My Pet dog died today

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (39 posts)
  1. sid_candid profile image57
    sid_candidposted 13 years ago

My pet dog died today. I am devastated and it seems will never recover from this tragedy. It almost seems the end of the world for me.

1. profile image49
      Mistress Cleanseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm so sorry to hear this. Animals can be such wonderful companions, and losing them can be as hard sometimes as losing a human friend as well. sad

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sid, you are young and losing someone or something close to you is difficult.
      I am sorry to hear about your pooch, but you know it is all part of life's rich tapestry.
      Look at the wrong side and there are threads going everywhere in a seemingly random pattern, but there is a beautiful picture on the other side.
      In life, you are going to experience many such losses. Each one will seem more cruel than the previous one, but such is life.
      I can only send you my condolences.

3. tritrain profile image70
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry your friend passed away.  I'm sure he had a good, happy life and that is the most you could provide. 

Mine is about 12 or 13 and I dread the day that he passes.

4. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for your loss. I have hope for dogs, though. Their intelligence is not for nothing.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So sorry.  We had to put ours down 2 weeks ago, in fact my wife is on her way right now to pick up the ashes.  For us, each day gets a little easier; we try to focus on the 12 great years rather than the painful last days.

6. Brie Hoffman profile image61
      Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wrote a hub about this called:  Dealing with the Death of Your Dog.  I wrote this after my little dog died and I was soooo depressed I couldn't get out of bed.  I am so sorry for you loss, it's the most painful thing.  It took me 6 months then it finally lifted enough that I could function.  Hang in there, my heart goes out to you.

1. IzzyM profile image87
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seriously?

1. Brie Hoffman profile image61
          Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seriously...have you ever had a pet?

7. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
      mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I really get how you feel big time. I have lost so many pets, but losing my dogs always hit me in a way so much worse than losing any other pet. We lost our greyhound rescue dog last year but one, and I hubbed about it. The comments of support I received made me feel so much better. I know we are not allowed to post actual links to our hubs on forums, but mine finishes with some really comforting and inspiring verses about losing our dogs, including the famous 'Rainbow Bridge'. I have done my best to replicate the link below, but you will need to close the gap in the link in order to read it. I never normally do this, but I think it may help you cope with the grief I know you are going through. My thoughts are sincerely with you. Stay strong, that is what your much loved dog would want until you are reunited again.

http:/ /hubpages.com/hub/My-Beloved-Dog-Died-Yesterday

8. SandyMcCollum profile image63
      SandyMcCollumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aw, I'm so sorry. I just had that horrible experience myself three weeks ago. It doesn't feel like it can ever be okay again, but it will be. Mine was a 12yo black lab named Harley. He had bone cancer. But they are better now and we can see them when we go Home. (((bighug)))

9. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sid, How sad my prayers are with you. We have lost a dog to so I feel your pain. It will take months and I still can't look at his picture. sad My heart goes out to you and keep your head up. If you want to ever e-mail me you can. (((Big Hugs))) Many prayers.

10. L A Dreamin profile image61
      L A Dreaminposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Im very sorry Sid sad

2. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Good thoughts coming your way...

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I'm sorry to hear! It is difficult at any age to lose our pets.
    Your pet was fortunate to have your love and care.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/3591101.jpg

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Sorry to hear and for your loss. hmm

5. profile image53
    broomhandlemauserposted 13 years ago

My method is to have at least two dogs with at least three years difference in their ages .For a start this is good because the young one learns far quicker having an "old hand " from whom to learn and anyway there are  less pecking order problems ,at least I've never had any that caused trouble .Also have a big dog ,or two or three and a small dog or two or three ,they make a hell of a combination .When I had two Dobermanns and three Jack Russells I never locked the house at all ! Happy house and the Siamese cats were the bosses ! Only problem was the cats peed in the toilet and the Dobes drank out of it so had to make sure the lav door was shut ! You do need a big garden or live in the country and be prepared to love and look after them all . Not everyone can do it .When anyone dies you still have the others though animals notice too so you have to give the sensitive ones extra love and attention .This system sorts out the wives and girlfriends too as good discipline is needed at all times .I am not a "doglover" but I'm very fond of mine .

6. AliciaC profile image93
    AliciaCposted 13 years ago

Sid, I am so very sorry. I have gone through the same situation several times. Each time I told myself that I would never get another dog because it was so painful to lose my pets when they died. I loved my dogs dearly -- but after each loss I did eventually end up getting another dog. I still think of my previous dogs with love but enjoy the companionship of my present pets. I know that this is a horrible time for you, and at the moment you probably feel that you could never own another dog, but give yourself time to recover. You will never forget the dog that you have just lost, but you may feel like getting another one eventually.

7. theherbivorehippi profile image65
    theherbivorehippiposted 13 years ago

Oh noooo....I'm so sorry!!! sad I know my dogs are more important to me than any people in my life so I can't even imagine how hard this is for you.  Sending hugs your way! xo

8. profile image50
    Kidney Hurts?posted 13 years ago

so sorry for you sid_candid - it is very hard to lose your pet but it will get better - it just takes time - sounds trite but it is true - my thoughts are with you during this hard and sad period...

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

A big loss Cid. You may be mourning for a while, but you know, in time you will focus on all the good times your companion had with you.
    Sincere condolences mate.

10. sid_candid profile image57
    sid_candidposted 13 years ago

Thanks to all for your kind words and condolences. R.I.P. Matt(My Pet Dog)

11. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

I am really confused now, on one thread you are missing your dog which I sincerely sympathise with, but at the same time exactly you are asking for advice on a new forum thread about a new and unrelated hub and what topic you should place it under. I am assuming that you did love your dog but are 'moving on' far quicker than most people could right now. However, reading the two threads is like reading two unrelated authors right now, so I only hope you are just dealing with your loss in a very much 'keeping busy' kind of way, in which case I still sympathise with you.

1. sid_candid profile image57
      sid_candidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes misty that is way I deal with things hen I am stressed or felling low. I am feeling really depressed at the loss of my beloved pet and am trying to deal with it by keeping busy. Believe me Its not easy. It feels that I should leave everything for a while but incessant sobbing would only hurt my pet's soul and that is the last thing I want.

2. sid_candid profile image57
      sid_candidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes misty that is way I deal with things hen I am stressed or felling low. I am feeling really depressed at the loss of my beloved pet and am trying to deal with it by keeping busy. Believe me Its not easy. It feels that I should leave everything for a while but incessant sobbing would only hurt my pet's soul and that is the last thing I want.

Sorry for the double post.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
        mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

In that case I apologise if my post on your other thread hurt you in any way. Please read my hub on losing my dog, as I am sure it will help, plus I am a former Veterinary Surgery assistant and have loads of experience of the pain these losses cause. It never seems to get any easier, no matter how many pets you lose, and getting another dog will ease the pain, but is in no way a replacement to the one you have lost.

12. Mikeydoes profile image43
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

It is never a good day when your dog dies. Remember the good times, never forget, we usually get a new dog to ease the pain.

13. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

Oh sir_candid, such news is always devastating.  I was feeling alone as I lost 2 dogs and a cat within the last few months, but when I posted here, I found much support and understanding.  I even wrote a couple of hubs about the tragedies.  Your reaction is your reaction, don't listen to folks who tell you to pull up your bootstraps, etc.  Nonsense.
    Relationships are individual and intense with animals, don't ever apologize.

14. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I know it does feel like the end of the world right now. Owwww.
    The loss of a beloved pet is unbelievably painful. As intense as losing a person (actually, more intense than some people!)
    The saying "time heals all wounds" really does apply.
    The stabbing, aching, surreal feeling will slowly recede.
    Life will regain its color.
    You may or may not feel the need to open your heart to a new canine friend (I hope you will).
    Meanwhile, Ihope it helps to know you have friends and supporters here at HP.
    Many of us have walked in your shoes and will walk in them again.

15. cat on a soapbox profile image94
    cat on a soapboxposted 13 years ago

My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry.  You feel as though a part of you is gone and that you will never get over your grief. Time will heal. Try to talk about your feelings and express your sorrow as well as share your memories. It all helps in the healing process. You are not alone.

16. wordscribe43 profile image89
    wordscribe43posted 13 years ago

Sid. I'm so very sorry about your dog.  I had to put my beloved dog to sleep just a few months ago, I truly understand your pain.  It hurts deeply.  They are family members, after all. 

I know what you mean about keeping busy.  I did a lot of that after my dog died, too.  And, it's okay to just break down. 

Just remember how lucky Matt was to have a wonderful owner who loved him so much.  And remember, many of us understand your pain.  You are in my thoughts now...

17. s82a84 profile image60
    s82a84posted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry, I had similar situation like yours in the past. My dog "Teddy" was killed by the truck after we owned him just a month. You're not the only one, we all deal with this sadness, but at the same time we need to move on.

18. Shona Venter profile image60
    Shona Venterposted 13 years ago

Sorry to her that, sid. It's always sad when our pets pass away, because we grow very attached to them and they definitely become part of the family. I hope you're able to feel better soon.

19. BooBooSpence profile image60
    BooBooSpenceposted 13 years ago

I wish U the Best Lov, I too have a beloved Puppy of 13 yrs! smile Yes he is still my pup, as my 26 yr old daughter is still my little girl! Sweetie, Please don't rush out and Get another Dog just yet! You need time to Mourn and to Mourn right, replacing the lost pet is just a temp fix to the pain! feel it,and reflect on all the good times, go thru some pictures you have, set a few out, this will help, talk to a good friend about your loss, Not some person in the work place, or in a Bar. They won't understand, and may /will laugh at the loss, and think you are over reacting, Not tru, this pet shared good times with you, Holidays, etc. Not easy to fill this void, maybe talk to a minister of your church, buttom line, you need to get through this loss before getting another pet,
    best wish's
    BooBoo Spence

20. cindi h profile image60
    cindi hposted 13 years ago

OOHH How sad, I am so sorry!!  Some people just can't understand the loss of a 'pet' but those of us who treat our pets like family know it's as hard as losing a person, sometimes harder because animals are so loving and trusting when people are not always so. Have you heard the story of the little boy who had a beautiful explanation for why dogs don't live as long as humans? Well if you haven't: The family's dog was dying and the vet suggested euthanasia, the parents decided to let the 5 year old observe the procedure as a learning experience. As the family gathered, the little boy remained calm as he gently stroked his pet. Within a few minutes, the dog passed and the boy seemed to accept this without any confusion or difficulty. The family sat for awhile expressing aloud the sad fact that dogs don't live as long as humans. The boy immediately spoke up to say he knew why, " People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life--like loving everybody all the time and being nice, well, dogs already know how to do that so they don't need to stay as long.

21. johncimble profile image52
    johncimbleposted 13 years ago

That's sad to hear, I really love my dog and would be sad if I heard he had died. Best was to get over it in my opinion is to get a new dog to focus your attention on.

22. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image84
    Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 13 years ago

I'm sorry to learn of the passing away of your beloved pet.

23. Maria Cecilia profile image83
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

hi how are you now? I know the feeling, that is why I always panic when my dogs are sick. Last year my dog pissy died and I felt devastated too, but God gave me sign that I should move on because I still have another dog the needed my attention....

though I had many dogs in the past and it was normal that they have a shorter life span than human, still can get use to the feeling of loss... but pet owners like us will pray for each other... I hope you'll get better soon

24. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 13 years ago

Hi, so sorry to hear about your dog!!!! I am on my 5th dog and I know exactly how you feel having now lost 4. It is devastating and heartbreaking. It is an old cliche but true, that time is a great healer. One day you will be able to remember your pet without the pain you haven now. And, silly or not, I do believe they go onto a better place like us folks. So take heart, your dog is not that far away. Will be thinking about you and sending you blessings!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)