Purpose of the Bible ... What is the Bible about?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Jouneyman2 profile image57
    Jouneyman2posted 15 years ago

I'm kinda new to this forum but in reading through some of the threads on religion I was amazed at the spectrum of theories and beliefs. In all of what I read, which wasn't ALL the topics, I didn't see this question posed by anyone, so I thought I would present it. Feel free to reply as you wish, I won't be back on for a day or two but look forward to everyone's thoughts.

I'll post my answer to the question, but I want to give others the chance to post first.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

See you in a couple of days.

1. BDazzler profile image77
        BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ah ... Mark opens with his (in)famous "Wait to Pounce Gambit" ... very clever this one wink

lol

I am not that bad am I?

1. BDazzler profile image77
            BDazzlerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Depends on your mood lol

Fair enough smile I am in a good mood right now though.

SD - They never learn.

2. profile image0
          SirDentposted 15 years agoin reply to this

A spammer in training. If he would have read, he would have noticed that this had occured many times before and would have come up with a new system.

3. Jouneyman2 profile image57
          Jouneyman2posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Knowles is free to "pounce" whenever he chooses to do so.....however,  perhaps a study of the lion would be advisable before he chooses to do so.

2. Jouneyman2 profile image57

Mr. Knowles, I do not seek to change your mind on anything you have already convinced yourself of. Unlike those of Christianity who lay claim to the title and office of "Christian" by their own assumptions and interpretations, I do no such thing. If it is the clamor of the argument you seek, be on your way; however if your opinions are just that: opinions and you are open to things you may not have considered; feel free to jump in. As I told you before, mine is a quest for knowledge and understanding, I regard facts not fiction and put a high value on truth and certainties as opposed to "probabilities", "suggestions", "postulations", and other forms of guesswork.

Again, if it is the argument and debate you seek; seek your reward elsewhere, there is none here for you.

No, I seek the exposure of the truth. And it does not involve "facts" that are in debate. I heartily suggest  that you look up the meaning of the word "fact," and "certainty,"  because you do not have any. smile

2. profile image0
          henrymaquli1posted 15 years agoin reply to this

hi,
          This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.

henrymaquli
          The Bible

1. earnestshub profile image81
            earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

What the... is this supposed to relate to?

2. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

The Holy Bible- teachings of the enlightened one ,the prophet Jesus Christ. smile

1. Jouneyman2 profile image57

That's a simple non committed answer. Can you be any more specific?

1. mohitmisra profile image60

Its about the Light.This super entity which has no beginning and no end and is supremely intelligent as well.This light is termed as God and its inside everything animate and inanimate, including every man and woman.Its the source of all and being one with it is a state of ultimate bliss and is actually our home. smile

2. Paraglider profile image88
        Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Except that more than three quarters of it was written long before he was born and half of the rest was written after he was dead.

Do enlighten me more on this. smile

1. Paraglider profile image88
            Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Come on now - the Old Testament - 39 books written BC. New Testament -  in fact all of it appears to have been written after the crucifixion. So while one eighth (approx) of the bible might have been written by Christ's contemporaries, even that section seems to have been written retrospectively, after his death. But you knew all that, surely?

No I didn't thank you. :)Just read a bit on it right now - interesting.

3. Andrew0208 profile image56
        Andrew0208posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Your Spirit speaks, Mohit. I also call the Bible, the Scriptures as this term brings to my understanding of a more assurance of they realities.

The Book of books!

3. Jouneyman2 profile image57

From reading through the postings I see the usual "Christian" responses to my question.  I wonder how many 'Christians" actually realize that there is a central theme running through the entirety of the Bible,  that links both the Old and New testaments together, a central theme that is repeated over and over and admonished once again at the end? All the popular religions speak of the "love" of God, yet this is not the theme I speak of.

The purpose of the Bible coincides with the purpose of man. One is inseparable from the other. so, to understand the one, the other must be understood as well.

So what is the purpose of man?  That's the question everyone usually asks FIRST. Why? Because everyone wants to know why he or she was born, what is the purpose behind one's existence. Is it just so that we all can go through life striving to perfect ourselves according to the foundation laid down in the Bible? To what end? That we all go to heaven and sing praises to God for eternity? I sincerely hope not. All this time and trial wasted just so one can sing praises unto God forever? Seems like a LOT of ado and QUALIFICATION for something so trivial and mundane. Yet that is exactly what many religions claim.

I didn't buy into that theory. i set out to find out what God did / does. What is His purpose? I thought that if perhaps I could discover His purpose I could find out more about mine. Many told me it was improper for me to seek such answers and ask such questions; yet when I asked them why I never got a straight forward answer, just replies like "you'll go to hell" , "you're being disrespectful", if He wanted us to know such things He would tell us and He doesn't". Well, HE does say to PROVE all things. So, set out to find out why a God that doesn't reveal anything would say to "prove all things". I mean, HOW can one PROVE anything if nothing is not revealed?

That was a long time ago. Since then I have met others who have taken up this journey as well, seeking many of the same answers I did and more that I had not considered.

I am far from an "expert" but I can tell you that line MUST be upon line, precept upon precept, for the teachings of God to be revealed. If there is confusion or contradiction it is not
      on God's part but on the part of he who is doing the interpreting.

Now, about that question; man always puts HIMSELF first. He wants to know who HE is that God should consider him. I wanted to know WHO God was that I should consider Him. So I began studying. I found out through God's Word and the insight of others dedicated to the Truth that God is in the business of creating. I found out that He has a plan for the universe that far transcends any imaginable by man. I found out that there is something that God in all His Glory and Power cannot create, something the must be formed within each individual. That something is Righteous Character. If Righteous Character could be formed through caveat rebellion would never have entered into Satan's mind; it would have been impossible for him to go against God, much less lead 1/3 of the angels astray with him.

This explained to me why man was created mortal, in a form that could die. God already had had to deal with Lucifer's rebellion, not to mention the rebellion of 1/3 of the angels, why would he create MORE immortal beings that could turn eternally against Him as well?  He wouldn't. Yet he didn't want robots. What good is a robot that can't think/reason for itself?

How many of you have kids?  How many of you would want to spend the entirety of your life playing the "why" game with them? Eventually one would scream "SHUT UP, I DON'T KNOW WHY" to which of course would come the question of "why". 

So He created man with the ability to reason, the ability to make use of SELF WILL, a.k.a CHOICE. After all, who is the most HONORABLE and RELIABLE; one who has been FORCED to  submit to a leader or one who CHOOSES to do so WILLINGLY? Obviously he who CHOOSES to do so, he's going to be unshakable in his loyalty. He who is FORCED will betray at the first opportunity.

(Now keep in mind that even though Satan rebelled against God he still retained the throne of the earth. He was / is still ruler and god of the earth)

So how does God create a beings who will be able to reclaim that throne, beings that will NOT rebel against Him under ANY circumstances?  He has to let then make the choice to follow Him or not. How does he do that? He tests them, constantly. Hence the test of Adam in the garden of Eden. Had Adam NOT followed Eve (Satan) in eating of the "fruit" he would qualified to retake the throne of the earth from Satan. Why? The CHOICE was between following the word of Eve as opposed to the Commandment of God. Adam chose to follow Eve 's suggestion (as inspired by Satan). Hence they were cast out of the Garden and away from the (symbolic) tree of Life.

In making that decision what did Eve and Adam CHOOSE to do? Did they not CHOOSE to reject God's Law, evidenced by His commandment NOT "to eat of the tree...."? Are God's commandments not Law/ Sure they are. And what does God say about His Laws/ Commandments? If one is broken they ALL are broken? So in breaking the one commandment given by God to Adam and Eve did they not break them all? Sure they did.

So WHAT did they do in breaking the commandments? Did they not rebel against God's Law the same as Satan had?(and what does God teach that the Law is? The foundation of His government {Kingdom} ? )  Did they not rebel against God's throne (symbolic of His government) same as Satan had? Sure they did, so it was BLOCKED off from them.

At this point another supposition of traditional Christianity becomes clear.. but that is another topic and thread.

What is the Bible about? Its a guidebook to the creation of True Righteous Character, through which one may inherit the very Government of God and re-create it throughout the universe. It teaches the formula by which one may create Righteous Character within himself, and permit God to infuse that Character with the POWER of his own; thereby forming one who is worthy to inherit the reward of Governing with Christ and re establishing the universe according to God's vision not Satan's. In order to qualify for these positions one needs to LEARN about God's government and be proficient in it. This is the other purpose of the Bible; to TEACH the Government of God to His True followers.

I realize that this is condensed quite a bit but in the interest of not putting anyone to sleep, I felt it necessary to do so.

2. louisJeffries profile image60
    louisJeffriesposted 15 years ago

This seems to rhetoric by non believers. The bible was written for believers and there will be plenty of people to say why this is not or was not so. And if that is your take then why even waste time discussing something you do not believe in.

Simply the bible is a road map for eternal life for whosoever would believe and accept it as the Word of God who was, who is, and who is to come.

There is power in the bible. A power that only those with faith can recognize or access.

There is peace in the bible, love, hope and joy.

I pray God's Blessings on each of you.

3. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

It is spam. big_smile

And rather entertainingly (for a bible spammer) they tried to get around the nofollow attribute attached to low scoring forum posts by adding this:

http://www.t heb ibl e365.com"%20rel="dofallow/

But they spelled it wrong. lol

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I saw that!Very funny.

4. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 15 years ago

The bible is simply a collection of mythologies.

Granted, they do often give some good meaning behind them, but to take them at face value is to seriously question your sanity.

Its a book, like all religious texts, written for men by men in an effort to control and shape society.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)