Who will win the League, FA Cup, League Cup and the Champions League?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (43 posts)
  1. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 15 years ago

Manchester United, Manchester United, Manchester United & Manchester United.

2. joanym profile image60
    joanymposted 15 years ago

Chelsea all the way no more wining for man u

3. TravelMonkey profile image59

No chance, Chelsea are slipping down even behind Liverpool now. Problems off the pitch and with the manager do not set an optimistic future for their fans.

4. rambo87 profile image58
    rambo87posted 15 years ago

not Chelsea or Man U, I think now that Liverpool have been knocked out of the FA cup they will push on in the league, as long as Torres stays fit and Gerrard returns from injury as soon as possible!!

5. Kid_A profile image58
    Kid_Aposted 15 years ago

The league is Manu's to lose. I can't see them dropping many points in the remaining games and Liverpool are far too inconsistent to last the pace.

I think Chelsea might win the Champions league as they've realistically blown their chance of winning the title, with Spurs winning the League cup and Everton winning the FA Cup.

TravelMonkeyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It would be nice for Everton to win the FA Cup, they have deserved something for a while now. Spurs I think will not win the league cup, Utd can field the kids and still walk away with the League cup. The league is Uniteds, with another manager coming in for Chelsea, how can they ever settle down, Grant should have been appointed again as he came the closest to obtaining Abramovich's desire that is the champions league title.

6. Kid_A profile image58
    Kid_Aposted 15 years ago

United's kids almost came unstuck against Derby. I can see Harry and his players being really up for the league cup, as it is the only bit of silverware they can win this season. It'll also prove as a welcome distraction from their relegation worries.

7. TravelMonkey profile image59

I forgot to mention that we could walk away with all five trophies.

8. T. A. Northburg profile image62
    T. A. Northburgposted 15 years ago

Hull anyone?

9. T. A. Northburg profile image62
    T. A. Northburgposted 15 years ago

I just had to get that in because my wife is from Hull.

Really, I am for Man U all the way!

10. TravelMonkey profile image59

Hull started well but are now within reaching distance to the relegation zone. They have too many quality players and do not think they will be relegated, United looking strong again stretching to a five point lead a the top after cruising past Fulham.

11. calen profile image53
    calenposted 15 years ago

LIVERPOOL ALL THE WAY! now that liverpool have shown we can beat man u twice home and away an wer not far behind them if man u loose atleast 1 or 2 games we are deffo still inint so premiership an champions league come on redsss!!!

TravelMonkeyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Is this some kind of joke haha smile

Liverpool turned us over twice yes, but they will never make it three times in a season - impossible.

Liverpool will be knocked out by Chelsea and will win nothing this season, Rafa will leave and take Torres and Alonso to Real Madrid with him. Gerrard will either be in jail by then or will live out the remainder of his career in Liverpool not winning another medal regretting ever moving to Chelsea a few years ago.

1. Junkster profile image61
        Junksterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well Liverpool have just taken second out-right, as well as cemented a superior goal difference than anyone in the league.

Well after caning Real Madrid (like Man United) and the attitude Rafa took with the Spanish Media I don't think he's on their christmas card list now, also he's just signed a five year deal to make sure that everyone know's he's in this for the long haul, the players will rally round him to prove their dedication to the club, not just flash in the pan players who disappear off to europe/lower division clubs within a year or two.

The trumped up "celebrity" charges have been dropped and is now only guilty of affray, as would any other member of the public, he was victimised by some guy who thought if he lied and said a celebrity beat him up he'd be in line for a hefty payout, happens all the time in this compensation culture.   Although it certainly gave Everton fans something to sing about for a while.

Anyway back on topic:
        I think it will play out this way
        FA Cup: Mancheste rUnited
        League: Liverpool (If they continue storming form/Manchester continue to succumb to the pressure)
        Champion's League: Liverpool (again if continuing their form, potentially could come unstuck against united in the final though, since they've got the easier path to the final)  big_smile

12. TravelMonkey profile image59

Yeah I think I open my mouth a little too early sometimes. Liverpool are looking stronger, they really are but I still believe their team hasn't enough depth to make it all the way domestically and in Europe. If they want to stand a chance at silverware then they need to focus on just one of them.

13. Junkster profile image61
    Junksterposted 15 years ago

There's still plenty of decent players on the liverpool bench, sure there's no mega-bucks players paid to sit on the bench but there's been plenty of supporting players playing well recently: Dossena scoring two goals in Europe and in the Premiership, Aurelio the same, Hyypia proved he's still a world class defender against Man U the other week and at last minute notice too!

Hell, even Lucas hasn't been his usual shocking self (he must wash Rafa's car on the weekend to get such devotion from Rafa! lol)

But when everyone though Liverpool couldn't contend with United a few days after wolloping Real Madrid they managed to prove them wrong, without Alonso, without Arbeloa.

I think the difference between liverpool in this part of the season is that they are focussed on winning now, being at the top over xmas was nice, it helped make a statement that there's mor ethan one team eligible for the title and ever since they have had that place (deservingly) took off them they've been determined to get it back ever since, as for europe, even if liverpool were in relegation zone you can never question their drive when it comes to Europe, they've often been criticized for being too euro-centric and not worrying about their own domestic titles.

This year it's clear that they have a chance and have proved a lot of people wrong, even if they were to only win one or even neither titles then they've still had an amazing season and if the team were at 100% for the whole season they could have really had some bite, unfortunately there's been plenty of injuries and hopefully next year will bring even more quality players (not that Martin Keown look-a-like Gareth Barry for a start!)

It's been a slow rise and despite everyone ripping into liverpool they have been steadily improving, not fighting for fourth or fifth anymore!

14. TravelMonkey profile image59

Lucas obviously provides Rafa with an apple or some other daily gift to get a place in the starting line up, that or he produces magic at the training ground.

Transfer rumours have grown over Lennon and Barry, both of which would add great depth to the team. But with Barry coming in, it was predicted that Alonso would have to go and he has been their best player this season. I think Lennon has just signed a new 4 year contract which would piss on their bonfire.

Hopefully we will meet in the final of the champions league, last year i was sceptical of getting Liverpool but now i just want to beat them on the biggest stage in club football.

15. Junkster profile image61

There is an awful lot of rumours about who we'll bring in but aside form people like Robbie "It's my dream to play for liverpool" Keane most of the time the rumours are wrong.

Everyone's heard the Barry rumours but thanks to Martin O'Neill being a complete pain in the backside he sort of scuppered that possibility, even though he's now changed his tune.  Sticking with Villa there's been talk of Heskey coming back to Anfield but to be honest, he may have improved (can now take two steps without falling over) at Pompey but he's still not going to fit well with the new fast-paced attacking force liverpool have (Gerrard, Torres, Riera, Alonso)

I'd take Alonso over Barry any day of the week, I am concerned over how long he's going to be around for though.  Unlike people like Rafa and Gerrard when there's talk of him moving he doesn't seem massively commited.  I'm hoping he'll change his tune now that Rafa's signed on for another five years.

Essentially over the summer Benitez needs to look for a backup striker (jibbing Keane off and not providing a backup for Torres was a bit silly, still...glad to be rid of that waste of space!) a stronger back four could be acheived with some decent defenders not knocking Skrtel, Carra etc. but in order to cut down on these silly draws/goals off set peices then there need to be a bit more leadership like United and Chelsea have (and Arsenal used to have back in the Sol Campbell days)

In midfield as long as Lucas is not involved it can be pretty strong, I would like to see more of Dossena as I saw him at Anfield against Man City earlier in the year and he was getting great looks in but noone would play down the wing to him, if he was there to feed players like Riera or Gerrard and Torres then Liverpool would look a whole lot less predictable going forward (constanlty down the middle)

16. TravelMonkey profile image59

What a weekend of football. Highs and lows for both teams, United getting them in the favoured order I'd say. This is one the most exciting seasons in a long time.

17. Junkster profile image61

Indeed, much better than one team running away with it.  Bit concerned that we have our last game against that trecherous Robbie Keane, hopefully he plays as well as he did for us! haha

Also can't wait for tomorrow night to take revenge on the chelski!

18. TravelMonkey profile image59

That would be a dream finish to the season. Liverpool need to win their last game to secure the premier league title, Robbie Keane intercepts one of Gerrard's long balls mid air and scores the equalizer in the 92 minute - overhead volley from outside the box wink

Hopefully we would have won the title by Arsenal anyway.

That's assuming alot about the Irishman's skill in the premier league, much less than his international form from my experience.

Hopefully it carries on right up to the end, it'll keep Liverpool hungry and hopefully keep the pressure on Manchester which has spread to their Champion's league bid too now! lol

19. TravelMonkey profile image59

Yeah that was a bad night for us. I don't really want to say anything until its happened now lol. I'll post tomorrow.

20. BristolBoy profile image62
    BristolBoyposted 15 years ago

Well it looks like Manchester United are atrting to stutter.  By all accounts Aston Villa were extremely to lose on Sunday, and I think yesterday Manure deserved a draw, but nothing more as Porto played very well and as they now have the away goals I reckon Man Utd have a hard task ahead of them.

They deserved a 2-1 beating, gifted a goal by that gormless defender, even after that they didn't exactly switch the tables on Porto did they?

I'm hoping that liverpool keep a clean sheet tonight, not entirely impossible but then again we've got nothing to lose and everything to gain, if we drop out of the champions league we get added energy for the Title instead, at least we haven't been going round proclaiming the tile as ours for months.

I think that's where United's problem is to be fair to them: over-expectation, winning as much silverware as they did last year has put massiv epressure on them, this got all deflected on to Benitez for being rude enough to take the number one spot at the beginning of the year.  How people thought that was pressure on liverpool I don't know.

Man united are expected to win every year, losing out on one trophy is a failure in many of their fans eyes and that's a pretty sad state of affairs.

So much simpler with my favorite sport Basketball, one trophy, one goal, one winner.

21. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 15 years ago

League - Scum Man Utd

F A Cup - Everton

Champions League - Barca

1. profile image50
      badcompany99posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ok This treble will come to pass so get yer money on now.

1. profile image50
        badcompany99posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hope after Evertons win some of you backed the treble, I did tell you peeps !

Everton have been gifted a final place by an arrogant Scum United, other than the penalties they couldn't string anything together, I gave up watching and decided watching the grass grow was more entertaining.

Chelsea won't be as stupid, they'll play for the win and fair play to them, aside from all the diving and cheating of Drogba Chelsea are a decent team.  There's a good chance they could walk away with two of the trophies that the red sh*te thought belonged to them outright.

I'm sticking with my prediction, tempted to put a wee wager on it to be fair.

22. footynut profile image61
    footynutposted 15 years ago

I think it's safe to say that Liverpool won't be winning the Champions League this year! Barcelona have to be the favourites now after beating Bayern Munich 4-0 last night. Lionel Messi is without doubt the best player in the world at the moment.

I agree it's unlikely but then again no one thought liverpool would win it 3/4 years ago.  The thing is some very interesting points cover this game:  First of all Mascherano is back from suspension, possibly the most tenacious player on liverpool's squad along with Dirk Kuyt.  This also means there's a high chance that Benitez is going to go for Alonso and Mash in the midfield and no Lucas (HALLELUJAH!) as well as this we have a rested Steven Gerrard (and we proved we can still win by massive margins without him, proving all the "Liverpool are a one player team" doubters wrong!)

As well as this there's Torres who in my opinion if he has a stinker of a game or even a quiet one it can knock his confidence or let his head drop, after bagging two goals at the weekend I think he'll be raring to go tonight.

On Chelsea's side they have no John Terry through suspension, hopefully this can help break down Chelsea's defence which became unpenetrable after they threw all men in defence after their third goal.  It's still tough though as Gerrard found last week.

It's not impossible and Liverpool are not a team to roll over and die after being so far down after the first leg.  Plus with Liverpool playing at Stamford Bridge doesn't matter, we've played bigger clubs at far more intimidating venues/situations and still prevailed.  It's a long shot but I wouldn't count them out until the final whistle tonight...No own goals to gift them a final place this time! lol

Failing that, they're still playing brilliantly in the league and keeping the pressure on for 2nd place, maybe even 1st if we're lucky.

If we did go out I agree with many others that Barca deserve it this year.

23. TravelMonkey profile image59

Man U once again saved by the wonder kid that is Macheda. Any predictions on the champions league tonight?

24. footynut profile image61

I agree Junkster that Liverpool really did miss Mascherano in the 1st leg of the tie. Had he been playing I think the result may have been different. However, now that you are chasing the tie, Mascherano's return will not help a great deal in turning the tie around. Whilst Liverpool look less likely to concede when Mascherano is playing, he is a defensive player and is unlikely to make a major impact in an attacking sense. He does allow the other Liverpool midfielders more freedom to attack though so it should be an interesting game.

With Torres being in the form that he is and John Terry being suspended, Liverpool are certainly not without hope. It looks likely though that Carvalho will replace Terry. Carvalho is arguably better suited to marking Torres so this could also help in Chelsea's favour.

I certainly think Liverpool will give this a good go and it wouldn't surprise me if they drew or won by a single goal at Stamford Bridge. I don't see them doing enough to qualify though so it should be a Barcelona-Chelsea semi final. Lucky Chelsea!

Manchester United don't seem to be the same team as they were when they went a record number of games without conceding. This is mainly due to injuries to key defensive players. With the attacking players they have though it is impossible to count them out. I predict they will progress in the competition after beating Porto 2-1 or 2-0.

25. accofranco profile image79
    accofrancoposted 15 years ago

Its high time Chelsea the blues should take this crown for once in history of UEFA, Ibrahimovic and Guuz Vidink deserve it this time,no way for Man U,no way for Ronaldo!

Ibrahimovic?!!!?!
      Guuz Vidink?!?!

Who are these guys? They sure don't play for Chelski or in Vidink's case, EXIST! lol

Probably best to read up on the Chelsea players/managers before "choosing" to support them.  lol lol lol

26. Junkster profile image61

Pssht! Mascherano not defensive? He's probably the most tenacious midfielder around!  Doesn't lose the ball and stand dumbfounded like Ronaldo!  He wins it back!

It was a great game of football last night despite us being on the losing end of it.  I was on tenderhooks all game, Liverpool sure know how to let teams know that they aren't beat.  You always get a fight.  Just think if we had key players like Mash in the first leg and Gerrard in the second I think we could've kept the pressure on, not just the first half.

I was glad to see chelsea playing with some drive in the second half even after they put us 2 goals behind, it was all out attacks both ends of the field and made for great viewing regardless of which team you supported.

I still can't stand the cheating mentality of Drogba, taking swandives left and right.  One particular occaswion he fell out of bounds and was rolling around, so everyone played on becuase he was outside the boundary, so what does he do? gets up on to the pitch and promptly falls down again.

He's a big guy so it makes it all the more ridiculous when a midget like Mascherano can muscle him off the ball.  Too many times they were given free kicks for olympic standard dives just to the right of the centre of goal, outside of the box.  got ridiculous at one point.  Alex's goal was inevitable given the ammount of calls they got.

But don't want to sound like a Scum United fan complaining about the calls, not a lot of referees would've given us that clear penalty, especially in some other stadiums in the country!

Overall I have no complaints and wish Chelsea well, it could well be their year if they could just keep players from being injured/suspended, cut out all the diving and go at teams in the first half, not just the second and they'll do well.

But I'm afraid we've seen the last of any exciting game slike that for one year.  Hopefully Porto do the business tonight, and keep that home record!

27. Junkster profile image61

I think I'll change my predictions for the three cups:
    League: not united
    Champions league: not united
    FA Cup: not United!

hahaha

28. TravelMonkey profile image59

'Mash' had a cracking game last night and has performed very well for you all season. The commentator stated that he had committed the most fouls in the Champions League this season. Alonso has also been one of your best players this season.

Chelsea do look good, even though they have conceded 7 in their last two home games. You can never write them off in any of the competitions and we can't forget, they too are still on for the treble.

29. footynut profile image61

Guuz Vidink?! Haha.

It was a good solid performance from Man Utd last night. They looked a different team with Rio Ferdinand playing...I think his return could be key if United want to continue in their quest for the league, fa cup and champions league.

Both champions league semi finals could go either way. Arsenal are as good as anyone on their day and certainly have the players to cause united problems. They have a few injuries at the moment so I think a lot will depend on who they have missing in the 2 legs. I would still expect united to go through but it certainly won't be easy.

The other semi final is also very close. Whilst Barcelona appear to be clear favourites, Chelsea are a very solid team and will prove difficult to beat. I think Barcelona will progress but it will be very tight I think.

Once again there are 3 English teams in the semi finals which is a great achievement. I think it shows once again that the Prmeier League is the strongest league in the world.

Chelsea will be a walk in the park for Barca if they could just pile on the pressure in the first half to get early goals, then don't let them flip it on them in the second half.

That's the only mistake Liverpool made, aside from having some key players missing, if Barca can stop htem building anything or letting them get their freekicks from their favorite spot (here's a clue, a few yards back form the edge of the box and then a few to the right)  their players falll like dominoes in that zone.

Go on Barca, make Guuz Vidink cry!

30. Junkster profile image61

Yet again, I'll make another change to my prediction, although my previous one is coming true (FA Cup: Not united) big_smile:

FA cup - Chelsea
    League - Liverpool (maybe...)
    Champion's league - Barca/Chelsea

I only say chelsea in the champions league as they are a team who play their full strength squad for nearly every game, none of this "play a bunch of schoolboys" arrogance exemplified by "sir" alex this weekend.

31. TravelMonkey profile image59

United didn't show the competition enough respect by playing their youth team. We played a stronger team in the Carling Cup games for crying out loud, it serves us right in my eyes although Fergie would be hailed a master if he would have pulled it off.

I don't predict Liverpool winning anything this season.

There's nowt masterful about old Taggart!  No other manager not Wenger, not Benitez would have shown the arrogance to field a joke team like they did on sunday, they're clearly saving their side for tonight's game as they have to keep the pressure on liverpool in the league (admittedly not as tough after last night's draw)

I loved how he had the cheek to make a fuss about a non-incident, Rafa apparently rubbing Sam (Head like a cow) Allerdyce's nose in it last week...I've seen Rafa make the same gesture in nearly every match, just because it was after a goal doesn't mean he's blowing raspberries at the opposing manager!

I get the feeling "sir" alex spending his whole time watching liverpool games with the cameras trained on Benitez, waiting for him to make one slight move that he can twist into something he can orchestrate the papers into an uproar over.

Benitez was the same in January and look at the furore that resulted after that (not to mention the red's form! sad ), if we're all truthful the teams managers should just do their job and not nit-pick at each other and spend more time learning from their own mistakes.

also, what's going on with those daft car seats at old trafford?!  The players can't be without their flash cars for long enough to sit on the bench or something? daft

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)