Sausage and cabbage.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)
  1. steph47 profile image60
    steph47posted 13 years ago

I like to chop up cabbage and have any kind of sausage, bulk or link and put them in the crockpot; and add some spices, and a little sugar and about a cup of water and turn on high for about an hour, then turn on low. I cook this until the cabbage is tender, Stir occasionally.

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sausage is nothing but fat and fillers, cabbage needs 20 minutes, half an hour to become tender. Your dish is what? No nutritional value, just traditional "taste".  Everything about taste? -  NOT!!!
      Sorry to rain on your parade, could not help it. Vegetables should be cooked minimum time, sausage, well, if you are completely out of meat... add just a little of it and not very often.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yum!
      Except for the sausage.  I like the flavor of the sausage, just not the sausage itself.  I'm weird that way.  So I'd be picking the sausage out of the dish.  But the cabbage I totally love.
      And, whether it takes most of the nutrients out or not, I love cabbage boiled til tender, then fried in just a little oil til it's a mushy mess of wonderful taste!  smile

steph47posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The meat can be left out, add onions if preferred. It can be made with any knid of meat. I like to fry cabbage also. :}

3. profile image0
      zampanoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tried a limeric inspired on your excellent recipe :

Buy good sausage someday at the mart
      Carrots and cabbage for a hotpot start
      cook them real slow
      over warm fire glow
      At night under cover, celebrate with fart

hehehe

1. tritrain profile image70
        tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Geez. 

That made me smile.  ...and no it's wasn't gas.

2. profile image0

LOL
        LOve it!

3. steph47 profile image60

Love the comments ! But,,,gas is right.

4. cheapsk8chick profile image46
        cheapsk8chickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

AWEsome!  Too true, too true!

2. profile image0
    Mad Prophetposted 13 years ago

A delightful meal indeed.  Maybe you should write a hub on it!

Thank you. I think I will do that. Been looking for more to write about.

3. cheapsk8chick profile image46
    cheapsk8chickposted 13 years ago

I love that combination, too.  I love to make cabbage rolls and serve them up with breakfast sausage.  Soooo delicious.  I will certainly try the crockpot version with some hot links... thanks for the grand idea!

4. steph47 profile image60
    steph47posted 13 years ago

You are welcome.

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 13 years ago

I love white cabbage stewed with a very meaty sausage, onion, tomato, apples and spices.

I don't love food fascists.

1. profile image0

lol
      That cracked me up.
      I find myself in full agreement with you on this. big_smile

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, that must be a first!!!  http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/lol-052.GIF

2. cheapsk8chick profile image46

Sounds like a wonderful autumn dish!

And I hear food fascists make good sausage - maybe a little bland but then again, nothing a little sage couldn't cure... wink

6. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Bubble and squeak would be great with sausages smile
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Easy-Bubble-and-Squeak-Recipe  (not my hub, by the way!)

1. WriteAngled profile image74

Do you know, that's one thing I've never made!

Sausage was the enemy when I spent a few days in Lisbon with my daughters in February. It snuck into a bowl of bean stew that the waiter swore was vegan (elder daughter is a very committed vegan)...

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You've got to watch those continental sausages. They get everywhere!

Anyway for folks who aren't vegetarian or vegan and who like meat and stuff, Spanish sausage (chorizo) is lovely in a stew of chopped beef. Just gives it that little extra 'kick'.

Chorizo is normally just too spicy for me, though I'm a bit worried because just lately I have been developing a taste for it.
        Must be my age or something!

1. cheapsk8chick profile image46

I love chorizo, and love it stuffing.  Loads of chorizo and celery in the stuffing and everyone says an extra blessing because they think they're on their way to heaven...
          Chori Pollo is good too, with the kick of the sausage and the chicken together topped with a little queso and pico...   mmmm...

1. IzzyM profile image86

Haven't tried chicken sausage (which I suppose chori pollo is) queso = cheese - oh talking of cheese I love the soft cheese (the cheap version of Philadelphia) sold in Consum - pico? Not sure what that is. Something hot as in spicy hot? At my age we need to take these new foods slowly.  And there's me dreaming about a nice sausage roll or mutton pie with baked beans, not all this foreign stuff. smile

2. WriteAngled profile image74

When I lived in Nottingham before moving to Wild Wales, I went to a cooking demo at a Sainsburys. They made a dish which consisted of firm white fish (cod, hake, or similar) baked with onions, cherry tomatoes, olives and slices of chorizo. I was sceptical, but it turned out delicious.

Sigh, you can see I'm stuck trying to finish a translation by morning, so staying up all night and diverting into here when the German becomes incomprehensible due to tiredness!

1. IzzyM profile image86

You are up late! It almost 5am here, and I'm not doing translations or anything useful at all, come to that. I guess I just like the night hours!
            We've already had a power cut that blew the main light bulb in this room when the power came back on.
            Typical! Continentals can't do anything right - except for maybe making chorizos and nice fish dishes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)