Define Love

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (46 posts)
  1. austinlyan profile image61
    austinlyanposted 13 years ago

What is love? Let's talk about love among humans.

1. speedbird profile image61
      speedbirdposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love is  to derive or receive pleasure from; get enjoyment from; take pleasure in other human beings smile

1. Twilight Lawns profile image72
        Twilight Lawnsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love is when one is ready to give support and affection and pleasure to another person or another entity outside one's self.
        True love is not expecting a reciprocal arrangement.

2. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...the only "REAL" love you'll ever know is the love you feel when your children are born!
      It won't have to be defined!
      Qwark

Therefore you are saying that anybody who has not had children is not capable of receiving or giving love.
        How selfish and narrow.

1. qwark profile image59

Hahaha...   
          Evidently you are childless.
          I can understand your uneducated and inexperienced answer.
          Shallow? Narrow?
          I think your response fits those 2 words perfectly.
          Qwark

I am not childless, and as we are discussing my lack of education, may I point out, my illiterate friend that the word you are searching for is not "your" but "you're".
            What you wrote was the possessive pronoun, "your",,, I think you meant the abbreviation, "you're". (Meaning "you are")

1. qwark profile image59

Hahahaha...love it!
              Not at all my "illiterate" compadre   smile:

My use of the word "your" was exactly right.

"...the only "REAL" love you'll ever know is the love you feel when your children are born!
              It won't have to be defined!"

If you didn't understand the depth of meaning and content in that response, I suggest you try to gain a greater level of sophistication in your life.

There is only 1 true definition of love! I expessed it concisely above.  smile:

Qwark

2. Extinct Soul profile image60
              Extinct Soulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think he is right in using the "your".....read it again..smile
              he is pertaining to 'your' answer. he just added an adjective - 'uneducated and inexperienced' to describe your answer......and not you..

but yeah I don't agree with "his" only 1 true definition of love..smile

1. qwark profile image59

Soul:
                Hi.
                Pls, can ya give me an experience of "love" that is stronger, truer and more "real," than the love you feel for your child at birth and, which continues on thru life?
                If you haven't experienced it, you couldn't offer a credible response.
                Qwark

1. Extinct Soul profile image60
                  Extinct Soulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Qwark:

I'm too young to have a child. And I can't offer you a constant answer that would come from my own experience. smile I agree with what you've said, and I do get your point. I'm just having a problem in your use of the "only" word.
                  It's just that, for me, meaning of things differs from place, time and situation. Maybe in your point of view, it is the only definition of true love. However, you are just 1 of the zillion unique homo sapiens in this planet, yeah maybe there are 100 to 200 individuals that have the same experience like you do, but that would just sum up with 10% of the worlds' population.  And that 90% left to have their own definition of love based on their...(for your brains' easy digestion)...ahm...intellectual ability.

I'm fascinated on the fact that you still want to hear an answer from me even though you are very sure to yourself that my answer would not be a credible one. smile

Extinct Soul

1. qwark profile image59

Soul:
                    Good attitude. I "loved" the way you responded i.e. thoughtfully respectfully. TY.
                    There is no other answer. At least not to a sane and normal human being.
                    You can use the word 'love" expressively for so many things: I love my Mom, my Dad, I love football, orange juice, p-nut butter and chocolate, country... on and on infinitum. The closest you will come to "true love" for your "child" is love for a parent. Every other use of the word "love" is just expressive for an attraction.
                    I would give my life to save the life of my child. For a mother or a father? Eh, maybe, maybe not.
                    There are so many connotations of the word love and they are used so frequently for so many "feelings" about so many things, that they, in the main, can only be thought of as being a colloquial expression of emotion or feeling.
                    The reason I'm so sure that you cannot respond credibly is because you haven't experienced child birth.
                    someday, when you do, I want you to remember how Qwark defined "true love."   smile:
                    Qwark

2. Twilight Lawns profile image72

He is right.  How embarrassing... I am so up my own arse at times,
                I ought to be a bit more careful when I think I'm right.
                As I said, "Oops!"

2. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I get it Qwark, your definition of Love isn't based on words but feeling, and the strongest possible feeling of Love is when you experience the birth of your child.  I like that. smile  It puts men and women in the same boat since only women can experience a physical birth, but men go through an experience of some kind themselves.

1. qwark profile image59

RAf:
          TY!
          I went thru a very profound and life changing experience when my son was born that educated me instantly to the definition/meaning of "love." It was the only "real" love I've ever felt in my life!
          I know you know what I mean!
          Appreciate ya Raf!   smile:
          Qwark

1. Davorunner profile image73
            Davorunnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just want to say I agree AND disagree with you Qwark. As always, your views are interesting, intelligent, and quite strong, but I'd just like to add my spin on this, if that is ok with you tongue

As you pointed out "love" can be expressive of many things, and yet there are also many different types of love.
            The thing is we get our word "love" from the Greeks, and they have 6 different versions of the word, all with different meanings, which we translate into our one. Thus, just like having to give a yes or no answer to a very comples subject with many different sides, it's a word that is there to "do the job" in place of many other words. This makes it versatile, and yet at the same time very inadequate in a lot of situations.

In other words there is no "only" kind of love because of this method of translation.

1. qwark profile image59

G'mornin' Davo:

I don't mind at all, in fact I always welcome responses.

"Love" is but a word we humans invented to express a variety of predilections, affections etc.. Most of us have experienced every facet of those definitions but 1: childbirth!

I accept all human definitions of love defined in all languages.

If I remember correctly, the question had to do with  "true" love.

I can only consider the most profound and deepest definition of "love" as being that which I experienced when my son was born and that "love" that is indelibly imprinted into the very essence of ME!  It is a "true" love for "blood"  progeny that overrides the preciousness of life itself!

All other definitions of love pale in dynamic power to the love  one experiences when ones just born child is delivered and is handed to the Daddy or Mamma.
              One look into those precious, new, living eyes and a loving bond is realized that will last until life has passed.

That is "TRUE LOVE!"

Qwark

1. Davorunner profile image73
                Davorunnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good to here from you again Qwark!
                "True" love, I believe is something that changes you for good. The fact that you have mentioned your son being born having an impact on you shows that it meant a lot to you, and that it will indeed last!
                Thanks for your time, it's good to read meaningful and inspirational answers such as these!

1. qwark profile image59

Davo:
                  My response was from the heart!
                  It's a definition of "true" love that can only be experienced by a Mom and Dad.
                  Good chatting with ya.
                  Qwark

3. carolp profile image79
      carolpposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have written a hub about When Love Begins - True Love....

2. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Love is the only thing that can exist in a vacuum

austinlyanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice

2. David 470 profile image83
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. Twilight Lawns profile image72

Nothing can exist in a vacuum... especially love, as love is an emotion and love needs a living entity to experience it.

3. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

If I could define love, I'd be the richest woman in the world.  It is indefinable, universal, non-selective, conscious.  It is not an emotion, has no price, gives and receives while remaining level and constant, is pure, unfailing, never ends, is with us always whether we recognize it or not.  It is free to everyone, can be given or received but cannot be forcefully taken.  It is not a combination of feelings but a decision, an awareness, the highest measurable human energy frequency.

Very nice!

2. SheZoe profile image69
      SheZoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Couture: very nice! i think that may be the best description i've seen

3. evvy_09 profile image61
      evvy_09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree with SheZoe.  Best love description I have read too.

4. Twilight Lawns profile image72

Love is not a decision, it is involuntary.  love us subjective and objective; no more so than the antithesis of love, whatever that may be... and that need not necessarily be hat, as hate is a closer relation to love than most emotions.

5. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer!

(of course, though, it's not preventing me from tackling my own big_smile )

4. matherese profile image61
    mathereseposted 13 years ago

There are different types of love: agape love, filia love, romantic love , love between siblings and more which one do you refer to?

Hi, you are right... It is no easy to discuss in detail. So we can talk about love among human beings- Philio love, Eros love, Love for siblings.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
        couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Though there are many 'subcategories' of love, love is love.  The face of love may change, but love itself never does.  Is familial love born from a sense of duty or a co-mingling of DNA?  Is romantic love a chemical connection or a memory-recognition of soul mates?  What about self love?  Does it / can it truly exist?

Nice! I think self love can exist. I have met women who always said that they loved themselves.

1. Walt Smith profile image60
            Walt Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think we've dated some of the same women. smile lol

2. Twilight Lawns profile image72

Basically those women are saying that they  love the persona that they are presenting to others so that they can attract love or whatever they perceive as love.

5. dianne143 profile image41
    dianne143posted 13 years ago

LOve is the means of survival

6. profile image0
    Marge42posted 13 years ago

I define love as the love we receive from our higher power. smile

7. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Love, in its purest form, defies a literal cognitive definition.  There is no logic to love, no debate, no determination, no control, no thought, and no possible way to exist without.  In order to put the proper words in place, to describe Love, one must first understand that Love can only exist because of, and within, the nature of humanity.  Humanity, then, can only exist because of, and within the realms of, Love.

In other words - Love is the balance of, and harmony between, give and take within the natural realm of humanity.

8. andydup profile image60
    andydupposted 13 years ago

As a father to an abducted son, I want to say this. The word love is very easily used in this modern time that we live in. I love my wife and my son dearly and this love was not able to help my son with parental abduction. So my definition of love was very different to my wife's. If I look back at people who have had fantastic long marriages and when I asked what kept them together all these years was it love? Most people answered me yes, but at the same time said they were best friends! makes you think.

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I see love as a doing thing and wrote a hub about it. smile

10. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 13 years ago

Love is probably the strongest inner thoughts a person might feel....I think its not possible for anyone to live  without love

11. Joe Sunday profile image61
    Joe Sundayposted 13 years ago

In the first place are you talking about true love or cupboard love? well, if you're refering to true love here is the definition: True love is a spirit. It's place of abode amongst mortals is their heart. Love influences and can also be influenced. Love is not a feeling. like is! when the spirit of love comes upon an individual he or she thinks, speaks and  acts towards the object of his or her love,so as to make the recipient experience the ecstatic dimensions of life and existent. The spirit of love can be likened to a seed in the hand of mortals,it's gains are multiplied back into their lives only when it is sown into someone's life. The seeds of love never dies in the soil. A true lover may not receive his or her harvest from the loved, but surely he or she must reap in the future. That's why anyone that truely love, never loses because love is God.

12. Midnight Oil profile image82
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

All you need is love - love is all you need....  In the world of opposites, if you don't hate it, then you must love it.

13. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image35
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 13 years ago

love just "is". to experience love is to have a instantaneous complimentary balance of opposites. you are "charge free" and emotions are totally balanced. you emotions are created to tell you that you are out of balance. that is a "charge". when others reflect back to you the crap about yourself you have not loved yet, welcome to life and the true "law of atraction". everything in the universe we know is made from light waves. all light waves have both half positive and half negative complimentary balanced. all of life is "frozen light" in quantum. you are love, so are the haters. smile Dr. Mike

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)