not to take survey results seriously, especially if they are paid for by a company and find the concept/conclusion of this one amusing.

Survey questions can be set up so that the choices of response you can give are limited.

Not saying that someone selling funeral plans has a vested interest in when we start to feel old and might be willing to consider our eventual departure.

Often people have the feeling that they are getting old in the year before they turn thirty or forty as they can see it as the end of an 'era'. However people tend to stay 'younger' for longer now than in the past.

"I am old enough not to take survey results seriously" lol fair enough

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 13 years ago

What a lot of horse manure!

I'm female, 57, and haven't felt old yet.

I wonder how many people took the survey and whether they were representative of the general population.

However, the Daily Mail would not worry about checking up on trivial matters like that before publishing something sensasionalist.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to disagree because I felt ancient at 35 when I found myself pregnant with twins, and all other other women were barely more than teenagers at the hospital. Then when I was 38 I had another baby when some of the mothers were only 14!
      Just today, I bought a new bike and it's the first time I've been on one for nigh on 40 years (I'm 53) and now I feel 150! There's is not a bit of me that is not aching! And I had to push the bike uphill because there was no way I had the strength to actually pedal.

get a bike with a motor,... you'll look great on it, and its more fun than pushing the pedal model.

1. IzzyM profile image87

No I need the exercise. It'll maybe kill me but I am determined to get fit again. I'm newly diagnosed with osteo-arthritis and the weight has been piling on recently. This is exactly what I need (even if I did fall off TWICE today!)

the statement "maybe kill me but I am determined to get fit again."..... makes me laugh uncontrollably! but best of luck to you, may you have more luck and will power than i. ;-)

1. IzzyM profile image87

LOL yes that's just one of the mad mental expressions from my neck of the woods and you're right, it is a bit daft to put it mildly smile
              I am dying to get back out on my bike again - it was wonderful on the downhill slopes today - the wind in my hair and the sun on my back - just struggled on the flats and actually had to get off and push to go uphill.
              I only fell off when my leg muscles seized up and wouldn't do anything - couldn't even put my feet out to prevent a fall! Quite possibly tomorrow I'll be even stiffer.
              I should have added that the shop is 20 kms away (about 15 miles) and I attempted to cycle home uphill most of the way. I managed about 1 mile before collapsing with exhaustion and sending for the cavalry.

i would say eat a lot of potasium rich foods such as bananas,.... but do yourself a favor and just take a potasium pill daily,.... if you eat enough bananas to get the equivelant, you'll have NEW problems that will undoubtedly affect your biking! ha! but the potasium should help a great deal with leg cramps. i used to load feed for a living and if i moved 6-8 ton in a day, my muscles would apreciate the small potasium pill.

i personaly still advocate the motorized bike, .....faster, even the dorkest old wank looks cool on a bike!.... theres hope for me!

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks for the potassium tips - great idea especially as this is a hot country and getting hotter as we go into spring.

It probably was salt depletion because I was sweating a lot. Yeah I really wanted a scooter but they cost about 10 times what the bike did!

well, look at it this way,.... i will look cool ON my bike,... but when my arthritic arse hobles off of it,.... you'll be getting off of your bicycle and well,... i may look cool on my bike,.... but you'll look great off of your bike!

2. cheaptrick profile image75
      cheaptrickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more.I'll be sixty in September and I felt old at the age of twenty.It is a state of mind cause when I get senile[coming soon smile]I'll feel Young again!It's all in your head unless your out of your head,in which case you won't know it anyway.
      Can ya see that Alzheimer's creeping up on me...or am I just paranoid...Hmmm

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
        schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no you didn't. smile your attitude makes me feel your young wink

6. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Sounds like the New York Times! smile

7. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

I'm 24 and I think music in bars is way too loud. And when sports are on they aren't loud enough.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

LOL!

8. Christene profile image59
    Christeneposted 13 years ago

I joke that I'm old, but I really don't think of myself as that old. At 34 I look at least 10 years younger and can keep up with the teens in my hip hop class. wink

9. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I've always thought music was too loud in bars, and my husband agrees on that one big_smile. That said, my husband is 51 and has been complaining that he's old since he was 49 -- and much more since he found out I was pregnant with our now 4-month-old daughter.

Me -- I'll be 25 in three weeks, and I have a feeling it's going to be a LONG time before I feel old. If the feeling ever starts creeping up on me, I'll just look at my husband and feel very young again tongue.

1. IzzyM profile image87

You are Christene are just babies yourselves smile
      Honestly, enjoy yourself...you are only young once, but it really does last a long time!

10. thehemu profile image63
    thehemuposted 13 years ago

thats pretty amazing

11. stclairjack profile image77
    stclairjackposted 13 years ago

i remember feeling very much older than i should have felt when i was 14,... and for the most part age has always been between the ears,... some days i'm 21,.. and some days i'm 120.

12. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

Hmmm... I don't feel old.  Of course, I didn't think of myself as more than a girl until some time after the age of 27.

13. superwags profile image66
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

I feel old now and I'm only 26. How depressing. Not as depressing as surveys carried out in the Daily Mail though.

14. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Crap no wonder I feel half dead then lol

Something sweet makes me feel 21  again smile

lol....ya but i always thought you are 21 ...

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Beauty is in the mind of the beholder wink

I prefer to say Im 21 with years of experience! lol

quite right ...

15. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

I have the Daily Mail delivered every day and didn't see this survey, but I can vouch that this newspaper if you can call it that is only good for one thing, wrapping fish and chips in.smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

I miss the old fish suppers wrapped in newspaper! It's all polystyrene containers and white paper nowadays. Boring. Fish and chips taste great out of a newspaper.
      Showing my age now but I don't care smile

1. profile image0
        BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Izzy, when your ready to trade in your comfy bike seat for a nice pointy one, that doesn't let you sit down for more than 10 seconds I will point you to my hub on them. smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

LOL, that'll be never then!
          I did come across your hub earlier and I'm sure it'll be great for the professionals.
          The Spanish version of the 'Tour De France' goes by my door every year with the accompanying police and helicopters and I can usually give a wave to the TV cameras (it goes out live)smile

1. profile image0
            BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hey, that's great Izzy, do you rent out rooms?? I went to the Pyrenees 3 years ago to see the French tour and loved it. Those boys certainly move fast. Good luck to you on your bike. I'll look out for the spanish one when its on.

16. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I feel old for today at 45, just spent 5 days partying in the Island of Boracay in the Philippines.. out every night with girls less than half my age, dancing and drinking until 5am when all the bars finally shut.. then partying on wherever we could... but after a solid five days my legs now ache and I need a rest... lol

But the girls all gave up after one day and we had to find new ones... hehehehe

17. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I've seen my 50th birthday, and I still feel the same ("young-wise") now as I did when I was 20/25 (or even, in ways, when I was 6 or 14).  I don't feel the same "care-free-wise" as then, because in those years there have been the usual sadnesses, like loss of parents (and others); but there's a difference between feeling young and feeling care-free.  In ways, though, I'm happier, surer, and a lot of burdened (in other ways) than I was when I was a lot younger.

There's a lot of baloney out there (by people selling stuff) about aging, and a lot of people believe it. Most of the women I know showed very few (if any) signs of aging on their faces until at least late 40's (even without the magic, melon, extract, from France  hmm ).  I had none until my 50th birthday (and then 3 weeks later a bunch of fine lines set in  roll).  Some stuff people associate with aging is really associated with something else, like not being fit enough or like getting so much sun they've weathered up their complexion and made aging that wouldn't have otherwise taken place.  Like WriteAngled, I have a feeling not enough people took that survey.

At this point, I don't have to use a magnifying glass to see the fine lines under my eyes, so I see the aging there (although I still don't have crow's feet hmm)/  So, unlike when I was in my 40's and didn't look or feel the least bit middle-aged/old, I now have the fine lines that changed my face looks (and I'm none-too-pleased, to see them there and none-too-adjusted-to-it, either  hmm).  Still, I do the same fitness videos everyone else can do, and I can walk miles effortlessly.  Being fortunate enough to keep good (or reasonably good) health makes the difference, I think.  (It sure appears to me that being dragged through the emotional ringer over an adult lifetime doesn't do much to age a person any earlier.  lol)   Of course, in all seriousness, today's young girls start living some pretty grown-up lives far, far, sooner than kids of my generation did.  Maybe a lot of them do have "higher mileage" (of one sort or another) on them at 29.

18. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I felt old at 22 and still feel old! will get my pipe and slippers out and have a moan!

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

..so now you, and all of us women who didn't feel old at 29, have proven that study to be baloney.  smile   Now, let's all go find another study to prove wrong.  (There are tons of  baloney-studies out there, so we have our work cut out for us.  smile  )

2. profile image0
      BunuBobuposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I felt old at 15!
      I constantly moan about aches and pains.
      Spend weekends in slippers and PJs talking about the good old days big_smile

19. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...29?...wonder how large the sample was and where it was taken  tongue

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...i like 'you're as young as you feel' better.....

20. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Obviously, I'm a man.

lol

21. Greek One profile image65
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

you are only as old as the women you feel

lol lol lol lol lol

2. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

3. schoolgirlforreal profile image79

lol

22. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 13 years ago

Talk about psychology!  How can a survey know what all women are feeling once they have reached 29.  Lol this is hilarious, so I'm gathering I must feel old and decrepit!

Vonda G. Nelson

23. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

society makes a big issue of age..I think most of it comes from the beauty companies and the media carries it out there..
    women may feel old due to the attitudes of men and other women.
    40 used to be old and now it's 29.
    next it will be 14..roll

24. Neil Sperling profile image59
    Neil Sperlingposted 13 years ago

Well I'm 55 and love life. Still young enough to go the bars on weekends and enjoy every minute. One night recently a chap about my age looked around and said "makes ya feel old when you look around and see we are the oldest here" -- I replied - " if you feel old here I recommend going to the senior lodge on bingo night and stop hangin out here with us youngsters" ... LOL - He left shortly!

25. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 13 years ago

I think there is more to that syaing than what is considerd here. At 61 I can say if you feel inside like you can not go anymore, if you feel out paced, then yes the feelings of I'm Old hit and that can be at any age not just 29 or 58.

But, if you believe in putting zen in your life, approach it with a curiosity and facination and enjoyment for it, and not let others steel your energy, then...you are young. The Mind leads, the body follows

Keep yourself as well as possible, keep good mental health and you have it. At least thats what I have found so far.
    Stress and devious mind games destroy. Keep it simple and be decisive about who surrounds you. Stress and depression kills, and depression hits in many subtile forms. Stay well smile

Sound advice indeed smile

26. RalphGreene profile image58
    RalphGreeneposted 13 years ago

Yes. I've heard a lot of women that they are feeling old at 29.

Usually they have 3 children under 5.
      Most men would crack under that strain lol

But feelings change -like the wind and women merge stronger and youthful in their 30's,40's 50's (IMO) smile

1. Pearldiver profile image69
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh C'mon... roll  Let's be Honest here EK yikes

I've been out there shopping by myself... I've seen those endless supermarket shelves with rows and rows of 29 year old prunes, all pleading "Pick Me.. Pick Me!"

I've had them follow me home and tell me to soak them before they work again!
        Tell the Truth EK! big_smile
        PLEASE... Before I get to 58 and give up on prunes!! yikes  big_smile

lol  lol

Ill have you know those prunes are the new Cougars ,petal!

And unlike the fluff n frills of unsatisfied kitty kats,Cougars know exactly what they want,how often,and swinging from a real chandilier(sp) ,not a fake one ,thankyou very much lol

PD Havent you seen that T.V Programme "Housewives in Tuatapere"  yet tongue

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/1232926.jpg

2. Pearldiver profile image69

EK... You MUST Stop Telling Porkies on the Net!! sad

You KNOW that both those two housewives left in Tuatapere must actually be men in drag yikes

I mean... I have NEVER met a woman who so badly needs to raise her bikini line above her knees as much as those two! And the size of their feet whooooooa size 16 Freezing Works Gumboots? C'mon EK.. Surely you don't want unsuspecting tourists to be conned into thinking that our Fluff looks like them? roll

Natural Beauty NEEDS to be promoted by more than a Saggy pair of Speedos, with a snorkel attached!  tongue

I forgot about this thread and only now saw your reply:

lol lol PD  You are so damn naughty lol  lol

Oh the visuals,like a jolt back in time,shakes head and wakes up.

As graphic as those ahem ladies were in the buzzy,titalating South,trust me much more down to earth (oh yes earthy hmm) than the new modern line-up at the local check-out via USA.

Ohhhh lawdy,it could be like a reality show missing cousins..hehe

Hi Welcome to Walmart

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4859650_f248.jpg

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
                prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why????the red shirt man was definitely puzzled..LOL

2. Pearldiver profile image69

Yep... See what I mean about Snorkels? big_smile

That is sooooo gross EK! sad

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
                SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...ha ha....someone emailed me new 'walmart pics'...the one above was included....ouch!....must be really hot outside where ever the pic was taken  lol

Ya meant the weather right ?  lol

2. weseppers profile image61
        weseppersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

perhaps.

27. hackcounter profile image58
    hackcounterposted 13 years ago

Really interesting....

28. schoolgirlforreal profile image79
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I think it's true but you can regain your youth by exercising and being healthy, being a like a hippie having fun, dying your hair pink is what i mean, stuff like that. You can be young all over again f*** who cares! smile
    you ARE as young as you feel, so ladies over 29+ paint those nails green/blue, get a piercing, tatoo, jump from a plane, whatever.

29. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I feel old now at 32....the wrinkles on my party sausage are beginning to show! lol!

30. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

that's a sad pic, Eaglekiwi. yikes:

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)