Monthly contest on a particular topic!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (25 posts)
  1. accofranco profile image79
    accofrancoposted 15 years ago

Hubpages webmasters should try and initiate a monthly contest on a particular topic,even if it doesn't go with a cash prize but should a prize to encourage hubbers to participate,and the result should be by voting among hubbers and the outside community,how is the idea?

1. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Acco, did you read my question from last night??? big_smile. big_smile we must be reading each others minds. smilesmilesmile:

2. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

In a way they could do a weekly contest. Who wrote the best hub for HubMob, and the winner could be posted on the HP blog.  Since HubMob is a new topic each week, and people write on that one topic, instead of running a weekly and monthly topic.

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image60
      Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not a bad idea at all -- any other thoughts on this?

1. Whitney05 profile image83
        Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

You could post a hub, similar to the hubnuggets hubs and have hubbers choose the best of say 10-15 of the hubs from the hubmob from that week. Hubbers could have the following week to check out the options and vote, while they work on the new topic. The results could be released with the new hubmob topic and a new poll started for the previous week.

That may actually be a long wait to find out the winner of a week, but you can't really start the poll until Sunday at midnight or at least until the next hubmob topic is released. Then you have to give time for people to vote.

It may be something like this:

Week 1: HubMob topic- Sports
        Week 2: Sports poll starts; New HubMob topic- Gardening
        Week 3: Sports topic winner released; Gardening poll starts; New HubMob topic- Education
        Week 4: Gardening topic winner released; Education poll starts; New HubMob topic- Parenting
        And repeated, as such each week.

There was a similiar discussion on this last night and I opened up that question for Shirley, I am glad that is now on the table. smile

1. Shirley Anderson profile image71
            Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh no, AE!  Did I miss it?  Where'd you ask?  Sorry, I was working until the wee hours, I wasn't ignoring you!

Sounds like Hup's on it and he's the man to ask, anyway.

Don't fret Shirley I love you, it was asked under how hubnuggets came about, no worries. I believe Acco and I were on the same page , talk about minds on the same wave. The question was just asked a little differently. It should be interesting, as it always is on HP , that is why I enjoy it tremendously although I still have my stalker on here and I see him come in through my statistics but that is neither here nor there, at least I am still here and have tremendous support. smile

3. WeddingConsultant profile image66
    WeddingConsultantposted 15 years ago

I like the idea. Oh and rewards are certainly enticing. I thought the stumbleupon reward was a nice treat smile

4. mayhmong profile image75
    mayhmongposted 15 years ago

I made a lot of challenging request! I don't think anybody is up for it!?

May let me check them out.smile

2. Tom Rubenoff profile image88
      Tom Rubenoffposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are always making a challenging request, Mayhmong! 

I think a contest could be fun.  It would be interesting to see the writers' different takes.

5. accofranco profile image79

I am glad to see hubbers welcome the idea.AE u knw u are one of my inspirations,but i didn't read the question if u did asked it,i just thought of it as a way of getting all hubbers to walk more hard and to make hubpages a unique site to attract more members and public admirations.Thanks to u all! Keep the fire burning!

I knew we were on the same wave length..smile

6. Shirley Anderson profile image71
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

AE, I just responded to the other post of yours.  A little slow on my part, sorry.  smile

I love you, too!  You and Accofranco have been putting your creative minds to work, coming up with a new contest like this.  It could very interesting, not to mention motivating.  Bravo to you both!  smile

7. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 15 years ago

Of course many of us will question.

What is the prize? Unless Hubpages itself sponsored such a contest how coould/would prizes be rewarded..Im sure they could easily gain some deals from advertisers to offer as rewards and in return offer dedicated adspace on these prizewinning uberhubs to said advertisers. Or maybe somehow offer a higher ad impression percentage on winning hubs.

But all in all, it seems like hubmobs has this idea covered....to add a prize would take hubpage sponsorship or perhaps some really great organization among participants...like everybody who competes agrees to add a link to the winning article on their submitted hub or even better their off hub blogs or sites.

Good idea but  actual implementation seems difficult to me

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Prize is writing a hub that everyone enjoys and being featured in the blog and maybe weekly newsletter.

They have done contests where a winner wins cash or gift prizes.

It wouldn't be hard to implement since HubMob is already in place and gets decent participation. It would be just like HubNuggets. If it was implemented the way I suggested or in a similar way.

2. accofranco profile image79
      accofrancoposted 15 years agoin reply to this

nice suggestion sun...

8. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I was wondering if we are ever going to have something similar to HubLove again?  That was a great contest because even if you did not win the grand prize, it was a great opportunity for traffic to our hubs.  I really enjoyed the HubLove.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We may request hubpages team to restart hub love .

Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Sweetie, this is the first avatar of you that I actually love smile

1. SweetiePie profile image81
      SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks smile

10. accofranco profile image79

What about hubbers voting for the topic to contested for each week or month? Sweetiepie congrats! U are the hubber of the hour,with 100 hub score,i wish to make like u have one day.Please i need to grow? Misha i love ur c... always.The hublove will be fun!

11. mayhmong profile image75
    mayhmongposted 15 years ago

I am now just discovering my old posts back in the forums?! There's so much more to hub pages than I thought.

12. MarloByDesign profile image79
    MarloByDesignposted 15 years ago

Does anyone know when the next HubPages contest will be?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)