Islam, is it the religion of peace?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (122 posts)
  1. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image60
    Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 13 years ago

Islam is the religion of peace, yet if some one says other wise, they seem to respond in a very negative way, such as death threats and burning things in the representation of people or national flags etc.

All we ever hear is about how evil they are, I've put this down to the fact that people only ever want to hear the bad about some one, and news reports only tell you the bad things, such as they beat up their woman and treat them like second class citizens (slaves) and not the good things.

So my question really is, can some one exlpain if this is true or not, do they really abuse their woman etc or is this just a lie to make us hate them, if so, for what means?

I know htis may be a sensitive question, but i hear all the time, Islam is evil, but equally I hear that Islam is a place of peace, how can there be this complete contradiction in views?

Any ideas or views are welcome, I only ask because my knowledge on the topic is limited to what I can find on the internet, I do ask please, no hateful remarks.

Thank you

1. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The threats and cruelty done by the so called radical Muslims in the name of religion is their own wrongful doing; Quran/Islam/Muhammad has given no such teachings to inflict such cruelties.

So religion cannot be held responsible for such acts; Islam is a peaceful religion.

Chouji-Von-Lycanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

parrsurret, thank you for your comment

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Any religion that condones and asks its own people to strap a bomb onto their own body and then detonate it killing themselves and others is not of God and is evil. Any religion that orders its followers to board and hijack civilian commercial airliners in flight and then crash them into buildings filled with civilians is not of God and is evil. Any religion that would purposely target all Jews, all Christians, no matter the nationality doing it in the name of their God is not of God and is evil. Any religion that would order a married woman killed, simply because she did not have her head covered, claiming it was an insult to the husband, is not of God and is evil. I can add more but I think you get my point.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Christianity condones a great deal of evils. The bible is rife with them.  No different, Dave. smile

2. scriptureonfire profile image60
        scriptureonfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right, any religion that condones  killing is evil, period

1. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The bible is on a par for that sort of thing, but as paara will tell you, (and bible believers.) "You took it out of context"

1. scriptureonfire profile image60
            scriptureonfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No,please understand me I come from a country when people have been killed just for a trivial reason all in the name of religion, Islam is a very violent religion (a bomb went off yesterday in Jos, killing the two guys that were carrying to a church to plant it there) , I am of the opinion that God should content for Himself and not man doing that for Him.
            The small gods of my father's house knows how to content for itself .Why is it that some big God can not content for itself?

3. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Chouji:
      This is my answer:
      Give me time in the history of man that religion has "meaningfully" represented the definition of the word "peace."
      "Lip-service" is all you will be able to find.
      There is NO "peace" involved in the short history of the abstract concept: god/s!
      Qwark

qwark;

i think i like your answer, peace, good and evil, it's all a matter of perspective, what one persons says is good is different from another mans/womans definition,

if soem one is hungry, is the good option to feed them? perhaps, but what if he comes lazy and expects you to feed him all the time, maybe it's better to let them find the food them selves, or, am i looking too far into this, i think i've drifted from the original question

thank you for your answer, greatly aprecieted

Chouji

1. qwark profile image60

YW Chouji...:-)
          Qwark

4. Indiabusiness11 profile image60
      Indiabusiness11posted 13 years agoin reply to this

all religion teaches you about peace. It is up to you how you take it and apply in your life.

1. profile image51

It is a fact; if some crafty people misuse religion for their own vested interests; that is another thing; truthful religion is not responsible for that.

1. pisean282311 profile image62
          pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

stop running away and face reality paar...religion is part of problem...'i didnt do it' doesnot work out here...religion and its books are responsible for radicalization of society ...one can't deny the truth ...

1. profile image51

The Truthful Religion is not the problem; religion is peaceful solution of the human problems.

The Atheists did never bring any lasting solution to the human problems.

5. qwark profile image60

"Islam, is it the religion of peace?"
      Why don't you burn a qur'an and find out?
      Qwark

1. profile image51

How will that prove anything? It is the teachings which are important; not the behaviours of the wrong doers.

Qur’an 4:101 “The unbelievers (non-Muslims) are your inveterate foe.”

1. profile image51

[4:98] Verily, those whom the angels cause to die while they are wronging their own souls, they (the angels) will say to them: ‘What were you after?’ They will reply: ‘We were treated as weak in the land.’ They will say, ‘Was not Allah’s earth vast enough for you to emigrate therein?’ It is these whose abode shall be Hell, and an evil destination it is;
            [4:99] Except such weak ones among men, women and children, as are incapable of adopting any plan or of finding any way.
            [4:100] As to these, maybe Allah will efface their sins; for Allah is the Effacer of sins, and is Most Forgiving.
            [4:101] And whoso emigrates from his country in the cause of Allah will find in the earth an abundant place of refuge and plentifulness. And whoso goes forth from his home, emigrating in the cause of Allah and His Messenger, and death overtakes him, his reward lies on Allah, and Allah is Most Forgiving, Merciful.
            [4:102] And when you journey in the land, it shall be no sin on you to shorten the Prayer, if you fear that those who disbelieve may give you trouble. Verily, the disbelievers are an open enemy to you.

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=97

While the Meccans had attacked aggressively; the Muslims were asked to be careful of them and allowed to shorten the prayer.

It is a very rational teaching; please read the passages in the context.

How many hate verses are in the quoran? If memory serves me right there are 46,000 of these psychotic hate statements in your tome.

I suppose they are all "out of context" and you have an argument for each of them.
              I also know about the aggregation used to water down all the things your prophet said that couldn't be sold to an increasingly rational world!

1. profile image51

None; there are no hate verses in Quran. Just quote one if you have read Quran yourself.

Quran is all peaceful

I can't reply to that. I am godsmacked! None you say. OK. lol lol lol

1. profile image51

Of course you cannot; as there are no hate verses in Quran.

If somebody has read Quran; he is free to mention such verse excercising his free will or free choice.

2. earnestshub profile image81

I have said many times in the past that I have read the quoran, you seem to ignore it and repeat the same argument.

In truth I have probably quoted less than 100 of the many thousands of psychotic and abusive passages in the quoran as I have with the bible.
                  I could fill these threads for the next two years with abusive hateful and psychotic quotes from your "good book"

1. profile image51

You just give one that you think is the most hate verse and then we will see its rationality.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Even if you don't have religion, you can still have peace.  As long as there is greed which is present everywhere we can never attain peace. So it is just a dream.

thank you for your message

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

No it is not. A brief scan of the quoran will prove that. smile

thank you for your input

You are most welcome. smile

2. Chouji-Von-Lycan profile image60

Quoran, is that how it's spelt, i keep seeing - quran - kuran, many different ways of spelling it, it was getting quite confusing

1. Hunbbel Meer profile image74
        Hunbbel Meerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The actually spelling turns out to be QURAN - The Holy Quran

1. kephrira profile image60
          kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually I think you can spell it however you want - they have different letters so there is no correct spelling in English. You have the same thing with many translations from Chinese, Hebrew and so on - multiple spellings, any one of which is just as correct as the others.

ah, thank you very much smile

4. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

Any thing which can remain peaceful must have tolerance in its roots...Abhramic religions are tolerant at periphery...the premise my way is only way can keep superficial peace but that peace can get converted into violence when it is opposed,threatened or disregarded...

very insightful, thank you for this

5. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Be that as it may but Islamists are mostly  -  whole populations - violent

thanks for your reply

6. tehgyb profile image84
    tehgybposted 13 years ago

I will say this-
    As a US Army Veteran, having served time in the middle east in a combat setting... hah, thought I was going a negative route didn't you? wink Nope! Some of the muslims I have met over there were the kindest most heart warming people I have ever met in my life. Granted, some where horrible (Well, who isn't horrible in your eyes when they're shooting at you? lol) But that is NOT because they're muslim- they were fighting for what they believe in. Some of them didn't follow the theisms set for muslims- hey, every religion has their bad apples. Some of them were even brain washed to believe Allah had asked them to attack us. When in reality the Koran never states to attack Christians or Jews- matter of factly there are parts that says to embrace them as brothers- as fellow followers of "the book."
    I know what youre thinking. oh another damned uneducated American soldier babbling about how he was right. Hey, I'm not claiming to be perfect. Everyone does things they're ashamed of. I CAN however say I have never done anything cruel or unwarranted during my tour, nor have I seen any of my friends do such. Again- every culture has their bad apples, and those are the only ones you ever hear of.
    The REAL muslims over there, as I've said earlier- were the kindest and most amazing people I have ever met, and I will never forget them. Not a day goes by that I don't pray wishing them the best. So Yes, I would agree that pure Islam is the religion of peace, as long as the muslim people practice it the way it was meant to be practiced.

I think for me you have hit the nail on the head, if compared to everyone else, like you say, we all have our bad apples.

I think your statement is more accurate than most others who may comment on this, as being over there in such unfortunate causes you were in the best position to see any "evil" that may rear it's ugly head, but if you alone can say that in those situations they were some of the nicest people you could meet, then that's all that's needed,

I think that it's just unfortunate that people only go on about the bad that some one does, so for them, the bad apples are being heard over the one's that are peaceful, this is very very unfortunate for them as they are getting the blame for what the bad apples are doing.

Thank you very much for you reply

1. tehgyb profile image84
        tehgybposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah to the day I wish I could have had a way to stay in contact with some of the people I've met over there- especially my native interpreters- such amazing people

2. Hunbbel Meer profile image74

I am feeling immense pleasure by reading your comment, because this is an UNBIASED COMMENT.
      Sir, I am a Muslim and I am proud of it. You met those people and you loved them, this is what Islam is about. Islam says LOVE EVERYONE EQUALLY, RESPECT EVERYONE, whether he is ARABIC or NOT, whether he or she is BLACK or WHITE. This is what Islam about.

Islam says forgive those who hurt you, and this is the most superior thing to do. You are absolutely right about the bad apples. One more thing I would like to add ... >>

3. Hunbbel Meer profile image74

One more thin I would like to add is that, you told us that you never did anything barbaric. Although, the media EVERYDAY tells that the U.S / NATO forces are killing innocents brutally.

This is the main point to talk about I guess. You hold the FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE of what you did (didn't kill innocent people), and not the media guys. They manipulate things to increase their PR. Same as the thing they do with Islam, people don't like to her that Islam is a religion of peace cox they can't talk about it in the gatherings and show off. That's y media always brings false statements such as Islam is violent and all that. And this is sad sad it hurts a lot sad

Exactly. The media twists everything up for either propaganda or ratings purposes. Two friends of mine were killed in action in Mosul, Iraq- The media published a story WITHIN HOURS saying that they had spit on and slapped an Iraqi soldier soldier, which prompted him to respond by taking the 30 round magazine out of his AK and putting a 75 round drum in it, and opening fire. The only part thats true is my 2 friends died because an Iraqi soldier, with a 75 round drum in his AK, opened fire on us. We were doing nothing but standing around a courtyard in an Iraqi Army compound- then bam.

4. kannanwrites profile image92
      kannanwritesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

+1
      I second that.

5. profile image51

Islam is a religion of peace.

7. tehgyb profile image84
    tehgybposted 13 years ago

"So my question really is, can some one exlpain if this is true or not, do they really abuse their woman etc or is this just a lie to make us hate them, if so, for what means?"
    To answer that exact question- Call me a liar if you wish, I can call at least 4 co-witnesses at a moment notice if i needed to- On patrol in Iraq one day I had literally watched a man beat his wife with a shovel... and our hands were tied- it wasnt "life threatening" and it wasnt aimed towards us. Once he saw us standing there in awe staring at him he dropped the shovel and ran. Its horrible =X
    Also, keep an eye out I'll be posting some hubs soon about my time over there and you'll get a nice feel of what it was really like smile

that is harsh, to be able to see that and do noving, I'd be seriosly wanting to show him how I felt about his actions, and he could have had a fun time explaining to the surgical team why there is a shovel sticking out of his @ss.

Thanks for your reply, again

I will look out for these hubs

My exact thoughts sad

Islam says that people who hit their women are not from us. They will be burned in hell.

Islam describes lots of rights for your wives. Islam declares heaven in the feet of your mother. Islam says that when a daughter is being born in a house/family, Allah (The GOD) has sent His blessings into that family.

This is how Islam respects women and ladies smile
      Those who hit their women are sheer bastards and brings bad mouth to the whole religion and its followers sad

I would request everyone to please study Quran to have a better knowledge of Islam, OTHERWISE do not say any bad thing about it, without having even any knowledge about that. It's immature to do this.

Love you all, take care, be blessed smile

This seem to display quite a lot of respect for woman, this is admirable

Thank you for your reply

2. pisean282311 profile image62

@hunbbel mer

my friend what you said might be correct but at same time quran also allows men to beat their women...

Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them. Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God is high, supreme. Dawood[2]

Men are in charge of women, because Allah has made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah has guarded. As for those from whom you fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever High Exalted, Great. Pickthall[3]

Men are the managers of the affairs of women for that God has preferred in bounty one of them over another, and for that they have expended of their property. Righteous women are therefore obedient, guarding the secret for God's guarding. And those you fear may be rebellious admonish; banish them to their couches, and beat them. If they then obey you, look not for any way against them; God is All high, All great. Arberry[4]

Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in their sleeping places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great. Shakir[5]

Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard. As to those women on whom part you fear disloyalty and ill conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance) for Allah is Most High, Great (above you all). Ali[6]

are these actual texts? they sound slightly harsh

These are some of those texts and extracts that can be perceived in both ways (positive n negative).

if you are willing to take these as positive, than you can think of these texts as when a child doesn't listen to his parents or elders, parents often beat him lightly or to make him fear, so he doesn't go the wrong way and eventually be a harm to the whole society. If your son goes berserk and kills a neighbor, m sure you will not praise him. You will PUNISH him (whether legally by telling the police or beat him) is that alright?

Same as the case above,  Islam directs women not to spread BAD things in societies, this is what they are to guard. Just be positive and think, if the women is allowed to do whatever she wants to (in terms of bad things) prostitution, rapes, these things will increase immensely and the society will be termed as a bad one. Ain't this right?
          So that is why to keep them on the right path, to let the society be good enough to live, good enough to raise children in it, those orders came. I repeat the line above

"If they then obey, look not for any way against them"

so if man doesnot obey can woman also beat him lightly?

my friend woman and man are two adults and it is their right to behave in way they want to...obedience is not partnership...respecting each other is...woman have as much right to disobey as man...and no one has right to use beating to get their way....

coming to beating of child , even that is undergoing change...

1. Rafini profile image82
              Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

obedience is not partnership...respecting each other is...woman have as much right to disobey as man..

pisean:  this says it all.

Christianity is about respect, for the self and mutual respect among all people.  Islam, it appears, is about obedience and men having dominance over women.  (***shudders***)  I don't see peace (or, love) in dominance, obedience, or control.  What I see is fear, not love.

Rafini, from this I agree, obediance isn't love, I think Hunbbel Meer has a point though, punishing those that do wrong is right, I just think they could have used a better way of wording it as pisean282311 has a point also, if man is disobediant, who punishes him?

I do agree with punishment to those who deserve it, but i do agree with you pisean28311, beating some one sound harsh, though a smack on the bum doesn't do anyone any harm my parents used to smack me when i was naughty, and i respect them for it, though show me that my actions have a consequence, if i was to be naughty in the outside world people would have done some thing far worse than a smack across my bum, they taught me to behave properly.

Thank you for your in put smile it is greatly apreciated

2. nightwork4 profile image60
            nightwork4posted 13 years agoin reply to this

but is it ok for a woman to hit her husband if he does something wrong? are honour killings ok or is it something that is just popular because people misunderstand or interpret the quaran?

8. smalika profile image61
    smalikaposted 13 years ago

A good percentage of the Muslims today do not reflect the religion in the scriptures. There are dissensions and many problems. It would not be appropriate to derive conclusions as to the viability of the religion by the acts of those who choose to misbehave.

Exactly! Very well put!

So what you're saying is, it's not the Religion that is in any way shape or form evil, it's just the select few that ruin the image of peace for everyone else?

Yeah exactly.
        If you read our HOLY QURAN, you will come to know that how many times it says to forgive other people for their misbehaves, NO OTHER RELIGION talks about with that much stress on forgiveness and peace.

Islam says you can attack only in two conditions (here attack means JIHAD)

1. If there is an injustice/cruelty/violence to its full extent. You can do JIHAD to bring justice again so that people can live peacefully.
        2. If you are being attacked by someone else, then only you can attack him back (self-defense)

Otherwise it is prohibited to kill ANY HUMAN BEINGS. Islam says 'The one who kills one innocent person, means he has killed all of the humanity"

Islam says "Bring the walls of Kaaba (The Holy destination of Pilgimrage) down 70 times, but do not hurt any person"

Peace smile

So JIHAD is an act of karma so to speak, some one does bad to you, you do bad back, (self defence)

in this contexts it sounds reasonable.

so the term JIHAD should not be used when some odd ball decides to blow him self up on a bus, this is terrorism right?

Again, thank you for your reply

"So JIHAD is an act of karma so to speak, some one does bad to you, you do bad back, (self defence)"

my reply is .. KIND OF, Islam says it is better to let it go, means the one who forgives is BETTER than the one who repays him back in the same order. But if you want to take revenge you are allowed to. Because if not, the other person will keep suppressing you.

I think this is reasonable, isn't it?
            Even our law/courts etc allow this. You are allowed to attack, even kill, in self-defense, but if you let it go that is your choice and you will be a better person, BUT you are allowed to kill, and you won't be punished for that. is it right?

I don't know why people accept the country's law and rejects Islam for the same thing. I think, its only for the sake of bad mouthing sad

i think you are not differentiating self defense and revenge out here...self defense is spontaneous...it comes in quest of not getting killed...i cannot go and kill someone i feel threatened of and say i did it of self defense...self defense comes when someone attacks me and i am at risk of getting killed....revenge is different matter...it is planned and absolutely has no place in civilized society...we have court of law which allow people do file case when felt injustice...the trial goes and then comes verdict...we dont have people taking other's life in name of revenge...it worked in tribal days but in today's time it is not right thing to do...

I agree with your point, but revenge sometimes became mandatory without the interventions of courts and so called laws.

I am NOT a supporter of the Talibans etc, but for the sake of neutrality, be unbiased and think from the viewpoint of Talibans in Afghanistan, and the militants of Iraq.

9/11 theory still hasn't got proofs and is still in doubt that SOME OTHER FORCES, other than the Talibans, did that.

Assuming that, what do you think Talibans would have been supposed to do when America attacked them? Didn't they were supposed to fight back?

Which biological weapons were found in Iraq despite some of the rotten tomatoes. What would those Iraqi militants thinking? What were they supposed to do?

Americans say 3,000 people were killed in 9/11 (I deeply condemn the 9/11) everybody supported America. More than 50,000 people were killed by American bombings, no one even questioned and we are talking about humanity and LAW n ORDER? Where is that?

for suicide bombing:

I would like to repeat my sentence, to kill ANY INNOCENT PERSON is NOT written in ISLAM. This ISN'T Islam.

Let me give you an example for your better understanding:

1. If an Iraqi comes into the market, where ordinary people are buying groceries, he blew himself up; kills 20 people. THIS ISN'T ISLAM, this is terrorism.

2. If a person blew himself up in a military compound of the rival forces, he kills 15 army grunts and in 1 passing child in collateral damage, I THINK he has killed an innocent and will be punished for that.

NOTE: I heard some Muslim militants interviews, their masters taught them that whoever you kill in collateral damage, will go to heaven directly and you will be forgiven for that. THIS IS WRONG! THIS IS A WRONG CONCEPT and is used for the sake of their own dirty purposes.

3. This example will clear your mind - In 1965, India & Pakistan fought a war. I belong to Pakistan. Pakistan wasn't anticipating the attack and India, with hundred of tanks - nearly 500 I guess, invaded Pakistan from the border of a densily populated city LAHORE, in the night.
            Pakistani forces wasn't ready to repel the attack. In that war, the COMMON MEN of Lahore, tied bomb with themselves and lied beneath those tanks and LITERALLY they demolished hundreds of Indian tanks and Pakistan won that war.

The point is this, they fought (suicide bombing) but for the sake of their country, to kill those who raided them (self-defense) without killing any innocent. I PERSONALLY THINK, this wasn't barbarism, this was the simple man's military tactic.

I hope I made myself clear smile

1. Rafini profile image82

Unfortunately, yes.  Suicide is wrong except when as a strategic purpose.

Can't agree.  Suicide is self murder, and according to the Bible (I would think all religions?) murder is a sin.  Sorry, but morally speaking, if it's wrong, it's wrong.

i think from a biblical point of view, self murder is wrong, but, if it was a willing sacrifice by one self to saves that ones family, this is a just worthy cause in a sense of protecting the ones you love.

but for like Hunbbel Meer says, people are being brain washed into thinking blowing them selves up is the right thing to, this is also as he states clearly very wrong.

i think i am being to see a few things i didn't previously know, thank you everyone for your input

You are welcome dear. If people are willing to learn about our religion, instead of just putting bad mouth of it, we are more than happy to clear his mind, and to answer whatever he/she is searching for smile It was my pleasure to contribute.

In the end, I would say that Islam is a religion of peace, same as all the other religions. Not even a single religion has said to kill people and spread violence, it is those followers that bring bad mouth to it.

2. Rafini profile image82

Chouji-Von-Lycan:

I don't believe a willing sacrifice is any better than intentional murder/suicide.  It's all the same to me - murder.

However, is risking one's life to save the life of another acceptable?  Yes, because risk does not always lead to death.

A willing sacrifice is not a risk.  Saying a suicide bomber acted as a willing sacrifice is just another attempt at claiming the ends justifies the means.  Never is it okay to beat somebody to a pulp just because you can, and want to, in order to be happy.  To me, it's a sick way of thinking.

Hunbbel Meer:

I wanted to post this earlier, but was distracted -

Claiming all Islamists are evil terrorists is equivalent to claiming all Mormons are bigomists. I think most people get it, but the problem is - how do you tell the difference?  With Mormons & Bigomists you have visual proof, with Islamists & Terrorists, you don't.

I have to disagree a little, i'm not saying blowing your self up for the fun of it just because you can, but there are far worse things than death,

if to say, my girl friend, mother, sister, were to be, in want of a better phrase, gang raped, i would do anything i could to stop that from happening, even if it meant the cost of my own life,

but, life is special, it is important that we experience life to the fullest,

in an ideal world, there would be no need to have to protect your self from the evils of others.

I do how ever agree with your statement that you can not tell the difference between islamists and terrorists, i suppose it's a matter of trust

2. nightwork4 profile image60
          nightwork4posted 13 years agoin reply to this

the problem with the term "innocent" is that it gives the person no true definition. that is where many islamics justify their actions. each person who read any religious text interprets it to their own liking and it will continue to be this way for a long time yet. by believing in a book and not in common sense, it gives a person the power to do as they please as long as their interpretation is justified. one can say that islam or christianity is about peace but interpretation destroys that idea. history , even current events don't show tolerance but rather hatred for non- believers and animosity to those who go against what people think these religious books say.

1. profile image51

The truthful religion; its Word is not against common sense; it promotes common sense and broadens one's world vision rather than to shun it.
            If somebody misunderstand it and acts wrongly; it is his fault not of the truthful religion.

The truthful religion exhorts one to use common sense and to be reasonable:

[2:45] Do you enjoin others to do what is good and forget your own selves, while you read the Book? Will you not then understand?*

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=44

* use your common sense.

This has been repeated scores of times in the Word revealed from the Creator-God.

9. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

The threats and cruelty done by the so called radical Muslims in the name of religion is their own wrongful doing; Quran/Islam/Muhammad has given no such teachings to inflict such cruelties.Those doing such wrongs will suffer punishment for doing things not commanded by the Creator-God.

So religion cannot be held responsible for such acts; Islam is a peaceful religion.

Your book like the bible is filled with passages of hate, cruelty, slavery, rape, murder, all done by your god, and always ignored by the indoctrinated.

1. profile image51

Nothing of the sorts; not a single hate speech.

I rest my case! Like my pa used to say, "There are none so blind as those who will not see."

10. topgunjager profile image60
    topgunjagerposted 13 years ago

Qur'an:8:39
    "Wage war on non-muslims and kill them until they submit and the only religion is islam"

You infidels don't get it, there would be no peace until all the non-believers of islam is put to death. It's necessary violence to bring peace on earth, therefore, islam is a religion of peace.

1. profile image51

[8:30] O ye who believe! if you fear Allah, He will grant you a distinction and will remove your evils from you and will forgive you; and Allah is Lord of great bounty.
      [8:31] And remember the time when the disbelievers plotted against thee that they might imprison thee or kill thee or expel thee. And they planned and Allah also planned, and Allah is the Best of planners.
      [8:32] And when Our verses are recited to them, they say, ‘We have heard. If we wished we could certainly utter the like of this. This is nothing but mere tales of the ancients.’
      [8:33] And remember the time when they said, ‘O Allah, if this be indeed the truth from Thee, then rain down upon us stones from heaven or bring down upon us a grievous punishment.’
      [8:34] But Allah would not punish them while thou wast among them, and Allah would not punish them while they sought forgiveness.
      [8:35] And what excuse have they now that Allah should not punish them, when they hinder men from the Sacred Mosque, and they are not its true guardians? Its true guardians are only those who are righteous, but most of them know not.
      [8:36] And their prayer at the House is nothing but whistling and clapping of hands. ‘Taste then the punishment because you disbelieved.’
      [8:37] Surely, those who disbelieve spend their wealth to turn men away from the way of Allah. They will surely continue to spend it; but then shall it become a source of regret for them, and then shall they be overcome. And the disbelievers shall be gathered unto Hell;
      [8:38] That Allah may separate the bad from the good, and put the bad, one upon another, and heap them up all together, and then cast them into Hell. These indeed are the losers.
      [8:39] Say to those who disbelieve, if they desist, that which is past will be forgiven them; and if they return thereto, then verily, the example of the former peoples has already gone before them.
      [8:40] And fight them until there is no persecution and religion is wholly for Allah. But if they desist, then surely Allah is Watchful of what they do.
      [8:41] And if they turn their backs, then know that Allah is your Protector. What an excellent Protector and what an excellent Helper!

http://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/sh … p;verse=39

I have provided the verses in the context; it is very rational and reasonable.

What is wrong there? Please

2. earnestshub profile image81

Makes sense to me!
      You will shortly get a reply from parra stating that you have to follow his rules and quote the text before and after. The same as the bible believers do.
      Otherwise what is written in their books are "taken out of context" according to them.
      I don't know what context has to do with it. Hate is hate, fear is still fear, threats are threats. smile

1. profile image51

It is a wrong guess; one can see my response just a post before you.

What is wrong with the verses? It is all rational and reasonable.

No, my guess was right, you did exactly as I thought you would. I have not read your "context" corrected link. Same as the bible, reams of hate then reams of justification. One would have to be a psychological mess to write the stuff your gods did, both books bible and quoran.

11. profile image0
    jomineposted 13 years ago

Yes indeed! It is the religion of 'piece'.
    lol

1. profile image51

Quran/Islam/Muhammad unite humanity together from pieces in a peaceful manner and with reasonable and brilliant arguments.

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes , indeed!
        A little boost from bombs help though!!
        (A single human may be made to pieces to later reunite in heaven!)
        lol

1. profile image51

That is not a teaching of Quran/Islam/Muhammad; it is your wrong perception.

1. profile image0

Whose?

1. profile image51

To kill a human being for nothing.

1. profile image0

But to get heaven, Its OK!
                And the question was whose!

12. JSAlison profile image60
    JSAlisonposted 13 years ago

Islam is the religion of other people- which is hardly acceptable.

1. profile image51

I don't get you; please express yourself fully.

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

All religions are selfish based in their foundation, therefore peace cannot ever be obtained through the practice of any of them. smile

14. profile image51

The threats and cruelty done by the so called radical Muslims in the name of religion is their own wrongful doing; Quran/Islam/Muhammad has given no such teachings to inflict such cruelties.

15. MarilynMorrison profile image61
    MarilynMorrisonposted 13 years ago

Of course, anyone under the preachings of Islam would say this. If someone is a member of religion, he or she would always say positive.

16. OriginArtz profile image61
    OriginArtzposted 13 years ago

Honestly, I am a Muslim. Our god, Allah, blessed us with our prophet, Muhammad. Muhammad taught us, Muslims, to respect others no matter what religion, race or any discrimination. He also wants us to follow Al-Quran and his words which are called as Hadiths. I asked my Islamic Studies teacher about the problem that surrounds Muslim.

He said that the problem arises because of the Muslims themselves who doesn't follow the true teachings of Islam. You should know that Muslims women MUST cover their heads and they didn't do it. Muslims shouldn't also drink wine but some still drinks it. It is the act of breaking the laws of Muslim that produces bad Muslims.

In any religion, the believer should follow what the religion laws. I respect all religion and I know that all religion focuses on doing good and not sins. I apologize for my brothers acts and maybe that is the only thing that I can do.

17. Hugh Williamson profile image76
    Hugh Williamsonposted 13 years ago

Anyone intent on doing evil will always look for some sort of justification. Oftentimes a religious scripture or a bit of dogma is misinterpreted and used for that purpose.

IMO religions are human inventions and do not confer supernatural righteousness on the participants.

Did you ever notice that the concept of "Heaven" in all religions is a place with everyone worshiping like them and looking like them and thinking like them...and even one's race remains intact also.

Religions should put a lot more stress on the equality of all humans, no matter what their beliefs, and maybe humans would be more humane.

18. profile image51

The Atheists did never bring any lasting solution to the human problems.

19. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 13 years ago

Where is the place of peace-in our mind,not in any other things.Living a honest life is the key to have a peaceful mind.Everybody has his own interpretation of the way he loves to enjoy his life.

20. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

earnestshub wrote ...
    The psychotic entity makes these threats. They mean the same in any context. They mean someone full of hate wrote them.

- - - -

Who are you talking about ???   ...  The entity that says  ...God wrote it  ,  or ,  the entity that they said told him to write it?

What'd you say Willis ?  ...    (Gary Colman)

smile Those who wrote it and claimed within their text it was the word of god, and also claim that all those psychotic passages are the word of some god.

If so, that would be one tiny little bigoted psychotic god who gains followers by threatening them with all sorts of horrors. smile
      Not my idea of a god. You would expect a god to behave better than it's failed creation wouldn't you?

1. Jerami profile image58
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I might have kinda ; sorta agreed with what you were saying until you brought God into the statement.

Depending upon ....    "What'd you say Willis"

21. Info Bucket profile image64
    Info Bucketposted 13 years ago

Google it-You'll find the actual view of Islam towards women.

1. profile image51

Mention it here; express yourself fully and freely.

1. Info Bucket profile image64
        Info Bucketposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's a lot to write it.....I will try to make a hub!!

1. profile image51

You may write here also so that we know of your thoughts here also.

Thanks

22. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gzhAaXbPBe8/TV2Mx6er25I/AAAAAAAAKX8/62vXM2KuKD8/s1600/islam-religion-of-peace%255B1%255D.jpg

23. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

one can't even draw a doodle of Mohammed without being condemned.... what context could explain that?

1. profile image51

There is no such teaching in Quran; it is only customary among believers out of his respect.

1. Greek One profile image64
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

customary to do what?  stone artists?  Is that in the spirit of the religion?

24. profile image51

Islam, is it the religion of peace?

Yes, sure, it is religion of peace

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)