Best Backlinking Strategy

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (60 posts)
  1. canadawest99 profile image61
    canadawest99posted 13 years ago

There are only really 3 good places to put backlinks;

1.  social media sites (digg, reddit, etc)
    2.  blogs (blog commenting)
    3.  other adsense sharing sites (shetoldme, xomba etc)

You can follow the angela's method where she puts them in forum user profiles but my experience is they never get indexed by google.

Out of the 3 which has the best bang for your efforts?

1. joyfuldesigns profile image69
      joyfuldesignsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stumbleupon
      Reddit and Twitter, but you've listed those.

I plan on doing some article marketing some to try to get more backlinks going.  But I am fairly new also.

1. Maembe profile image60
        Maembeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aren't Twitter links all nofollow?

1. thisisoli profile image72
          thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Twitter is no follow, however Google and Bing have both publicky stated that they use the Twitter Firehose (A private twitter data stream) and public facebook data in their ranking algorithms.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Xomba will no longer let you post your own links. They have to be to other sites. I'm disappointed because I received a lot of traffic from them.

3. thisisoli profile image72

1) Social media sites do not create backlinks in the sense of SEO with the exception off Facebook and Twittter.  They are part of a social media campaign.

2) Blog comments tend to be no-follow, and it is hard to get a dofollow backlink on a blog commente which conveys are high value of Google trust.

3) The two sites you have listed for other adsense sharing sites are very bad examples, shetold me is very low quality, and xomba only gives no-follow links.

You need to be loooking more at high quality article submissions and guest blog posts on blogs which are normally written by one person.

2. Garrett Mickley profile image79
    Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years ago

IMO, forum posting is the way to go.  I get the most of my results from doing that.

I recently launched a website.  Just adding a few forum posts on launch day, I was ranking on page 7 in 12 hours.  In 24 hours I was #1 in Google for the keyword I wanted (and first page for others I didn't even try to hit).

Of course, it's something very new and doesn't have a lot of competition, but that's just an example.

Backlinking in forum is easy:
    1. Find forum
    2. Sign up
    3. Post 10 replies to threads, or start your own if you want
    4. After a few days add your links into the signature, which will post that link onto all 10 (or more) of your posts
    5. ?
    6. Profit!

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image77
      DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm new to this game, but getting ready to start this...good advice, Garrett!

2. Peter Owen profile image61
      Peter Owenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi
      In what form do you add your links into the signature?
      most forums ask for name, email address, website and comment.
      I have been adding my post links into the website line.
      are you saying to add all the hubs into the body of the forum comment too ?

1. Garrett Mickley profile image79
        Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, a lot of forums have a "signature" like how you set up an email signature.  The signature is automatically added to the bottom of the post.

What I forgot to add was to find forums that allow signatures with links.

For example, digitalpoint is a PR4 forum that allows signatures with 4 links after you've made 10 posts and have had your account for 7 days.

All you have to do is go to your settings (or Profile depending on the way the forum is set up) and find where you edit your signature, then put the links in.

1. Peter Owen profile image61

actually, I dont' ever recall seeing a signature line , other than a name and website line, on a blog. Is it obvious or implied somehow?

1. Bill Manning profile image66
            Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He is taking about forums, not blog comments. Just like the forum we are on now, only Hubpages does not allow any signatures. smile

3. Maembe profile image60
      Maembeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, in your signiture do you put a link to your profile or just a few hubs?

I put links to hubs (or my websites) using chosen keywords as anchors.

I also forgot to add: Find forums WITH PR

1. Mikeydoes profile image41
          Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Too bad I can't find any forums.. lol, got any suggestions.

All I need is one with General discussion, but every one I find I'm not too sure about.

search:

niche +forum

I don't know of many forums that aren't niche based.

1. Mikeydoes profile image41

Yeah, I've been doing that.. Not finding what I'm looking for. I guess. A lot of these sites don't have signatures.

Unfortunately, a lot of them don't have signatures.  Luckily, most do.

It's tough finding forums.  Usually I only find 2 or 3 that are up to par with what I need.

But a lot of times...that many is just enough!

2. sunforged profile image71
                sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"keyword" + "powered by vbulletin"

"topic" + "powered by phpbb"

Oo that's good, thank you so much!

1. sunforged profile image71
                    sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

or handpick..

http://www.big-boards.com/

from popular forums.

I was to bored by forum posting to give it a fair trial. I outsourced for a bit but even my VA seemed to get bored, he was probably more bored after i fired him for failing to perform wink

Probably the very best way to find related forums is to simply be analyzing your competitions link structure, if you find a forum on their link profile, then grab a link from there for yourself.

Keep a spreadsheet of the forums you find and particpate in, try to stay active with the good ones that fir a niche you actually write in frequently. Its a great way to see what topics/products/news will be of interest to your target audience

2. Mikeydoes profile image41

THANKS!!!!!

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
                Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What subject are you looking for?  You may need to join several if you have various subjects to promote.

3. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

It is obvious... and he has explained it well.
    This isn't the case here... but if you use sites like Squidu etc. you will find out what he is talking about right? hmm

1. Peter Owen profile image61

thx - got it. I was confusing blogs with  forums.

2. profile image0
      andycoolposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Best backlinking strategy is no backlinking at all. That's the rule of the new era after Panda attack!

That's the Pandamental rule to success in the long run! wink

That's not true at all.

1. profile image0

I said in the long run... you'll understand gradually! smile
          More Pandas are coming... just try to improve your quality or you're finished in the long run. See how HP is taking care of quality contents now-a-days!

The Panda hit low quality content, it had nothing to do with backlinks.  Sites with a strict policy of no duplicate content actually rose after the update.

The Panda update hit the news simply because of its focus on duplicate content issues.  This hit two major groups

News websites, most of the major news networks syndicate content to each others websites. 

Sites which use large amounts of syndicated content from article directories.

The Panda update also hit on several other quality factors, but none more than duplicate content. 

YOu are right when you say that quality is important, it is a mantra I have stood by for a long time, but backlinks still is a huge part in SEO.

2. thisisoli profile image72

Completely false, if you look at any of the SEO strategy tests you can still see that backlinking is an essential part of any SEO strategy.

1. profile image0

High quality hubs automatically gather backlinks, I've written a few hubs in last one month, 50% of which are at the first pages (two or three are at the top) of the search pages. I've done no backlinking at all. You can check it out. Average and below average hubs need that kind of stuff.

Bit more competitive niches DO require the extra effort. WHile you can aquire natural backlinks, if you are going after a highly competitive phrase, your article will never see the light of day. 

If you can see that natural backlinks are helping you then it is a logical step to take that creating your own network of (high quality) backlinks is something that can help you gain an edge in a competitive market.

"If you can see that natural backlinks are helping you then it is a logical step to take that creating your own network of (high quality) backlinks is something that can help you"

Nothing more logical has ever been said (on this forum).

2. Susana S profile image90
            Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Depends what keywords you are competing on. If there is little or no competition you will get a first page result for a hub fairly quickly without any backlinks because the domain as a whole has well over 1 million.

If you're trying to compete in higher value niches you will need backlinks, because if you don't your work is unlikely to ever be seen in which case there is very little chance of it getting organic links.

EDIT: Sorry Oli you beat me to it!

1. profile image0

"Top 5 SEO Companies in USA", is it a competitive keyword or not? I've no idea... I'm not a very experienced person in the field of writing online. 

Type the aforesaid keyphrase in Google search box. One of my hubs will appear at the top that I wrote a week ago.

1. Susana S profile image90

It's not competitive at all - there are zero searches for that phrase globally.

If you wanted your hub to rank for "seo companies", "top seo companies" and/or "seo companies usa" you would need backlinks to beat the websites currently on page 1 of google's search results.

1. profile image0

Thanks Susana S for the info. smile

1. Susana S profile image90

You're welcome smile

that phrase has very little search traffic, and very little competiton.

3. Garrett Mickley profile image79

The hubs on hubpages that get the most traffic all have significant backlinks.

Competitive research will tell you that.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85

Where did you get that idea?

4. profile image49
    wasimkhan3posted 13 years ago

i am new hub pages may help to get a more visitor

1. profile image0

Write high quality hubs, and wait patiently. Do no backlinking... instead write a couple of hubs. smile

1. brandonhart100 profile image76
        brandonhart100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

andycool - you realize that Google says that a good way to draw traffic to your site IS to participate in forums, online communities, and link there right?

Read this thread on Getting Backlinks to your Hubs the Google way...

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/71203#post1550041
        From Google:

"If your site is rather new and still unknown, a good way marketing technique is to get involved in the community around your topic. Interact and contribute on forums and blogs. Just keep in mind to contribute in a positive way, rather than spamming or soliciting for your site. Just building a reputation can drive people to your site. And they will keep on visiting it and linking to it. If you offer long-lasting, unique and compelling content -- something that lets your expertise shine -- people will want to recommend it to others. Great content can serve this purpose as much as providing useful tools."

Don't expect your keywords to do well on here without at least one solid backlink.  Are there a few exceptions to this rule?  Yes, of course...

Here's another snippet from SEO Yoast:
        "The value of a link for the receiving page is determined in part by the topic of the page the link is on. A link from a page that has the same topic as the receiving page is of far more value than a link from a page about an entirely different topic."

If you want a valuable backlink don't just expect someone will put it out there for you... you need to go out and get it.

Thanks for this, I wanted to post this but couldn't find the exact quotes.

2. profile image0

Thanks a lot brandonhart100! I appreciate it. smile

2. Garrett Mickley profile image79

Write high quality hubs, and build high quality backlinks.  Post on Twitter and Facebook.  Be active in the community here and in other communities elsewhere that are related to your topics.

5. dandan594 profile image61
    dandan594posted 13 years ago

I agree with the above comments. Backlinking from high PR on topic blogs are also useful. But are a pain to find if you do not know a few tricks.

Also check out ping.fm and sign up for all of the sites listed and link with your social media and then hootsuite.

Danny

6. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I backlink at a lot of Social bookmarking websites..I used to do well off Shetoldme and Xomba also but they are no longer an option. I hardly ever see my Shetoldme posts ranking like they used to rank higher than my hubs.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I haven't backlinked for ages! I know Xomba stopped allowing posts with links, but what is happening with shetoldme?

7. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I go on Shetoldme occasionally but I have been experimenting with quicker backlinking resources ever since numerous sites began challenging me for my high ranking on my best hub. I think it must have around 1500 backlinks keeping it in 2nd spot on Google. lol.

8. DaNoblest profile image59
    DaNoblestposted 13 years ago

Does anyone know if backlinks with referral trackers in them are the same as the permalink or are they seen as separate and a bad idea while trying to build backlinks to my hubs?

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Trackers use a redirect, I believe one of the Paul's once said that it makes no difference.

Personally I don't know, sometimes I use referral trackers, sometimes I don't.

1. DaNoblest profile image59
        DaNoblestposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK thanks Ryan. Check your emails for Extractz logos and get back to me =P

Redirects do detract a little, especially since spammers found out that you could create  a backlink to domain.com/page, domain.com/page/ and domain.com/page/# 

Getting the value for three unique links off each article you write (Three links to domain.com/page/ would only register as one backlink).

Google fixed that loophole in several ways, and it did hurt redirects a little in the process.

9. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

test the above

buy cheap domain

send tons of crap link through 301 redirected domain to target/money site

repeat - bathe in the google love

301 redirects are still plenty tasty

10. Mikeydoes profile image41
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Well Marisa, that is a good point and thats what I kinda realized when I looked.. But I have so many hub topics, and honestly a lot of my hubs were testing, so pretty much all of my hubs I feel I could have done better on. Meaning I'm not sure what I want to get involved in forumwise. Most of my backlinking wouldn't be involved in most of my hubs. I'm really not sure which direction to go with publishing and backlinking, either way I need a couple forums to pretty much chat at. The only forum I am active at is here, and I would like another community or two like Hubpages.. I suppose... since I usually post in the hubber's hangout..

So, like hubber's hang out.. I figured a General discussion forum would be great for me. I looked at what a could, but really came up with nothing. I just never really landed anywhere. I really know what I'm looking for, but I dunno nothing turned me on, so I'm asking you if you have any forums, with signatures, that are easy to get involved in.. lol.

1. TerryGl profile image57
      TerryGlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You might want to join the Warrior forum. They allow signatures as well as providing a variety of topics you can enter into the discussions.

My best backlinking strategy is to use the rss feed in your profile. Submit the feed to as many as 100 aggregator sites and you will really start to see some amazing results.

Pinging works well as it forces many search engine bots to visit the link you have pinged. Have you ever heard of pinging a search result page on Google?

Hint, hint ... say no more.. wink

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

The thing is, if you want the most effective backlink, you need to be posting on a forum that's relevant to the topic. 

That is one of the problems of promoting Hubs, especially if you write on different topics.  It's much easier if you have your own website, because then you only have one thing to promote!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)