Historic Hittites

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (113 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

All too often the Bible is ridiculed as nonsense, and that it has ZERO historical value.

I don't believe that for one moment, but, so many people always ask for proof. Of course, when it's offered, it too is dismissed. But, here i go, yet again, trying. big_smile

The Hittites were inly ever mentioned in the Old Testament, but had no histaoric basis outside of that. Not until recently, that is.

Evidence:   http://www.specialtyinterests.net/hittites.html

Let me have it with both barrels! cool
    Tell me what nonsense this is, also!

1. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Over 60 excavation campaigns have been conducted but much work still needs to be done. While interesting finds were made, so far archaeologists were unable to find the royal tombs or the cemetery of Hattusha. Until these are found, there is a painful lack of confirmation of lengthy king lists touted to be accurate

So - from the lead you supply it says that the inflated and imaginary claims of some missionary in 1800+something that the tablets he saw represent the Hittite empire are still yet to be proven.   

Did you actually read this stuff before you put it up as some kind of support for your argument ?

1. dingdondingdon profile image61
        dingdondingdonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not only this, but some parts of the Bible being historically accurate doesn't make the entire document true. If I travel forward two thousand years into the future with a copy of Harry Potter and say, "Look, there's a train in this book! Just like there was in those days! As foretold in the Prophecy!" it doesn't mean wizards actually exist.

aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You hit the nail on the head.
          The question that comes to mind then, is,
          "just how much of it's historical accuracy needs to be validated, before the rest can be taken as fact, true, accurate, or reliable"?
          20%, 30%, 50%? I doubt there would be more than 50% of all it's contents that would fall in the category of verifiable via archaeology.

1. iantoPF profile image79
            iantoPFposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You make a good point. To put your percentages another way, What percentage of the Bible must be shown to be inaccurate before the whole thing could be shown as historically inaccurate; 80% 70% or 50% ?

2. fadedsnow profile image60
            fadedsnowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Even if 20-50% of material in the bible can be proven as authentic, you would still have 50-80% BS such as magic, zombies, and Gods. Harry Potter is a book with bona fide places written into the story line, does this mean it’s the genuine?

Please feel free to base your life and eternal destiny on Harry Potter.

I am quite content to base mine on the Bible!

1. getitrite profile image71
                getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no difference.  Both are equally absurd.  But feel free to desperately believe that your delusion is somehow superior to other fairytales. smile

Thank you for your permission. Not that I needed it, but it's nice to see you acknowledge my God given right to do just that.
                  I guess you don't need my permission to base your life on anything you want, so I won't waste my time.
                  Oh, and thanks for the ridicule. That helps our relationship immensely! hmm

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
                    Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

dj - if you don't want to be ridiculed - why start threads like this? Clearly - you did not know there are references to Hittites outside the bible, you did not even bother reading the article you linked to and then offered this as some sort of proof that the majik in the bible is true. sad

Ridiculous behavior dj. This is why you got ridiculed. It is ridiculous to suggest that an historic reference in the Bible some how proves the majik is true.

This is why your religion causes so many conflicts dj. sad

So in a nut shell, you believe in slavery, murder, sacrifices,  genocide, magic, zombies, God/s, talking animals, talking bushes,  and children eating bears O MY. Kudos for you!

I can't deny these things exist and they all happened.
                  Just by way of example, slavery is aive and "well" today. However, it's not we Christians who run or profit from them. These are usually criminals who are prosecuted when caught.
                  I believe in grace, mercy, peace, joy, eternal life, health, blessing, family, patience, forgiveness, and truth.
                  Yes, kudos for me, I guess.

1. fadedsnow profile image60

So you cherry pick the bible and take only the good?

What do you think you our to the character named God in the bible? You are to be a slave to him. Nothing more and nothing less. Christianity is a huge profit organization.

2. profile image0
          Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile

3. profile image51
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Bible is a mix; some parts of Bible could have a glimpse of truth in it but others are just manmade.

2. aka-dj profile image65

To be honest, I only skim read it.
        I was inspired by a TV documentary on the subject.
        But, after your challenge, I had a better read. I found that the existence of the Hittites is not in question, as you claim, but the lineage of the KINGs.
        So, my main OP point still stands.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are plenty of reports concerning the Hittites carved into stone in Egyptian temples. Ramses II, arguably the greatest of the pharaohs led a major campaign against them.

Why should I worry about whether or not to believe the Bible, when I can see the facts in carvings that have survived from the period in question?

3. Mark Knowles profile image58

LOLOLO

Dear me. So - you thought there was no mention of the Hittites outside the bible huh?

Now you know there are plenty of references to them - what does that mean to you?

Does this mean Jesus does not speak to you into your head any more? Seeing as you are not religious in any way shape or form. lol

4. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Museum of Anatolian Civilizations has a tremendous amount of artifacts regarding the Hittites. It also has a tremendous amount of artifacts from civilizations that existed thousands of years before them. *hint hint*

smile

5. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you believe the movies you watch are real life or historical facts? (not the documentary types but entertainment movies). Those settings are based partly on real facts as well...But they are still not real...The choice to believe the bible as 100% historical fact is on you...is there some good things in the bible...yes...but it was still written by poetic embellishing authors, not by some divine being...and before you say anything...all artistic things, to include books, paintings, songs are all "divinely" inspired...as in your mind and imagination creates them.

2. vector7 profile image59
    vector7posted 13 years ago

Nice post dj..

They still act like doubting in God is hard huh?

Wonder why they tempt people so?

Little tempters they are.. Tempt away little ones..

My house is on a rock. 

wink

1. Daniel Carter profile image61
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He said with arrogance and superiority....

3. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Dj

Be encouraged, 2/3rds of the Angels cheer you on smile and they dont shriek,spit or mock untelligently.

This is me big_smile big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Wow. Yet another conflict-filled thread started by a religionist who knows nothing of history or science. And you think there are angels cheering?

Little wonder your religion causes so many conflicts. sad

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Touch another nerve Mark hmm

Why dont you try loving people ,instead of fighting with them.

The you will feel all warm and fuzzy inside like me smile

3. Woman Of Courage profile image60
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wonderful thread dj. big_smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

It certainly is. It proves beyond a reasonable doubt that the bible is stolen content. I am surprised you noticed.

The Angels are cheering yet another battle started by a religionist who tells untruths? What an odd imagination you have. Shows why your religion causes so many wars though.

2. aka-dj profile image65

Thanks!
        smile

4. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 13 years ago

Dang !!  and I was hoping to get a glimpse of some hysterical hottites here !

5. superwags profile image65
    superwagsposted 13 years ago

If anyone's reading this from the Uk and interested; then get on iplayer and watch "The Bible's Buried Secrets" which discusses the Bible's interpretation of real events.

Some things in the bible are based loosely on what the authors observed around them, but the majority is myth. It's not really the authors' faults; they had to work to an agenda and had some pretty sketchy facts to go on with a lot of what they wrote - often where the things they noted took place hundreds of years before...

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I watched with great interest and believe what's-her-face raised some very good points on the probable spinning up of King David in episode 1 and the early polytheism of the Semitic people in episode 2. However the Garden of Eden argument was not well presented and not particularly convincing. Her whole argument was based upon similarities between Eden and some excavated remains of similar gardens, but she ignored all of the Hebrew text which did not agree with her. Sure it's hard to compress an alternative theory into an hour's programme, but it didn't sound like she was being objective.

1. superwags profile image65
        superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I agree that the last one did seem a little rushed and forced upon to audience. I don't disagree with her necessarily; I just felt that it wasn't presented particularly well.

You're right, that it is difficult to get through it in an hour and you are left with little way of reviewing the evidence for yourself (unless you have a degree in ancient hebrew and an annotated hebrew bible with you!) which makes me feel a little uncomfortable at times.

I think with regards to her style; she's essentially presenting as a polemic, or at least that's how I chose to view it.

6. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Is Bible a book of history?

I don't think so.

Of course you think so.

The Koran is your history book!

1. profile image51

Is Bible a book of history?

I don't think so

I don't think that Bible claims to be a book of history? If it does not claim to be a book of history; why should you claim it to be one?

Because It contains historic facts.

So does Harry Potter, what's your point?

2. profile image51

That does not make it a text book of history. Does it?

I didn't call it a history book, YOU did!

2. superwags profile image65
      superwagsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For your standpoint, it's probably worth bearing in mind that an awful lot of the koran is duplicated from the Torah/ Old testament...

1. vector7 profile image59
        vector7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes and yet the quran is still not scientifically accurate at all..

How'd they screw that up? Because it's not God inspired.

smile

7. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 13 years ago

So. mr faded snow
    did you read the list?
    I have to go to bed, so, I can't continue the debate.
    I see, after 25 minutes you have not responded. Surely that was long enough to read the above post.
    Catch ya another day. smile

Like I said, the Earth is still here. I can continue to post contradictions in the bible as you did but I would eventually obtain carpal tunnel syndrome from typing.

The only thing abolished at the cross was the ceremonial law, contained in ordinances. They were the sacrificial laws. After Christ's death, it was no longer necessary to sacrifice lambs at the Temple. But, after the death of Christ, Christians were still obligated to keep the moral law!

1. DoubleScorpion profile image78
        DoubleScorpionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here is something you might find interesting Fadedsnow. Read about John the Baptist. His message for forgiveness of sin was to be baptised and Jesus agreed with it. How did we go from animal sacrifice to water baptism back to an ultimate sacrifice that covered everything? And yet one is still baptised by fire? I wonder how the christians will explain this one?

Religion in its entirety is dumbfounded!

2. profile image51

Jesus was a Jew and was a follower of Moses and the Torah; he never aboulished or cancel it; it is Paul and the Church who cancelled it and misled the people; unauthorized, of course.

The bible is crystal clear, “cough”, that Jesus died to remove the sacrificial laws.

1. profile image51

Please quote from Jesus' words.

How deep down the water hole are we going? There isn’t any evidence of Jesus existence much less his writings.

Christ was a sin offering: Hebrews 10: 8-10, 12, 18. When Jesus died on the cross, it signified the end of the first covenant, the covenant consisting of the sacrificing of animals for atonement.

1. profile image51

fadedsnow wrote:
                "There isn’t any evidence of Jesus existence much less his writings."

that is correct! What's your point?

2. profile image51

Jesus did not die on the cross; human sacrifice was already abolished in the times of Abraham; so there was no core change with the advent of Jesus; Jesus followed religion of Moses .

Well actual there isn't any verification that he existed, much less died. Now if we are reading the fables in the bible, then yes the character Jesus died on the cross and with his death animal sacrifices were deleted.

1. profile image51

Jesus's existence does not depend on Bible or its fables.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)