How can you tell your pet loves you?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Doshndollars profile image59
    Doshndollarsposted 13 years ago

I have often wondered, how you can tell if your pet loves you? or is it simply a matter of a strager feeding them well and the pet changingig alliance to the the new master.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

dogs are very loyal of course, they lick you, bow their heads when they see you, plus wag their tail as well -- LOL

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
        dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

licking hand, bowed head, tail wag, indicitive of submissive behavior, recognising you as dominant, can also indicate abuse! (I know you do not abuse animals, nothing meant at you)

not sure about love though; could be   smile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image61
          prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Could be, we are not allowed anymore to take care of dogs here! I saw some dogs like that. I used to have loads of them, a family, my sister takes care of them now. I will get them soon when I move to a final place, hopefully!

2. Lucky Cats profile image81
      Lucky Catsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My cat climbs on my lap when I'm reading or watching tv..she places her front paws on my shoulder and her head beneath my chin...she can be this way for hours.  She rubs her face against mine and looks up w/love in her eyes.  She's not hungry, not trying to mate (spayed)...she is loving.

3. profile image52
      ForYourInfoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pets give love in return always.
      You give love. It will love in return.

2. SKCandles profile image74
    SKCandlesposted 13 years ago

its behaviour.  my cats like to rub up against me or lay on me.  I think that is a sign they like me, or maybe its just that I am warm.. lol

3. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

he humps my leg like I was a bottle of gin and he was Charlie Sheen

1. Maria Cecilia profile image84
      Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHA  you never failed to make me laugh

4. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

Ours smile and wag their tails.

5. allbreeds profile image58
    allbreedsposted 13 years ago

Im sorry to say but pets dont love.People think they do because pets have been humanized. They have no emotion only drives.

1. cindi h profile image61
      cindi hposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I totally disagree:)  The way humans and animals equate love may be very different, but I do believe that animals are capable of 'love'. To quote a famous president, "It all depends on what the definition of love is". If people greeted you with such enthusiasm and excitement every time they saw you like they hadn't seen you in years, even if it was only ten minutes ago, I would call that love.. If someone comforted you when you were sad or sick and kissed you continuously, I'd call that love.. If someone followed you around and always wanted to be near you, well I might call the police.. but you get the idea?

My family went on a vacation for a week and we had a friend stay at the house to take care of our dog. Our friend reported that he would not eat and he just laid around, he would whimper and whine throughout the day and sit at the window watching the street. She actually said he looked sad. She tried to play with him and she was feeding him but he was not very responsive. If that's not some form of love, I don't know what is.

1. Maria Cecilia profile image84
        Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you...  My dog Peso did not eat for 3 days when I went to Singapore and I had to leave him to his vet so that they can monitor him and his health (he survived six surgeries perineal hernia that is why I am very careful). If they only longs for food, the vet clinic can provide him more because I paid for it, but he only ate when I arrived.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

Love is the wrong word BUT when a dog comes and sit besides you - not for a treat or food or a walk, but just because they want to be next to you - it's good enough for me.

7. finatics profile image77
    finaticsposted 13 years ago

How come you guys are so sure that pets can't love? Animals have much more intelligence and reason than we credit them for. Look at Culum Brown's research on fish intelligence smile

1. Lucky Cats profile image81
      Lucky Catsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, finatics.   Maybe the problem is that we 'created' and defined the idea of love and our definition could possibly be limited by our own limitations and inability to love unconditionally or without mucking it  up.

8. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

...as much as I want to beleive that my cats  or dogs loved me,I have to be pragmatic and point out ,that if you were to die in the house alone with your pets, they would start to eat your body.Is that love?hmm
    This has been reported on many occasions on the news...

9. johncimble profile image52
    johncimbleposted 13 years ago

You can see it from their behavior towards you and I think be the look of their eyes as cheesy as that sounds. Of course animals are different, I think its hard to get get a cat to really love you if you're not the one feeding it ^_^ however I had a cat that my mum use to feed that loved me I believe.

10. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

Well they are with me through thick and thin, they wanted to be with me no matter how bad I look, or smell(LOL), they are sensitive to me when I am feeling bad. Stay with me when I am sick, they look at me as if waiting for my next move... I can feel how happy they are when I won't need to leave home for work.

11. allbreeds profile image58
    allbreedsposted 13 years ago

Just by some of the comments people have humanized dogs.They cant love ,you cant hurt their feelings.The "look"one sees in their eyes is the for a better word is expectation.The owner then puts an emotion to that look.Whether it be "he looks sad" "looks like hes hungry" or "he has that look of love for me in his eyes"
    Its all in an owners perception.
    The dog is expecting "something"
    A dog is a dog is a dog.

12. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

I still believe dogs love their humans... I guess everybody here have experience how their dogs became sensitive to them when they are not feeling well, it's like just wanting to sit beside you or walk without without asking for a treat... I am very sorry for those who haven't experienced it.

13. Tom The Cat profile image58
    Tom The Catposted 13 years ago

Amazing!

None of you really understand pets and animals at all!

You wouldn't know the truth if it sprayed all over your Nikes! lol

14. allbreeds profile image58
    allbreedsposted 12 years ago

Animals appear to love you.Its your perception.Its proven that if a different person eg neighbour or vet gives the same amount of time and effort to your dog that dog will "love "that person the same amount.Dogs will only "love" someone for the reward it gets .No reward no "love" I never pat my dog for no reason so hence he wont come to me with those "puppy dog eyes" expecting one.Whereas people who think that dogs love them will pat them because the dog comes to them nuzzles them "lovingly" lays on them or wants to lay on their laps.The dog doesnt love them the dog knows if he does that he will get a pat.
    Dogs do things for a reward not for love.
    Plus if you say a dog is capable of love then it must have other emotions?? Can you hurt a dogs feelings?.Try telling a dog its ugly or you dont love it what does it do ?? get upset NO smile.So one cant say a dog can love but disregard other emotions that dont appear.And please dont suggest pain or fear as they are naturally there for survival.

1. SandyMcCollum profile image64
      SandyMcCollumposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Spoken like someone who's never had a dog he loved.

Dogs love. And not only for food. When I broke my nose, arm and leg, my dog stayed at my side the entire time. There was no reward in that for him.

You shouldn't try to convince people of things you know nothing about. Maybe you can train them, but you've never known one closely.

15. allbreeds profile image58
    allbreedsposted 12 years ago

"According to Fred Metzger, a guest lecturer in animal sciences at Penn State and a State College veterinarian, "Dogs probably don't feel love in the typical way humans do. Dogs make investments in human beings because it works for them. They stand something to gain from putting so-called emotions out there. The more 'cute factor' they give us, the more we feel like they love us. This makes it more likely that we will give them more attention, food treats, outdoor access -- all based on how much of a show they put on for us." Metzger theorized that dogs "love" us as long as we continue to reward their tricks and antics with treats and attention."
    Just not me being a "lowly dog trainer"
    And yes i love my dogs. but thats not the question is it? its if dogs love you?.
    Who fed the dog all the time he was by your side? And how long was it for?
    Im only putting my opinion across.And know nothing about?... thats your opinion

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cats and dogs are different but so are people. Some people are not capable of human emotions even if you beat them with a dirty stick! Animals (cats and dogs) are capable of expressing love, compassion, hatred, friendship, strong attachment, loyalty and devotion to the point of self destruction.  Yes, not all of them, not always, sometimes you have to look at them closely to see the signs, sometimes it is very noticeable.
      I saw cats that were very unhappy with their owners. When my older son found our cat, I've never seen anybody so distressed and upset and desperate as she was. She is old now but when she was younger she would always prefer company of my son though I fed her. She would eat anything he gave her even sunflower seeds and would clearly love his company, though my other cat is scared of him, because my son is very rough and tough with everything and everybody.
      When we took this other cat from shelter, we wanted a small kitten but we took this grown up male because he was sitting in his cage, literally crying(meowing) and wiping his eyes with his paw!!! We just could not stand this and paid $100 for this stupid desperate cat! He still does not trust us after 8 years with us. And my other cat -she hates his guts!

16. Arthur Fontes profile image75
    Arthur Fontesposted 12 years ago

I do not feed my dogs, the wife does. Yet my dogs are always next to me, on me, around me. 

My GSD checks on me while I am sleeping and wakes me if I am weezing (asthma).

I have no doubt in my mind that the affection shown to me by my dogs could only be described as love.

17. Thelma Alberts profile image90
    Thelma Albertsposted 12 years ago

I can tell that my dog Angus loves me for he is happy when I´m around. He always wanted to sit on my lap even to sleep near my bed if I allow him. When I´m away for a few hours, his smiling and jumping around me and even give me an "up here" signs with his feet when I´m back. A lovely dog, he is...

18. MrsHernandez profile image59
    MrsHernandezposted 12 years ago

Your pet loves you if: He greet you when you come home, he shakes his tail and go crazy when he sees you, he sleep next to your bed even thou he has his own bed, he wakes you up every morning,cries when you leave home, protect you from others, and knows when you are sick!

19. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 12 years ago

Majority of people who love dogs can say dogs can do love, however some doglovers tried to be different and unconsciously tried to show they are better doglovers or they know more than ordinary persons who has a dog. These are the common traits of those doglovers who read books about dogs too much... most of those who claimed they love dogs and read books about dogs written by a particular personality, have common traits, and that is by insisting we dog lovers humanized our dogs....they also insist discipline and not spoiling... but you see the most important thing is we take care of our dogs, and unconsciously minimize animal cruelty in the world. Meaning at the end of the day I still believe animals are capable of loving..... yes pets like dogs love you and if you truly love them you will know..

20. cindi h profile image61
    cindi hposted 12 years ago

This question brings to mind the incredible true story of 'Hachi'
    It's the story of a man in japan who found a dog at the train station. He takes the dog home and ends up keeping him. The man travels by train to and from work every day, he is a professor at a college. All throughout his life with the dog the man tries to teach him to fetch and the dog will not do it. A Japanese colleague who is familiar with the breed tells him that the dog will not fetch simply to please his master, he has to have a very good reason. One day the man is leaving for work and the dog goes ballistic, He chases the man to the train station with a ball in his mouth to play fetch, but the man leaves for work anyways. While at work he has a heart attack and dies and never comes home again. For 10 years that dog shows up at the train station at the same time every day waiting for the man. It is a truly amazing movie, again, based on a true story of a dogs love and devotion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)