If God has absolute power, is God absolutely corrupt?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (36 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Andrew Hawkleyposted 15 years ago

I don't think absolute power is even a technical possibility but if it is does that make God absolutely corrupt?

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Can you please define what you mean by "power"?

2. mohamedhmm profile image59
      mohamedhmmposted 15 years agoin reply to this

i think your mind is corrupt...
      are you talking about God like that!!!

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mohamed, if you did not know, this is called personal attack and will get you banned if repeated enough times smile

Andrew, and what is wrong with corruption? It's built into the system. Show the God your love, and he will reward you, pretty much straight forward in any religion; starting with outright paganism smile

1. mohamedhmm profile image59

you answer me or you answer yourself!
          when someone say god is corrupt; it's ok for you?!!!!!
          i think you have issues!!!!

2. Choke Frantic profile image70
          Choke Franticposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good old Misha, modding the forums again ;]

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Misha is a fixture on hubpages, and has a lot of fans and followers , I would wait a while before serving it up to him if I were you.

3. RKHenry profile image63
      RKHenryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I just wanted to say this, that here in the religious forum some really good, terrible, ridiculous, crazy, nonsense, & brilliant questions are asked in this forum.  But hey, whatever they are, they're always entertaining.smile

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
        GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Such an interesting question. big_smile

I find it suspect that any known creator with the supposed power to perceive all that was and will come before would either a)be egostical or b) be really freaking bored.

G|M

4. profile image0
      Writer Riderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No. God is love in its entirety so he can't possibly, in my opinion. Quite the opposite.

If god is love, why are the religious tomes full of hate and vengeance.

1. profile image0

Because God is not religion. Religion is a path to God, and not all religious people are full of hate and vengeance, but those that do miss the biggest point of all in my opinion.

From what I have read, god is full of hate and believes in vengeance and killing. My source is Bible and Quoran amongst others.

2. profile image0

You define God's power, you're the Christian.

1. profile image0

So you are saying you really don't know right?  So why would you even ask the question?  I asked you a simple question about your question.  If you really want some sort of answer then you would have to define what you mean by "power".

3. profile image0

The power to walk, the power to run, the power to fly. These are all different types of power. What is absolute power? If god has absolute power he must have the power to die, yet he is allegedly immortal.

1. profile image0

LOL- He also has the power to resurrect. So apparently in His absolute power He already died and came back.  big_smile  lol

Anyways, God being Absolute doesn't really translate well to what we can think of because well... like you said, you don't know that it is technically a possibility. 

God is Absolute in that there isn't anything before it or after it...whatever it actually is. In the Unseen, it is just easier to say, the Holy Spirit. 

Or you could say that just being alive is corrupt because it comes with death.  Sucks but what can you do about it?  big_smile

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Mohamed, the mere amount of exclamation marks shows that you have issues, not me smile

And yes, it is perfectly OK with me, and trust me, with God too. Just read your holy book and think about offerings and prayers. Isn't this "you pay me (with offerings and prayers), and I do something for you" thing? I believe this is called corruption smile

1. mohamedhmm profile image59

what do you know about my holy book?

2. profile image0

Is this really what you think Misha?  It says a lot about regular charity, prayers... You know it even says that you do not have to follow any religion, that you can study it yourself, that if someone tells you that you must do such and such a thing, then be careful of them.

It even says things about how Christians, Jews and some other sect that I have never even heard of before... being acceptable that it isn't about "religion" it is about God and doing good.

It talks about a lot of things and a lot of it isn't anything like what people have said.  This I had to figure out for myself and read it myself instead of getting second hand information which made me afraid at one point.

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I guess its name is Quran, and I won't say I know it to the letter, but I did read it at some point of my life, as many other Holy Books. And if you tell me it does not say anything about prayers and offerings, I won't believe you smile

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Sandy, I have nothing against Quran or any other holy book, and you know this smile

However my point is that all holy books I know talk about pleasing the God when you want him to please you in return. Is this not a definition of corruption? You pay me, and I do for you what I normally don't do for others... smile

In fact, I have nothing against corruption too. It greatly simplifies some things if you know how to deal with it wink

1. profile image0

My apologies, I misunderstood you. smile Though I differ in you understanding of corruption.  I don't think corruption is good at all because it built of lies like politics. God's not a politician. lol big_smile

The god of the bible Torah and quoran are.

2. mohamedhmm profile image59

===============

it's just your definition; God is a God; not you; you are in need for Him; but, God is a God and he pleased every body without return; but we are as a human, we should be humble and just say thanks and try to be near from him as He DO ALL TIMES WITH US; but we are a human, some of us deny the blessing and the power of God; but, not for long....

That's right. And if you don't he will kill you. What sort of god is that?

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
          GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

His name is Pogo. wink Man, you must love this sport of yours. wink

Sincerely,
          G|M

2. Misha profile image62

Absolutely corrupt tongue

2. Misha profile image62

No, it is a dictionary definition of corruption smile

7. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 15 years ago

While the question is interesting, I don't think anyone can answer that with any conviction. Personally, I believe in God, but I am not into religiousity. I try to look at things from the point of view of science. The reason I believe there has to be a higher power is because I don't think this universe came about in and of itself. I often wonder about the starting point of the universe (Big Bang) and I wonder what was the trigger for that? There has to be some intelligence that regulates creation and destruction? Or is it that everything is automated and timed to happen at specific intervals? Automation also requires programming, so one would think someone programmed all this to happen!!!

As far as the corruption question is concerned, the mistake we always make is to compare everything relative to "us." Should we?? Its akin to comparing God to humans. Whether God exists or not, I don't think there'd be any similarity between God and humans and perhaps the concept of power and corruptness would be of no consequence in that respect.

I think that is an intelligent way to put it. I do not believe in god, but I do believe in soul and spirit, as it appears in my life, and wonder as you do about the beginning of all things. I do not find human thinking to be very evolved, with so little access to the subconscious it may be some time before we know what life is, but just last year an Australian couple (both scientists found the death molecule.It has taken 9 years of research and it is very early in the discovery, but we may soon be able to halt aging completely, so perhaps in living a long life we will learn more. Nice reply.

8. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image61
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years ago

God is full of hatred and believes in vengence and killing...

Which god ask us to show hatred on others? Which god teaches vengence and killing? It is man, dictated by lust for money, power and property, does all the things. For all his sins, he takes god as shield. If god can speak and do something, he will certainly prevent all sins, because, god is said to have all good qualities.

Read the bible lately?

2. profile image0

Ernest, may I refer you to the new testament which talks about loving they neighbor and not being judgmental. Of course the bible was written down years after passed word of mouth so authors interjected their own voice and probably their own opinions as well. When I say path, though, I really don't believe it's important to be religious to be connected to God.

The New testament is more of the same old vengeful crap, just written with less fire and brimstone.I have read and studied both the new and old testament. Would you like them separated, so as to make an argument for one over the other? It is still the same old world rubbish and should be dispensed with.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)