Forget SEO Keywords & Content This Site Is Number 1 On Google

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)
  1. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

I am reading a free pdf at the moment titled SEO On Trial.

It talks about a site holding position 1 on Google without any content, seo or anything else.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=virtu … =firefox-a

The search term is - virtual personal your self - without quotes yourselffitness.com (PR4) and this site is number 1 out of 80 and a half million other sites and has been there for years.

Now when you see this type of thing, what chance do you think we have in finding our holy grail keyword?

Just a bit of fun I thought you would find amusing.

1. R-J-T profile image61
      R-J-Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just shows how much backlinks still mean for rankings. It has some nice backlinks from sites like wikipedia.

2. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The 80.5 million results is due to the amount of times those particular words are used in a webpage.

As a phrase that people search for, it is only 4 people a day. Probably due to people searching for it after reading SEO On Trial.

If the author is going to use such a search term as an example then I fear that they don't know much about SEO or keyword research and not worth listening to.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
        Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Couldn’t agree more. The problem is there is so much misleading garbage like this on the web which ultimately does more harm than good. There are some excellent SEO resources online like www.webmasterradio.fm and www.searchengineland.com etc. Anyone seeking SEO tips, these are the places to look.

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

??? How did it get backlinks from Wikipedia???

1. R-J-T profile image61

Anyone can post a link to Wikipedia. How the link has not been removed I don't know. I'm guessing the site once had good content on it but got removed.

3. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I signed up for a Wikipedia account because I thought I could slip some links to my stuff in on there but I don't want to waste time editing other peoples stuff..Im not sure how you write an article there.

@TerryGi, makes you wonder how Google's Algo works sometimes hmm

1. profile image0
      CollBposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, makes me wonder at times how Google's ranking system works.

Might be an idea to google it's ranking system smile

4. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

The e-book I was reading came to the conclusion that yes it is all about backlinking.

So basically, its all about backlinks and nothing else. That's what I took from this whole exercise and this listing actually proves the point.

Interesting ....

5. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

SEO has been about backlinking since Google released PageRank and every search engine followed with their own take on link analysis. It's been this way for years and nothing is about to change. However, you also need pages that convert if you want to make money. No matter how many links you have, rankings alone won’t convince anyone to buy, especially if the site looks amateurish and the content doesn’t scan well.

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Anybody can write a new wikipedia page. A friend of mine writes a lot of stuff for wikipedia and unbeknown to me, he tried to link my blog to it but they wouldn't have it.
    It does look as if it could be used for branding, although smile
    Yourselffitness sounds like a brand name, and so it seems possible it could get a wiki entry all on its own.
    Even if it is crap.

1. R-J-T profile image61

Yep, correct there Izzy Yourselffitness is a brand name for a computer game for the Playstation I think.

7. submitedgeclb profile image58
    submitedgeclbposted 13 years ago

Google is very serious about spamming. if you are not following the guideline given by google the you may banned by them. The content base link building is more useful then just putting link in single word. so i think people should generate contextual link to give benefit to your website and the site itself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)